• The Free Software Approved OS

From physalis17@VERT/DECKHEVN to ALL on Thu Aug 20 07:43:44 2015
    Have any of you guys used any of the FSF approved GNU/Linux operating systems? I tried to use Trisquel and I had problems with Broadcom drivers since there weren't any free drivers at the time.

Right now I am using a xubuntu. I'm thinking of trying out an FSF free OS. I
    am using a Lenovo Thinkpad R60 and I have noticed that my hardware is alot more compatible with GNU/Linux. Just looking for anyone's experience with these OS.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Decker's Heaven -//- bbs.deckersheaven.com
  • From Angrypunk@VERT/MUTINY to physalis17 on Tue Aug 18 08:21:48 2015
    Re: The Free Software Approved OS
    By: physalis17 to ALL on Thu Aug 20 2015 12:43 am

Have any of you guys used any of the FSF approved GNU/Linux operating system I tried to use Trisquel and I had problems with Broadcom drivers since there weren't any free drivers at the time.

That's usually the problem with these FSF approved distros. Hardware support is going to be hit or miss for things like 3d acceleration and wifi chipsets.

--
    Angrypunk

---
    þ Synchronet þ THE BATTLE FOR CTRL BEGINS...
  • From physalis17@VERT/DECKHEVN to Angrypunk on Thu Aug 20 21:50:06 2015
    By: Angrypunk to physalis17 on Tue Aug 18 2015 01:21 am

Have any of you guys used any of the FSF approved GNU/Linux operating sys
    tem
    I tried to use Trisquel and I had problems with Broadcom drivers since th
    ere
    weren't any free drivers at the time.

That's usually the problem with these FSF approved distros. Hardware support
    is
    going to be hit or miss for things like 3d acceleration and wifi chipsets.

--
    Angrypunk

---
    þ Synchronet þ THE BATTLE FOR CTRL BEGINS...
    Yeah, I understand Stallman has big problems with non free software. For some reason, I remember reading Broadcom was going to release their source code to become GPL compliant, but I could never get my Broadcom wifi to work in Trisquel.

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to physalis17 on Thu Aug 20 23:31:44 2015

Right now I am using a xubuntu. I'm thinking of trying out an FSF free OS. I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad R60 and I have noticed that my hardware is alot more compatible with GNU/Linux. Just looking for anyone's experience with these OS.

I don't think you will have many driver compatibility issues with an old Thinkpad. I've had a T42, T43, T60, X60 and now a T410 and they all work well with most modern linuces. I've run X/Lubuntu, mostly -- first because of hardware limitations, but later I grew to like LXDE. It reminds me of old Ubuntu.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to physalis17 on Fri Aug 21 16:32:02 2015
    By: physalis17 to Angrypunk on Thu Aug 20 2015 02:50 pm

Yeah, I understand Stallman has big problems with non free software. For some reason, I remember reading Broadcom was going to release their source code to become GPL compliant, but I could never get my Broadcom wifi to work in Trisquel.

Yeah, it's a pain. You need to use a program to extract bits from the binary "blob" that Broadcom provides. I always hated Broadcom cards for that reason alone.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From physalis17@VERT/DECKHEVN to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Aug 21 23:24:36 2015
    By: physalis17 to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Aug 21 2015 04:24 pm

Have you ever had any issues with Ubuntu? I am having problems with Xbuntu not booting properly into the OS. It will hang and I sometimes see no hdd activity. This is even in text mode which I use the majority of the time.

I'm wondering if it's the hard drive or if it's the display. I have to hard reset the laptop a couple of times to get to a login. If I do use the GUI, it will freeze by simply moving the mouse. This is for anyone that has run into this issue.

Thanks!

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to physalis17 on Sun Nov 20 04:47:38 2016
    On 2015-08-20 06:43 AM, physalis17 wrote:
    Have any of you guys used any of the FSF approved GNU/Linux operating systems?
    I tried to use Trisquel and I had problems with Broadcom drivers since there weren't any free drivers at the time.

Right now I am using a xubuntu. I'm thinking of trying out an FSF free OS. I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad R60 and I have noticed that my hardware is alot more
    compatible with GNU/Linux. Just looking for anyone's experience with these OS.

---
    � Synchronet � Decker's Heaven -//- bbs.deckersheaven.com

Yes, I use Trisquel GNU/Linux and it is great! :)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Electronic Warfare BBS | telnet://bbs.ewbbs.net
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to Angrypunk on Sun Nov 20 04:48:07 2016
    On 2015-08-18 03:21 AM, Angrypunk wrote:

Have any of you guys used any of the FSF approved GNU/Linux operating system
    I tried to use Trisquel and I had problems with Broadcom drivers since there
    weren't any free drivers at the time.

That's usually the problem with these FSF approved distros. Hardware support is
    going to be hit or miss for things like 3d acceleration and wifi chipsets.

--
    Angrypunk

---
    � Synchronet � THE BATTLE FOR CTRL BEGINS...

Thankfully my wifi and ethernet are supported.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Nov 20 04:49:38 2016
    On 2015-08-21 01:31 AM, Poindexter Fortran wrote:

Right now I am using a xubuntu. I'm thinking of trying out an FSF free OS.
    I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad R60 and I have noticed that my hardware is alot more compatible with GNU/Linux. Just looking for anyone's experience
    with these OS.

I don't think you will have many driver compatibility issues with an old Thinkpad. I've had a T42, T43, T60, X60 and now a T410 and they all work well with most modern linuces. I've run X/Lubuntu, mostly -- first because of hardware limitations, but later I grew to like LXDE. It reminds me of old Ubuntu.

---
    � Synchronet � realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org

I must say, my machine is not an old machine like a Thinkpad of "back in
    the days" is and I have my ethernet jack and wifi adapter (wifi card
    persay) working on Trisquel.

---