• ecwebv4 upgrade issue

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Thu Dec 19 11:56:06 2019
    Re: ecwebv4 upgrade issue
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Wed Nov 13 2019 11:41 am

!ERROR 2 opening D:\BBS\SBBS\webv4\root\undefinedmodal.xjs

It seems settings.web_components is undefined - which seems odd,
    because settings.web_components looks like it's being set in
    lib\init.js.

Ah, this reminds me of some annoying problems I had a while ago.
    I'll try to look into it soon.

Probably not worth starting from scratch, but if you want to back
    up and then try it, let me know if it helps. Can you confirm that
    you have the "components" directory in place already?

Yes, I have the "components" directory in sbbs\webv4.

I just ran the webv4-installer.js script again to make sure I had the latest updates, and I'm still getting this error. I'm not sure what might be wrong - Do you have any suggestions?

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Thu Dec 19 12:00:36 2019
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Wed Nov 13 2019 11:41 am

!ERROR 2 opening D:\BBS\SBBS\webv4\root\undefinedmodal.xjs

It seems settings.web_components is undefined - which seems odd,
    because settings.web_components looks like it's being set in
    lib\init.js.

Ah, this reminds me of some annoying problems I had a while ago.
    I'll try to look into it soon.

Probably not worth starting from scratch, but if you want to back
    up and then try it, let me know if it helps. Can you confirm that
    you have the "components" directory in place already?

Yes, I have the "components" directory in sbbs\webv4.

I tried removing (renaming) my webv4 directory and ran the webv4-installer.js script again, but I'm still getting this error.

Nightfox

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Nightfox on Thu Dec 19 16:04:54 2019
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Thu Dec 19 2019 11:56:06

I just ran the webv4-installer.js script again to make sure I had the latest updates,
    and I'm still getting this error. I'm not sure what might be wrong - Do you have any
    suggestions?

No, I haven't looked into this yet. I'll see if I can figure it out in the next couple of days.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Thu Dec 19 17:27:05 2019
    By: echicken to Nightfox on Thu Dec 19 2019 04:04 pm

I just ran the webv4-installer.js script again to make sure I had
    the latest updates, and I'm still getting this error. I'm not sure
    what might be wrong - Do you have any suggestions?

No, I haven't looked into this yet. I'll see if I can figure it out in the next couple of days.

I'm not in a hurry. I was just curious. In the meantime, I have a backup of my BBS that I think still has a working version of my ecwebv4 setup.

Nightfox

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Nightfox on Wed Jan 8 11:28:40 2020
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Thu Dec 19 2019 17:27:05

I'm not in a hurry. I was just curious. In the meantime, I have a backup of my BBS that
    I think still has a working version of my ecwebv4 setup.

Re: 'settings.web_components' being undefined in index.xjs, I took a quick peek today and
    can't see an obvious cause.

I also don't have this problem here and in theory I've got the same scripts as you, though probably a different build of sbbs.

You could check that [web] -> web_directory in modopts.ini points to the correct place. If an older version of webv4 is kicking around in another spot, the wrong version of web/lib/init.js may be in use. If that ends up being the problem, then it's something the install/update script should be adjusted to address.

This could also be related to how the webserver reuses JS contexts between requests, but I thought that problem had been dealt with. If that's the cause, the problem should resolve itself after a little while or following a webserver restart. Wrapping all of index.xjs in an IIFE would probably also "solve" the problem if that's the case, but I wouldn't call it a good/permanent fix:

<?xjs (function { ?>

// index.xjs contents here

<?xjs })(); ?>

---
    echicken
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Wed Jan 8 12:46:50 2020
    By: echicken to Nightfox on Wed Jan 08 2020 11:28 am

Re: 'settings.web_components' being undefined in index.xjs, I took a quick peek today and can't see an obvious cause.

I also don't have this problem here and in theory I've got the same scripts as you, though probably a different build of sbbs.

You could check that [web] -> web_directory in modopts.ini points to the correct place. If an older version of webv4 is kicking around in another spot, the wrong version of web/lib/init.js may be in use. If that ends up being the problem, then it's something the install/update script should be adjusted to address.

My web_directory is set to ../web . Also, my web_root is set to ../web/root . Recently I was restoring a backup of my web directory and checked the settings for the web server in the Synchronet GUI (using the gear icon in the Web Server tab - I use the Windows version of Synchronet), and I noticed the HTML root had been set to sbbs\webv4\root . In the past, my web root had always been sbbs\web\root - so something (the webv4 install/update script?) must have changed my HTML root to sbbs\webv4\root.

Nightfox

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Nightfox on Wed Jan 8 16:20:30 2020
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Wed Jan 08 2020 12:46:50

My web_directory is set to ../web . Also, my web_root is set to ../web/root . Recently

Windows version of Synchronet), and I noticed the HTML root had been set to
    sbbs\webv4\root . In the past, my web root had always been sbbs\web\root - so something
    (the webv4 install/update script?) must have changed my HTML root to sbbs\webv4\root.

That's right, but evidently the installer isn't updating web_directory if it already exists. I should fix that, but for now please change it so that it points to the webv4 directory.

---
    echicken
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Wed Jan 8 17:09:35 2020
    By: echicken to Nightfox on Wed Jan 08 2020 04:20 pm

My web_directory is set to ../web . Also, my web_root is set to
    ../web/root . Recently

Windows version of Synchronet), and I noticed the HTML root had been
    set to sbbs\webv4\root . In the past, my web root had always been
    sbbs\web\root - so something
    (the webv4 install/update script?) must have changed my HTML root to sbbs

That's right, but evidently the installer isn't updating web_directory if it already exists. I should fix that, but for now please change it so that it points to the webv4 directory.

Ah, I think I see now, perhaps the problem was my web_directory should have been ../web/webv4 and web_root should be ../web/webv4/root?

Nightfox

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Nightfox on Thu Jan 9 00:20:16 2020
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Wed Jan 08 2020 17:09:35

Ah, I think I see now, perhaps the problem was my web_directory should have been ../web/webv4
    and web_root should be ../web/webv4/root?

I think the installer puts stuff at ctrl/../webv4, so you should end up with:

../webv4/components
    ../webv4/lib
    ../webv4/pages
    ../webv4/root
    ../webv4/sidebar

modopts.ini -> [web] -> web_directory should then be ../webv4.

And in a typical install:

sbbs.ini -> [Web] -> RootDirectory should be ../webv4/root

You shouldn't really need web_root in modopts.ini, but if you do have it, it should point to ../webv4/root.

I need to tidy up some stuff surrounding web_root. IIRC the goal was to allow people to put it outside of the webv4 directory structure if necessary, if they wanted to serve webv4 from a subdirectory of their document root alongside the old web UI or whatever. Things are slightly broken in that regard right now but should be easy to fix. That's mostly a note to myself.

---
    echicken
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Wed Jan 8 23:37:50 2020
    By: echicken to Nightfox on Thu Jan 09 2020 12:20 am

You shouldn't really need web_root in modopts.ini, but if you do have it, it should point to ../webv4/root.

I need to tidy up some stuff surrounding web_root. IIRC the goal was to allow people to put it outside of the webv4 directory structure if necessary, if they wanted to serve webv4 from a subdirectory of their document root alongside the old web UI or whatever. Things are slightly broken in that regard right now but should be easy to fix. That's mostly a note to myself.

I used to have a directory structure like that. In the past, I had a custom 'index' file that I wrote, as I had the idea to eventually fully customize the web interface myself. So I had my own 'index' page, with a sidebar that had links to various things, including a link to the message interface (formerly the Runemaster interface, and then your webv4 interface). I seem to recall discussing something about that with you years ago, though I don't remember offhand what issue I was having. Recently I decided to scrap the web interface I was working on and just use your webv4 interface (I seem to have a mental block sometimes about wanting to work on front-end web stuff).

Nightfox

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Nightfox on Thu Jan 9 10:47:45 2020
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Wed Jan 08 2020 23:37:50

have a mental block sometimes about wanting to work on front-end web stuff).

I generally dislike working on front-end web stuff. I may eventually tackle learning a modern front-end framework and start a webv5 project, but I'll really have to be in the mood for it.

your webv4 interface). I seem to recall discussing something about that with you years
    ago, though I don't remember offhand what issue I was having. Recently I decided to

Paths were probably the issue. Older versions of my web UI just assumed they were sitting at the top of RootDirectory (per sbbs.ini) and that their libraries were at ../lib and so on. This isn't the case anymore, but there are a few things to be cleaned up yet.

---
    echicken
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Thu Jan 9 11:18:08 2020
    By: echicken to Nightfox on Thu Jan 09 2020 10:47 am

have a mental block sometimes about wanting to work on front-end web
    stuff).

I generally dislike working on front-end web stuff. I may eventually tackle learning a modern front-end framework and start a webv5 project, but I'll really have to be in the mood for it.

I think you've done a good job with ecweb. And you've done 4 versions of it too.. :)

Nightfox

---