• MX Records

From Prime@VERT/RETROCON to All on Wed Apr 1 05:12:45 2020
    I have G Suite configured for the domain that I want to use for my BBS. I'm OK with using a subdomain like bbs.nakedweasels.com instead, but I can't figure out how to configure MX records for a subdomain with Dyn, the current provider of my DNS services. (I didn't pick them exactly, but the provider I was using to make it possible to point my domain at a dynamic IP address in a way that could be updated with a particular service that I happened to be using at the time was purchased by Dyn, who decided to honor the lifetime service purchased from the original provider.) It's also worth noting that I can only update the IP for the A record for the base domain dynamically, so I currently have a CNAME for bbs. pointing to the bare domain.

If anyone has any experience with Dyn or perhaps knows of a better service for doing dynamic DNS with a custom domain, I would appreciate the input.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Retro Connect BBS
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Prime on Wed Apr 1 21:37:00 2020
    On 04-01-20 05:12, Prime wrote to All <=-

I have G Suite configured for the domain that I want to use for my BBS. I'm OK with using a subdomain like bbs.nakedweasels.com instead, but I can't figure out how to configure MX records for a subdomain with Dyn,
    the current provider of my DNS services. (I didn't pick them exactly,
    but the provider I was using to make it possible to point my domain at
    a dynamic IP address in a way that could be updated with a particular service that I happened to be using at the time was purchased by Dyn,
    who decided to honor the lifetime service purchased from the original provider.) It's also worth noting that I can only update the IP for the
    A record for the base domain dynamically, so I currently have a CNAME
    for bbs. pointing to the bare domain.

The syntax is the same, with the bbs. in front. Note that the MX can't point to a CNAME, you will need to point the MX to the bare domain that the CNAME points to. I don't know Dyn's interface, so I can't help with the specifics of entering the data. I could do it for BIND9 zone files, GoDaddy or afraid.org, as those are the systems and services I've used frequently.

In a BIND9 zone file, it would look like:

bbs.nakedweasels.com. IN MX nakedweasals.com. 5

I'm assuming Dyn updates the A record for nakedweasels.com.

... THE fIRST sTEP iS tO tAKE oFF tHE cAPS lOCK.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Mortifis@VERT/ALLEYCAT to Prime on Wed Apr 1 13:11:17 2020
    I have G Suite configured for the domain that I want to use for my BBS. I'm OK with using a subdomain like bbs.nakedweasels.com instead, but I can't figure out how to configure MX records for a subdomain with Dyn, the current provider of my DNS services. (I didn't pick them exactly, but the provider I was using to make it possible to point my domain at a dynamic IP address in a way that could be updated with a particular service that I happened to be using at the time was purchased by Dyn, who decided to honor the lifetime service purchased from the original provider.) It's also worth noting that I can only update the IP for the A record for the base domain dynamically, so I currently have a CNAME for bbs. pointing to the bare domain.

If anyone has any experience with Dyn or perhaps knows of a better service for doing dynamic DNS with a custom domain, I would appreciate the input.

I use dyn.com (still supported though yes it was sold) but not for MX. To edit your MX records on dyn.com ... log in (duh :-P) then under Services, select Services Overview, then under Zone Level Services (I use standard dns services) follow the link under your zone name, which will bring you to a page that allows you to edit your MX record(s) ... hope this helps

---
    þ Synchronet þ AlleyCat! BBS Lake Echo, NS Canada
  • From Prime@VERT/RETROCON to Tony Langdon on Wed Apr 1 18:18:56 2020
    Re: Re: MX Records
    By: Tony Langdon to Prime on Wed Apr 01 2020 09:37 pm

On 04-01-20 05:12, Prime wrote to All <=-

The syntax is the same, with the bbs. in front. Note that the MX can't point to a CNAME, you will need to point the MX to the bare domain that the CNAME points to. I don't know Dyn's interface, so I can't help with the specifics of entering the data. I could do it for BIND9 zone files, GoDaddy or afraid.org, as those are the systems and services I've used frequently.

That's what I was thinking, but I can't quite figure out how Dyn wants me to input it. After some more playing with it, I'm starting to think I'm going to have to deal with their customer support -- not something I am looking forward to at all. lol

---
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Prime on Wed Apr 1 16:23:31 2020
    Prime wrote:

---

Set your DNS name to be a CNAME for the bbs.synchro.net and use the Sync dyndns.js script to update on vert and it'll pick up any changes from there. Just have a short TTL on the domain and update vert more often if your IP changes.

bbs.nakedweasels.com. 1 IN CNAME bbsname.synchro.net.

That's what I would do in BIND anyway.

---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Prime on Thu Apr 2 13:59:00 2020
    On 04-01-20 18:18, Prime wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

That's what I was thinking, but I can't quite figure out how Dyn wants
    me to input it. After some more playing with it, I'm starting to think
    I'm going to have to deal with their customer support -- not something
    I am looking forward to at all. lol

Unfortunately, it's those specifics of the interface that I can't help with. :(
    Everyone has different ways of doing things.

... Artificial Intelligence: No match for natural stupidity.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Nelgin on Thu Apr 2 14:50:00 2020
    On 04-01-20 16:23, Nelgin wrote to Prime <=-

Set your DNS name to be a CNAME for the bbs.synchro.net and use the
    Sync dyndns.js script to update on vert and it'll pick up any changes
    from there. Just have a short TTL on the domain and update vert more
    often if your IP changes.

That doesn't answer the OP's question about adding a MX record for their system. CNAMEs have nothing to do with email (they're not allowed to). :)

... Necessity is the mother of invention
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Denn@VERT/OUTWEST to Prime on Wed Apr 1 23:52:13 2020
    Re: MX Records
    By: Prime to All on Wed Apr 01 2020 05:12 am

I use No-ip

---
    þ Synchronet þ outwestbbs.com - the Outwest BBS
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Tony Langdon on Thu Apr 2 02:50:19 2020
    Tony wrote:

Set your DNS name to be a CNAME for the bbs.synchro.net and use the
    Sync dyndns.js script to update on vert and it'll pick up any changes
    from there. Just have a short TTL on the domain and update vert more
    often if your IP changes.

That doesn't answer the OP's question about adding a MX record for their system. CNAMEs have nothing to do with email (they're not allowed to). :)

... Necessity is the mother of invention
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux

Geez, I need more sleep. K...ignore my previous post lol.

---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Nelgin on Thu Apr 2 20:41:00 2020
    On 04-02-20 02:50, Nelgin wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

Geez, I need more sleep. K...ignore my previous post lol.

Haha OK. :D

... One good turn gets most of the blanket.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Prime@VERT/RETROCON to Nelgin on Fri Apr 10 07:45:22 2020
    By: Nelgin to Prime on Wed Apr 01 2020 04:23 pm

Prime wrote:

---
    ­ Synchronet ­ Retro Connect BBS

Set your DNS name to be a CNAME for the bbs.synchro.net and use the Sync dyndns.js script to update on vert and it'll pick up any changes from there. Just have a short TTL on the domain and update vert more often if your IP changes.

bbs.nakedweasels.com. 1 IN CNAME bbsname.synchro.net.

That gives me an idea. I may just go shopping for another domain name in a few.

---
  • From Prime@VERT/RETROCON to Tony Langdon on Fri Apr 10 07:59:32 2020
    By: Tony Langdon to Nelgin on Thu Apr 02 2020 02:50 pm

It still inspired me to just go buy a new domain name. :-P

I now own RetroConnect.org. I just need to actually configure it all.

---
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Prime on Sat Apr 11 16:32:00 2020
    On 04-10-20 07:59, Prime wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

It still inspired me to just go buy a new domain name. :-P

I now own RetroConnect.org. I just need to actually configure it all.

Nice one. :)

... Old hitchhikers never die-they just throw in the towel.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux