• English skills

From Spectre@21:3/101 to Nightfox on Thu Oct 27 19:31:00 2022
    It seems that way to me too. In recent years, I feel like I've been seeing more and more spelling and grammar mistakes in writing, and even

Found a good example tonight. Out of news.com.au, off hand a Murdoch offering..
    Huge hailstones have battered part of Australia, with more "severe" weather >to set to hit a major city tonight.

<embedded video>

Huge hailstones are bettering parts of New South Wales, with an emergency >warning declared.

I'm not so sure those Sydneysiders are going to be feeling the betterment delivered by golf ball sized hail.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Good Luck and drive offensively! (21:3/101)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Spectre on Tue Oct 18 08:59:12 2022
    Re: Re: Community
    By: Spectre to Adept on Mon Oct 03 2022 07:32 am

I don't know they were a lot smarter... but I'm specificially looking at english skills rather than IQ.. If I had to hazzard it with no real data, english reading and comprehension has been in decline since the mid to late 70s and its more recently fallen off a precipice...

It seems that way to me too. In recent years, I feel like I've been seeing more and more spelling and grammar mistakes in writing, and even sometimes in printed material (magazines, signs, etc.). It's like they don't have anyone proofread it, or those checking the work just don't have good English skills. And at the same time, people get really annoyed when you try to point out the bad spelling/grammar, or if you're genuinely confused by what you read, they thiink you're making fun of them or something.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to Nightfox on Tue Oct 18 11:34:33 2022
    Re: English skills
    By: Nightfox to Spectre on Tue Oct 18 2022 08:59 am

Re: Re: Community
    By: Spectre to Adept on Mon Oct 03 2022 07:32 am

I don't know they were a lot smarter... but I'm specificia
    english skills rather than IQ.. If I had to hazzard it wit
    english reading and comprehension has been in decline sinc
    late 70s and its more recently fallen off a precipice...

It seems that way to me too. In recent years, I feel like I've
    hecking the work just don't have good English skills. And at t

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux

Actually, what did you expect?

A quality Magazine with original content and a proofreading and
    tech revision team is about ten times more expensive than one that
    lacks proofing or which only buys articles from foreigner
    publications and has an underpaid Mexican translate them. Guess
    which magazines you may find in press stands and which ones you
    need to dig for in obscure places.

Number one reason I am so pissed by Spanish publishing houses is
    that they mostly purchase licenses from overseas instead of
    producing original content. I can't blame them, however. Everybody
    wants quality work free of translation mistakes but nobody wants
    to pay for it.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Arelor on Tue Oct 18 12:43:51 2022
    By: Arelor to Nightfox on Tue Oct 18 2022 11:34 am

It seems that way to me too. In recent years, I feel like I've
    hecking the work just don't have good English skills. And at t

A quality Magazine with original content and a proofreading and
    tech revision team is about ten times more expensive than one that
    lacks proofing or which only buys articles from foreigner
    publications and has an underpaid Mexican translate them. Guess
    which magazines you may find in press stands and which ones you
    need to dig for in obscure places.

For native English speakers, at least (and I live in the US, where English is the predominant language), I'd think most people would have a fairly good grasp on the language. But I often see simple mistakes such as people using the wrong version of their/they're/there, your/you're, etc., and using an apostrophe for a plural, etc.. Things like that seem like simple mistakes where I'd think at least native speakers would know better.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Nightfox on Wed Oct 19 07:08:00 2022
    It seems that way to me too. In recent years, I feel like I've been seeing more and more spelling and grammar mistakes in writing, and even sometimes in printed material (magazines, signs, etc.). It's like they don't have anyone proofread it, or those checking the work just don't have good English skills. And at the same time, people get really annoyed when you try to point out the bad spelling/grammar, or if you're genuinely confused by what you read, they thiink you're making fun of them or something.

You can see these same errors and problems in news services these days too. Probably a partial problem induced by reliance on spell checkers. The rest of it is words that are spelt correctly but have not place in the sentence
    they're in, and you either have to guess the intent, or know that it's meant
    to be something else.

The other looks like someone has edited the line for whatever reason, but the edit is out of context to the rest of the article, like a hybrid sentence
    that changes tense or similar.

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Arelor on Wed Oct 19 07:43:00 2022

To be frank, better.

The errors I see are so basic anyone casting an eye over the text should
    be able to pick it up. I can get with the idea when you write something,
    and edit it, you'll have a tendency to read what you thought you wrote,
    that's why there are proofreaders or in fact non-proofreaders also.

If you can't get it right, and you have no form of reader proof or otherwise,
    I find it will help quite significantly if you read it to yourself aloud. You'll often find things that get overlooked otherwise.

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Nightfox on Wed Oct 19 07:46:00 2022
    For native English speakers, at least (and I live in the US, where English is the predominant language), I'd think most people would have a fairly good grasp on the language. But I often see simple mistakes such as people using the wrong version of their/they're/there, your/you're, etc., and using an apostrophe for a plural, etc.. Things like that seem like simple mistakes where I'd think at least native speakers would know better.

I think this is driven by the assumption on the author's part that they'll
    get it right the first time every time. Which they obviously don't, and in this day and age where there are no losers, they take umbrage when the
    problems are pointed out.

So they appear to be not reading their own material back, and have an over reliance on spell checkers.

Spec

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Nightfox on Wed Oct 19 11:22:48 2022
    I don't know they were a lot smarter... but I'm specificially looking english skills rather than IQ.. If I had to hazzard it with no real d english reading and comprehension has been in decline since the mid t late 70s and its more recently fallen off a precipice...

It seems that way to me too. In recent years, I feel like I've been seeing more and more spelling and grammar mistakes in writing, and even sometimes in printed material (magazines, signs, etc.). It's like they don't have anyone proofread it, or those checking the work just don't
    have good English skills. And at the same time, people get really
    annoyed when you try to point out the bad spelling/grammar, or if you're genuinely confused by what you read, they thiink you're making fun of
    them or something.

I see such errors in news articles, of all places. Another growing error is misuse of words. Sometimes accidentally, sometimes deliberately. For example, people using "literally" for emphasis, using "challenge" in place of problem, overusing "apparently", "actually".

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to Spectre on Tue Oct 18 18:14:09 2022
    By: Spectre to Arelor on Wed Oct 19 2022 07:43 am

To be frank, better.

The errors I see are so basic anyone casting an eye over the text should
    be able to pick it up. I can get with the idea when you write something, and edit it, you'll have a tendency to read what you thought you wrote, that's why there are proofreaders or in fact non-proofreaders also.

If you can't get it right, and you have no form of reader proof or otherwise,
    I find it will help quite significantly if you read it to yourself aloud. You'll often find things that get overlooked otherwise.

Spec

I come from a tech documentation background, so when I think of bad mistakes, I think
    of functional mistakes. If you assign a wrong number to a part or a diagram, you can
    cause a lot of trouble for the user.

Then there are the instruction sets you cannot replicate for cheap in your home. Maybe
    you are writing some tutorial for a specific piece of equipment you are very familiar
    with, but you don't happen to have nearby by the time you are writing, and since
    deadlines are a bitch you end up finishing the piece crouched in the backseat of a
    bus.

That is the reason why you have a team for hunting mistakes.

I find it is a lot like that in the world of literary writings. Even under ideal
    conditions, any text of a respectable size will have mistakes, no matter you have
    gone through it three times, and then had a proofreading team go through it three
    extra times. Keep in mind I have not started about examining plot consistency yet.

My gripe is the current industry of written fiction pretty much expects authors to
    deliver a publishing grade work to the publishing house. This means a given author is
    to deliver a text which is 95% ready for publication, in a formatting determined by
    the publisher, in exchange for a 85% probability of the publisher sending the text to
    /dev/null without ever reading it.

Think of it. The author is supposed to accomplish a titanic task in exchange for a
    meager probability of it being read. Basically, we are asking writers to do work for
    value of 250*bucks in exchange of scraps. OF COURSE quality is going to suffer. If you
    think a manuscript has a hitting chance of only 2%, its marginal value is close to
    worthless, so if you can spend a day instead of one week on it, you will.

* Aproximate labor time taken to write a short story, if time is priced at minimum
    wage rates.

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Arelor on Wed Oct 19 14:53:00 2022
    I come from a tech documentation background, so when I think of bad mistakes, I think of functional mistakes. If you assign a wrong
    number to a part or a diagram, you can cause a lot of trouble
    for the user.

That seems reasonable, and I'd expect in some kind of tech documentation the author would know more on what they are writing about to make the work functionally useful. Diagrammatical errors I'd associate less with an author as most authors wouldn't be the illustrative author. So there might be a disconnect between the author of the text and the artist.

Then there are the instruction sets you cannot replicate for cheap in your home. Maybe you are writing some tutorial for a specific piece of equipment you are very familiar with, but you don't happen to have
    nearby by the time you are writing, and since deadlines are a bitch
    you end up finishing the piece crouched in the backseat of a bus.

This sounds like a mash between someone not doing it as a primary role, and trying to compete in that market. I know nothing about deadlines, never had
    to work to any, at least not since high school. It strikes me as poor time management if you need the device on hand and you no longer have it, or its
    at home and you're on a bus for some reason. Shrug, I hear what you're saying but, it seems you're either in the wrong job, or need a better focus on that job. I don't have any fantastic answer for this.

extra times. Keep in mind I have not started about examining plot consistency yet.

This one seems cut and dried to me, if the author of some fictional work
    can't keep the story straight, how is anyone else going to manage it? I'm not sure proofreaders are going to help that much if at all.

My gripe is the current industry of written fiction pretty much expects authors to deliver a publishing grade work to the publishing
    house. This means a given author is to deliver a text which is 95%
    ready for publication, in a formatting determined by the publisher,
    in exchange for a 85% probability of the publisher sending

This does appear to be unrealistic. Times change I s'pose, but I'd have thought the authors job is to tell an entertaining coherent story, that's as good as they can make it. After that you'd feed it to your "proofreader",
    get it typeset, re-read and head of to print or publish. It's a waste of time if they haven't even decided they like before even worrying about the subsequent details.

Think of it. The author is supposed to accomplish a titanic task in exchange for a meager probability of it being read. Basically,
    we are asking writers to do work for value of 250*bucks in
    exchange of scraps. OF COURSE quality is going to suffer

Short stories for the most part and I might be wrong, make me reminisce about pulp fiction. If thats the market you're in, then the strike rate has always been low even in the days of yore. Some ~90 hit the fireplace without going anywhere so this is not a new phenomenon but the extra work required going by the above is pointless if that is the case. Used to be a thing about getting something, anything published by someone being an accomplishment in its own right. Perhaps you need a level of that to keep you at it, without looking at it as a "job". I think in order to make any kind of serious money in the writing field you need to either be really lucky and or be truly exceptional
    at it, the money makers seem to be the exception, not the rule.

Spec

• From Arelor@21:2/138 to Spectre on Wed Oct 19 04:35:16 2022
    By: Spectre to Arelor on Wed Oct 19 2022 02:53 pm

I come from a tech documentation background, so when I think of bad mistakes, I think of functional mistakes. If you assign a wrong
    number to a part or a diagram, you can cause a lot of trouble
    for the user.

That seems reasonable, and I'd expect in some kind of tech documentation the author would know more on what they are writing about to make the work functionally useful. Diagrammatical errors I'd associate less with an author
    as most authors wouldn't be the illustrative author. So there might be a disconnect between the author of the text and the artist.

Then there are the instruction sets you cannot replicate for cheap in your
    home. Maybe you are writing some tutorial for a specific piece of equipment you are very familiar with, but you don't happen to have nearby by the time you are writing, and since deadlines are a bitch
    you end up finishing the piece crouched in the backseat of a bus.

This sounds like a mash between someone not doing it as a primary role, and trying to compete in that market. I know nothing about deadlines, never had to work to any, at least not since high school. It strikes me as poor time management if you need the device on hand and you no longer have it, or its at home and you're on a bus for some reason. Shrug, I hear what you're saying
    but, it seems you're either in the wrong job, or need a better focus on that job. I don't have any fantastic answer for this.

This one seems cut and dried to me, if the author of some fictional work can't keep the story straight, how is anyone else going to manage it? I'm not
    sure proofreaders are going to help that much if at all.

My gripe is the current industry of written fiction pretty much expects
    authors to deliver a publishing grade work to the publishing
    house. This means a given author is to deliver a text which is 95% ready for publication, in a formatting determined by the publisher,
    in exchange for a 85% probability of the publisher sending

This does appear to be unrealistic. Times change I s'pose, but I'd have thought the authors job is to tell an entertaining coherent story, that's as good as they can make it. After that you'd feed it to your "proofreader", get it typeset, re-read and head of to print or publish. It's a waste of time
    if they haven't even decided they like before even worrying about the subsequent details.

Think of it. The author is supposed to accomplish a titanic task in exchange for a meager probability of it being read. Basically,
    we are asking writers to do work for value of 250*bucks in
    exchange of scraps. OF COURSE quality is going to suffer

Short stories for the most part and I might be wrong, make me reminisce about
    pulp fiction. If thats the market you're in, then the strike rate has always been low even in the days of yore. Some ~90 hit the fireplace without going anywhere so this is not a new phenomenon but the extra work required going by
    the above is pointless if that is the case. Used to be a thing about getting
    something, anything published by someone being an accomplishment in its own right. Perhaps you need a level of that to keep you at it, without looking at
    it as a "job". I think in order to make any kind of serious money in the writing field you need to either be really lucky and or be truly exceptional at it, the money makers seem to be the exception, not the rule.

Spec

Finishing something important in the backseat of a bus is an exception rather than a
    rule, but it happens. Real life is that place where the Editor in Chief needs some
    work done the same day you have 10 urgent deliveries to make on $job_01 and fix the
    server which stores the accounting data for $job_02.

In theory, publishers will take rough drafts and polish them, but in practice they
    only take texts which they can get publication ready as fast as possible. Most of the
    time that means anything they need to spend too much time fixing gets piped to /dev/null. A number of Editors for big pulp magazines outright say that they are
    unlikely to read past the first paragraph of each manuscript. The name of the game for
    them is Burning Through as Many Manuscripts as Possible. With so many manuscripts on
    their desks, anything that does not look fine from the get go is going into the trash
    bin.

I think most good authors will generate fiction free from gaping plot holes, but that
    does not mean you need not look for those. When one is writing, things are christal
    clear in his head, but you have to check your ideas are conveyed to the readers properly.

After being exposed to publisher's selection processes, I no longer think quality is
    what makes a money maker in the pulp market. I have seen quite a lot fine manuscripts
    kicked out so the Editor could work on mediocre ones instead. There is a lot of hidden
    criteria for selecting what gets worked on and what gets burnt at the stake, but I'd
    say if you write an average piece that can be sent to the press ASAP, you have much
    better chances of having the story bought than if you write a masterpiece which needs
    some extra adjustements to fit this month's magazine pagecount.

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Arelor on Thu Oct 20 04:48:00 2022
    /dev/null. A number of Editors for big pulp magazines outright say that they are unlikely to read past the first paragraph of each manuscript.
    The name of the game for them is Burning Through as Many Manuscripts
    as Possible. With so many manuscripts on their desks, anything that does not look fine from the get go is going into the trash bin.

I think most good authors will generate fiction free from gaping plot holes, but that does not mean you need not look for those. When
    one is writing, things are christal clear in his head, but you have
    to check your ideas are conveyed to the readers properly.

I see this as a failure on the authors part that an editor/proof reader shouldn't need to fix, if such failure exists it ought to be return to
    sender to get it right.

After being exposed to publisher's selection processes, I no longer think quality is what makes a money maker in the pulp market. I have seen
    quite a lot fine manuscripts kicked out so the Editor could work
    on mediocre ones instead. There is a lot of hidden criteria for
    selecting what gets worked on and what gets burnt at the stake,
    but I'd say if you write an average piece that can be sent to the
    press ASAP, you have much better chances of having the story bought
    than if you write a masterpiece which needs some extra adjustements
    to fit this month's magazine pagecount.

All this makes sense. After all, the publisher is there to put together a selection which while it might not be brilliant, will be acceptable. It will need to fit the required page counts certainly for paper anyways as it will
    be hiddeously expensive to exceed those numbers.

You'd expect that they'd have guidlines for word/page counts going in. I'd
    also expect that some will sit on the back burner waiting for a time when the page count fits goldilocks free page numbers in the "current" edition. So it may take some time before anything appears to happen.

It strikes me as being an entire industry that can't be taken seriously as a stand alone money making enterprise if you're going to write what you want
    to write. To maximise your chances of any given story being used you'll need
    to tailor your efforts to what fits in the publication you're sending scripts to.

Spec

• From ogg@21:2/147 to Spectre on Wed Oct 19 15:10:09 2022
    ....To maximise your chances of any given story being
    used you'll need to tailor your efforts to what fits in the publication you're sending scripts to.

Spec

This brings to mind the saying "You need to know your audience."

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS
    Lufkin, TX
    fsxnet: 21:2/147

... Old musicians never die. They just decompose!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Altair IV BBS (21:2/147)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to Spectre on Wed Oct 19 15:21:43 2022
    By: Spectre to Arelor on Thu Oct 20 2022 04:48 am

You'd expect that they'd have guidlines for word/page counts going in. I'd also expect that some will sit on the back burner waiting for a time when the
    page count fits goldilocks free page numbers in the "current" edition. So it may take some time before anything appears to happen.

Most pulp publishers have general guidelines that don't apply to a given month. My
    experience is that guidelines are a bad foundation to work on because they are decorative at most.

See, Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine accepts, teoretically, flash fiction pieces,
    but I have never seen them publish flash fiction. What the publication wants and what
    they tell you they want is not necessarily the same. You really need to do research
    into which sort of thing the magazine is actually publishing, not what they say they
    are publishing.

Then there is the issue that a given magazine might publish a fixed number of stories
    for ech given length (say, 2 flash pieces and 5 short stories). If you send a flash
    piece and the editor has already selected 2, yours is gonna end up in /dev/null. There
    is not such a thing as saving a good story this month for future use in this industry.

Finally, there is the fact that many magazines don't seem to be sourcing their stories
    from their official slush pile. Baen's Universe Annex has not published material from
    their official slush platform for what must be an eternity.

My point is that the odds are so low that the mathematical profit expectancy of a
    given story is abyssmal, so it is just natural for quality to degrade. This dawned on
    me once I found an author, owner of some really hard hitting IP with thousands of
    fans, cutting corners really hard in his novel production process because making a
    profit was so unlikely.

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to ogg on Thu Oct 20 09:42:00 2022
    This brings to mind the saying "You need to know your audience."

I concur, you just need to make that executive decision who that audience is, the editor/publisher, or the ultimate readers of said publication. :)
    Obviously you can't get to the readers if you can't pass the editor.

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Arelor on Thu Oct 20 09:51:00 2022
    See, Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine accepts, teoretically, flash fiction pieces, but I have never seen them publish flash fiction.

Sorry no idea what that might be. I always thought Flash was the saviour of the universe.

selected 2, yours is gonna end up in /dev/null. There is not such
    a thing as saving a good story this month for future use in this
    industry.

I'm not going to say they keep a supply, but I'd be surprised if they had nothing as a fallback position. Maybe the one that missed out last month, shrug. Just something to plug a hole in case of nothing suitable being available.

My point is that the odds are so low that the mathematical profit expectancy of a given story is abyssmal, so it is just natural
    for quality to degrade. This dawned on me once I found an author,

As previously though, this has always been the case. Its the nature of the effort there is no guarantee of success. In the publishing game there have always been more contenders than there are spaces at the printing press. Also reinforces that it is not a viable job unless you get lucky.

Spec

• From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Arelor on Wed Oct 19 21:24:00 2022
    Hello Arelor!

** On Wednesday 19.10.22 - 15:21, Arelor wrote to Spectre:

See, Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine accepts,
    teoretically, flash fiction pieces, but I have never seen
    them publish flash fiction. [...]

Then there is the issue that a given magazine might publish
    a fixed number of stories for ech given length (say, 2
    flash pieces and 5 short stories). If you send a flash
    piece and the editor has already selected 2, yours is gonna
    end up in /dev/null. [...]

Never heard of the term flash fiction or flash piece. But I
    looked it up, and it even includes six-word story. Interesting.

Novellas or short stories are not very popular from my
    viewpoint as a book seller. Even poetry takes a backseat with
    many readers. The ONLY time a book of poetry takes off in sales
    is when it gets awareness via TikTok, Instagram, or Twitter.

So.. why not self-promote your stories with short TikTok
    videos. Make them imaginative and unique.. and you could be
    assured to get better sales.

Getting the word out and standing out from the crowd and other
    noise is the key.

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)