• Global Commands

From Bloodfire@VERT/BTLGRND to All on Tue Feb 19 19:57:00 2002
    Anyone know how I can configure Global Commands, and can I only use CTRL-Key as a global command? Looked in the default command shell, didnt see it there.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Battleground BBS | Battleground.dyndns.org
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Bloodfire on Tue Feb 19 19:35:02 2002
    Re: Global Commands
    By: Bloodfire to All on Tue Feb 19 2002 07:57 pm

Anyone know how I can configure Global Commands,

Configurable global commands aren't support (internally, at least) in the current release and beta of Synchronet. v3.10g does add support for global commands, however.

and can I only use CTRL-Keys as a global command?

Yes. Otherwise, they would interfere with normal operations. Imagine if you use the letter 'T' for a global command. How would you send e-mail to Tom?

digital man

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Evan Elias@VERT to Digital Man on Wed Feb 20 11:10:57 2002
    By: Digital Man to Bloodfire on Tue Feb 19 2002 07:35 pm

Yes. Otherwise, they would interfere with normal operations. Imagine if you the letter 'T' for a global command. How would you send e-mail to Tom?

Well, using ordinary letters wouldn't work well for obvious reasons, but there's many alternatives to CTRL keys. Several BBS packages have globals begin with a / or an =... for example, listing who's online in WG is done by typing =# or /# at the start of a line. I guess the difference comes into play that WG is not hotkey-based while Sync (usually) is though... but I still
    find myself trying to to /# on Sync boards from time to time, old habits are hard to break :(

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Evan Elias on Wed Feb 20 13:09:19 2002
    By: Evan Elias to Digital Man on Wed Feb 20 2002 11:10 am

Yes. Otherwise, they would interfere with normal operations. Imagine if y the letter 'T' for a global command. How would you send e-mail to Tom?

Well, using ordinary letters wouldn't work well for obvious reasons, but there's many alternatives to CTRL keys. Several BBS packages have globals begin with a / or an =... for example, listing who's online in WG is done by typing =# or /# at the start of a line. I guess the difference comes into p that WG is not hotkey-based while Sync (usually) is though... but I still find myself trying to to /# on Sync boards from time to time, old habits are hard to break :(

Those types of global commands would interfere with other features/functions of the classic Synchronet command shell, the internal message editor, and eventually external programs/doorgames. Ctrl keys have a lot fewer conflicts.

-Rob

digital man

---
  • From Bloodfire@VERT/BTLGRND to All on Wed Feb 20 19:34:00 2002
    RE: Global Commands
    BY: to Bloodfire on Tue Feb 19 2002 07:35 pm

Configurable global commands aren't support (internally, at least) in the current release and beta of Synchronet. v3.10g does add support for global commands, however.
    Yes. Otherwise, they would interfere with normal operations. Imagine if you the letter 'T' for a global command. How would you send e-mail to Tom?
    digital man
    Ok thanks, It's not a problem really, Just woulda been nice to customize my menu's even more.Just starting to understand the Baja scripts, Already changed a few menu commands, woulda been nice to change the Globals.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Battleground BBS | Battleground.dyndns.org
  • From Evan Elias@VERT to Digital Man on Wed Feb 20 23:17:33 2002
    By: Digital Man to Evan Elias on Wed Feb 20 2002 01:09 pm

Yes. Otherwise, they would interfere with normal operations. Imagine i the letter 'T' for a global command. How would you send e-mail to Tom?

Well, using ordinary letters wouldn't work well for obvious reasons, but there's many alternatives to CTRL keys. Several BBS packages have global begin with a / or an =... for example, listing who's online in WG is done typing =# or /# at the start of a line. I guess the difference comes int that WG is not hotkey-based while Sync (usually) is though... but I still find myself trying to to /# on Sync boards from time to time, old habits hard to break :(

Those types of global commands would interfere with other features/functions the classic Synchronet command shell, the internal message editor, and eventually external programs/doorgames. Ctrl keys have a lot fewer conflicts

I meant from a strictly optional / sysop-configurable standpoint, definitely not something that would be automatically enabled... I was thinking of something like a Globals sysop editor, simply allowing certain keystrokes (or combinations) to be associated with a javascript file, and then perhaps a flag system to configure which Globals were enabled for each command shell, and additionally an option on each door/external to disable all globals for users in that program. That would pretty much take care of conflicts, but on the other hand I'm sure it'd be a less-than-fun addition to make to the source, so I can kinda understand sticking to the control keys.

I think the way mbbs/wg did it was all input from the user was first routed to the globals package (basically a module that the sysop chose to install... there were several different globals packages available from different 3rd-party developers). The globals module would check if the input was one of its global commands; if it was, it would processs it. If not, it would pass the input back to the BBS, which would then send the input to the appropriate bbs module (menu system, game, or whatever). And I think there was an option to disable the globals for any given module, in this case the BBS simply wouldn't send anything to the globals module first. It worked pretty well, no conflicts anyway. For modules like the full-screen editor, globals were automatically disabled so no problems there.

---
  • From SprayPaint@TRGYM to Digital Man on Wed Feb 23 05:17:00 2005
    ok i would like to do something sort of like the sysops menu useing ;String
    for the commands... how ever i was thinking of back to that darn MBBS/WG
    thing again of a global package and using the key i was used to like " ' "
    or the " ~ " how ever i wanted to do a who's on but cant seem to locate the CTRL Key menu i know that ^U is who's online but what does it call...

and if i wanted to have one for sending a message to another node what is
    that command... basically i want to by pass the ^P and go right to message
    mode

SprayPaint

"Digital Man" <digital.man@VERT> wrote in message news:3C739FFF.1406.bajaprog@vert.synchro.net...
    By: Evan Elias to Digital Man on Wed Feb 20 2002 11:10 am

Yes. Otherwise, they would interfere with normal operations. Imagine
    if y
    the letter 'T' for a global command. How would you send e-mail to
    Tom?

Well, using ordinary letters wouldn't work well for obvious reasons,
    but
    there's many alternatives to CTRL keys. Several BBS packages have
    globals
    begin with a / or an =... for example, listing who's online in WG is
    done by
    typing =# or /# at the start of a line. I guess the difference comes
    into p
    that WG is not hotkey-based while Sync (usually) is though... but I
    still
    find myself trying to to /# on Sync boards from time to time, old
    habits are
    hard to break :(

Those types of global commands would interfere with other
    features/functions of
    the classic Synchronet command shell, the internal message editor, and eventually external programs/doorgames. Ctrl keys have a lot fewer
    conflicts.

-Rob

digital man

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net

• From Digital Man@VERT to SprayPaint on Wed Feb 23 20:08:52 2005
    Re: Re: Global Commands
    By: SprayPaint to Digital Man on Tue Feb 22 2005 09:17 pm

ok i would like to do something sort of like the sysops menu useing ;String for the commands... how ever i was thinking of back to that darn MBBS/WG thing again of a global package and using the key i was used to like " ' " or the " ~ " how ever i wanted to do a who's on but cant seem to locate the CTRL Key menu i know that ^U is who's online but what does it call...

and if i wanted to have one for sending a message to another node what is that command... basically i want to by pass the ^P and go right to message mode

I'm not really sure what want to do. Perhaps SCFG->External Programs->Global Hot Key Events is what you're looking for? You can use these to launch any Baja or JavaScript module at the press of a ctrl key.

digital man

Snapple "Real Fact" #77:
    No piece of paper can be folded more than 7 times.

---
  • From SprayPaint@TRGYM to Digital Man on Wed Feb 23 23:11:00 2005
    ok i would like to do something sort of like the sysops menu useing
    ;String
    for the commands... how ever i was thinking of back to that darn
    MBBS/WG
    thing again of a global package and using the key i was used to like "
    ' "
    or the " ~ " how ever i wanted to do a who's on but cant seem to locate
    the
    CTRL Key menu i know that ^U is who's online but what does it call...

and if i wanted to have one for sending a message to another node what
    is
    that command... basically i want to by pass the ^P and go right to

I'm not really sure what want to do. Perhaps SCFG->External
    Programs->Global
    Hot Key Events is what you're looking for? You can use these to launch any
    Baja
    or JavaScript module at the press of a ctrl key.

digital man

OK lets try it this way...one thing at a time... sorry my mind is always 20 miles ahead of my hands
    Baja Command PRIVATE_MESSAGE
    This function is used for private internode messages, telegrams, or chat.
    Same as the Ctrl-P initiated function.

can i just have a key defined to send inernode messages only, rather than giving them the choice like the Crtl-P

The same thing for the who's online Ctrl-U gives just who is online, i would like to be able to do the same thing but not use the Ctrl-U

and yes i understand that the Ctrl-Keys are contained in the C++ code for
    the EXE it self i just wanted to make a sort of uniform globals package, i
    am working on a more indepth Major BBS clone,

which makes me need to ask another question, does the chat offer any way to
    use the sysop functions like uedit or do i need to mod the chat source files and recomplie?

SprayPaint
  • From Digital Man@VERT to SprayPaint on Thu Feb 24 05:30:01 2005
    Re: Re: Global Commands
    By: SprayPaint to Digital Man on Wed Feb 23 2005 03:11 pm

ok i would like to do something sort of like the sysops menu useing
    ;String
    for the commands... how ever i was thinking of back to that darn
    MBBS/WG
    thing again of a global package and using the key i was used to like "
    ' "
    or the " ~ " how ever i wanted to do a who's on but cant seem to locate
    the
    CTRL Key menu i know that ^U is who's online but what does it call...

and if i wanted to have one for sending a message to another node what
    is
    that command... basically i want to by pass the ^P and go right to

I'm not really sure what want to do. Perhaps SCFG->External
    Programs->Global
    Hot Key Events is what you're looking for? You can use these to launch any
    Baja
    or JavaScript module at the press of a ctrl key.

OK lets try it this way...one thing at a time... sorry my mind is always 20 miles ahead of my hands
    Baja Command PRIVATE_MESSAGE
    This function is used for private internode messages, telegrams, or chat. Same as the Ctrl-P initiated function.

can i just have a key defined to send inernode messages only, rather than giving them the choice like the Crtl-P

Yes. But you'll need to use JavaScript instead of Baja as it has finer-grained control over those facilities. See http://synchro.net/docs/jsobjs.html for details.

The same thing for the who's online Ctrl-U gives just who is online, i would like to be able to do the same thing but not use the Ctrl-U

Absolutely.

and yes i understand that the Ctrl-Keys are contained in the C++ code for the EXE it self i just wanted to make a sort of uniform globals package, i am working on a more indepth Major BBS clone,

which makes me need to ask another question, does the chat offer any way to use the sysop functions like uedit or do i need to mod the chat source files and recomplie?

You'd need to either write a chat module in JS (see exec/irc.js for an example) or modify the C++ source and recompile.

digital man

Snapple "Real Fact" #97:
    A turkey can run at 20mph.

---
  • From Tracker1@VERT/TRN to SprayPaint on Sat Feb 26 09:06:00 2005
    SprayPaint wrote:
    and yes i understand that the Ctrl-Keys are contained in the C++ code
    for the EXE it self i just wanted to make a sort of uniform globals
    package, i am working on a more indepth Major BBS clone,

which makes me need to ask another question, does the chat offer any
    way to use the sysop functions like uedit or do i need to mod the chat source files and recomplie?

actually, you can replace ctrl-key hotkey menus within sync itself, it's
    in the scfg.exe -> external programs ... you can specify a *bajamod or a ?javascript mod .. this can override ctrl-p/u .. if you go to my board,
    you can see what I did here.. :)

Unless it is a hardcoded area (like file listing, or message reading
    (the headers are fully modable)), you *REALLY* don't need to touch the
    c/c++ source to change *anything* in the telnet interface.

--
    Michael J. Ryan - tracker1(at)theroughnecks(dot)net - www.theroughnecks.net icq: 4935386 - AIM/AOL: azTracker1 - Y!: azTracker1 - MSN/Win: (email)

---
    þ Synchronet þ theroughnecks.net - you know you want it