• Question...

From Drakmir@VERT/HD1 to All on Mon Jul 23 20:42:00 2001
    First of all, I hope this got to everyone. (New to Dove-Net)

If so, then I hope you folks can help me out! :)

I'd like to force a "new message scan" of a particular message board regardless of the user's settings before the main menu shows up.

Right now, I have the scan part down flat......but I can't retain the user's old message board settings and restore them. I tried using SPRINTF with "@SN@" and "@GN@", but it appears that these codes are not translated with a SPRINTF... I can't seem to find any variable anywhere that would give me the internal code or number of the group & sub-board.

Right now, here is the basic BAJA code:

# Message scan the Sysop menu...
    #str msggrp
    #str msgsub
    #sprintf msggrp "@GN@"
    #sprintf msgsub "@SN@"

setstr "SYSTEM"
    msg_set_group
    setstr "NOTICES"
    msg_set_group
    msg_new_scan_sub
    crlf
    pause

I'd obviously like to set the board back to the previous settings when this is done! :)

Any ideas???

Thanks!

Drakmir

---
    þ Synchronet þ --- Holodeck One (bbs.holodeckone.net 2002) ---
  • From Drakmir@VERT/HD1 to Drakmir on Sun Jul 29 01:28:00 2001
    RE: Question...
    BY: Drakmir to All on Mon Jul 23 2001 08:42 pm

Guess there is no BAJA programming happening anywhere? Or is this message board just dead?

:)

Alan

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Drakmir on Sun Jul 29 19:37:57 2001
    BY: Drakmir to Drakmir on Sun Jul 29 2001 01:28 am

Guess there is no BAJA programming happening anywhere? Or is this message board just dead?

I don't know. Maybe everyone is waiting for JavaScript?

-Rob

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Drakmir@VERT/HD1 to Digital Man on Sun Jul 29 21:54:00 2001
    BY: Digital Man to Drakmir on Sun Jul 29 2001 07:37 pm

Didn't even realize you were working on JavaScript for Synchronet. :) Good things come I suppose. :)

Is the alpha stable enough to put up, or should we wait for an official 3.10?

Alan

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Drakmir on Sun Jul 29 22:46:16 2001
    BY: Drakmir to Digital Man on Sun Jul 29 2001 09:54 pm

Didn't even realize you were working on JavaScript for Synchronet. :) Good things come I suppose. :)

Yeah, I suppose. :-)

Is the alpha stable enough to put up, or should we wait for an official 3.10

That's a decision you'll have to make for yourself. I'm running v3.10 (and have been for months), if that's any indication of its stability.

-Rob

---
  • From Drakmir@VERT/HD1 to Digital Man on Mon Jul 30 00:59:00 2001
    BY: Digital Man to Drakmir on Sun Jul 29 2001 10:46 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll test out 3.10 sometime in the next few days.

An annoyance that I've noticed is that when you go into the USER_DEFAULTS mode, a "N" character keeps popping up. It isn't a big issue when hotkeys are off, but when they are on, the N keeps toggling the "New Scan" option and kinda makes the hotkeys unusable. :)

Otherwise, this is an incredible BBS program. I'm very happy to have it available to the community. Are you accepting any sorts of donations for the continued development of it?

Sorry if this message got off topic. If you want to move it to a more relevant subgroup of Dove-Net, by all means :)

Alan

P.S. - I can't seem to get CTL-U to work in the SBBS SyncEdit program...it always tells me "Aborting..." and boots me to the normal BBS. Thus the reason I don't quote previous text in my answers....

---
  • From Evan Elias@VERT to Drakmir on Mon Jul 30 14:26:59 2001
    BY: Drakmir to Digital Man on Mon Jul 30 2001 12:59 am

P.S. - I can't seem to get CTL-U to work in the SBBS SyncEdit program...it >always tells me "Aborting..." and boots me to the normal BBS. Thus the reason >I don't quote previous text in my answers....

I often had problems quoting with SyncEdit too... it wouldn't abort me like you're describing, but instead it would often say "No message to quote!" even though I was posting a reply. (Shrug? I'm using WWIVedit on here now instead)

Oh well, more motivation for me to write my own FSE someday soon I suppose :) IF/when I did get around to that, it'll be 32-bit and won't have a local window (no taskbar clutter), fun fun.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Drakmir on Mon Jul 30 15:07:20 2001
    BY: Drakmir to Digital Man on Mon Jul 30 2001 12:59 am

Thanks for the input. I'll test out 3.10 sometime in the next few days.

An annoyance that I've noticed is that when you go into the USER_DEFAULTS mo a "N" character keeps popping up. It isn't a big issue when hotkeys are off but when they are on, the N keeps toggling the "New Scan" option and kinda makes the hotkeys unusable. :)

This isn't normal. What telnet client are you using? It sounds like it's not handling the ANSI screen-length detection properly. You can either set the screen length to a fixed number or try using a different telnet client.

Otherwise, this is an incredible BBS program. I'm very happy to have it available to the community. Are you accepting any sorts of donations for th continued development of it?

No, but thanks for the thought.

P.S. - I can't seem to get CTL-U to work in the SBBS SyncEdit program...it always tells me "Aborting..." and boots me to the normal BBS. Thus the reas I don't quote previous text in my answers....

Use a different editor perhaps? Other people have reported problems with quoting in SyncEdit and I don't remember what the solution (if any) was.

-Rob

---
  • From Veetid@VERT/ALKY to Digital Man on Tue Jul 31 00:13:00 2001
    BY: Digital Man to Drakmir on Mon Jul 30 2001 03:07 pm

An annoyance that I've noticed is that when you go into the USER_DEFAULTS a "N" character keeps popping up. It isn't a big issue when hotkeys are but when they are on, the N keeps toggling the "New Scan" option and kind makes the hotkeys unusable. :)

This isn't normal. What telnet client are you using? It sounds like it's not handling the ANSI screen-length detection properly. You can either set the

This was happening to me as well. It only seems to do it when you are using certain versions of hyperterminal. You may try upgrading to the newest
    version of hyperterminal, or better yet, mTelnet, which is old school and
    free and just plain cool. hehe

P.S. - I can't seem to get CTL-U to work in the SBBS SyncEdit program...i always tells me "Aborting..." and boots me to the normal BBS. Thus the r I don't quote previous text in my answers....

I had the same problem. I fixed it by upgrading to syncedit 2.5. With Rob's new fossil routines, you may also use the excellent IceEdit. If you need any help setting it up, let me know.

|05[ |15veetid |05 // |15alcoholiday! |05]

-+- IceEdit 2.35+

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alcoholiday - The kinder, gentler buzz! alcoholiday.thebbs.org
  • From Drakmir@VERT/HD1 to Digital Man on Mon Jul 30 21:15:00 2001

I'm using HyperTerminal that came with Windows 2000. And I get the "N" bug on your BBS also. :) (vert)

Alan

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Drakmir on Tue Jul 31 11:58:02 2001
    BY: Drakmir to Digital Man on Mon Jul 30 2001 09:15 pm

I'm using HyperTerminal that came with Windows 2000. And I get the "N" bug your BBS also. :) (vert)

That's strange, I don't get it. You may want to try either upgrading to HyperTerm Private Edition v6.x or changing your terminal-type in the properties to "ANSI" (if it's not already).

-Rob

---
  • From Midnight@VERT/MIDNIGHT to Drakmir on Sun Jul 29 22:17:00 2001
    Drakmir wrote to Drakmir <=-

BY: Drakmir to All on Mon Jul 23 2001 08:42 pm

Guess there is no BAJA programming happening anywhere? Or is this
    message board just dead?

Well, I for one am not sure if we should just ask Baja questions, or UL
    Baja source for all to see...

Midnight

... "Captain, why not just give the Borg a 286 and Windows NT
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.35
    þ Synchronet þ The Magick Shoppe : magick.darktech.org
  • From Willowolf@VERT/WOLFGROT to Drakmir on Tue Jul 31 03:40:00 2001
    BY: Drakmir to Digital Man on Mon Jul 30 2001 09:15 pm

I'm using HyperTerminal that came with Windows 2000. And I get the "N" bug your BBS also. :) (vert)

Alan

Do you mean the Win2k standard telnet client? Or are you dialing in with a modem?

Confused...
    \\/olf

---
    þ Synchronet þ Wolf Grotto - Las Vegas, NV - telnet://wolfgrotto.2y.net
  • From Willowolf@VERT/WOLFGROT to Veetid on Tue Jul 31 03:46:00 2001
    BY: Veetid to Digital Man on Tue Jul 31 2001 12:13 am

An annoyance that I've noticed is that when you go into the USER_DEFAU a "N" character keeps popping up. It isn't a big issue when hotkeys a but when they are on, the N keeps toggling the "New Scan" option and k makes the hotkeys unusable. :)

I haven't noticed the N character pop up bug, but I am using mTel. I have noticed that when logging on as a new user on my own BBS and using mTel to telnet to it from the BBS computer (same computer), when the new user log on gets to the defaults section the defaults section shows up, then the screen redraws all black and I am left with only a blinking cursor where the defaults prompt is. If I hit 'Q' it continues... Weird... I think it must be the Alpha version of mTel I am using... I am going to switch to an older version and see if it does it still... Got me thinking... It doesn't do it from any other computer on my LAN, only the BBS system.

\\/olf

---
  • From Willowolf@VERT/WOLFGROT to Willowolf on Tue Jul 31 04:16:00 2001
    BY: Willowolf to Veetid on Tue Jul 31 2001 03:46 am

I haven't noticed the N character pop up bug, but I am using mTel. I h noticed that when logging on as a new user on my own BBS and using mTel to telnet to it from the BBS computer (same computer), when the new user log on gets to the defaults section the defaults section shows up, then the screen redraws all black and I am left with only a blinking cursor where the defaul prompt is. If I hit 'Q' it continues... Weird... I think it must be the Alpha version of mTel I am using... I am going to switch to an older versio and see if it does it still... Got me thinking... It doesn't do it from an other computer on my LAN, only the BBS system.

I was right... The Alpha version of mTel is the reason I was having this problem. It doesn't seem to do it with the beta 6 release. (The Alpha
    Version says beta 8 at the top). I'm probably the only one that had this problem, but now you know what to expect if you download beta 8 or alpha and this happens to you.

Take care,
    \\/olf

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Willowolf on Tue Jul 31 16:30:12 2001
    BY: Willowolf to Drakmir on Tue Jul 31 2001 03:40 am

I'm using HyperTerminal that came with Windows 2000. And I get the "N" b your BBS also. :) (vert)

Alan

Do you mean the Win2k standard telnet client? Or are you dialing in wi a modem?

Newer versions of HyperTerminal (and HyperTerminal Private Edition) support TCP/IP (Telnet) connections.

-Rob

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Willowolf on Tue Jul 31 16:33:00 2001
    BY: Willowolf to Willowolf on Tue Jul 31 2001 04:16 am

I haven't noticed the N character pop up bug, but I am using mTel. noticed that when logging on as a new user on my own BBS and using mTel t telnet to it from the BBS computer (same computer), when the new user log gets to the defaults section the defaults section shows up, then the scre redraws all black and I am left with only a blinking cursor where the def prompt is. If I hit 'Q' it continues... Weird... I think it must be th Alpha version of mTel I am using... I am going to switch to an older ver and see if it does it still... Got me thinking... It doesn't do it from other computer on my LAN, only the BBS system.

I was right... The Alpha version of mTel is the reason I was having th problem. It doesn't seem to do it with the beta 6 release. (The Alpha Version says beta 8 at the top). I'm probably the only one that had this problem, but now you know what to expect if you download beta 8 or alpha and this happens to you.

Other people have reported the same problem with mTelnet. Its good to know the older versions dont' have that problem.

-Rob

---
  • From Hax0r@VERT/HAX0RQWK to Digital Man on Tue Jul 31 18:01:00 2001

Guess there is no BAJA programming happening anywhere? Or is this messa board just dead?

i've been doing some work in baja -- nothing major, just light bars and stuff. cant say if i'm going to do that much in javascript right off the bat, but it looks to be a bit more flexible than baja (in certain respects).... i like baja anyways.

---
    þ Synchronet þ .. hax0r's palace .. you've just been hax0r'd ..
  • From Hax0r@VERT/HAX0RQWK to Digital Man on Tue Jul 31 18:03:00 2001

P.S. - I can't seem to get CTL-U to work in the SBBS SyncEdit program... always tells me "Aborting..." and boots me to the normal BBS. Thus the I don't quote previous text in my answers....

Use a different editor perhaps? Other people have reported problems with quoting in SyncEdit and I don't remember what the solution (if any) was.

under Windows 2000 Syncedit will bomb with a runtime error when you attempt to quote a message. i'm not quite sure why it does this, but it does.

---
  • From Drakmir@VERT/HD1 to Digital Man on Tue Jul 31 16:44:00 2001
    BY: Digital Man to Drakmir on Tue Jul 31 2001 11:58 am

No prob. I'll upgarde to HT Private Edition tonight. :)

Alan

---
  • From Drakmir@VERT/HD1 to Willowolf on Tue Jul 31 21:34:00 2001

Windows 2000 comes with HyperTerminal. HyperTerminal can be used instead of Microsoft Telnet.

Microsoft Telnet has all sorts of problems connecting to Synchronet. (Pauses every 6-7 lines)

Alan

---
  • From Veetid@VERT/ALKY to Hax0r on Wed Aug 1 00:40:00 2001
    BY: Hax0r to Digital Man on Tue Jul 31 2001 06:03 pm

under Windows 2000 Syncedit will bomb with a runtime error when you attempt quote a message. i'm not quite sure why it does this, but it does.

that's why I finally had to switch to iceedit.. :)

|05[ |15veetid |05 // |15alcoholiday! |05]

-+- IceEdit 2.35+

---
  • From Eris@VERT/TOOM to Drakmir on Tue Jul 31 23:45:00 2001
    BY: Drakmir to Willowolf on Tue Jul 31 2001 09:34 pm

Windows 2000 comes with HyperTerminal. HyperTerminal can be used instead of Microsoft Telnet.

Microsoft Telnet has all sorts of problems connecting to Synchronet. (Pause every 6-7 lines)

Alan

I use BOTH, regularly, and have no trouble.. the telnet pause can be remedied by hitting D at the main menu, and selecting the page length...

---
    þ Synchronet þ telnet://toom.mine.nu - It's a great day to be alive.
  • From Willowolf@VERT/WOLFGROT to Drakmir on Wed Aug 1 01:19:00 2001

Microsoft Telnet has all sorts of problems connecting to Synchronet. (Pause every 6-7 lines)

I did not know that, and all this time I have been using the telnet client. I did figure out how to fix the line pause problem. It has to do with Synchronet auto-detecting them. All one needs to do is set their rows to 25 instead of auto detect and that fixes the problem. I have noticed other problems with the telnet client in Win2k, however, mainly with WWIVEdit and quoting.

\\/olf

---
  • From Terminator@VERT/CHATFREE to Drakmir on Wed Aug 1 10:57:00 2001
    BY: Drakmir to Willowolf on Tue Jul 31 2001 21:34:00

Alan

Check the settings in your user option on he bbs.

Phillip Taylor

---
    þ Synchronet þ Check out the best bbs by telneting to bbs.chatfree.org
  • From Crtaz@VERT to Digital Man on Thu Aug 2 13:25:00 2001

Yes!!!! :)

---
  • From Hax0r@VERT/HAX0RQWK to Drakmir on Thu Aug 2 18:21:00 2001

Microsoft Telnet has all sorts of problems connecting to Synchronet. (Paus every 6-7 lines)

its actually not a "problem".. upon the initial connection, Synchronet detects the screen length to be 10 lines, and thats why the pauses occur. you can "set" you screen length from 'autodetect' to 25 lines in the User defaults and all will be fine

---
  • From evilbob@VERT/SNBOOT to Veetid on Thu Aug 2 22:18:00 2001
    BY: Veetid to Hax0r on Wed Aug 01 2001 12:40 am

under Windows 2000 Syncedit will bomb with a runtime error when you attem quote a message. i'm not quite sure why it does this, but it does.

that's why I finally had to switch to iceedit.. :)

real men use the internal Synchronet line editor :)
    heh, I actually find it easier to use than any of those fancy-ass editors

---
    þ Synchronet þ SNB
  • From Amcleod@VERT to evilbob on Fri Aug 3 06:36:21 2001
    BY: evilbob to Veetid on Thu Aug 02 2001 10:18 pm

Absolutely!

The only external editor I'd be interested in would be 'vi' but DM won't install it! :-)

---
  • From Willowolf@VERT/WOLFGROT to evilbob on Fri Aug 3 11:30:00 2001

Have you figured out how to insert characters within a line of text without erasing what has already been writtin? That's the only thing that bugs me about the internal editor... Oh, BTW, I'm using it right now. :)

\\/olf

---
  • From Veetid@VERT/ALKY to Amcleod on Fri Aug 3 13:55:00 2001
    BY: Amcleod to evilbob on Fri Aug 03 2001 06:36 am

Absolutely!

The only external editor I'd be interested in would be 'vi' but DM won't

You guys are nuts :) I used the line editor for months actually.. but it's nice being able to back up several lines without repeatedly using the "/d" command and retying everything.. heehh..

|05[ |15veetid |05// |15alcoholiday! |05]

---
  • From Amcleod@VERT to Willowolf on Fri Aug 3 21:14:10 2001
    BY: Willowolf to evilbob on Fri Aug 03 2001 11:30 am

Have you figured out how to insert characters within a line of text without erasing what has already been writtin? That's the only thing that b me about the internal editor... Oh, BTW, I'm using it right now. :)

Move to the insertion point (cursor keys, Ctrl-B, Ctrl-E, Ctrl-\, Ctrl-N, etc) and then press Ctrl-V. That turns on "insert mode". Press Ctrl-V again to turn it off again.

Sneekee trick I use under KDE: I move to the insertion point, highlight everything on that line to the RIGHT of the insertion point, press Ctrl-Y to delete to end-of-line, type my extra word, and then Ctrl-Insert to paste back. It's cheating, since I'm not technically inserting at all, but I like to leverage the power of the KDE console cut-n-paste feature.

---
  • From Amcleod@VERT to Veetid on Fri Aug 3 21:18:52 2001
    BY: Veetid to Amcleod on Fri Aug 03 2001 01:55 pm

You guys are nuts :)

Very probably. Either that or we have big nuts.

I used the line editor for months actually.. but it's nice being able to back up several lines without repeatedly using the "/d" command and retying everything.. heehh..

Just use /I to insert blank lines. Then move back to the blank lines with the cursor, type your extra text and then cursor back down again.

---
  • From Deathridder@VERT/DBTR to evilbob on Fri Aug 3 22:32:00 2001

Thats all i uses, really never had a problem with it, works great!.
    I run win98SE.
    It been acting strangely laterly, after installing 3.10,
    "ANYONE else have troubles?"bBut i've been working around it.

ROB you see that " [8;1H " after win98SE, it happens when i hit return sometimes...
    any idea?
    DeathRidder

---
    þ Synchronet þ Down By The River BBS - telnet://dbtr.dyndns.org (1:229/418)
  • From Deathridder@VERT/DBTR to Deathridder on Fri Aug 3 22:36:00 2001
    BY: Deathridder to evilbob on Fri Aug 03 2001 10:32 pm

ROB you see that " [8;1H " after win98SE, it happens when i hit return sometimes...

I just read my message and now it's not therethe [8;1H . i jguess i only see it before i save.. HMMMMM..??
    DeathRidder

---
    þ Synchronet þ Down By The River BBS - telnet://dbtr.dyndns.org (1:229/418)
  • From Willowolf@VERT/WOLFGROT to Amcleod on Fri Aug 3 22:53:00 2001
    BY: Amcleod to Willowolf on Fri Aug 03 2001 09:14 pm

Sneekee trick I use under KDE: I move to the insertion point, highlight everything on that line to the RIGHT of the insertion point, press Ctrl-Y to delete to end-of-line, type my extra word, and then Ctrl-Insert to paste bac It's cheating, since I'm not technically inserting at all, but I like to leverage the power of the KDE console cut-n-paste feature.

That's a nice one... Sometimes I think I don't have the brains for this stuff... :) Why didn't I think of that??? :)

CTRL-V... Got it!

\\/olf

---
  • From evilbob@VERT/SNBOOT to Willowolf on Fri Aug 3 22:08:00 2001
    BY: Willowolf to evilbob on Fri Aug 03 2001 11:30 am

Have you figured out how to insert characters within a line of text

hmm, I always assumed that the inability to use the cursor keys was because
    I'm using hyperterminal. My thoughts are typically simple so I rarely get too fancy when posting.

---
    þ Synchronet þ SNB
  • From Amcleod@VERT to evilbob on Sat Aug 4 06:37:26 2001
    BY: evilbob to Willowolf on Fri Aug 03 2001 10:08 pm

hmm, I always assumed that the inability to use the any p cursor k cursor keys was because I'm using hyperterminal. My r e thoughts are typically simple so I rarely get too e o e y fancy when posting. v b h s
    a l t ! Wotchoomean "inability to use the cursor keys"??? I Don't h e
    m with

---
  • From evilbob@VERT/SNBOOT to Amcleod on Sat Aug 4 22:51:00 2001
    BY: Amcleod to evilbob on Sat Aug 04 2001 06:37 am

hmm, I always assumed that the inability to use the any p cursor k cursor keys was because I'm using hyperterminal. My r e thoughts are typically simple so I rarely get too e o e y fancy when posting. v b h s
    m with

I'd be like..."ya, I'll reply to the message and have my words go all over the place" then something shiney would catch my eye and and all previous thoughts would melt awayyyyyyyyyyy.

---
    þ Synchronet þ SNB
  • From Prime@VERT/IQLAND to Amcleod on Sat Aug 4 08:51:00 2001
    BY: Amcleod to evilbob on Sat Aug 04 2001 06:37:00

BY: evilbob to Willowolf on Fri Aug 03 2001 10:08 pm

Show off... :-P

---
    þ Synchronet þ IQ Land - Temporarily (Hopefully) Offline...