• Running DOS doors in Synchronet

From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to All on Wed Jan 8 20:44:08 2020
    I'm sorry, but I've read through these, and am now more confused. http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:dosemu
    http://www.icequake.net/bbs/syncmods/

When I setup SBBS, I could have swore I did USE_DOSEMU=1, but when I open a terminal in Linux, the drives do not correspond to the drives in these how-to's.
    C:/ Looks blank. Just a tmp, autoexec.bat and config.sys
    D:/ looks like either bin or usr
    E:/ Looks like root.

I'm supposed to goto E:/ and then goto D:/ for the dropfile, and I just seem to be missing something here.

I got the sunrise doors and would like to set them up, but just feel I am at a roadblock right now.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Dark Matter BBS <<>> darkmatt.synchro.net <<>> Howdy from Texas!
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Grease on Wed Jan 8 20:41:52 2020
    Re: Running DOS doors in Synchronet
    By: Grease to All on Wed Jan 08 2020 08:44 pm

I'm sorry, but I've read through these, and am now more confused. http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:dosemu

When I setup SBBS, I could have swore I did USE_DOSEMU=1, but when I open a terminal in Linux, the drives do not correspond to the drives in these how-to's.

I'm supposed to goto E:/ and then goto D:/ for the dropfile, and I just seem to be missing something here.

I got the sunrise doors and would like to set them up, but just feel I am at a roadblock right now.

Please explain exactly how you "open a terminal in Linux" and then see DOS drive mappings. That's not how those mappings work - they're only mapped when DOSEMU is being run and specifically, when run from sbbs (e.g. not from a shell prompt).

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #92:
    Digital Man's manifesto from '96: http://wiki.synchro.net/history:manifesto Norco, CA WX: 49.6øF, 89.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Digital Man on Thu Jan 9 09:54:02 2020
    By: Digital Man to Grease on Wed Jan 08 2020 08:41 pm

Please explain exactly how you "open a terminal in Linux" and then see DOS drive mappings. That's not how those mappings work - they're only mapped when DOSEMU is being run and specifically, when run from sbbs (e.g. not from a shell prompt).

I click on terminal icon, type in dosemu, and I get a new terminal window with DOS in it.

So, the remap is done through sbbs? OK. How would I be able to check? Or to be able to see if it is there?

I'm in the dark about running DOS in Linux and if something goes wrong, I have no clue what happened.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... It's important that I NOT know.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Grease on Thu Jan 9 10:04:01 2020
    By: Grease to Digital Man on Thu Jan 09 2020 09:54 am

By: Digital Man to Grease on Wed Jan 08 2020 08:41 pm

I click on terminal icon, type in dosemu, and I get a new terminal window with DOS in it.

Okay, in that process, the drive mappings would be different.

So, the remap is done through sbbs? OK. How would I be able to check? Or to be able to see if it is there?

You could setup a DOS door that just runs command.com maybe?

I'm in the dark about running DOS in Linux and if something goes wrong, I have no clue what happened.

I've never used/run DOSemu myself, so my ability to help debug any issues is limited.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #46:
    "Not an Exit" - we don't want an exit. Well that's true.
    Norco, CA WX: 52.3øF, 82.0% humidity, 3 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Grease on Thu Jan 9 13:55:56 2020
    By: Grease to All on Wed Jan 08 2020 20:44:08

yeah, you are... there's more than one dosemu setup at play here... a normal linux user gets their .dosemu directory in their home directory whereas from within sbbs, the .dosemu directory is placed in sbbs/ctrl and sbbs sets up its own environment for that one...

)\/(ark

---
    þ Synchronet þ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Will Milberger@VERT to Rampage on Thu Jan 9 17:33:11 2020
    By: Rampage to Grease on Thu Jan 09 2020 01:55 pm

whereas from within sbbs, the .dosemu directory is placed in sbbs/ctrl and sbbs sets up its own environment for that one...

Is there a way to see if it's there, or is it something that creates itself when you fire it up to run a door?

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... Don't kiss an elephant on the lips today.
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Dark Matter BBS <<>> darkmatt.synchro.net <<>> (1:106/101)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Will Milberger on Thu Jan 9 15:46:06 2020
    By: Will Milberger to Rampage on Thu Jan 09 2020 05:33 pm

By: Rampage to Grease on Thu Jan 09 2020 01:55 pm

whereas from within sbbs, the .dosemu directory is placed in sbbs/ctrl and sbbs sets up its own environment for that one...

Is there a way to see if it's there, or is it something that creates itself when you fire it up to run a door?

The dosemu.conf file is created by you, but the default is usually fine. The drive mappings (you were asking about) are setup by sbbs (xtrn.cpp) in an external.bat file created in the current sbbs node's directory (e.g. /sbbs/node1) at the time you run the DOS external from sbbs's terminal server. And that external.bat is in turn executed via dosemu.bin.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #42:
    What day the Lord created Spinal Tap and couldn't he have rested on that day? Norco, CA WX: 56.7øF, 63.0% humidity, 5 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Altere@VERT/ATHEL to Grease on Thu Jan 9 17:57:10 2020
    By: Grease to Digital Man on Thu Jan 09 2020 09:54 am

What's the output you're getting when trying to run the game trough the External programs menu in Synchronet?

Do you have emusetup.bat in your ctrl dir?

Did a external.bat file get created in your node directory when you ran the game?

If dosemu is trying to load the game, it will create a dosemu_boot.log in your node dir that should be able to point you to any problems.

Does the door work loading it manually through dosemu, for example, in LORD you can run LOCAL.BAT to load a local version without a drop file.

Note that running dosemu manually, your log file will be in your users home directory, ~/.dosemu/boot.log. Additionally, you can map your drives manually as well if you must: lredir E: linux\fs/sbbs/xtrn (use your path to xtrn).

-altere

---
    þ Synchronet þ Athelstan BBS þ athelstan.org þ telnet:23 | ssh:2222
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Digital Man on Thu Jan 9 15:45:00 2020
    By: Digital Man to Grease on Thu Jan 09 2020 10:04 am

I've never used/run DOSemu myself, so my ability to help debug any issues is limited.

Ok, looks like I'll just have to jump out there and see how it goes.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... Some things have got to be believed to be seen.

---
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Altere on Thu Jan 9 20:01:43 2020
    By: Altere to Grease on Thu Jan 09 2020 05:57 pm

What's the output you're getting when trying to run the game trough the External programs menu in Synchronet?

I have not ran a game yet. I am confused on how to set it up and if DOSEMU is actually set up in SBBS.

Yes. I have copied the one here: http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:dosemu and placed it in the ctrl directory.

Did a external.bat file get created in your node directory when you ran the game?

Have not ran a game. I am confused about the switching of lredir and how and where all the drives show up.
    I am going to try to set up a game now and see how it goes. I'm just going to copy what is on that wiki.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... A motor will rotate in the wrong direction.

---
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Grease on Fri Jan 10 05:17:30 2020
    Grease wrote:

What OS are you running? These instructions should work if you are running Ubuntu. I've never got dosemu to work on CentOS.

When you run a DOS door it'll create external.bat in your node directory.

At the bottom of the file is some command comment that you can use to run locally. Give this a try.

This should give you a C:> prompt

Run the following commends to setup your environment

set DSZLOG=D:\PROTOCOL.LOG
    set SBBSNODE=D:
    set SBBSNNUM=1
    set SBBSCTRL=F:
    set SBBSDATA=G:
    set SBBSEXEC=H:
    set PCBNODE=1
    lredir del E:
    lredir del F:
    lredir del G:
    lredir del H:
    lredir E: linux\fs\sbbs\xtrn
    lredir F: linux\fs\sbbs\ctrl
    lredir G: linux\fs\sbbs\data
    lredir H: linux\fs\sbbs\exec
    E:

Don't ask, it just works.

my next line is

call F:\emusetup.bat

I am putting my fossil driver in there (No idea if I need it, again, it just works)

so my /sbbs/ctrl/emusetup.bat contains:
    e:\dosutils\x00.exe eliminate

You'll need a copy of x00.exe and stick it in your /sbbs/xtrn/dosutils directory (create it if it doesn't exist).

At this point E: is pointing to your /sbbs/xtrn directory. If you've not already create dir for your game, and uncompress it. I recommend no more
    than 8 characters for a directory name. Once created you can CD in DOSEMU. There's usually some configurtion you need to do either there'll be a config file or sometimes a setup program that needs to be run under dos. This procedure can be used to do that. You'll need to configure the number of
    nodes, drop file, etc. All this should be on the synchro wiki. I believe there's a walkthrough on setting a game up.

Most games have an option to run locally, usually using /L or /LOCAL or something similar. Check the docs. Most files that are .DOC are actually
    text and not Word format :)

Good luck.

---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 06:45:30 2020
    By: Will Milberger to Rampage on Thu Jan 09 2020 17:33:11

whereas from within sbbs, the .dosemu directory is placed in
    sbbs/ctrl and sbbs sets up its own environment for that one...

if it doesn't already exist, it will be created the first time dosemu is used from within sbbs...

how can you tell if it is there? in bash, you can use one of these two oneliners on the command line...

[ -d "$SBBSCTRL/.dosemu" ] && echo "it exists!" || echo "sorry..."

test -d "$SBBSCTRL/.dosemu" && echo "it exists!" || echo "sorry..."

they are both the same... make sure your SBBSCTRL environment variable is set properly...

)\/(ark

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Altere on Fri Jan 10 06:59:35 2020
    By: Altere to Grease on Thu Jan 09 2020 17:57:10

FWIW: you do not need sbbs/ctrl/emusetup.bat if you set up your sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/autoexec.bat and config.sys manually... i do not use emusetup.bat at all...

i copied bnu.com and x00.exe into my sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c and modified my autoexec.bat to load one of them all the time... i also modified my config.sys to always load nansi.sys so ANSI is always interpreted... no emusetup.bat needed at all ;)

/sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/tmp/
    /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/temp/
    /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/autoexec.bat
    /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/autoexec.org /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/bnu.com/sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/config.org /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/config.sys/sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/x00.exe

----->8 snip 8<-----
    @echo off
    rem autoexec.bat for DOSEMU + FreeDOS
    path z:\bin;z:\gnu;z:\dosemu
    set HELPPATH=z:\help
    set TEMP=c:\tmp
    rem blaster
    rem *************************
    rem * load one of: *
    rem * dosemu's fossil.exe *
    rem * or bnu.com *
    rem * or x00.exe *
    rem *************************
    rem fossil
    bnu /P:1 /L:0=38400 /F+ /Z0 /M+ /T:4096 /R:4096
    rem x00 eliminate
    prompt $p $g
    unix -s DOSDRIVE_D
    if "%DOSDRIVE_D%" == "" goto nodrived
    lredir del d: > nul
    lredir d: linux\fs%DOSDRIVE_D%
    :nodrived
    rem uncomment to load another bitmap font
    rem loadhi display con=(vga,437,2)
    rem mode con codepage prepare=((850) z:\cpi\ega.cpx)
    rem mode con codepage select 850
    rem chcp 850
    lredir e: linux\fs/media/cdrom c
    unix -s DOSEMU_VERSION
    echo "Welcome to dosemu %DOSEMU_VERSION%!"
    unix -e
    ----->8 snip 8<-----

----->8 snip 8<-----
    rem config.sys for DOSEMU + FreeDOS
    rem note that the initial "D:" is set to "Z:" at the end
    SWITCHES=/F
    DOS=UMB,HIGH
    dosdata=umb
    lastdrive=Z
    files=40
    stacks=0
    buffers=10
    device=d:\dosemu\ems.sys
    devicehigh=d:\dosemu\cdrom.sys
    devicehigh=d:\bin\nansi.sys
    install=d:\dosemu\lredir.com z: linux\fs\${DOSEMU_LIB_DIR}/drive_z ro shellhigh=z:\command.com /e:1024 /p
    ----->8 snip 8<-----

)\/(ark

---
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Nelgin on Fri Jan 10 09:46:15 2020
    Re: Re: Running DOS doors in Synchronet
    By: Nelgin to Grease on Fri Jan 10 2020 05:17 am

What OS are you running? These instructions should work if you are running Ubuntu. I've never got dosemu to work on CentOS.

Ubuntu. DOSEMU works on its' own windowed terminal. Trying through SBBS. I'm going to go through what you have posted here. Last night, I tried what I could make of the wiki. I got door.sys in the directory and in the console log, I got a DOS not allowed error.

When you run a DOS door it'll create external.bat in your node directory.

I did not get this in the directory. Does it delete after it runs? I checked node.log and crash.log, no reference to running a door. I also checked in /sbbs/xtrn/3pair, and nothing there either.

Run the following commends to setup your environment
    set DSZLOG=D:\PROTOCOL.LOG
    set SBBSNODE=D:
    set SBBSNNUM=1
    set SBBSCTRL=F: (more)

Is this in the external.bat? I did not find one.
    I'll keep messing with it. Thank you for the help.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... In the long run, we are all dead.

---
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Rampage on Fri Jan 10 10:02:58 2020
    By: Rampage to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 2020 06:45 am

I did this one:

I got:

"sorry..."

Now what do I do? I could have sworn I did DOSEMU=1 when I setup SBBS.
    Could Ubuntu's DOSEMU blow out the SBBS one?
    Is there a way to put it in through CVS or something?

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths a statistic.

---
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Rampage on Fri Jan 10 10:50:35 2020
    By: Rampage to Altere on Fri Jan 10 2020 06:59 am

i copied bnu.com and x00.exe into my sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c and modified my autoexec.bat to load one of them all the time... i also modified my config.sys to always load nansi.sys so ANSI is always interpreted... no emusetup.bat needed at all ;)

I don't have this directory. I have it in my home directory and dosemu in in my bin directory. Can I move it to sbbs/ctrl? Or can I use it from there?

/sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/tmp/
    /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/temp/
    /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/autoexec.bat /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/autoexec.org /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/bnu.com/sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/config.org /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/config.sys/sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/drive_c/x00.exe

Doesn't exist. Can I make them?
    Sorry to be trouble. Thank you for the help.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

---
  • From Altere@VERT/ATHEL to Grease on Fri Jan 10 13:40:33 2020
    By: Grease to Altere on Thu Jan 09 2020 08:01 pm

Have not ran a game. I am confused about the switching of lredir and how and where all the drives show up.
    I am going to try to set up a game now and see how it goes. I'm just going to copy what is on that wiki.

If you don't need to run any configuration utilities to configure the game before running it you don't need to run dosemu manually and setup the environment. Just add in scfg, recycle nodes, login and run the door. Synchronet handles the rest.

Note: I read ahead on another response of yours about DOS not allowed? If you're getting this through Synchronet it would make me think you did not compile it with USE_DOSEMU=1. This is why I asked what the output or errors were when trying to run the door from within Synchronet were.

-altere

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Grease on Fri Jan 10 12:08:58 2020
    By: Grease to Nelgin on Fri Jan 10 2020 09:46 am

By: Nelgin to Grease on Fri Jan 10 2020 05:17 am

Ubuntu. DOSEMU works on its' own windowed terminal. Trying through SBBS. I'm going to go through what you have posted here. Last night, I tried what I could make of the wiki. I got door.sys in the directory and in the console log, I got a DOS not allowed error.

You definitely need to resolve that "DOS not allowed error" first thing.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #30:
    The COM I/O routines for Synchronet for DOS were written in ASM by Steve Deppe. Norco, CA WX: 62.7øF, 38.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Will Milberger@VERT to Altere on Fri Jan 10 15:10:38 2020
    By: Altere to Grease on Fri Jan 10 2020 01:40 pm

Note: I read ahead on another response of yours about DOS not allowed? If you're getting this through Synchronet it would make me think you did not compile it with USE_DOSEMU=1. This is why I asked what the output or errors were when trying to run the door from within Synchronet were.

I could have sworn, I did. Mainly because I copied and pasted when I set up sbbs. But I did a test, and it is not there. I do have DOSEMU in Ubuntu. Is there a way to add DOSEMU after the fact? Try and reload it?

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... Some people confuse boredom with security.
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Will Milberger@VERT to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 15:15:09 2020
    By: Digital Man to Grease on Fri Jan 10 2020 12:08 pm

Really? <wet fart noise> :(

I could have sworn I did the 'ol DOSEMU=1 thing as I cut and pasted when I setup sbbs. Is there a way to do it after the fact?
    Or is it a backup and redo? (please don't tell me that)
    I have DOSEMU in Ubuntu.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers.
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 13:29:38 2020
    By: Will Milberger to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 2020 03:15 pm

I could have sworn I did the 'ol DOSEMU=1 thing as I cut and pasted when I setup sbbs.

It's USE_DOSEMU=1

Is there a way to do it after the fact?

You need to rebuild sbbs.

You need to perform a clean rebuild of sbbs and add the USE_DOSEMU=1 option.

I have DOSEMU in Ubuntu.

Good, that's required as wel.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #15:
    SBBSecho was introduced (replacing SBBSFIDO) for Synchronet v2 in 1994.
    Norco, CA WX: 64.4øF, 35.0% humidity, 1 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Will Milberger@VERT to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 15:43:06 2020
    By: Digital Man to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 2020 01:29 pm

It's USE_DOSEMU=1

I was just typing less.

That is not what I needed to hear. Drat.
    I guess I'll back up text and configuration files.
    Thanks for help.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... This tagline is SHAREWARE! To register, send me $10
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 15:54:49 2020
    Digital wrote:

You definitely need to resolve that "DOS not allowed error" first
    thing.

I could have sworn I did the 'ol DOSEMU=1 thing as I cut and pasted when I
    setup sbbs.

It's USE_DOSEMU=1

I have DOSEMU in Ubuntu.

Put USE_DOSEMU=1 in /sbbs/src/sbbs3/localdefs.mk and you'll never have to
    worry about adding it to the command line. The compiler will pick up the setting automatically.

bbs@bbs:~$ cat /sbbs/src/sbbs3/localdefs.mk
    USE_DOSEMU=1

---
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 16:02:33 2020
    Digital wrote:

You definitely need to resolve that "DOS not allowed error" first
    thing.

I could have sworn I did the 'ol DOSEMU=1 thing as I cut and pasted when I
    setup sbbs.

It's USE_DOSEMU=1

I have DOSEMU in Ubuntu.

Another thing that springs to mind is that with DOSEMU opening in a window, that means your DISPLAY variable is probably say.

Run a shell by using ;SHELL from your main menu when logged in as sysop.

echo $DISPLAY

if DISPLAY is set then that's your problem. I had this initially and I can't remember for the life of me how I resolved it. I obviously unset DISPLAY
    before sbbs runs.

---
  • From Altere@VERT/ATHEL to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 16:48:43 2020
    By: Will Milberger to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 2020 03:43 pm

Thanks for help.

I won't discourage you from doing a backup but rebuilding the source doesn't replace any of your text or configuration files, just your executables.

http://wiki.synchro.net/install:nix

Look near the bottom on Clean Rebuild.

-altere

---
  • From Will Milberger@VERT to Nelgin on Fri Jan 10 17:50:05 2020
    By: Nelgin to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 2020 03:54 pm

Put USE_DOSEMU=1 in /sbbs/src/sbbs3/localdefs.mk and you'll never have to worry about adding it to the command line. The compiler will pick up the setting automatically.

It was already in there.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... Gravity doesn`t exist: the earth sucks.
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Grease on Fri Jan 10 19:37:10 2020
    By: Grease to Rampage on Fri Jan 10 2020 10:02:58

I got:

"sorry..."

Now what do I do? I could have sworn I did DOSEMU=1 when I setup SBBS.

you might have but you have not run dosemu VIA sbbs...

Could Ubuntu's DOSEMU blow out the SBBS one?

no

Is there a way to put it in through CVS or something?

no

create yourself a sysop only xtrn command to run dosemu... then it'll configure everything as needed and you can edit it if desired like i pointed out in another of my messages...

DOSEmu command.com

Name DOSEmu command.com
    Internal Code DOSEMUCO
    Start-up Directory ../xtrn
    Command Line command.com
    Clean-up Command Line
    Execution Cost None
    Access Requirements SYSOP
    Execution Requirements
    Multiple Concurrent Users Yes
    Intercept I/O Standard
    Native Executable No
    Use Shell to Execute No
    Modify User Data No
    Execute on Event No
    Pause After Execution No
    BBS Drop File Type None
    Place Drop File In Node Directory
    Time Options...

run this one time and it'll create the sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu directory... then you can edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys as i showed in my other message... use exitemu to leave dosemu...

then you should be able to set up your DOS doors... you can then also use this as your DOS so you can run your doors' setup programs and similar...

)\/(ark

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 19:39:52 2020
    By: Will Milberger to Altere on Fri Jan 10 2020 15:10:38

I could have sworn, I did. Mainly because I copied and pasted
    when I set up sbbs. But I did a test, and it is not there. I
    do have DOSEMU in Ubuntu. Is there a way to add DOSEMU after
    the fact? Try and reload it?

simple recompile with the same options you used the first time and add the DOSEMU one so it will compile with that added in...

)\/(ark

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 19:42:32 2020
    By: Will Milberger to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 2020 15:43:06

no need for that... they're not touched when you build the sources... they're only touched when you first install so you have something to start with... i've built mine several times in a day with no ill effects... i have scripts to do all the grunt work, though... i can try to find links to them if you are interested...

)\/(ark

---
  • From Will Milberger@VERT to Nelgin on Fri Jan 10 18:53:45 2020
    By: Nelgin to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 2020 04:02 pm

echo $DISPLAY
    if DISPLAY is set then that's your problem. I had this initially and I can't remember for the life of me how I resolved it. I obviously unset DISPLAY before sbbs runs.

I get :
    :0

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 17:04:48 2020
    By: Will Milberger to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 2020 03:43 pm

By: Digital Man to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 2020 01:29 pm

It's USE_DOSEMU=1

I was just typing less.

I didn't say you needed to re-download or overwrite any files (e.g. in /sbbs). Just follow the steps here:
    http://wiki.synchro.net/install:nix#clean_rebuild

But obviously a backup is never a bad idea.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #51:
    NUP = New User Password
    Norco, CA WX: 58.7øF, 59.0% humidity, 3 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Altere on Fri Jan 10 17:41:18 2020
    By: Altere to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 2020 04:48 pm

I won't discourage you from doing a backup but rebuilding the source doesn't replace any of your text or configuration files, just your executables.
    http://wiki.synchro.net/install:nix
    Look near the bottom on Clean Rebuild.

Well, that make my Friday night a little more tolerable.
    Thanks!

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... A specified environmental conditions will always be exceeded.

---
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Altere on Fri Jan 10 19:00:00 2020
    By: Altere to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 2020 04:48 pm

I just did this. I now have a .dosemu in my sbbs/ctrl. There's nothing in there, but it's there now.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... If you can count your money you don't have a billion dollars.

---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 17:48:00 2020
    Will Milberger wrote to Digital Man <=-

It's USE_DOSEMU=1

You probably should back them up, but most of them won't get
    altered by a rebuild. Just follow (carefully) the instructions on
    the Wiki for doing a development update. It only takes a few
    minutes.

... Backup not found: (A)bort (R)etry (P)anic
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Will Milberger on Fri Jan 10 17:50:00 2020
    Will Milberger wrote to Digital Man <=-

I could have sworn I did the 'ol DOSEMU=1 thing as I cut and
    pasted when I setup sbbs.

Well, the example command lines on the Wiki do not include the
    USE_DOSEMU=1 statement, so if you copy/pasted and executed that
    command, it would explain your problem...

No.

Yes.

I have DOSEMU in Ubuntu.

Good.

... Nothing is so smiple that it can't get screwed up.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Rampage on Fri Jan 10 20:44:36 2020
    By: Rampage to Grease on Fri Jan 10 2020 07:37 pm

create yourself a sysop only xtrn command to run dosemu... then it'll configure everything as needed and you can edit it if desired like i pointed out in another of my messages...

Okay, some headway. I got the ../ctrl/.dosemu folder
    I made the autoexec.bat and config.sys and copied the fossils into the .dosemu directory.
    When I try to run the door, or the command .com external, I get these messages:

can't create local /root/.dosemu directory
    can't create local /root/.dosemu/run directory
    can't open /sbbs/node1/dosemu_boot.log for writing

I can open a terminal and type dosemu, and it loads up the autoexec and config.sys. I can even do it in a shell.
    It doesn't load the cdrom, it is root on E:

You and everyone else has been very patient with me, and I thank you.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... Ambition is the last refuge of the failure.

---
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Rampage on Fri Jan 10 21:22:54 2020
    By: Grease to Rampage on Fri Jan 10 2020 08:44 pm

It's not reading the sbbs dosemu. It's still reading the Ubuntu one.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... Ahh! Come on Erick, just this one last little feature!

---
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Will Milberger on Sat Jan 11 04:21:12 2020
    Will wrote:

echo $DISPLAY
    if DISPLAY is set then that's your problem. I had this initially and I
    can't remember for the life of me how I resolved it. I obviously unset
    DISPLAY before sbbs runs.

I get :

That's your problem then. When you run a dos door it's trying to open dosemu
    in an xwindow which isn't going to work. Like I said, I don't remember how I resolved it myself, I'll have to see if I can find out.

---
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Will Milberger on Sat Jan 11 04:24:35 2020
    Will wrote:

echo $DISPLAY
    if DISPLAY is set then that's your problem. I had this initially and I
    can't remember for the life of me how I resolved it. I obviously unset
    DISPLAY before sbbs runs.

I get :

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

How are you starting sbbs? From the command line? systemctl?

---
  • From mark lewis@VERT to Grease on Sat Jan 11 09:06:55 2020
    By: Grease to Rampage on Fri Jan 10 2020 21:22:54

It's not reading the sbbs dosemu. It's still reading the Ubuntu one.

no, you've got something else wrong...

the first two lines seem to indicate that you're running the bbs as root... you
    really should not do that...

the second line seems to indicate that you ran the bbs as root and are now running it under a different user/group that doesn't have permission to write in that area...

i don't know how much customization you have done or how far along you are in your configuration but i would consider to restart from a bare bones OS install
    and do it all again...

1. install the OS
    2. install dosemu
    3. install the build environment
    4. do the sbbs install from the ground up
    maybe use my bare bones install script from here
    https://pastebin.com/atJxybmU

5. intermittently update to the latest code
    maybe use my update script from here
    https://pastebin.com/yBVEw3iW

there are some vars in the scripts that may need to be adjusted for your desired installation... i put all my sbbs stuff in /sbbs that i created with root and chowned to sbbs/sbbs so my sbbs user can use it... everything in /sbbs
    is owned by sbbs/sbbs... i use an init.d script to start sbbs so it runs as root so it can use ports less than 1024... then sbbs drops permissions level to
    those of my sbbs/sbbs user/group... if i need to maintain the bbs, i log in as sbbs and do what i need to do...

i've also found a variable down in the update script that i should move to the top with the other editable vars... it is DLDIR and points to $HOME/downloads/sbbs-dev where the latest sbbs_run.tgz file is downloaded to so
    the latest text.dat can be extracted and compared to the existing one... the script does this so you know if some prompts have been added or changed so you can update them if you have customized them... in any case the DLDIR may need to be pointed to another directory and that's the only reason i mention it here... the script also assumes it already exists and along with moving the var
    to the top, i should have the script check for it and create it if it does not exist...

so you may not want to use my scripts for a few of these reasons... i guess i really should get them up into a repo on my github... maybe i will do that this
    weekend? i dunno... either way, the scripts work nicely for those that have used them... i've used them numerous times in several new VMs... mainly for testing but in some cases for hosting new setups...

my c0ffee is kicking and my trains are running wild... gotta go and stop rambling...

)\/(ark
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Nelgin on Sat Jan 11 09:21:14 2020
    By: Nelgin to Will Milberger on Sat Jan 11 2020 04:24 am

I am using SynchronetManagementConsole. It's basically a daemon setup in python.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... All work and no play make Jack a dull boy and Jill a wealthy widow.

---
  • From Altere@VERT/ATHEL to Grease on Sat Jan 11 12:35:17 2020
    By: Grease to Rampage on Fri Jan 10 2020 08:44 pm

Okay, some headway. I got the ../ctrl/.dosemu folder
    I made the autoexec.bat and config.sys and copied the fossils into the .dosemu directory.

I'm not sure why it's trying to create a folder in /root, what user are you running Synchronet as? Additionally, you've done a lot of copying & creating various files and all of those should be owned by the proper user/group that you're starting Synchronet as.

-altere

---
  • From Mike Powell@VERT/CAPCITY2 to WILL MILBERGER on Sat Jan 11 10:53:00 2020

Yes and no. I recompile mine copy ever so often. If you recompile it
    without pulling any updates, all that will happen is that the binaries will
    be updated. Your configs, menus, etc., should all remain (but DO perform a backup FIRST! <grin>).

* SLMR 2.1a * Got my tie caught in the fax... Suddenly I was in L.A.

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Grease on Sat Jan 11 17:57:16 2020
    Grease wrote:

I am using SynchronetManagementConsole. It's basically a daemon setup in python.

Why?

Try to unset DISPLAY before you run the management console or whatever. If
    the management console is a gui then you're going to have problems. Why not just it from systemd like everyone else does (or should)?

For grins you can try to change /sbbs/src/sbbs3/xtrn.cpp line 1422

It should look like this:

"/usr/bin/env %s HOME=%s QUIET=1 DOSDRIVE_D=%s %s -I\"video { none }\" -I'keystroke \"\\r\"' %s -f%s -E%s -o%sdosemu_boot.log %s",

Change it to include DISPLAY=""

"/usr/bin/env %s DISPLAY="" HOME=%s QUIET=1 DOSDRIVE_D=%s %s -I\"video { none }\" -I'keystroke \"\\r\"' %s -f%s -E%s -o%sdosemu_boot.log %s",

Then recompile and restart.

Also, someone mentioned that you installed as root but trying to run as a different user. Make sure you chown -R whatever. /sbbs
    to ensure that the owner is set correctly. The only time I am root is to
    start and stop the BBS through systemd and even that drops the permissions
    to my bbs user.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nelgin on Sat Jan 11 16:49:07 2020
    By: Nelgin to Grease on Sat Jan 11 2020 05:57 pm

Grease wrote:

Why?

Try to unset DISPLAY before you run the management console or whatever. If the management console is a gui then you're going to have problems. Why not just it from systemd like everyone else does (or should)?

"/usr/bin/env %s HOME=%s QUIET=1 DOSDRIVE_D=%s %s -I\"video { none }\" -I'keystroke \"\\r\"' %s -f%s -E%s -o%sdosemu_boot.log %s",

"/usr/bin/env %s DISPLAY="" HOME=%s QUIET=1 DOSDRIVE_D=%s %s -I\"video { none }\" -I'keystroke \"\\r\"' %s -f%s -E%s -o%sdosemu_boot.log %s",

The correct way to insert double-quotes in a C string is the sequence: \"

So that'd be:
    "/usr/bin/env %s DISPLAY=\"\" HOME=%s QUIET=1 DOSDRIVE_D=%s %s -I\"video {
    none }\" -I'keystroke \"\\r\"' %s -f%s -E%s -o%sdosemu_boot.log %s"

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #44:
    KD = King Drafus (Allen Christiansen)
    Norco, CA WX: 56.8øF, 70.0% humidity, 4 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT to WILL MILBERGER on Sat Jan 11 11:32:00 2020
    Will,

You definitely need to resolve that "DOS not allowed error" first thing

Ewwww. :P Sounds like your BBS needs the Toilet Stall Graffitti Wall Door....200 flushes in ANSI. <G>

I could have sworn I did the 'ol DOSEMU=1 thing as I cut and pasted when I WM>setup sbbs. Is there a way to do it after the fact?

He may do it anyway. :P

I have DOSEMU in Ubuntu.

I'm just happy I got Windows 10 32-bit working the way I want, and
    with a set of utilities, it looks like Windows 7.

Daryl

* OLX 1.53 * If you think nobody cares, try missing some payments.
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Win32
    * Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - tbolt.synchro.net (1:19/33)
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Digital Man on Sun Jan 12 08:13:48 2020
    Digital wrote:
    By: Nelgin to Grease on Sat Jan 11 2020 05:57 pm

Grease wrote:

I am using SynchronetManagementConsole. It's basically a daemon setup in
    python.

Why?

Try to unset DISPLAY before you run the management console or whatever. If
    the management console is a gui then you're going to have problems. Why not
    just it from systemd like everyone else does (or should)?

"/usr/bin/env %s HOME=%s QUIET=1 DOSDRIVE_D=%s %s -I\"video { none }\"
    -I'keystroke \"\\r\"' %s -f%s -E%s -o%sdosemu_boot.log %s",

"/usr/bin/env %s DISPLAY="" HOME=%s QUIET=1 DOSDRIVE_D=%s %s -I\"video {
    none }\" -I'keystroke \"\\r\"' %s -f%s -E%s -o%sdosemu_boot.log %s",

The correct way to insert double-quotes in a C string is the sequence: \"

So that'd be:
    "/usr/bin/env %s DISPLAY=\"\" HOME=%s QUIET=1 DOSDRIVE_D=%s %s -I\"video {
    none }\" -I'keystroke \"\\r\"' %s -f%s -E%s -o%sdosemu_boot.log %s"

Yup, my bad. Good catch.

---
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Altere on Sat Jan 11 15:42:00 2020
    On 01-10-20 16:48, Altere wrote to Will Milberger <=-

True, but it never hurts to do a backup, just in case something goes horribly pear shaped. :)

... Oh - ah, I'm going to blow it up.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Grease on Thu Jan 16 04:11:09 2020
    Grease wrote:

So, we spend a lot of time trying to help you get this going. Did it work?

---
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Nelgin on Thu Jan 16 10:29:14 2020
    By: Nelgin to Grease on Thu Jan 16 2020 04:11 am

Not yet. I did a fresh install of operating system and sbbs. The usb stick wouldn't read my backup, so basically starting over from scratch. Luckily, I had my ansi screens on a different computer. It'll probably be another week or so until I get back to it.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... I photocopied a mirror. Now I have an extra photocopy machine.

---
    þ Synchronet þ DARK MATTER BBS <<*>> darkmatt.synchro.net <<*>> Howdy, Y'all!
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Grease on Thu Jan 16 12:30:19 2020
    Grease wrote:
    By: Nelgin to Grease on Thu Jan 16 2020 04:11 am

Not yet. I did a fresh install of operating system and sbbs. The usb stick wouldn't read my backup, so basically starting over from scratch. Luckily, I had my ansi screens on a different computer. It'll probably be another week or so until I get back to it.

What OS and version are you using?

If you went with Ubuntu (highly recommended, sbbs just works with ubunto) I
    can probably tar up my working dosemu setup. You'll just need to make sure
    the packages are installed and then drop in my tar. I did this before but
    for previous version of Ubuntu, it will have everything you need, config, emusetup.bat, fossil driver, configure all your drives, etc. I need a test subject for it anyway to make sure I got all the components.
    Let me know if you're interested.

---
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Nelgin on Thu Jan 16 15:04:15 2020
    By: Nelgin to Grease on Thu Jan 16 2020 12:30 pm

What OS and version are you using?

Swapped back to Manjaro (a form of Arch). Close enough to Ubuntu (At least to Debian)

I can probably tar up my working dosemu setup. You'll just need to make sure the packages are installed and then drop in my tar.

Sounds like fun. Willing to give it a try. Getting close enough on things to get back on the BBS to do the tarball on Sunday.
    I can d/l from your board, or you can upload it on darkmatt.synchro.net, or email to wilmil@rocketmail.com

Thanks!

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

... Money can't buy friends but you can get a better class of enemy.

---
    þ Synchronet þ DARK MATTER BBS <<*>> darkmatt.synchro.net <<*>> Howdy, Y'all!