• BBS platforms

From niter3@21:1/199 to paulie420 on Mon Jan 2 14:03:54 2023
    However, the systemd way is pretty neat too - it can test that mis isn't running, keep it up even if it fails and the system doesn't reboot, etc. Theres a lot more baked in that vswitchzero Mystic systemd setup that I referenced - which is why we were talking about running as root or
    another user. (his method prefers root, and my bbS isn't setup to be run in root - which is why the more topics explaining why scripts and python and dosemu stuff fails when run as root.) :P

I changed my setup to use port 2023 and just port translate it from port 23 to 2023 now. If for some reason there is an actual security issue.

I'm about to put up an SSH option and possibly redirect people that way.

... Fer sell cheep: BBS spel chekker. Wurks grate.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Clutch BBS * telnet://bbs.clutchbbs.com (21:1/199)
  • From Ragnarok@21:2/151 to Nightfox on Wed Sep 28 23:20:26 2022
    El 13/9/22 a las 14:46, Nightfox escribió:
    For sysops, I'm just curious what platforms & operating system you run your BBS in?

When I started my current BBS in 2007, I ran it in Windows for many years (sometimes on native hardware, and sometimes in a Windows VM). About 4 months ago, I decided to move my BBS setup to run in Linux (I've been running Linux as the host OS on my BBS PC since 2015 but had been running my BBS in a Windows VM on it). I'm using Synchronet, which is cross-platform, so I basically just had to move my comfiguration over to the Linux host OS and then update my DOS door configurations to make sure they'd run with DOSEMU in Linux. I did have a couple of Win32-native doors, which I lost, unfortunately (Tournament Trivia, Ashrella: Test of Time), but I was able to move at least one set of trivia questions to a DOS trivia door.

TradeWars 2002 initially wasn't running in Linux (DOSEMU 1.x was the default supported by Synchronet), but this past weekend I was able to get DOSEMU2 working with Synchronet, and now TradeWars 2002 is able to run again.

I feel like my BBS PC setup is more efficient now, as everything is running in Linux and I don't really need to run a Windows VM on it now (I also run Plex Media Server and a Minecraft server on it, and I'm also running PiHole on it as a network-wide ad blocker).

I think it's pretty cool what you can do these days with Linux, a free OS, and the free software available for it.

Sorry for the long-winded post..

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)

I run sbbs on debian, solid like a rock.
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Dock Sud BBS - bbs.docksud.com.ar - Argentina (21:2/151)