• console.getkeys

From Mortifis@VERT/ALLEYCAT to All on Wed Jul 24 21:39:55 2019
    I have if(js.global.console) lookup = console.getkeys("HSOQ", lastuser);
    where lastuser=system.lastuser... if entering a number it throws a
    !Javascript TypeError:

What is the correct usage of console.getkeys? I inferred:

console methods
    getkeys:
    number console.getkeys(string keys [,maxnum]) 3.10 get one key from of a list of valid command keys, or a number between 1 and maxnum

My doctor said I have the body of a 25 year old ... and the mind of a 10 :-/

---
    þ Synchronet þ AlleyCat! BBS - http://alleycat.synchro.net:81
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Mortifis on Wed Jul 24 22:00:44 2019
    Re: console.getkeys
    By: Mortifis to All on Wed Jul 24 2019 16:39:55

I have if(js.global.console) lookup = console.getkeys("HSOQ", lastuser); where lastuser=system.lastuser... if entering a number it throws a !Javascript TypeError:

That looks like it should work. What's the full text of the error?

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Mortifis on Wed Jul 24 19:30:23 2019
    By: Mortifis to All on Wed Jul 24 2019 04:39 pm

I have if(js.global.console) lookup = console.getkeys("HSOQ", lastuser);
    where lastuser=system.lastuser... if entering a number it throws a !Javascript TypeError:

What is the correct usage of console.getkeys? I inferred:

console methods
    getkeys:
    number console.getkeys(string keys [,maxnum]) 3.10 get one key from m of
    a list of valid command keys, or a number between 1 and maxnum

It seems to work for me. Perhaps it's what you're *doing* with the lookup value. Are you getting a line number with the error? What line of JavaScript corresponds with that line number?

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #12:
    CBM = Commodore Business Machines
    Norco, CA WX: 98.3øF, 30.0% humidity, 13 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Mortifis@VERT/ALLEYCAT to echicken on Wed Jul 24 23:32:12 2019

I have if(js.global.console) lookup = console.getkeys("HSOQ", lastuser); where lastuser=system.lastuser... if entering a number it throws a !Javascript TypeError:

!JavaScript C:\sbbs\exec\dup_user_check.js line 277: TypeError: lookup.toUpperC
    ase is not a function

I suspect that the toUpperCase() is not be supported by the console.getkeys() function :-/

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Mortifis on Wed Jul 24 19:37:12 2019
    Re: Re: console.getkeys
    By: Mortifis to echicken on Wed Jul 24 2019 06:32 pm

!JavaScript C:\sbbs\exec\dup_user_check.js line 277: TypeError: lookup.toUpperC
    ase is not a function

I suspect that the toUpperCase() is not be supported by the console.getkeys() function :-/

toUpperCase() is not supported by JavaScript Numbers. console.getkeys() can return a number or a string, depending on the user input.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #56:
    Synchronet Terminal Server introduced SecureShell (SSH) support w/v3.14a (2006).
    Norco, CA WX: 98.3øF, 30.0% humidity, 13 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Mortifis@VERT/ALLEYCAT to echicken on Wed Jul 24 23:52:01 2019

perhaps I should run a condition check similar to if(lookup == [whatever || ... keys are in getkeys)) before I lookup.toUpperCase ... though before it was lookup = readln() and there was no error

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Mortifis on Wed Jul 24 20:36:02 2019
    By: Mortifis to echicken on Wed Jul 24 2019 06:52 pm

perhaps I should run a condition check similar to if(lookup == [whatever || ... keys are in getkeys)) before I lookup.toUpperCase ... though before it was lookup = readln() and there was no error

readln() returns either a string or undefined. undefined.toUpperCase() would also throw a JS exception.

You might want to use typeof in this case to be sure your variable is a string before you start treating it like a string.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #29:
    I find lost luggage. I locate mandolin strings in the middle of Austin!
    Norco, CA WX: 97.2øF, 29.0% humidity, 14 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Mortifis@VERT/ALLEYCAT to Digital Man on Thu Aug 8 14:43:38 2019
    By: Mortifis to echicken on Wed Jul 24 2019 06:52 pm

readln() returns either a string or undefined. undefined.toUpperCase() would also throw a JS exception.

You might want to use typeof in this case to be sure your variable is a string before you start treating it like a string.

digital man

Thank you, I am still learning JS/C :\ I ended up using if(isNaN(lookup)) { ... } block. I am sure typeof is more flexible :-)

---