• Re: Family History

From Adept@21:2/108 to esc on Sun Sep 25 11:26:23 2022
    Austria. Sadly we did find out that two of our relatives were killed in Auschwitz, and we were able to see their names there. Very sad.

That bit seems especially rough, but is also a fascinating connection. I imagine it brought the reality of the situation a bit closer to home.

Half of my family is basic white Euro mutt lineage with a strong Ukranian influence. The other half of me is nomadic Ashkenazi Jew.

The rest of your story was also an interesting read, and seems like an interesting adventure to have gone on.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From esc@21:4/173 to Adept on Sun Sep 25 09:52:43 2022
    That bit seems especially rough, but is also a fascinating connection. I imagine it brought the reality of the situation a bit closer to home.

Indeed, it was a very interesting thing to find out. I imagined a random aunt or uncle in my family being in Auschwitz as it was a pretty relevant analogue, and it was heartbreaking to think about. Naturally it's heartbreaking for anyone but it did make the entire event feel a bit more 'real' if that makes sense.

The rest of your story was also an interesting read, and seems like an interesting adventure to have gone on.

Thanks! I'm a bit history nerd in general so learning my own history was fascinating as well. The euro-mutt side of my family isn't a side that i communicate with but nevertheless I may try to go down that path at some point just to understand. *shrug*

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/11 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (21:4/173)
  • From Bex@21:1/137 to Adept on Fri Sep 23 14:14:00 2022
    Adept wrote to All <=-

But it was really neat to find the levels of connections I did.

That's a great story, thanks for sharing!

-+- Brightening your day. -Bex <3

... My... my wi-, my wife, Bunny? Do you see a wedding ring on my finger? Does t
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Adept on Sun Sep 25 16:07:00 2022
    Hello Adept!

** On Thursday 22.09.22 - 22:23, Adept wrote to All:

In the interests of getting some _other_ discussion going, I'd like to
    talk a bit about family history.

[...]

But it was really neat to find the levels of connections I did.

In a way it is sad to learn of these past connections, cuz
    noone is around to fill in the gaps or expound on details.

The best and meaningful connections are the ones we can make
    with living relatives.

I recently discovered this site and uncovered a trove of
    documents related to my parents, their siblings, and my
    grandparents as they navigated the WW2 environment.

https://collections.arolsen-archives.org/

English = https://collections.arolsen-archives.org/en

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to esc on Mon Sep 26 08:28:33 2022
    Indeed, it was a very interesting thing to find out. I imagined a random aunt or uncle in my family being in Auschwitz as it was a pretty
    relevant analogue, and it was heartbreaking to think about. Naturally

Yeah, little bit different when, "yes, this person was related to me, and they were murdered because of being related to people like me".

Thanks! I'm a bit history nerd in general so learning my own history was fascinating as well. The euro-mutt side of my family isn't a side that i communicate with but nevertheless I may try to go down that path at some point just to understand. *shrug*

Yeah, I feel pretty similarly. I don't have a whole lot of contact with _either_ side of my family, and I imagine if I knew the people I was finding out about, I'd probably have _serious_ disagreements.

But all I know is that they're related to me, and thus it's a connection to a time and place that I had limited connection to otherwise.

And that last bit was interesting, as it was the difference between a place being a random place of no particular import, and a place being a fairly random place of no particular import, but was actually integral, in a very limited way, in a variety of things directly involving me.

• From Adept@21:2/108 to Ogg on Mon Sep 26 09:24:08 2022
    In a way it is sad to learn of these past connections, cuz
    noone is around to fill in the gaps or expound on details.

Yeah, I did get that thought, from time to time, that it'd be nice to talk to various people, but unfortunately they're all dead.

I think I especially felt that way with any connections further back than great great great grandparents, as, while I'm able to find some hint of that generation, going back further seems... hard.

But I suppose it's really just that, eventually the info runs out, or gets too unclear, unless you're royalty or something.

The best and meaningful connections are the ones we can make
    with living relatives.

Yeah. Or, really, friends. As much as I'm enjoying learning about my family history, I'm way more likely to spend time and energy on strengthening bonds with people I'm close to for other reasons.

Especially at this point, where all of my closer relatives are at least an ocean away physically, and in many cases are just in a different space than I am.

But, eh, if I make a website of family history stuff, I'll try and get the word out to relatives who might find it of interest.