• make the bbs machine beep

From Veetid@VERT/ALKY to All on Fri Jul 20 01:22:00 2001
    I've programmed a baja mod that jazzes up the sysop pager.. it's mostly cosmetic, but there are a few handy features.. asks why the person wants to page the sysop, logs the reason., etc..

Question is.. what would be the best way to make the bbs machine beep on the sysop's end? sending beeps to the user is simple.. use the @beep@ code.. but I want to hear it on the bbs machine too..

I'm sure there are workarounds.. but I'm looking for something to just beep
    as my percent-o-meter goes up during the page.. nothing fancy..

|04°±²Û|07 veetid

..."What?!? This isn't the Files section?!?"

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alcoholiday - The kinder, gentler buzz! alcoholiday.thebbs.org
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Veetid on Fri Jul 20 14:23:02 2001
    RE: make the bbs machine beep
    BY: Veetid to All on Fri Jul 20 2001 01:22 am

I've programmed a baja mod that jazzes up the sysop pager.. it's mostly cosmetic, but there are a few handy features.. asks why the person wants to page the sysop, logs the reason., etc..

Question is.. what would be the best way to make the bbs machine beep on the sysop's end? sending beeps to the user is simple.. use the @beep@ code.. but want to hear it on the bbs machine too..

I'm sure there are workarounds.. but I'm looking for something to just beep as my percent-o-meter goes up during the page.. nothing fancy..

There is currently no "local beep" Baja function. :-(

-Rob

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Spaceman Spiff@VERT/STARMAIL to Veetid on Sun Aug 26 23:21:00 2001

Question is.. what would be the best way to make the bbs machine beep on the sysop's end? sending beeps to the user is simple.. use the @beep@ code.. but want to hear it on the bbs machine too..

I'm sure there are workarounds.. but I'm looking for something to just beep as my percent-o-meter goes up during the page.. nothing fancy..

|04°±²Û|07 veetid

Why not have it play a MP3 you recorded using MediaPlayer.

---
    þ Synchronet þ STAR STATION BBS <> Telnet <> Under the Moon )
  • From Spaceman Spiff@VERT/STARMAIL to Veetid on Sun Aug 26 23:32:00 2001

|04°±²Û|07 veetid

I went into SBBS config,

External Sysop Chat Pagers

[Insert] a new one
    Command Line %!mplayer2 sysopage.wav
    Access Requirements Level 50

you could do this with any requirement or user flag,
    people worthy of getting your attention can get a level or flag that triggers a specific WAV to play.

You could set up a bunch of wavs for new users, friends and family...

you really don't have to go into baja, but you may still be able to execute an external program from in a baja script, I haven't played with it.
    Oh the above command line, I think I put a copy of mplayer2.exe into my exec directory with the wav files.

hope this helps.

Ok, after checking this out I found my pager stopped working, It used to work as is, I am now running SBBS 3.1b .....

I changed my program to call from mplayer2 to mediaplayer and it still would not work, I looked at the properties of the file sysopager2.wav and found media player was looking for it in C:\SBBS\CTRL not EXEC like I had it, so I moved
    a copy of the wav file to the SBBS\ctrl\ directory and it works again.

I am not sure what happened here. But this seemed to fix the problem.

---
  • From Jas Hud@VERT to Spaceman Spiff on Mon Aug 27 08:27:49 2001
    BY: Spaceman Spiff to Veetid on Sun Aug 26 2001 11:21 pm

I've programmed a baja mod that jazzes up the sysop pager.. it's mostly cosmetic, but there are a few handy features.. asks why the person wants page the sysop, logs the reason., etc..

Question is.. what would be the best way to make the bbs machine beep on sysop's end? sending beeps to the user is simple.. use the @beep@ code.. want to hear it on the bbs machine too..

I'm sure there are workarounds.. but I'm looking for something to just be as my percent-o-meter goes up during the page.. nothing fancy..

|04°±²Û|07 veetid

or better yet..use that sound.js to play a wav file.
    speaking of sounds..i'm looking for a "modem connect" wav for when i get a caller..i use a ring.wav.. but i want the actual modem music..
    if ya got one please send it to eob_bbs@dork.com, i'll trade
    you a doormud reg code for it! just kidding evan. (evan is ignoring me, had to get his attention somehow.)
    also, if the guy wantst the beeping..cant he just use the shell to dos with echo ^G? if you want to go ole sk00l.

---
  • From Spaceman Spiff@VERT/STARMAIL to Jas Hud on Tue Aug 28 22:03:00 2001

speaking of sounds..i'm looking for a "modem connect" wav for when i get a caller..i use a ring.wav.. but i want the actual modem music..
    you a doormud reg code for it! just kidding evan. (evan is ignoring me, had get his attention somehow.)
    also, if the guy wantst the beeping..cant he just use the shell to dos with echo ^G? if you want to go ole sk00l.

I would Make you a modem sound wav, but I no longer have modems in my machines, how about the sound of a nic card. <:

---
  • From Jas Hud@VERT to Spaceman Spiff on Tue Sep 4 10:36:18 2001
    BY: Spaceman Spiff to Jas Hud on Tue Aug 28 2001 10:03 pm

speaking of sounds..i'm looking for a "modem connect" wav for when i get caller..i use a ring.wav.. but i want the actual modem music..
    you a doormud reg code for it! just kidding evan. (evan is ignoring me, h get his attention somehow.)
    also, if the guy wantst the beeping..cant he just use the shell to dos wi echo ^G? if you want to go ole sk00l.

I would Make you a modem sound wav, but I no longer have modems in my machin how about the sound of a nic card. <:

go ahead, i'll load it up with sndrec and distort it! :}

---