• Re: sending to a fido address in thunder

From Tracker1@21:3/149 to Atreyu on Thu Oct 27 22:09:27 2022
    On 10/25/22 08:33, Atreyu wrote:
    Well I agree with you there: *.MSG is a bad example. :-)

Ahh but you "got" the message!

In somewhat related programming musings I'm prepared to pay a handsome bounty for anyone who can successfully port the opensource Turbopower B-tree Isam library from Delphi to Freepascal in TP7 mode.

I know your a C guy but if you know anyone interested, shoot me an email.

At that point, why not just use SQLite instead?
    --
    Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com (21:3/149)
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Tracker1 on Fri Oct 28 07:23:35 2022
    On 27 Oct 22 22:09:27, Tracker1 said the following to Atreyu:

In somewhat related programming musings I'm prepared to pay a handsome bounty for anyone who can successfully port the opensource Turbopower B-tree Isam library from Delphi to Freepascal in TP7 mode.

At that point, why not just use SQLite instead?

Because the project in question would require a serious amount of retooling to use it.

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (21:1/176)
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Digital Man on Mon Oct 24 16:30:52 2022
    On 24 Oct 22 11:53:27, Digital Man said the following to Spectre:

Synchronet "Real Fact" #50:
    JAM and Squish were considered before developing Synchronet Message Base fo

I suspect there were good reasons for SBBS to use its own, either breaking DOS barriers or because you said to hell with the convoluted mess that is both.

Jam and Squish make you jump through more hoops than a starving dolphin at Marineland just to do one thing... write a new message.

What a freaking mess. Oh its Jam alright. Sticks all over your project as a royal pain. What a stupid format. What clueless moron thought it was a great idea to store the kludge lines seperately. In what universe was it necessary
    to do this. For what purpose... indexing kludges? The Fidonet police?

Squish and its stupid frames. Frames this. Frames that. Index the frames. Index the index. Don't forget the stupid squish logo/header. Index that too.

Bah.

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Atreyu on Mon Oct 24 14:40:30 2022
    Re: Re: sending to a fido address in thunder
    By: Atreyu to Digital Man on Mon Oct 24 2022 04:30 pm

On 24 Oct 22 11:53:27, Digital Man said the following to Spectre:

Synchronet "Real Fact" #50:
    JAM and Squish were considered before developing Synchronet Message Base fo

I suspect there were good reasons for SBBS to use its own, either breaking DOS barriers or because you said to hell with the convoluted mess that is both.

I actually thought the JAM format had some good ideas, and I borrowed those, when I created SMB. But I also saw some pretty critical mistakes in the JAM format, in my opinion, so I did my own thing, but documented and released a public C library and SDK for it.

Jam and Squish make you jump through more hoops than a starving dolphin at Marineland just to do one thing... write a new message.

I'm afraid SMB was no better in this regard, especially in the '90s. The SMBLIB/API has improved (become easier to do the "one thing") considerably in the 2000's however.

What a freaking mess. Oh its Jam alright. Sticks all over your project as a royal pain. What a stupid format. What clueless moron thought it was a great idea to store the kludge lines seperately. In what universe was it necessary to do this. For what purpose... indexing kludges? The Fidonet police?

SMB stores header fields (including FTN kludge lines, PATHs, SEEN-BYs) separate from the message text too. This enables all kinds of performance and extensibility that would be impossible or very difficult to achieve otherwise.

Squish and its stupid frames. Frames this. Frames that. Index the frames. Index the index. Don't forget the stupid squish logo/header. Index that too.

Bah.

:-)

I don't remeber the details of the Squish format much, but I don't remember seeing any good ideas worth borrowing for the SMB format either.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #78:
    SyncTERM = The Synchronet Terminal Emulator/BBS-client program
    Norco, CA WX: 75.1øF, 16.0% humidity, 0 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Digital Man on Tue Oct 25 10:41:19 2022
    On 24 Oct 22 14:40:30, Digital Man said the following to Atreyu:

SMB stores header fields (including FTN kludge lines, PATHs, SEEN-BYs) separate from the message text too. This enables all kinds of performance a extensibility that would be impossible or very difficult to achieve otherwi

The biggest problem I've always had with this is that its too techie... it is incredibly convoluted.

In all this time I was never convinced on the performance or extensibility... maybe if things really took off with adding multimedia/encoded/attachments or whatever but it just never happened.

Maybe I'm just alone in thinking that it should be stupid-simple to write a message to disk in one's program without having several different indexes or headers or frames or having to use someone else's API.

In *.MSG you fill out one header and dump your body, you're done... bad example but you get the message.

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Atreyu on Tue Oct 25 11:31:01 2022
    Re: Re: sending to a fido address in thunder
    By: Atreyu to Digital Man on Tue Oct 25 2022 10:41 am

In *.MSG you fill out one header and dump your body, you're done... bad example but you get the message.

--
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #39:
    Vacuum cleaner repair? What did you expect? Haji's quick vanish? - Saul
    Norco, CA WX: 70.0øF, 30.0% humidity, 0 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Digital Man on Tue Oct 25 15:33:18 2022
    On 25 Oct 22 11:31:01, Digital Man said the following to Atreyu:

Ahh but you "got" the message!

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2