• Message voting

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Tue Jan 11 09:49:14 2022
    Re: Re: Versions
    By: echicken to Sys64738 on Tue Jan 11 2022 05:02 pm

If the voting feature was more widely-used, then we could use votes for sorting, showing, hiding messages, but there just isn't enough uptake to make that worthwhile at the moment.

I'd hope messages wouldn't be auto-sorted or auto-hidden based on their votes. I'd still like to read the messages in the same order they were written regardless of their votes.

I've also seen some online forum sites (such as Reddit) that will hide messages if they have too many downvotes, but sometimes I'm curious what was said that made so many people downvote it.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Nightfox on Tue Jan 11 19:50:55 2022
    Re: Message voting
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Tue Jan 11 2022 09:49:14

I'd hope messages wouldn't be auto-sorted or auto-hidden based on their votes. I'd still like to read the messages in the same order they were written regardless of their votes.

Ideally it'd be opt-in and user-configurable. I wouldn't want to hide content by default, and I don't think I'd use the feature myself. It's all hypothetical since we don't and won't have the necessary volume of votes to work with. Lots of potential problems, too (eg. that time when The Millionaire received tens of thousands of downvotes).

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nightfox on Tue Jan 11 12:55:47 2022
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Tue Jan 11 2022 09:49 am

Re: Re: Versions
    By: echicken to Sys64738 on Tue Jan 11 2022 05:02 pm

If the voting feature was more widely-used, then we could use votes for sorting, showing, hiding messages, but there just isn't enough uptake to make that worthwhile at the moment.

The internal message reader in Synchronet has this option:
    List Messages
    H Highest ranked msgs

Which takes into account replies and votes.

I've also seen some online forum sites (such as Reddit) that will hide messages if they have too many downvotes, but sometimes I'm curious what was said that made so many people downvote it.

<downvotes this message> :-)
    --
    digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #3:
    Karl (re: killing Doyle): That second one just plum near cut his head in two. Norco, CA WX: 73.6øF, 15.0% humidity, 4 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Digital Man on Tue Jan 11 21:27:04 2022
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Tue Jan 11 2022 12:55:47

The internal message reader in Synchronet has this option:
    List Messages
    H Highest ranked msgs

Which takes into account replies and votes.

Didn't know about that one. 'Replies' is a pretty good metric for at least showing the 'popularity' of a message (maybe not so much whether people liked it or disliked it).

Don't get me wrong, I like the voting feature. It's fun to work with and think about, and has its uses. I just doubt if votes alone will ever become useful for ranking/filtering messages here.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Wed Jan 12 16:11:00 2022
    I'd hope messages wouldn't be auto-sorted or auto-hidden based on their votes. >'d still like to read the messages in the same order they were written regardle
    s of their votes.

I would assume it would be a setting that you the reader would have control over on a BBS. So, if you don't want the downvoted messages sorted
    different, or hidden, your experience would not include that.

* SLMR 2.1a * Her voice rings in his ears like the music of the spheres

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP