From Deavmi@VERT/KK4QBN to All on Tue Dec 13 14:16:23 2016
    Anyone here ever ran Haiku?

+==========+

Regards,
    Tristan B. Kildaire (Deavmi)

Email: deavmi@ewbbs.synchro.net; deavmi@kk4qbn.synchro.net

+==========+

---
    Synchronet KK4QBN BBS - (706)422-9538 - kk4qbn.synchro.net, Chatsworth GA US
  • From jagossel@VERT/KK4QBN to Deavmi on Tue Dec 13 18:00:25 2016
    Re: Haiku anyone?
    By: Deavmi to All on Tue Dec 13 2016 06:16 am

I did at one point in time in a VM years ago, not so much as of lately. Now, I am curious as to how far they have gone in their deveolopment. I will have to see if I get a chance anytime soon. :)

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/KK4QBN to jagossel on Tue Dec 13 18:03:13 2016
    Awesome.
    +==========+

Regards,

+==========+

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/KK4QBN to Deavmi on Tue Dec 13 18:04:02 2016
    Sorry that Haiku is not a UNIX-like system but I posted in this group anyway.

+==========+

Regards,

+==========+

---
  • From tfurrows@VERT/TINFOILH to Deavmi on Tue Dec 13 19:19:56 2016

+==========+

Regards,

+==========+

I tried it out briefly. It's an interesting concept, to have an OS with a very unified codebase at the core, and a more tightly controlled organization. My brother tried BeOS back in the day, which I never got around to. Depending on what you use your computer(s) for, Haiku might be a usable experiment for you, though if you depend on your computer for day-to-day work, Haiku might not be the best fit.

---
    Synchronet TinFoil Hat - tojam.net
  • From Mr_Chris@VERT to Deavmi on Wed Dec 14 02:30:50 2016

I have. I have tried it on an Eee PC 701. Most of the hardware is supported (including wireless). You can't really do much with it but it is a neat concept. I'd love to see it gain more traction.

---
    Synchronet Vertrauen Home of Synchronet [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From jagossel@VERT/KK4QBN to Deavmi on Wed Dec 14 06:34:08 2016
    By: jagossel to Deavmi on Tue Dec 13 2016 10:00 am

I did at one point in time in a VM years ago, not so much as of lately. Now,
    I
    am curious as to how far they have gone in their deveolopment. I will have t
    o
    see if I get a chance anytime soon. :)

Apparently, their latest stable release was from three years ago; however, there is active development going on in spite of the stale release.

Believe it or not, I was able to write up this message in Haiku's SSH client. And, yes... I misspelled the word "Haiku" in this screenshot. I am a terrible speller.

https://twitter.com/jagossel/status/808876959224700928

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to Mr_Chris on Wed Dec 14 18:39:48 2016
    On 2016-12-14 04:30 AM, Mr_Chris wrote:

I have. I have tried it on an Eee PC 701. Most of the hardware is supported (including wireless). You can't really do much with it but it is a neat concept. I'd love to see it gain more traction.

---
    � Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � telnet://vert.synchro.net

More traction indeed would be nice.

I have tried it by the way and yeah, it ain't usable for work yet.

---
    Synchronet Electronic Warfare BBS | telnet://bbs.ewbbs.net
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to jagossel on Wed Dec 14 20:28:41 2016
    On 2016-12-14 05:34 AM, jagossel wrote:

I
    o

Apparently, their latest stable release was from three years ago; however, there is active development going on in spite of the stale release.

Believe it or not, I was able to write up this message in Haiku's SSH client. And, yes... I misspelled the word "Haiku" in this screenshot. I am a terrible
    speller.

---
    � Synchronet � KK4QBN BBS - (706)422-9538 - kk4qbn.synchro.net, Chatsworth GA US

Oh there are nightlies. Those are the ones I was using.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to jagossel on Wed Dec 14 20:30:16 2016

I
    o

Believe it or not, I was able to write up this message in Haiku's SSH client. And, yes... I misspelled the word "Haiku" in this screenshot. I am a terrible
    speller.

---
    � Synchronet � KK4QBN BBS - (706)422-9538 - kk4qbn.synchro.net, Chatsworth GA US

Now that's bloody awesome mate.

I must say what I really like about Haiku is that desktop environment.
    That old style is great and I love it.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to jagossel on Wed Dec 14 20:32:24 2016

I
    o

speller.

---

I might run an IRC server on Haiku if I can.

---
  • From jagossel@VERT/KK4QBN to Deavmi on Sat Dec 17 23:10:27 2016

So, I did finally get the last nightly build from 2016-12-15 last night, and I noticed they are calling it a GCC2 Hybrid. Kind of worries me, because it implies that there is some form of a GCC kernal capable of running binaries for the *BSD and Linux flavors.

I have downloaded one game for the BeOS, Tetris, for me to test with in both the Alpha release from 3 years ago and to the aforementioned nightly build. Tetris ran fine in the Alpha release, but not at all in the nightly build. I am not sure if the failure was from not having the needed packages or not. I hadn't dug too deep into the problem to see if I can fix it. Haiku did say that there are some packages not included with the nightly builds.

In the nightly builds, I do like the slight change in apperance and the new
    GUI package manager, Haiku Depot. Also, one of their tweets on Twitter did say that they are able to, at least, boot to the desktop on a UEFI computer (the Macbook Air, i think, in the demo). So, they had made great strides, and I am glad they are still actively developing it to be a full-fledge operating system.

---
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to Deavmi on Sat Dec 17 23:17:32 2016
    By: Deavmi to Deavmi on Tue Dec 13 2016 10:04 am

Sorry that Haiku is not a UNIX-like system but I posted in this group anyway

+==========+

Regards,

+==========+

I'm still thinking of firing it up in a KVM instance at some point. I've never run Be before, and was always intrigued by it when it and the BeBox first came out. I'm sure the advantages it had at the time have been leapfrogged by todays systems, but it was an interesting idea. Almost like scaled down Unix-like OS geared specifically for the desktop.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    CDP
    The Diamond Mine BBS - telnet://bbs.dmine.net
    The Retro Room - http://forums.delphiforums.com/retroroom ------------------------------------------------------------------

---
    Synchronet Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to tfurrows on Sat Dec 17 23:19:07 2016
    By: tfurrows to Deavmi on Tue Dec 13 2016 11:19 am

I tried it out briefly. It's an interesting concept, to have an OS with a ve unified codebase at the core, and a more tightly controlled organization. My brother tried BeOS back in the day, which I never got around to. Depending o what you use your computer(s) for, Haiku might be a usable experiment for yo though if you depend on your computer for day-to-day work, Haiku might not b the best fit.

Off the top of your head, do you know if this runs in virtualized environments? I was just mentioning how I was considering using it as a KVM guest. Or maybe VirtualBox.

CDP
    The Retro Room - http://forums.delphiforums.com/retroroom ------------------------------------------------------------------

---
  • From jagossel@VERT/KK4QBN to Chris on Sun Dec 18 01:40:45 2016
    By: Chris to tfurrows on Sat Dec 17 2016 03:19 pm

Off the top of your head, do you know if this runs in virtualized environmen I was just mentioning how I was considering using it as a KVM guest. Or mayb VirtualBox.

Chris,

I was runing two different version of Haiku on VirtualBox. I am not sure about KVM, though. The only issue I ran into with using VirtualBox has the hypervisor for the Haiku VM was that the 3-year-old Alpha release does not have the VirtualBox Guest Additions readily available. The nightly builds do, thought, using the Haiku Depot. I noticed that the guest video driver isn't working, but I think the mouse integration does though. I never set up a share folder yet, so I really do not know if shared folders work there or not.

As far as KVM goes, your guess is as good as mine.

I apologize to tfurrows for jumping in before him, but it was something I knew the answer right away, and I thought that I would jump right in. :)

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to jagossel on Sun Dec 18 20:27:02 2016
    On 2016-12-17 10:10 PM, jagossel wrote:

So, I did finally get the last nightly build from 2016-12-15 last night, and I
    noticed they are calling it a GCC2 Hybrid. Kind of worries me, because it implies that there is some form of a GCC kernal capable of running binaries for
    the *BSD and Linux flavors.

I have downloaded one game for the BeOS, Tetris, for me to test with in both the Alpha release from 3 years ago and to the aforementioned nightly build. Tetris ran fine in the Alpha release, but not at all in the nightly build. I am
    not sure if the failure was from not having the needed packages or not. I hadn't dug too deep into the problem to see if I can fix it. Haiku did say that
    there are some packages not included with the nightly builds.

In the nightly builds, I do like the slight change in apperance and the new GUI package manager, Haiku Depot. Also, one of their tweets on Twitter did say
    that they are able to, at least, boot to the desktop on a UEFI computer (the Macbook Air, i think, in the demo). So, they had made great strides, and I am glad they are still actively developing it to be a full-fledge operating system.

---

Maybe just low-level changes since then (like the kernel) that have
    stopped the Tetris program from running?

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to jagossel on Sun Dec 18 20:27:36 2016

noticed they are calling it a GCC2 Hybrid. Kind of worries me, because it implies that there is some form of a GCC kernal capable of running binaries for

I have downloaded one game for the BeOS, Tetris, for me to test with in both the Alpha release from 3 years ago and to the aforementioned nightly build. Tetris ran fine in the Alpha release, but not at all in the nightly build. I am
    not sure if the failure was from not having the needed packages or not. I hadn't dug too deep into the problem to see if I can fix it. Haiku did say that

In the nightly builds, I do like the slight change in apperance and the new GUI package manager, Haiku Depot. Also, one of their tweets on Twitter did say
    that they are able to, at least, boot to the desktop on a UEFI computer (the Macbook Air, i think, in the demo). So, they had made great strides, and I am glad they are still actively developing it to be a full-fledge operating system.

---

Yes, I have seen someone booting Haiku OS on a Mac from a flashdrive.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to jagossel on Sun Dec 18 20:28:33 2016

---

Haiku Depot is a great addition. I wonder if there are package managers
    for the terminal though, that would sure be great!

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to Chris on Sun Dec 18 20:29:09 2016
    On 2016-12-17 10:19 PM, Chris wrote:
    By: tfurrows to Deavmi on Tue Dec 13 2016 11:19 am

I tried it out briefly. It's an interesting concept, to have an OS with a ve
    unified codebase at the core, and a more tightly controlled organization. My
    brother tried BeOS back in the day, which I never got around to. Depending o
    what you use your computer(s) for, Haiku might be a usable experiment for yo
    though if you depend on your computer for day-to-day work, Haiku might not b
    the best fit.

Off the top of your head, do you know if this runs in virtualized environments?
    I was just mentioning how I was considering using it as a KVM guest. Or maybe VirtualBox.

CDP

---
    � Synchronet � Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA

It does. I have run it many times. Runs on GNOME Boxes and Virtual Box.

---
  • From jagossel@VERT/KK4QBN to Deavmi on Mon Dec 19 06:27:30 2016
    Re: Re: Haiku anyone?
    By: Deavmi to jagossel on Sun Dec 18 2016 12:27 pm

Maybe just low-level changes since then (like the kernel) that have
    stopped the Tetris program from running?

Could have been, and what I would suspect. However, the version of BeOS Tetris that I've gotten did include the source code, and I am thinking about taking a look at it and see there is a clue as to why it wasn't working.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to jagossel on Mon Dec 19 20:17:13 2016
    On 2016-12-19 05:27 AM, jagossel wrote:
    By: Deavmi to jagossel on Sun Dec 18 2016 12:27 pm

Maybe just low-level changes since then (like the kernel) that have stopped the Tetris program from running?

Could have been, and what I would suspect. However, the version of BeOS Tetris
    that I've gotten did include the source code, and I am thinking about taking a
    look at it and see there is a clue as to why it wasn't working.

---

Try compiling it maybe on haiku.

---
  • From jagossel@VERT/KK4QBN to Deavmi on Mon Dec 19 23:07:36 2016
    By: Deavmi to jagossel on Mon Dec 19 2016 12:17 pm

That was the thing, I didn't have to compile it on the alpha release. I can try it in the nightly builds and see if it will compile it there or just error out and see if it will put a glaribgly obvious error.

---
  • From tfurrows@VERT/KK4QBN to Chris on Tue Dec 20 05:11:55 2016

Off the top of your head, do you know if this runs in virtualized environmen I was just mentioning how I was considering using it as a KVM guest. Or mayb VirtualBox.

I installed the nightly the other day in virtualbox. I googled some info on it, but I don't recall there being any big gotchas. It was very straight-forward. The NIC maybe needed a particular setting IIRC.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to tfurrows on Thu Dec 22 06:18:40 2016
    On 2016-12-20 04:11 AM, tfurrows wrote:

Off the top of your head, do you know if this runs in virtualized environmen
    I was just mentioning how I was considering using it as a KVM guest. Or mayb
    VirtualBox.

I installed the nightly the other day in virtualbox. I googled some info on it,
    but I don't recall there being any big gotchas. It was very straight-forward. The NIC maybe needed a particular setting IIRC.

---

Yeah, I don't know if networking actually worked. I think.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to Deavmi on Thu Dec 22 06:19:03 2016
    On 2016-12-21 10:18 PM, Deavmi wrote:
    On 2016-12-20 04:11 AM, tfurrows wrote:

Off the top of your head, do you know if this runs in virtualized
    environmen
    I was just mentioning how I was considering using it as a KVM
    guest. Or mayb
    VirtualBox.

I installed the nightly the other day in virtualbox. I googled some
    info on it,
    but I don't recall there being any big gotchas. It was very
    straight-forward.
    The NIC maybe needed a particular setting IIRC.

---
    � Synchronet � KK4QBN BBS - (706)422-9538 - kk4qbn.synchro.net,
    Chatsworth GA US

Yeah, I don't know if networking actually worked. I think.
    In virtual box that is.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to jagossel on Thu Dec 22 06:19:22 2016
    On 2016-12-19 10:07 PM, jagossel wrote:
    By: Deavmi to jagossel on Mon Dec 19 2016 12:17 pm

That was the thing, I didn't have to compile it on the alpha release. I can try
    it in the nightly builds and see if it will compile it there or just error out
    and see if it will put a glaribgly obvious error.

---

Yeah. :)

---
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to jagossel on Thu Dec 29 07:33:04 2016
    By: jagossel to Chris on Sat Dec 17 2016 05:40 pm

Chris,

I was runing two different version of Haiku on VirtualBox. I am not sure ab KVM, though. The only issue I ran into with using VirtualBox has the hypervisor for the Haiku VM was that the 3-year-old Alpha release does not h the VirtualBox Guest Additions readily available. The nightly builds do, thought, using the Haiku Depot. I noticed that the guest video driver isn't working, but I think the mouse integration does though. I never set up a sh folder yet, so I really do not know if shared folders work there or not.

As far as KVM goes, your guess is as good as mine.

I apologize to tfurrows for jumping in before him, but it was something I kn the answer right away, and I thought that I would jump right in. :)

Thanks for the added details. I may try it on KVM just to see how it works. I know I won't spend a ton of time with it, but it would be nice to see what it would have been like to run Be back in the day.

CDP

---
  • From Nighthawk@VERT/ABUTRE2 to Deavmi on Tue Feb 14 07:40:00 2017
    Deavmi wrote to All <=-

I have played around with a VM, nothing serious.

Found it an interesting operating system though. I'd run a BBS on it if I had
    the chance :)

---
    .-----________________--_ ________.--'-`--.____ Hugs from Flavio Bessa \____==================_) \_'===================' Syzo of Saturn's Orbit
    - -|__|-.______|=====/ `---' Netmail 4:801/189.1
    Live long ` ._ _ _ _~~~~~| fcbessa@gmail.com
    and prosper... `-.__________,' Always UnionNET Addicted!

... "Fuchs ia." "Fuchsia?" - Reptile Shaman to Delco
    --- MultiMail/Darwin v0.49
    Synchronet Ninho do Abutre 2 BBS - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • From KU2S@VERT/TLCBBS to Nighthawk on Wed Feb 15 04:04:00 2017
    N -=> Deavmi wrote to All <=-
    N
    N De> Anyone here ever ran Haiku?
    N
    N I have played around with a VM, nothing serious.
    N
    N Found it an interesting operating system though. I'd run a BBS on it if I
    N the chance :)
    N
    N
    N
    N ---

I have it on a VM, ran the earlier iteration, called BeOS on a laptop a
    couple of years back. Interesting little OS, almost entirely user
    supported, was very little commercial software released for it. It had potential, but almost all of it unrealized...

73 de KU2S
    ---
    JABBER v1.2 Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie
    Synchronet The Lost Chord BBS, Cheyenne, WY - tlcbbs.synchro.net:6080
  • From Jon Martin@VERT/TIME/BATTLEST to Deavmi on Mon Mar 27 17:33:18 2017

+==========+

Regards,

+==========+

I know I'm late to the discussion, but my 2 cents..

I ran BeOS as a desktop at work for about a year around 2000, when most of what I did (mostly dev using Emacs, mail using Pine..) was in a terminal, and the rest of the OS I used to play mp3s. Such a great OS, especially on a dual CPU box.

I wish I had time to contribute to the Haiku project. I've only run it in a VM to play with, but nothing beyond that.

---
    Synchronet Battlestar BBS - battlestarbbs.dyndns.org
  • From Deavmi@VERT/KK4QBN to Jon Martin on Tue Mar 28 11:57:09 2017

I know I'm late to the discussion, but my 2 cents..

I ran BeOS as a desktop at work for about a year around 2000, when most of what I did (mostly dev using Emacs, mail using Pine..) was in a terminal, and the rest of the OS I used to play mp3s. Such a great OS, especially on a dual CPU box.

I wish I had time to contribute to the Haiku project. I've only run it in a VM to play with, but nothing beyond that.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Battlestar BBS - battlestarbbs.dyndns.org

Cooleo man. I like Haiku as it really makes the desktop more personal (the theming is great).

+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
    Tristan B. Kildaire (deavmi@kk4qbn.synchro.net)
    Always study.
    +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+

---
    Synchronet KK4QBN + (706)-422-9538 + kk4qbn.synchro.net + 24/7/365
  • From Nighthawk@VERT/ABUTRE2 to KU2S on Thu Apr 6 18:22:00 2017
    KU2S wrote to Nighthawk <=-

I have it on a VM, ran the earlier iteration, called BeOS on a laptop a couple of years back. Interesting little OS, almost entirely user supported, was very little commercial software released for it. It had potential, but almost all of it unrealized...

73 de KU2S

A pity, indeed. Could have a lot of potential due to its speed and reliability.

---
    .-----________________--_ ________.--'-`--.____ Hugs from Flavio Bessa \____==================_) \_'===================' Syzo of Saturn's Orbit
    - -|__|-.______|=====/ `---' Netmail 4:801/189.1
    Live long ` ._ _ _ _~~~~~| fcbessa@gmail.com
    and prosper... `-.__________,' Always UnionNET Addicted!

... "Porque o meu nome... NO! NO NO!!" - Reptile Shama
    --- MultiMail/Darwin v0.50
    Synchronet Ninho do Abutre 2 BBS - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • From KU2S@VERT/TLCBBS to Nighthawk on Mon Apr 10 02:35:00 2017
    N -=> KU2S wrote to Nighthawk <=-
    N
    N KU> I have it on a VM, ran the earlier iteration, called BeOS on a laptop
    N KU> couple of years back. Interesting little OS, almost entirely user
    N KU> supported, was very little commercial software released for it. It ha
    N KU> potential, but almost all of it unrealized...
    N
    N KU> 73 de KU2S
    N
    N A pity, indeed. Could have a lot of potential due to its speed and
    N reliability.
    N
    N
    N
    N ---

Agreed. There's still a core of users who use and support the software,
    but not enough to make it an attractive prospect for commercial software development.

73 de KU2S
    ---
    JABBER v1.2 Jimmer the .QWK mail door for RBBS.
    Synchronet The Lost Chord BBS, Cheyenne, WY - tlcbbs.synchro.net:6080