• irc.js

From Bill Mcgarrity@VERT/TEQUILAM to Duece on Fri Apr 19 08:15:32 2013
    Hiya Duece...

I've been reviewing your irc.js and was wondering if it would be possible to work out some code that will allow users to enter their own nick rather than waiting till they get on the server and use the nick command. (I'm not up on javascript coding or I'd try it myself). I noticed the default is the first 7 characters of the board's name.... but if you add a blank entry box, say for a maximum of 32 characters (I run UnrealIRCD with extended nicks) the users can type in whatever. If there's no entry then it can default back to the way you have it now.

Thanks in advance....

Bill

Telnet: bbs.tequilamockingbirdonline.net
    IRC: irc.tequilamockingbirdonline.net Ports: 6661-6670 SSL: 6697 Radio: radio.tequilamockingbirdonline.net:8010/live

... Look TWICE.... Save a life.... Motorcycles are EVERYWHERE!!

---
    þ Synchronet þ TequilaMockingbird Online - TELNET: tequilamockingbirdonline.net
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Bill Mcgarrity on Fri Apr 19 17:41:36 2013
    Re: irc.js
    By: Bill Mcgarrity to Duece on Fri Apr 19 2013 01:15:32

to work out some code that will allow users to enter their own nick rather than waiting till they get on the server and use the nick command. (I'm not up on javascript coding or I'd try it myself). I noticed the default is the first 7 characters of the board's name.... but if you add a blank entry box, say for a maximum of 32 characters (I run UnrealIRCD with extended nicks) the users can type in whatever. If there's no entry then it can default back to the way you have it now.

At a glance, it appears to set the nick to the user's chat handle (see line 30 of irc.js.) Is it possible that your BBS isn't prompting new users to set a chat handle? Maybe it defaults to the BBS name if the chat handle is empty.

A quick workaround for you might be copying irc.js to your mods directory, and editing the line that currently says:

var nick = user.handle;

To:

var nick = user.alias;

echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230

---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Bill Mcgarrity@VERT/TEQUILAM to echicken on Fri Apr 19 19:35:00 2013
    echicken wrote to Bill Mcgarrity <=-

to work out some code that will allow users to enter their own nick rather than waiting till they get on the server and use the nick command. (I'm not up on javascript coding or I'd try it myself). I noticed the default is the first 7 characters of the board's name.... but if you add a blank entry box, say for a maximum of 32 characters (I run UnrealIRCD with extended nicks) the users can type in whatever. If there's no entry then it can default back to the way you have it now.

At a glance, it appears to set the nick to the user's chat handle (see line 30 of irc.js.) Is it possible that your BBS isn't prompting new users to set a chat handle? Maybe it defaults to the BBS name if the
    chat handle is empty.

Right now the only options that get promped are the IRC server which defaults to mine (I changed that) and the Channel, which I've defaulted to one other than #Synchronet. No prompt for a nick.

A quick workaround for you might be copying irc.js to your mods
    directory, and editing the line that currently says:

var nick = user.handle;

To:

var nick = user.alias;

OK... I'll try that... thank you!!

Bill

IRC: irc.tequilamockingbirdonline.net Ports: 6661-6670 SSL: 6697
    Radio: radio.tequilamockingbirdonline.net:8010/live

... Look TWICE.... Save a life. Motorcycles are EVERYWHERE!!
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
  • From Bill McGarrity@VERT/TEQUILAM to echicken on Fri Apr 19 20:43:52 2013
    Re: irc.js
    By: echicken to Bill Mcgarrity on Fri Apr 19 2013 10:41:36

At a glance, it appears to set the nick to the user's chat handle (see line 30 of irc.js.) Is it possible that your BBS isn't prompting new users to set a chat handle? Maybe it defaults to the BBS name if the chat handle is empty.

OK... found the issue. I didn't have the "Chat Handle" toggled correctly. I changed it to "yes" so it should prompt for it when signing up. I went into UEDIT changed mine and it's working correctly now.

Thanks again.... I can always count on you guys...

Bill

IRC: irc.tequilamockingbirdonline.net Ports: 6661-6670 SSL: 6697 Radio: radio.tequilamockingbirdonline.net:8010/live

... Look TWICE.... Save a life.... Motorcycles are EVERYWHERE!!

---