• FTN networks and file echos

From nolageek@VERT/CAPSHRIL to All on Mon Dec 30 17:19:11 2019
    I've had some fido message areas setup for quite a while, but I'm starting to dip my toes into the file areas as well now. I use iRex as a mailer (mainly because I like having the GUI running) - I think I have tickit configured correctly, and I sent an email to filefix@network to subscribe to the areas. but I wasn't sure if I needed anything else. I saw in the tickit configuration that I should have the mailer create a tickit.new semafore so that tickit will run when a file comes in, but I don't see anything in the irex docs about this.. I'm starting to think iRex doesn't support this sort of functionality.

Should I just suck it up and switch to SBBS's binkit as well? How hard is it to transition?

|01-|03nolageek

---
    þ Synchronet þ Capitol Shrill BBS - Washington, DC - capitolshrill.com
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to nolageek on Mon Dec 30 20:32:43 2019
    nolageek wrote:
    I've had some fido message areas setup for quite a while, but I'm starting to dip my toes into the file areas as well now. I use iRex as a mailer (mainly because I like having the GUI running) - I think I have tickit configured correctly, and I sent an email to filefix@network to subscribe to the areas. but I wasn't sure if I needed anything else. I saw in the tickit configuration that I should have the mailer create a tickit.new semafore so that tickit will run when a file comes in, but I don't see anything in the irex docs about this.. I'm starting to think iRex doesn't support this sort of functionality.

Should I just suck it up and switch to SBBS's binkit as well? How hard is it to transition?

|01-|03nolageek

---
    þ Synchronet þ Capitol Shrill BBS - Washington, DC - capitolshrill.com

I'm not familair with iRex but if it lacks that ability you can always
    create a timed job to run jsexec tickit and you're done.

Creating the semaphore just tells sbbs to run the jsexec tickit process so
    it's like you're skipping a step, the only issue might be if a tic file is
    in the process of being read, doing it through irex or binkd or binkit,
    you're not likely to have that problem.

Taking 2 minutes to read an irex help doc, does this look familiar?

If you set Run BETWEEN.BAT/.CMD to "yes", and you run Rex so that it's
    fetching and queuing mail in one session, Rex will check the directory it
    was installed to for the existence of a BETWEEN.BAT batch file. If it you receive mail during the fetch run and the batch file is there, Rex will run
    the batch file before continuing to process your outbound mail. This lets
    you put any commands for mail tossing, processing TIC files or interBBS doorgame packets into the batch file, process the inbound mail and toss it
    out again without having to run Rex twice.

---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com