• MQTT

From apam@VERT/HAPPYLND to All on Tue Apr 9 21:15:52 2024
    Hello

I'm kind of a little bit excited about the MQTT support in synchronet 3.20.

When I was working on Magicka, I added MQTT support to the BBS and wrote a QT application to monitor the nodes on my desktop (another computer from the bbs).

I was thinking about making a similar program for synchronet, but am wondering if anyone else is working on this sort of thing, or if something similar already exists?

I know the MQTT stuff in synchronet is a lot more detailed than what I did in magicka, but to start with I was thinking of just having a list of nodes with the status in them, and going from there.

Andrew

---
    þ Synchronet þ HappyLand - happylnd.synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to apam on Tue Apr 9 11:03:47 2024
    Re: MQTT
    By: apam to All on Tue Apr 09 2024 09:15 pm

Hello

I am too! Glad to hear some others appreciate the potential. :-)

When I was working on Magicka, I added MQTT support to the BBS and wrote a QT application to monitor the nodes on my desktop (another computer from the bbs).

I was thinking about making a similar program for synchronet, but am wondering if anyone else is working on this sort of thing, or if something similar already exists?

Ree wrote up a web-based sysop "control panel" that uses MQTT: https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/tree/master/webv4/components/webmonitor

I tried setting up up but didn't have much success, so I'm not sure how far along it is. But I seem to recall at least one other sysop successfully using it.

I know the MQTT stuff in synchronet is a lot more detailed than what I did in magicka, but to start with I was thinking of just having a list of nodes with the status in them, and going from there.

Yeah, that'd be cool.

I was thinking QT myself for a future cross-platform replacement for the Synchronet control panel (sbbsctrl) for Windows. But when attempting (in QT) to recreate the same 4-main panel docksite interface we have to today in sbbsctrl, I wasn't successful. I do plan to take another stab at that in the future. Also considering using wxWidgets.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #24:
    Karl: Kaiser blade. I hit my mother upside the head with it. Mmm... Killed her. Norco, CA WX: 72.9øF, 17.0% humidity, 4 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Tue Apr 9 11:35:43 2024
    By: Digital Man to apam on Tue Apr 09 2024 11:03 am

Synchronet control panel (sbbsctrl) for Windows. But when attempting (in QT) to recreate the same 4-main panel docksite interface we have to today in sbbsctrl, I wasn't successful. I do plan to take another stab at that in the future. Also considering using wxWidgets.

I've used wxWidgets in the past (it has been a while). I've heard a lot of people say they like Qt though (although I haven't used Qt myself). I thought wxWidgets was pretty good. I had used CodeBlocks at one point to help put together a UI, but that was around 2004-2005, and there may be better tools these days.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From fusion@VERT/CFBBS to Digital Man on Tue Apr 9 18:29:00 2024
    On 09 Apr 2024, Digital Man said the following...

at that in the future. Also considering using wxWidgets.

worth knowing wxWidgets doesn't come with Slackware (obv popular with bbs users) and the slackbuild takes FOREVER to compile on an older machine..

even for my 5700x:

./wxWidgets.SlackBuild 446.85s user 36.76s system 99% cpu 8:05.17 total

though i didn't add something like -j10 to makeflags or anything..

filezilla uses it and on my old i7 3520 laptop i used to start the upgrade and watch a tv show while i waited :)

future wiki page could point here:

http://slackware.uk/people/alien/slackbuilds/wxGTK3/

for a prebuilt package tho.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi
  • From paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 to apam on Tue Apr 9 18:42:00 2024
    HelloI'm kind of a little bit excited about the MQTT support in
    synchronet 3.20.When I was working on Magicka, I added MQTT support to
    the BBS and wrote a QT application to monitor the nodes on my desktop (another computer from the bbs).I was thinking about making a similar program for synchronet, but am wondering if anyone else is working on
    this sort of thing, or if something similar already exists?I know the
    MQTT stuff in synchronet is a lot more detailed than what I did in magicka, but to start with I was thinking of just having a list of nodes with the status in them, and going from there.Andrew

Interesting - I've been playing with Mosquitto broker and MQTT this past week. (esp8266 remote control project) It works really nicely and is reliable... so you're using it to notify you or update some page for what nodes are active???

Just wondering what uses MQTT on a BBS might be.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From Apam@VERT to paulie420 on Tue Apr 9 20:23:25 2024
    Re: Re: MQTT
    By: paulie420 to apam on Tue Apr 09 2024 06:42 pm

week. (esp8266 remote control project) It works really nicely and is reliable... so you're using it to notify you or update some page for what nodes are active???

Sort of, I'm using it to show me what nodes are active in a gui application, but you could easily do it on a web page too. (Essentially what the gui application that comes with does, except this one doesn't have to run on the same machine)

Just wondering what uses MQTT on a BBS might be.

Well you could get an arduino and hook up an lcd and have a little monitor or something :)

Synchronet doesn't just publish messages though it recevives them too, so you can potentially remote control your SBBS via MQTT messages.

There is a web page with all the features so far..

http://wiki.synchro.net/ref:mqtt

You can even nodespy with it.. it's really cool.

Andrew

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From apam@VERT/HAPPYLND to Nightfox on Wed Apr 10 08:57:46 2024
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Tue Apr 09 2024 11:35 am

I've used wxWidgets in the past (it has been a while). I've heard a lot of people say they like Qt though (although I haven't used Qt myself). I thought wxWidgets was pretty good. I had used CodeBlocks at one point to help put together a UI, but that was around 2004-2005, and there may be better tools these days.

When I used wxWidgets, I didn't realize there was any gui builder lol.

I really like QT, qtcreator (their IDE) is really nice. QT has everything you might need (even an Mqtt module)

The only thing with QT is that the license is GPL3 unless you buy a license - and I believe buying a license is very expensive. I think WxWidgets is LGPL. Still, it doesn't matter too much if you're working on OpenSource stuff anyway.

Andrew

---
  • From apam@VERT/HAPPYLND to Digital Man on Wed Apr 10 09:05:33 2024
    By: Digital Man to apam on Tue Apr 09 2024 11:03 am

I was thinking QT myself for a future cross-platform replacement for the Synchronet control panel (sbbsctrl) for Windows. But when attempting (in QT) to recreate the same 4-main panel docksite interface we have to today in sbbsctrl, I wasn't successful. I do plan to take another stab at that in the future. Also considering using wxWidgets.

I like QT, althought the UI building is probably my least favourite part. I'm not too familiar with the sbbsctrl program (I've seen it a couple of times but don't really remember it) but it might be you have to make a widget if none of the ones that come with do it right.

WxWidgets is also good. I used it for a gopher client I wrote back a while ago, I wasn't aware there was a GUI builder, but apparently there is.

WxWidgets might be a little easer with license requirements, as with qt only the currently supported releases are available as opensource, KDE kept a fork of qt5 to apply patches as they only just have upgraded to qt6, but that doesn't help much on windows. Though I imagine a synchronet control panel would be much easier to keep up with QT, than an entire desktop environment :P

Andrew

---
  • From Ragnarok@VERT/DOCKSUD to apam on Wed Apr 10 22:20:25 2024
    El 9/4/24 a las 08:15, apam escribi¢:
    Hello

Andrew

---
    ¨ Synchronet ¨ HappyLand - happylnd.synchro.net

I like QT, but I think I prefer it to be a web app, because it can be
    hosted directly on the sbbs webserver and the build and deploy is simpler.
    The panel that they started to make with mqtt, although it is not yet
    fully functional, seems like a good idea to me. Maybe you should choose
    a good framework to make it easy to put together the screen dashboards.
    But I agree that MQTT in sbbs (or Magicka) is a very good idea
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Dock Sud BBS TLD 24 HS - bbs.docksud.com.ar
  • From paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 to Apam on Wed Apr 10 19:16:00 2024
    Sort of, I'm using it to show me what nodes are active in a gui application, but you could easily do it on a web page too. (Essentially what the gui application that comes with does, except this one doesn't have to run on the same machine)

Right - cause I use Home Assistant and could prolly easily import Sync data. Very cool; synchronet is always developed wonderfully and is prolly the most feature-packed BBS software available.

I personally like the 'feel' of Telegard/Renegade/Mystic boards - but with enough work, Sync can literally DO THAT.

Thx for the response.

Synchronet doesn't just publish messages though it recevives them too,
    so you can potentially remote control your SBBS via MQTT messages.

You can even nodespy with it.. it's really cool.

Nodespy even? I gotta go read how that one works... I found the gitlab, too;

http://wiki.synchro.net/ref:mqtt

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o