• Getting started with JS addons to Sync

From Sam Alexander@VERT to All on Wed Jun 21 02:43:25 2017
    Hi all. I'd like to get more into coding with JS an Sync, but I have someq uestions. For starters I've been reading LOTS about node.js, so will this work with Sync? There are some great tutorials out there with node.js, so just
    curious. Can JS with sync interact with the services? I'd love to write some add-ins that consume API services from other sites, but i'm not sure what options are there. And what about OS operations like modifying files, usrs,
    processes, etc... this will be on Linux. And is there any MySQL support?

Sorry for so many questions. I've started reading through javascript in Sync to see how things work, but I've not seen much with the features i'd like to work into doors.

thanks for any feedback or suggestions on a starting point.

Sam

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Sam Alexander on Wed Jun 21 17:42:53 2017
    Re: Getting started with JS addons to Sync
    By: Sam Alexander to All on Tue Jun 20 2017 07:43 pm

Hi all. I'd like to get more into coding with JS an Sync, but I have someq uestions. For starters I've been reading LOTS about node.js, so will this work with Sync?

node.js is a completely different JS interpretter that runs in a different model (event/asynchronous while Synchronet's JS engine, the Mozilla JavaScript engine, runs code proceduraly).

That said, there's probably way to launch node.js via CGI or a native service, but you wouldn't get any of the Synchronet object model.

Can JS with sync interact with the services?

Which services are you referring to?

I'd love to write
    some add-ins that consume API services from other sites, but i'm not sure what options are there. And what about OS operations like modifying files, usrs,
    processes, etc... this will be on Linux.

Look here: http://synchro.net/docs/js.html

And is there any MySQL support?

No, but someone did integrate SQlite once.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #49:
    Synchronet program was named 'sbbs' instead of 'sync' to avoid conflict w/Unix. Norco, CA WX: 88.5øF, 45.0% humidity, 4 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Sam Alexander@VERT to Digital Man on Thu Jun 22 03:05:07 2017
    By: Digital Man to Sam Alexander on Wed Jun 21 2017 10:42 am

By: Sam Alexander to All on Tue Jun 20 2017 07:43 pm

Can JS with sync interact with the services?

Which services are you referring to?

I'd like to write some add-ins to check ham radio licenses, there's a site with an API that can be called with the callsign to return JSON I'd like to parse and return to the user. There's another one that returns APRS data also for ham radio. Also there are a few News sites that return news from multiple sourcews. Though about writing a news app people could use to subscribe to news from various sites. Just have a few ideas with stuff like this I'd like to try and wrap into sync as doors or something else.

The mozilla.org developer site does mention XMLHttpRequest which I believe handles this so hopefuly this is the right path? https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/XMLHttpRequest

Look here: http://synchro.net/docs/js.html

I have, it's a great site and resources! I'm just trying to get my toolbelt in order before starting to build stuff. I've been getting more into Javascript at work, so I really want to get into it here to.

Thanks again for your help.

---