• Re: 3.18 webv4 configuration help

From Mortifis@VERT/ALLEYCAT to JohnBWilloughby on Thu Apr 1 16:49:10 2021
    Re: Re: 3.18 webv4 configuration help
    By: JohnBWilloughby to Mortifis on Wed Mar 31 2021 08:56 am

Well that might be an issue, if someone on the web has a webpage open to my site, and I need to recycle the web service to make a change, then I am theoretically on hold until all pages are closed, or I force the Control Pan to close.(which I would rather not do), And if that were the case, and need really really make that change, then I would force the connection to disconnect.

Another thing to consider, in this day-and-age of bots and web crawlers, as long as connections are being made to your webserver it will not recycle until all of the connections settle down. Changes made to web pages (edited; added; deleted, etc) or a change to any webctrl.ini will not require the web server to recycle. If you are changing modopts.ini; services.ini; sbbs.ini, etc, that requires a recyle, those services will recycle and update and if those changes do not affect the webserver then techically there is no harm, the changed services will update and when webserver is freed up it will recycle also.

---
    þ Synchronet þ AlleyCat! BBS Lake Echo, NS Canada alleycatbbs.com
  • From JohnBWilloughby@VERT to Mortifis on Fri Apr 2 15:33:12 2021
    Another thing to consider, in this day-and-age of bots and web crawlers, as long as connections are being made to your webserver it will not recycle until all of the connections settle down. Changes made to web pages (edited; added; deleted, etc) or a change to any webctrl.ini will not require the web server to recycle.

That is good to know. every time I made a change, i was recycling the web services to make sure I could see the changes.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From JohnBWilloughby@VERT to echicken on Fri Apr 2 15:42:33 2021
    I see that you've solved your problem. Thanks for reporting it. It's kind of a bug, but not really, but I'll fix it in the near future.

Thank you, I did solve it, Now that I switched the server from upgrade/development to production, the Files menu is not working again. I just get the Header at the top, and the sidebar on the right side. While this is not a game changer to keep on the new platform, if I cant get it to work, I will just remove the Files Option, no like I have a ton of files to offer.

Does the Files Menu index get built each time someone click on the File Menu ?

Is there any kind of debugging logging from the webv4 that can be turned on to see what is happening when a user clicks on the Files Menu ?

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to JohnBWilloughby on Sat Apr 3 00:03:59 2021
    Re: 3.18 webv4 configuration help
    By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Fri Apr 02 2021 08:42:33

upgrade/development to production, the Files menu is not working again. I just get the Header at the top, and the sidebar on the right side. While

Sounds like the Files page script itself is probably exiting abnormally. Either that or perhaps you're logged in as guest or as a user who can't see any file libraries/directories.

Is there any kind of debugging logging from the webv4 that can be turned on to see what is happening when a user clicks on the Files Menu ?

Nothing particular to the Files page, although your web server log might show you an error message when you load the page, which might reveal the problem.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From JohnBWilloughby@VERT to echicken on Sun Apr 4 18:36:44 2021
    Sounds like the Files page script itself is probably exiting abnormally. Either that or perhaps you're logged in as guest or as a user who can't see any file libraries/directories.

I am going tot the page, not logging in as a user.

This is the webctrl.ini that is in the Pages folder. :

AccessRequirements = level 90
    Authorization = Digest
    [*games.xjs]
    AccessRequirements = LEVEL 50 AND REST NOT G

its only restricing the access to games to anyone at least level 50 and not guest right ? so Files page should be available. ?

Nothing particular to the Files page, although your web server log might show you an error message when you load the page, which might reveal the problem.

---
    I set the logging to debug: and see this :
    a request GET page=002-files.xjs and sends a file that is 0 bytes, with a connections aborted by peer on send ?

4/4 02:07:33p 1716 HTTP connection accepted from: 127.0.0.1 port 62166
    4/4 02:07:34p 1716 Request: GET /?page=002-files.xjs HTTP/1.1
    4/4 02:07:34p 2396 Sending file: C:\sbbs\temp\SBBS_SSJS.10064.2396.html (0 bytes)
    4/4 02:07:34p 2396 Connection aborted by peer on send
    4/4 02:07:34p 4204 HTTP connection accepted from: 127.0.0.1 port 62167
    4/4 02:07:34p 1716 Sending file: C:\sbbs\temp\SBBS_SSJS.10064.1716.html (0 bytes)
    4/4 02:07:34p 4204 Request: GET /api/events.ssjs?subscribe=nodelist HTTP/1.1
    4/4 02:07:35p 2396 Session thread terminated (2 clients, 7 threads remain, 220 served)
    4/4 02:08:15p 1716 Request: GET /?page=000-home.xjs HTTP/1.1
    4/4 02:08:15p 1716 HTTP Logoff (user #75) from line 1899
    4/4 02:08:15p 4204 JavaScript: Done executing script: C:\sbbs\webv4\root\api\events.ssjs (41.09 seconds)
    4/4 02:08:15p 4204 Sending file: C:\sbbs\temp\SBBS_SSJS.10064.4204.html (0 bytes)
    4/4 02:08:15p 4204 Request resolved to: C:\sbbs\temp\SBBS_SSJS.10064.4204.html

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to JohnBWilloughby on Mon Apr 5 22:17:23 2021
    Re: 3.18 webv4 configuration help
    By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Sun Apr 04 2021 11:36:44

This is the webctrl.ini that is in the Pages folder. :

AccessRequirements = level 90
    Authorization = Digest
    [*games.xjs]
    AccessRequirements = LEVEL 50 AND REST NOT G

I'll have to take a closer look at webv4's webctrl.ini support, because I know that this is the default for that file but it doesn't look correct to me.

In any event, if this was the cause of the problem, guests probably wouldn't be able to view any of your pages, not just Files, so I doubt if that's related.

its only restricing the access to games to anyone at least level 50 and not guest right ? so Files page should be available. ?

I'm not concerned about webctrl.ini so much as the access requirements that you may have set up in scfg for your file libraries and file directories. webv4 will not show the user any file libraries or dirs that it does not have permission to view; this is separate from whether it shows the page or not.

a request GET page=002-files.xjs and sends a file that is 0 bytes, with a connections aborted by peer on send ?

Something's going wrong but I'm not sure what or where. Not enough detail to go on, I'm afraid.

The Files page will get a big overhaul soon though. Perhaps this will be fixed then.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com