• Queues vs. Sockets (battle resurrected)

From MCMLXXIX@VERT/MDJ to Deuce on Thu Oct 22 18:21:39 2009
    Ok. You're in a room with a computer, and you're tasked with writing internode (and eventually interbbs) comm for a chat room or game..

There are two large buttons in front of you.

1st button: Queue() objects
    2nd button: Socket() objects

which button would you push?

Granted I've already pushed a button... I'm just not sure if it was the right one. It's starting to make things very complicated.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The BRoKEN BuBBLE (MDJ.ATH.CX)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MCMLXXIX on Fri Oct 23 05:57:22 2009
    Re: Queues vs. Sockets (battle resurrected)
    By: MCMLXXIX to Deuce on Thu Oct 22 2009 11:21 am

Ok. You're in a room with a computer, and you're tasked with writing internode (and eventually interbbs) comm for a chat room or game..

Granted I've already pushed a button... I'm just not sure if it was the right one. It's starting to make things very complicated.

There's another button which is the File object.

Anyway, Queues can't be used to communicate between BBSes (you need sockets or files to do that), so if you want to do interbbs, it might make sense to just use sockets. If you don't ever want to do interbbs, or you don't mind using a different communication mechanism between different nodes of your own BBS and nodes of other BBSes, then you can use Queues to communicate between your nodes. Another downside of Queues is you can't communicate with nodes running on other computers (for the rare BBS, like Vertrauen, that has nodes split across multiple systems), so you'll need to use Socket or File I/O for that case.

So, if you want to support all use cases (inter and intra BBS, single and multi system BBSes) using a single mechanism, sockets are the way to go.

digital man

Snapple "Real Fact" #135:
    A single coffee tree produces only about a pound of coffee beans per year.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From MCMLXXIX@VERT/MDJ to Digital Man on Fri Oct 23 22:01:26 2009
    By: Digital Man to MCMLXXIX on Thu Oct 22 2009 22:57:22

Anyway, Queues can't be used to communicate between BBSes (you need sockets or files to do that), so if you want to do interbbs, it might make sense to just use sockets. If you don't ever want to do interbbs, or you don't mind using a different communication mechanism between different nodes of your own BBS and nodes of other BBSes, then you can use Queues to communicate between your nodes. Another downside of Queues is you can't communicate
    with nodes running on other computers (for the rare BBS, like Vertrauen, that has nodes split across multiple systems), so you'll need to use Socket or File I/O for that case.

So, if you want to support all use cases (inter and intra BBS, single and multi system BBSes) using a single mechanism, sockets are the way to go.

That is precisely the point of view I was looking for. Thank you.

Unfortunately that means I have to tear apart almost everything I've written so far, which is why I posed the question rather than make any assumptions. It's a shame to discard what I've written.

Queues are REALLY nice for internode (same system).. but that's never really been the ultimate goal for any of this stuff.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The BRoKEN BuBBLE (MDJ.ATH.CX)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MCMLXXIX on Fri Oct 23 22:00:29 2009
    By: MCMLXXIX to Digital Man on Fri Oct 23 2009 03:01 pm

By: Digital Man to MCMLXXIX on Thu Oct 22 2009 22:57:22

Anyway, Queues can't be used to communicate between BBSes (you need sockets or files to do that), so if you want to do interbbs, it might make sense to just use sockets. If you don't ever want to do interbbs,
    or you don't mind using a different communication mechanism between different nodes of your own BBS and nodes of other BBSes, then you can use Queues to communicate between your nodes. Another downside of Queues is you can't communicate with nodes running on other computers (for the rare BBS, like Vertrauen, that has nodes split across multiple systems), so you'll need to use Socket or File I/O for that case.

So, if you want to support all use cases (inter and intra BBS, single
    and multi system BBSes) using a single mechanism, sockets are the way to go.

That is precisely the point of view I was looking for. Thank you.

Unfortunately that means I have to tear apart almost everything I've
    written so far, which is why I posed the question rather than make any assumptions. It's a shame to discard what I've written.

Queues are REALLY nice for internode (same system).. but that's never
    really been the ultimate goal for any of this stuff.

And I just recently noticed (coincidentally) that the Queue class was not available for services! I've fixed that bug, but any service that relies on the Queue class would not work on older builds. :-(

digital man

Snapple "Real Fact" #141:
    The square dance is the official dance of the state of Washington.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to MCMLXXIX on Fri Oct 23 22:22:05 2009
    By: MCMLXXIX to Deuce on Thu Oct 22 2009 11:21 am

I push Socket() because I understand how they work.

---
    Synchronet - Jump on the Web 0.2 bandwagon!

---
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)