• Re: Plex Broadcast Recording

From Charles Blackburn@21:1/221 to Nightfox on Tue Oct 4 17:07:34 2022
    Re: Re: Plex Broadcast Recording
    By: Nightfox to paulie420 on Mon Oct 03 2022 07:19:15

I DVR occasionally but not a whole lot. You need a TV tuner compatible with your Plex server, and you also need to subscribe
    to Plex Pass for premium features (or buy the lifetime Plex Pass membership - Sometimes they have a sale on that). When you
    <CUT>
    And also a HDHomerun Flex 4K (it's a network streaming tuner, which Plex works with as well):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092GCN9NL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

you better be right... for 200 bucks it better work LOL

been looking for something like this anyway so the missus can watch TV and i can watch it in the living room LOL

regards
    ===

Charles Blackburn
    The F.B.O BBS 21:1/221 618:250/36
    bbs.thefbo.us IPV4/V6
    DOVE-Net FSX-Net MicroNET USENET
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: The FBO BBS - bbs.thefbo.us (21:1/221)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Charles Blackburn on Tue Oct 4 17:16:42 2022
    By: Charles Blackburn to Nightfox on Tue Oct 04 2022 05:07 pm

I DVR occasionally but not a whole lot. You need a TV tuner

you better be right... for 200 bucks it better work LOL

been looking for something like this anyway so the missus can watch TV and i can watch it in the living room LOL

Even if you don't use Plex, you can plug a USB hard drive into the HDHomerun Flex 4K tuner and it has its own DVR functionality (though they say that requires a paid TV guide service; with Plex I haven't had to pay for any TV Guide service for its DVR).

That unit also has 4 tuners, so you can be watching/recording up to 4 different TV stations at a time.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to gamgee/Deon on Sat Oct 8 14:38:07 2022
    As for *capturing* local broadcasts, pretty much everything (local) is Ga> available these days (in high definition, no less) over the air; which Ga> can be received with an HDTV antenna (sort of like the old fashioned Ga> "rabbit ears" type thing).

Ahhhh - I've seen them before; didn't even think that I could sniff the airwaves w/ the new digital HDTV stuff. I didn't even think about that; thanks.

Easy peasy - I used to use one of these:
    https://youtu.be/mW9DRcv56yQ

Ahhh; thanks too - another option. Yea, I'm in the US but appreciate the info most. Thanks.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Warpslide on Sat Oct 8 14:39:17 2022
    There's a good video that was just published during "Plex Pro Week" that walks you though that:
    https://youtu.be/Dzk48EK5zNY

Dude, thanks - yet ANOTHER option. I'd prefer to doso w/o hardware, so I'll be giving this link a watch today. Again, thx Warp!

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From paulie420@21:2/150 to Nightfox on Sat Oct 8 14:41:40 2022
    I DVR occasionally but not a whole lot. You need a TV tuner compatible with your Plex server, and you also need to subscribe to Plex Pass for premium features (or buy the lifetime Plex Pass membership - Sometimes they have a sale on that). When you configure a TV tuner with Plex, it has a live TV function where you can view broadcast TV channels with it (Plex will stream it to your devices) - Plex has an interface similar to
    a TV Guide where you can choose what channel/program to watch, and
    there's an option to have it record TV shows/movies/other content being broadcast.

I have a couple TV Tuners set up with my Plex PC - An internal PCI
    Express card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZSVLTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_t

And also a HDHomerun Flex 4K (it's a network streaming tuner, which Plex works with as well): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092GCN9NL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_t

Super cool; some others already suggested the HDHomerun, but the Flex 4K is prolly just a better model. This is rad, and I think I'm gonna add SOME TV tuner into my Plex setup.

While I don't 'want' for much thru cutting the cable cord, this would be the final piece. I just want local news and some other local stuff - sounds like I can iron it out w/ just a bit more hardware... have most everything else in place.

Appreciate it everyone who responded. Thanks!!!

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Nightfox@21:1/137 to paulie420 on Sat Oct 8 15:14:36 2022
    By: paulie420 to gamgee/Deon on Sat Oct 08 2022 02:38 pm

As for *capturing* local broadcasts, pretty much everything (local) is Ga>

Ahhhh - I've seen them before; didn't even think that I could sniff the airwaves w/ the new digital HDTV stuff. I didn't even think about that; thanks.

What do you mean by "sniff the airwaves" and "the new digital HDTV stuff"? Over-the-air TV stations have been broadcasting in digital high-definition in the US since at least 2009, when the legally mandated switchover happened.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110.1 to paulie420 on Sat Oct 8 20:04:56 2022
    *** Quoting paulie420 from a message to Nightfox ***

Super cool; some others already suggested the HDHomerun, but the Flex
    4K is prolly just a better model. This is rad, and I think I'm gonna
    add SOME TV tuner into my Plex setup.

It's worth noting that you need Plex Pass to use the DVR functions if you wanted to record anything.

While I don't 'want' for much thru cutting the cable cord, this would
    be the final piece. I just want local news and some other local stuff
    - sounds like I can iron it out w/ just a bit more hardware... have
    most everything else in place.

We particularity like having access to over-the-air local news for things like elections or other important events. We're fortunate to be located smack
    dab between Toronto & Buffalo so we get the best of both worlds (NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, CW, FOX, CBC, CHCH, CTV & CTV2, GLOBAL, CITY) as well as their sub channels like GRIT, BOUNCE, ANTENNA, REWIND, GET, LAFF, etc.

Jay

... I tried calling the tinnitus hotline, it just kept ringing

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4/mL
    * Origin: Northern Realms | tg.nrbbs.net | 289-424-5180 (21:3/110.1)
  • From Charles Blackburn@21:1/221 to paulie420 on Sun Oct 9 08:19:41 2022
    By: paulie420 to gamgee/Deon on Sat Oct 08 2022 14:38:07

As for *capturing* local broadcasts, pretty much everything (local) is Ga>> available these days (in high definition,
    As for *capturing* local broadcasts, pretty much everything (local) is Ga>> no
    less) over the air; which Ga> can be received with an HDTV antenna (sort of like the old fashioned Ga>> "rabbit ears"
    thing).

missed the context of this, but yea for the most part what I want to to watch is streamed for free on various services.

the missus likes the news etc and we have an OTA antenna for that and just in case some windbag decides to come and park it's backside over central florida for a day or two like the other week :D

just got one of them hd homeruns, it seems to work, but the cable line layout of this house isnt conducive right now, we're moving at the ened of the month so i'll get it setup properly then.

Ahhhh - I've seen them before; didn't even think that I could sniff the airwaves w/ the new digital HDTV stuff. I didn't
    even think about that; thanks.

i've tried it with my hanckRF-one... over here the RTL SDRs don't have enough bandwidth or understand ATSC. be nice if there was DVB broadcasts, but you know... europ has to be different :D

Ahhh; thanks too - another option. Yea, I'm in the US but appreciate the info most. Thanks.

the hd homerun 4k that was posted in another message worked fine for me. 4 tuners, can plug in a usb hard drive... that's all the missus wants lol

regards

Charles Blackburn
    ===

Charles Blackburn
    bbs.thefbo.us IPV4/V6

... Hell hath no fury like a bureaucrat scorned.
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Charles Blackburn@21:1/221 to paulie420 on Sun Oct 9 08:22:21 2022
    By: paulie420 to Nightfox on Sat Oct 08 2022 14:41:40

I have a couple TV Tuners set up with my Plex PC - An internal PCI
    Express card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZSVLTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_t
    And also a HDHomerun Flex 4K (it's a network streaming tuner, which Plex works with as well):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092GCN9NL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_t
    Super cool; some others already suggested the HDHomerun, but the Flex 4K is prolly just a better model. This is rad, and I
    think I'm gonna add SOME TV tuner into my Plex setup.

yea i literally got a flex 4k the other day, plugged it in the living room and it worked. the only issue i have is like everything else, IT DOESNT WORK ACROSS SUBNETS/VLANS!!!

so what you want to watch it on has to be on the same subnet as the damn box... it pisses me off, it's why i can't chromecast from my pc to the living room tv. I dont know why people can't just make a damn box that you can load their software up with and tell it... HERE IS THE IP ADDRESS ..... don't multicast search the bullshit.. pisses me off.

While I don't 'want' for much thru cutting the cable cord, this would be the final piece. I just want local news and some
    other local stuff - sounds like I can iron it out w/ just a bit more hardware... have most everything else in place.

that's all we have it for. local news etc and something different than what's on pluto, and other free streaming channels.

regards

Charles Blackburn
    ===

Charles Blackburn
    bbs.thefbo.us IPV4/V6

... All work and no play make Jack a dull boy and Jill a wealthy widow.
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Warpslide on Sun Oct 9 10:02:00 2022
    Hello Warpslide!

** On Saturday 08.10.22 - 20:04, Warpslide wrote to paulie420:

We particularity like having access to over-the-air local
    news for things like elections or other important events.
    We're fortunate to be located smack dab between Toronto &
    Buffalo so we get the best of both worlds (NBC, CBS, ABC,
    PBS, CW, FOX, CBC, CHCH, CTV & CTV2, GLOBAL, CITY) as well
    as their sub channels like GRIT, BOUNCE, ANTENNA, REWIND,
    GET, LAFF, etc.

GlobalTV (channel 2) went off-air a few weeks ago, and moved to
    digital (another tower, much farther away, and lower power).

.: no tv for me! I think I'm getting the best of the world NOW.

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Warpslide on Sun Oct 9 10:25:00 2022
    By: Warpslide to paulie420 on Sat Oct 08 2022 08:04 pm

It's worth noting that you need Plex Pass to use the DVR functions if you wanted to record anything.

Sometimes Plex has a discount on the lifetime Plex Pass (buy once and have access to it forever). Last I saw, normally it's $120, but a few years ago they had it for $80, and I decided to go ahead and get that.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Charles Blackburn on Sun Oct 9 10:28:19 2022
    By: Charles Blackburn to paulie420 on Sun Oct 09 2022 08:22 am

yea i literally got a flex 4k the other day, plugged it in the living room and it worked. the only issue i have is like everything else, IT DOESNT WORK ACROSS SUBNETS/VLANS!!!

so what you want to watch it on has to be on the same subnet as the damn box... it pisses me off, it's why i can't chromecast from my pc to the living room tv. I dont know why people can't just make a damn box that you can load their software up with and tell it... HERE IS THE IP ADDRESS ..... don't multicast search the bullshit.. pisses me off.

In addition to the HDHomerun, I also got a Hauppauge PCI Express tuner card for my Plex system, so it would have a tuner that's always accessible. The downside is, the Hauppauge tuner doesn't tune in ATSC 3.0 channels.. Plex still doesn't yet have support for ATSC 3.0 audio though, which is frustrating. With the HDHomerun, Plex can get the video for ATSC 3.0 channels but not the audio.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110.1 to Nightfox on Sun Oct 9 14:39:30 2022
    *** Quoting Nightfox from a message to Warpslide ***

Sometimes Plex has a discount on the lifetime Plex Pass (buy once and
    have access to it forever). Last I saw, normally it's $120, but a
    few years ago they had it for $80, and I decided to go ahead and get
    that.

Yeah, for Plex Pro Week they had 20% off again, so I pulled the trigger on lifetime which was CAD$128 even after the discount. $80 would have been nice... lol

Jay

... You've got to miss them to score sometimes

• From Charles Blackburn@21:1/221 to Nightfox on Sun Oct 9 17:33:49 2022
    By: Nightfox to Charles Blackburn on Sun Oct 09 2022 10:28:19

By: Charles Blackburn to paulie420 on Sun Oct 09 2022 08:22 am

yea i literally got a flex 4k the other day, plugged it in the living room and it worked. the only issue i have is
    like everything else, IT DOESNT WORK ACROSS SUBNETS/VLANS!!!

In addition to the HDHomerun, I also got a Hauppauge PCI Express tuner card for my Plex system, so it would have a tuner
    that's always accessible. The downside is, the Hauppauge tuner doesn't tune in ATSC 3.0 channels.. Plex still doesn't yet
    have support for ATSC 3.0 audio though, which is frustrating. With the HDHomerun, Plex can get the video for ATSC 3.0
    channels but not the audio.

yea i have an older analog tv tuner card... a good ol' win pctv lol.... i may get a tv tuner card, but my issue is my plex is in a VM so yea.... too lazy to scrwe around with pci passthrough

regards

Charles Blackburn
    ===

Charles Blackburn
    bbs.thefbo.us IPV4/V6

... Extremely happy and extremely unhappy men are alike prone to grow hard-hea --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Charles Blackburn on Sun Oct 9 16:38:00 2022
    By: Charles Blackburn to Nightfox on Sun Oct 09 2022 05:33 pm

yea i have an older analog tv tuner card... a good ol' win pctv lol.... i may get a tv tuner card, but my issue is my plex is in a VM so yea.... too lazy to scrwe around with pci passthrough

The HDHomerun tuners are standalone devices and connect to your network, and Plex is able to use those. I imagine Plex running in a VM could still make use of one of those.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Nightfox on Tue Oct 11 07:08:48 2022

The HDHomerun tuners are standalone devices and connect to your network,
    and Plex is able to use those. I imagine Plex running in a VM could still make use of one of those.

You can also use an Nvidia Shield to run all those various apps. It will run Plex, Kodi, HDHomerun, and all the main streaming apps.

I use the Nvidia Shields on all TVs to run the various apps. I used to have several HDHomerun cable card units back before I was 100% streaming and they worked very well. I'm sure the antenna/local channel version is nice as well.

- Mark
    ÿÿÿ
    --- WWIVToss v.1.52
    * Origin: http://www.weather-station.org * Bel Air, MD -USA (21:1/132.0)
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Weatherman on Tue Oct 11 08:25:02 2022
    On 11 Oct 22 07:08:48, Weatherman said the following to Nightfox:

I use the Nvidia Shields on all TVs to run the various apps. I used to have several HDHomerun cable card units back before I was 100% streaming and they worked very well. I'm sure the antenna/local channel version is nice as wel

I'm a huge fan of Tablo which I think is a clone of Hdhomerun, have the net-version in the home-rack, streaming all of my TV's here for the OTA stuff via Amazon Fire. Works perfectly.

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (21:1/176)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110.1 to Atreyu on Tue Oct 11 09:46:04 2022
    *** Quoting Atreyu from a message to Weatherman ***

I'm a huge fan of Tablo which I think is a clone of Hdhomerun, have
    the net-version in the home-rack, streaming all of my TV's here for
    the OTA stuff via AmazonFire. Works perfectly.

That's what we have going here as well. A 4 tuner box which gets worryingly hot, but were told that that's normal. We put thick rubber feet on the
    bottom and made sure it has plenty of space on all sides to that it can breathe.

We mostly watch pre-recorded stuff so we can skip though commercials, about the only time we watch live TV is for things like elections or other
    important events.

We have a "stacked" antenna with one pointing towards Toronto and the other towards Buffalo, it works well enough though it can sometimes cut out during bad weather.

Jay

... Pros are those who do their jobs well, even when they don't feel like it

• From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Warpslide on Tue Oct 11 11:21:20 2022
    On 11 Oct 22 09:46:04, Warpslide said the following to Atreyu:

We have a "stacked" antenna with one pointing towards Toronto and the other towards Buffalo, it works well enough though it can sometimes cut out during bad weather.

I only have the dual-tuner Tablo and an outdoor antenna sitting in my
    apartment window... I'm only a few blocks from lake Ontario... 35th street.

I can pick up about a dozen channels, some from Buffalo. But I really only watch Fox, MyTV and the Charge channel. I don't care for the local stuff.

The Tablo runs warm and sometimes looses the USB-connected hard drive; wishing stuff could be PVR'd to a Nas or network share instead of USB. Once in awhile the whole unit just drops off the network. Just vanishes to nowhereville
    until its power cycled. Debating on putting it on a mechanical outlet timer.

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Weatherman on Tue Oct 11 09:18:39 2022
    By: Weatherman to Nightfox on Tue Oct 11 2022 07:08 am

The HDHomerun tuners are standalone devices and connect to your
    network, and Plex is able to use those. I imagine Plex running in a
    VM could still make use of one of those.

You can also use an Nvidia Shield to run all those various apps. It will run Plex, Kodi, HDHomerun, and all the main streaming apps.

I think he was takling about Plex media Server and it having access to TV tuners.

As far as the Plex client app & others, I don't have an Nvidia Shield, but I do have a couple of Roku devices which run all those apps. Does the Nvidia Shield do something that Roku & other platforms don't?

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Charles Blackburn@21:1/221 to Nightfox on Tue Oct 11 16:21:03 2022
    By: Nightfox to Charles Blackburn on Sun Oct 09 2022 16:38:00

By: Charles Blackburn to Nightfox on Sun Oct 09 2022 05:33 pm
    yea i have an older analog tv tuner card... a good ol' win pctv lol.... i may get a tv tuner card, but my issue is my plex is in a VM so yea.... too lazy to scrwe around with pci
    passthrough
    The HDHomerun tuners are standalone devices and connect to your network, and Plex is able to use those. I imagine Plex running in a VM could still make use of one of those.

yea The hd-homerun is fine, but the pci tuner card requires pci-passthrough in proxmox and to be supported by the bios etc. same as for gpu passthrough

i havent played around with it that much to be honest, saw the HDHR on amazon and bought it. LOL

regards
    ===

Charles Blackburn
    bbs.thefbo.us IPV4/V6

... Whosoever diggeth a pit shall falleth therein.
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Charles Blackburn@21:1/221 to Atreyu on Tue Oct 11 16:24:44 2022
    By: Atreyu to Warpslide on Tue Oct 11 2022 11:21:20

On 11 Oct 22 09:46:04, Warpslide said the following to Atreyu:

The Tablo runs warm and sometimes looses the USB-connected hard drive; wishing stuff could be PVR'd to a Nas or network share instead of USB. Once in awhile the whole unit just drops off
    the network. Just vanishes to nowhereville
    until its power cycled. Debating on putting it on a mechanical outlet timer.

you could put it on a bootbox and reboot it from your armchair over the network :D I did that with the kids computer when he was younger and refused to go to bed

he's fine now LOL

regards
    ===

Charles Blackburn
    bbs.thefbo.us IPV4/V6

... When Chuck Norris crosses the street, the cars have to look both ways.
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Atreyu on Tue Oct 11 13:56:13 2022
    By: Atreyu to Weatherman on Tue Oct 11 2022 08:25 am

I'm a huge fan of Tablo which I think is a clone of Hdhomerun, have the net-version in the home-rack, streaming all of my TV's here for the OTA stuff via Amazon Fire. Works perfectly.

I bought a Tablo network TV tuner last year, and I thought it was actually fairly nice. I heard Tablo doesn't tune ATSC 3.0 channels though, which is the main reason I returned my Tablo and bought a HDHomerun Flex 4K. I thought the Tablo app had a bit better/more intuitive UI though.

Also, Plex can use the HDHomerun, but it seemed Plex didn't detect the Tablo and wasn't able to make use of it.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Warpslide on Tue Oct 11 13:57:22 2022
    By: Warpslide to Atreyu on Tue Oct 11 2022 09:46 am

That's what we have going here as well. A 4 tuner box which gets worryingly hot, but were told that that's normal. We put thick rubber feet on the bottom and made sure it has plenty of space on all sides to that it can breathe.

Yeah, I had heard the Tablo had some heating issues, especially if you put a platter HDD inside. I remember reading that some people opted to put an SSD inside (for DVRing content) rather than a platter HDD since SSDs don't generate as much heat.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Nightfox on Tue Oct 11 17:51:17 2022
    On 11 Oct 22 13:56:13, Nightfox said the following to Atreyu:

I bought a Tablo network TV tuner last year, and I thought it was actually fairly nice. I heard Tablo doesn't tune ATSC 3.0 channels though, which is the main reason I returned my Tablo and bought a HDHomerun Flex 4K. I thoug the Tablo app had a bit better/more intuitive UI though.

Yeah the Tablo UI seems fairly decent. A bit sluggish at times on the Amazon Fire sticks but that could be a number of things.

Also, Plex can use the HDHomerun, but it seemed Plex didn't detect the Tablo and wasn't able to make use of it.

Well as I wrote elsewhere here, I'd love it if Tablo could store PVR recordings on an SMB/Samba share on my Nas drives instead of the flakey USB external thats on there now. Does HD-Homerun do that? I may be misunderstanding your explanation. I vaguely remember looking at Plex a long time ago but just settled for the VLC app. Its good enough for the moderate- sized collection of goodies here.

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Charles Blackburn on Tue Oct 11 17:52:05 2022
    On 11 Oct 22 16:24:44, Charles Blackburn said the following to Atreyu:

you could put it on a bootbox and reboot it from your armchair over the network :D I did that with the kids computer when he was younger and refuse to go to bed

I have lots of mechanical timers from owning lizards, fish, snakes etc. I'm convinced its a long-time bug in the Tablo OS but its so rare its not enough to be annoying by any means.

he's fine now LOL

Lol, been there done that!

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Atreyu on Tue Oct 11 16:34:39 2022
    By: Atreyu to Nightfox on Tue Oct 11 2022 05:51 pm

Well as I wrote elsewhere here, I'd love it if Tablo could store PVR recordings on an SMB/Samba share on my Nas drives instead of the flakey USB external thats on there now. Does HD-Homerun do that? I may be

What is PVR? I know DVR is Digital Video Recorder, but I'm unfamiliar with the term PVR.

HDHomerun can record to a USB drive, but I haven't used that feature of it. I have used Plex to record TV broadcasts (Plex will use any tuner it has configured), and Plex will write those recordings to its "TV Shows" section (it may even be able to tell if it's recording a movie and save that to its "Movies" section). You can configure Plex's media library directories anywhere you want. Currently I have Plex using an internal hard drive, but I suppose you could configure Plex's media directories to be on a SMB share if you wanted to.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Exodus@21:1/176 to Nightfox on Tue Oct 11 20:09:50 2022
    What is PVR? I know DVR is Digital Video Recorder, but I'm unfamiliar with

OLD term ... BEFORE DVR ... (Personal Video Recorder)

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110.1 to Nightfox on Tue Oct 11 20:43:04 2022
    *** Quoting Nightfox from a message to Atreyu ***

What is PVR? I know DVR is Digital Video Recorder, but I'm
    unfamiliar with the term PVR.

PVR = Personal Video Recorder

It was popularized by Bell Canada here when they first came out with their satellite TV service. PVR is the same thing as DVR.

Jay

... I don't tell satellite jokes, they're always over your head

• From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Exodus on Tue Oct 11 18:03:23 2022
    By: Exodus to Nightfox on Tue Oct 11 2022 08:09 pm

unfamiliar with

OLD term ... BEFORE DVR ... (Personal Video Recorder)

Ah, I see. Maybe I missed that at the time. I thought the industry went from VCR right to DVR. :)

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Warpslide on Tue Oct 11 18:04:55 2022
    By: Warpslide to Nightfox on Tue Oct 11 2022 08:43 pm

unfamiliar with the term PVR.

It was popularized by Bell Canada here when they first came out with their satellite TV service. PVR is the same thing as DVR.

Ah, I hadn't noticed if PVR was used in the US. I remember DVR being common.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Nightfox on Tue Oct 11 23:07:32 2022
    On 11 Oct 22 16:34:39, Nightfox said the following to Atreyu:

What is PVR? I know DVR is Digital Video Recorder, but I'm unfamiliar with the term PVR.

Same as DVR. Its likely a Canuck mannerism...

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Exodus@21:1/176 to Nightfox on Tue Oct 11 23:34:01 2022

It was popularized by Bell Canada here when they first came out with th

Yeah .. Dish Network used it when their DVR first came out ... (or maybe it was DirecTV) .... I forget which, I sold both back then.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Atreyu on Wed Oct 12 09:30:04 2022

Do you have to pay anything for TV guide data farther out than 24 hours? I have never heard of Tablo, thanks for sharing the info.

I was using Locast to stream local channels for free until they were sued and had to terminate their service.

I think Pluto and Tubi offer some limited local channels. Around here, our local channels are all crap "news" channels that I'm fine with not having.

The only streaming service I pay for is Philo. Everything else is free content or downloaded.

- Mark
    ÿÿÿ
    --- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Nightfox on Wed Oct 12 09:42:20 2022

As far as the Plex client app & others, I don't have an Nvidia Shield, but
    I do have a couple of Roku devices which run all those apps. Does the
    Nvidia Shield do something that Roku & other platforms don't?

You can hook up gaming controllers to the Shield and play games on it. It also has bluetooth, which is what the remote uses to communicate with it.

I believe the shield has more local storage which comes in to play if you run Kodi locally on it. The shield will do 4k, but I believe the new Rokus will do that as well.

It is pretty quick on loading stuff, too, but I have never used a Roku other than a TV integrated one which isn't really the same thing.

- Mark
    ÿÿÿ
    --- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Atreyu on Wed Oct 12 09:51:32 2022

Well as I wrote elsewhere here, I'd love it if Tablo could store PVR recordings on an SMB/Samba share on my Nas drives instead of the flakey
    USB external thats on there now. Does HD-Homerun do that? I may be misunderstanding your explanation. I vaguely remember looking at Plex a
    long time ago but just settled for the VLC app. Its good enough for the moderate- sized collection of goodies here.

Not sure, but I when I had (2) HDHomeRun Prime tuners (back when I had cable TV and cable cards), I used Windows Media Center as my DVR which could save to share locations.

WMC could see the HDHomerun tuners on the network and I could schedule recordings and save them on shares. I would then use another program to strip commercials and re-encode them to MKV files.

Speaking of saving shows, I just used Allavsoft to download all the series to several old TV shows from the 80s from both Tubi and Pluto TV. This helps feed my data hoarding itch.

- Mark
    ÿÿÿ
    --- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Weatherman on Wed Oct 12 07:49:43 2022
    By: Weatherman to Nightfox on Wed Oct 12 2022 09:42 am

As far as the Plex client app & others, I don't have an Nvidia
    Shield, but I do have a couple of Roku devices which run all those
    apps. Does the Nvidia Shield do something that Roku & other platforms
    don't?

You can hook up gaming controllers to the Shield and play games on it. It also has bluetooth, which is what the remote uses to communicate with it.

Ah, interesting. I looked it up and I see it runs Android. I'd heard of the Nvidia Shield but I didn't really know much about it. Sony tried something like that once (with their NSZ-GT1) - They had an Android TV-based smart blu-ray player that had a remote control shaped like a game controller, since they wanted it to basically be a gaming platform too.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Weatherman on Wed Oct 12 10:30:16 2022
    On 12 Oct 22 09:30:04, Weatherman said the following to Atreyu:

Do you have to pay anything for TV guide data farther out than 24 hours? I have never heard of Tablo, thanks for sharing the info.

Not sure but I think I can scroll the guide as far as a week in advance.

They apprently have some sort of enhanced guide subscription for a one-time fee which also enables "remote streaming" but I can connect via. OpenVPN to
    my home network and stream my Tablo perfectly. Even works from my Iphone...

I think Pluto and Tubi offer some limited local channels. Around here, our local channels are all crap "news" channels that I'm fine with not having.

I don't think we have the same Pluto/Tubi experience in Canucksville.

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Weatherman on Wed Oct 12 10:39:43 2022
    On 12 Oct 22 09:51:32, Weatherman said the following to Atreyu:

Speaking of saving shows, I just used Allavsoft to download all the series t several old TV shows from the 80s from both Tubi and Pluto TV. This helps feed my data hoarding itch.

I have 17 thousand DVD's of hoarding... half of it is stuff absolutely no longer available, anywhere, seriously. Collecting obscure TV shows from the 80's and 90's was my "specialty" at one time. B-movies, exploitation flicks, foreign, almost every horror/scifi flick ever made was another.

That and every episode of Dr. Who, every episode of WWF wrestling with all the pay-per-views, all the wonderful trashy/sleezy Lifetime TV movies with their many variations on the themes of fucking the babysitter/teacher/authority figure/etc... you name it. Also a very large collection of vintage erotica...

There's no way I'd have the time or patience to recode/re-rip these to MKV.

The thing is, if something happens to me, nobody wants it, right now its still packed up in boxes stacked floor to ceiling occupying the entire hallway of my apartment. So my kid's not going to lug this to a college dormroom, nobody wants physical media anymore especially DVD-R's that cannot be resold or taken in by a goodwill store. Its really only of value to another crazy hoarder.

I wish there was a hoarder "swap meet", that would be a good idea for an app or website. Remember that episode of A&E Hoarders where the crazy grandma was spending every waking moment taping every single sleezy talkshow and soap from the 80's to the 90's... on VHS. *THAT* is the type of hoarding collection I'd gladly pay for and take the time to convert to MKV.

But it has to be a complete collection, no missing episodes. All or nothing.

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Weatherman on Wed Oct 12 08:16:16 2022
    By: Weatherman to Atreyu on Wed Oct 12 2022 09:30 am

I was using Locast to stream local channels for free until they were sued and had to terminate their service.

I was also using Locast until they had to terminate their service. I had just started using Locast earlier in 2021 and had given them a 1-year donation a couple weeks before they terminated..

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Nightfox on Wed Oct 12 19:47:45 2022

Ah, interesting. I looked it up and I see it runs Android. I'd heard of
    the Nvidia Shield but I didn't really know much about it. Sony tried something like that once (with their NSZ-GT1) - They had an Android
    TV-based smart blu-ray player that had a remote control shaped like a game controller, since they wanted it to basically be a gaming platform too.

Yes, I think of it as the Android equivalent to Apple TV. I'm an Android fan and also really like Nvidia, so this was a natural fit.

The real test is the wife seal of approval, which I can say is 100% approved. She likes it better than traditional cable, so that is the real win.

- Mark
    ÿÿÿ
    --- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Atreyu on Wed Oct 12 19:51:33 2022

Not sure but I think I can scroll the guide as far as a week in advance.

I used to subscribe to Schedules Direct back when I was still using Windows Media Center. That gave me months of guide data, and I think was around $20/year. That was my DVR back then.

I don't think we have the same Pluto/Tubi experience in Canucksville.

I could be incorrect about the local channels here on Pluto/Tubi. I might have glanced and seen something at one point, but I really have zero interest in the local channels around here. All garbage "news" channels for the most part.

- Mark
    ÿÿÿ
    --- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Atreyu on Wed Oct 12 19:57:45 2022

I have 17 thousand DVD's of hoarding... half of it is stuff absolutely no longer available, anywhere, seriously. Collecting obscure TV shows from
    the 80's and 90's was my "specialty" at one time. B-movies, exploitation flicks, foreign, almost every horror/scifi flick ever made was another.

Awesome! I have a friend that has the same, except it is music CDs/albums/etc. He has more CDs/albums than anyone I have ever seen in my life.

I wish there was a hoarder "swap meet", that would be a good idea for an
    app or website. Remember that episode of A&E Hoarders where the crazy grandma was spending every waking moment taping every single sleezy
    talkshow and soap from the 80's to the 90's... on VHS. *THAT* is the type
    of hoarding collection I'd gladly pay for and take the time to convert to MKV.
    But it has to be a complete collection, no missing episodes. All or
    nothing.

I have 90+TB of collections of vintage shows, all complete. I used to have CDs/DVDs, etc, but threw all of them away in favor of going all digital on hard drives. I converted all the rare stuff before tossing the media.

I will say that I have become a bit of a hoarding snob on the shows these days. I have been re-freshing all my content with the highest resolution available. Anything new, is 4k if it is available.

So I have become a bitrate snob.

- Mark
    ÿÿÿ
    --- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Nightfox on Wed Oct 12 20:19:30 2022

I was also using Locast until they had to terminate their service. I had just started using Locast earlier in 2021 and had given them a 1-year donation a couple weeks before they terminated..

I didn't use their service that often, but it was a good idea and worked well while it lasted. Unfortunately the big media companies sued them and they lost. Then terminated their platform. Sad, but at the same time that means less people watching their propaganda.

- Mark
    ÿÿÿ
    --- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Atreyu on Thu Oct 13 13:58:00 2022
    What is PVR? I know DVR is Digital Video Recorder, but I'm unfamiliar

Its really, Professional Video Recorder, won't record an amateur video :P

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Good Luck and drive offensively! (21:3/101)
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Spectre on Thu Oct 13 01:37:40 2022
    On 13 Oct 22 13:58:00, Spectre said the following to Atreyu:

What is PVR? I know DVR is Digital Video Recorder, but I'm unfamili

Its really, Professional Video Recorder, won't record an amateur video :P

Canuck shows are all amateur...

Atreyu

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Atreyu on Thu Oct 13 19:27:00 2022
    Its really, Professional Video Recorder, won't record an amateur video

That my friend is a bit harsh...

Spec

• From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Atreyu on Thu Oct 13 09:07:05 2022
    By: Atreyu to Spectre on Thu Oct 13 2022 01:37 am

I've seen bits of The Murdoch Mysteries and it seems like a pretty good show..

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Nightfox on Sun Oct 2 17:17:16 2022
    Plex can also be used as a DVR to record broadcast TV content, so it Ni> helps to keep it turned on for that too (though I don't DVR much these Ni> days)..

I read that you don't do it much anymore, but... how does one record broadcast TV thru Plex - or I guess the better question is how can I capture (and then record w/ Plex) broadcast TV?? Reason I ask is that I use streaming and don't have any cable internet these days, and I've long been l00king for a solution to simply get Portland (local) news broadcasts daily - with no good fix... for 5 years.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Gamgee@21:2/138 to paulie420 on Sun Oct 2 21:14:00 2022
    paulie420 wrote to Nightfox <=-

Plex can also be used as a DVR to record broadcast TV content, so it Ni>
    h
    elps to keep it turned on for that too (though I don't DVR much
    these Ni> days)..

I read that you don't do it much anymore, but... how does one
    record broadcast TV thru Plex - or I guess the better question is
    how can I capture (and then record w/ Plex) broadcast TV?? Reason
    I ask is that I use streaming and don't have any cable internet
    these days, and I've long been l00king for a solution to simply
    get Portland (local) news broadcasts daily - with no good fix...
    for 5 years.

I don't know how to use Plex to *record* broadcast TV, but hopefully
    Nightfox will answer that part. As for *capturing* local broadcasts,
    pretty much everything (local) is available these days (in high
    definition, no less) over the air; which can be received with an HDTV
    antenna (sort of like the old fashioned "rabbit ears" type thing).
    Available at somewhere like Walmart for $30-50, and they work
    surprisingly well. Doesn't even have to be on the roof or anything,
    just hang it in a window and it just works.

... ...and we had to chisel taglines into the walls of the cave.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From deon@21:2/116 to paulie420 on Mon Oct 3 13:39:28 2022
    By: paulie420 to Nightfox on Sun Oct 02 2022 05:17 pm

Howdy,

I read that you don't do it much anymore, but... how does one record broadcast TV thru Plex - or I guess the better question is
    how
    can I capture (and then record w/ Plex) broadcast TV?? Reason I ask is that I use streaming and don't have any cable internet
    these
    days, and I've long been l00king for a solution to simply get Portland (local) news broadcasts daily - with no good fix... for 5
    years.

Easy peasy - I used to use one of these:
    https://youtu.be/mW9DRcv56yQ

I've actually got one that I no longer use, which I'll probably put on Ebay.

(I'd happily give it to you, but postage will probably be ridiculus...)

...ëîåï
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110.1 to paulie420 on Mon Oct 3 09:23:22 2022
    *** Quoting paulie420 from a message to Nightfox ***

I read that you don't do it much anymore, but... how does one record broadcast TV thru Plex - or I guess the better question is how can I capture (and then record w/ Plex) broadcast TV??

There's a good video that was just published during "Plex Pro Week" that
    walks you though that:

https://youtu.be/Dzk48EK5zNY

TL;DR:

You can use an HD Home Run to do it over the network (if you have your plex server running on a Pi or NAS for example) or use a PC with a TV tuner card installed and have the Plex Media Server running on that PC.

One neat thing he pointed out in that video is plex can use more than one tuner, so you could have several HD Home Runs connected to different antennas (pointed in different directions) to get the most channels.

Jay

... I used to be addicted to soap, but I'm clean now

• From Charles Blackburn@21:1/221 to deon on Mon Oct 3 09:54:42 2022
    By: deon to paulie420 on Mon Oct 03 2022 13:39:28

I read that you don't do it much anymore, but... how does one record broadcast TV thru Plex - or I guess the better
    question is how
    can I capture (and then record w/ Plex) broadcast TV?? Reason I ask is that I use streaming and don't have any cable
    internet these
    days, and I've long been l00king for a solution to simply get Portland (local) news broadcasts daily - with no good
    fix... for 5 years.

see if you can find an HD Homerun 4 tuner box. you can still find them on amazon and i was looking at getting one myself
    as we don't have cable outside of internet. dont see point paying for something my missus can get for free lol

regards
    ===

Charles Blackburn
    bbs.thefbo.us IPV4/V6
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to paulie420 on Mon Oct 3 07:19:15 2022
    By: paulie420 to Nightfox on Sun Oct 02 2022 05:17 pm

Plex can also be used as a DVR to record broadcast TV content, so it Ni> h

I read that you don't do it much anymore, but... how does one record broadcast TV thru Plex - or I guess the better question is how can I capture (and then record w/ Plex) broadcast TV?? Reason I ask is that I use streaming and don't have any cable internet these days, and I've long been l00king for a solution to simply get Portland (local) news broadcasts daily - with no good fix... for 5 years.

I DVR occasionally but not a whole lot. You need a TV tuner compatible with your Plex server, and you also need to subscribe to Plex Pass for premium features (or buy the lifetime Plex Pass membership - Sometimes they have a sale on that). When you configure a TV tuner with Plex, it has a live TV function where you can view broadcast TV channels with it (Plex will stream it to your devices) - Plex has an interface similar to a TV Guide where you can choose what channel/program to watch, and there's an option to have it record TV shows/movies/other content being broadcast.

I have a couple TV Tuners set up with my Plex PC - An internal PCI Express card:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZSVLTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092GCN9NL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110.1 to Weatherman on Fri Oct 14 22:26:26 2022
    *** Quoting Weatherman from a message to Atreyu ***

Do you have to pay anything for TV guide data farther out than 24
    hours? I have never heard of Tablo, thanks for sharing the info.

Yeah, it's US$5 /mo or $50 /year:

https://www.tablotv.com/tv-guide-data-subscriptions/

They offered a lifetime plan up until August of 2022 (which is what we have).

For an additional US$2 /mo or $20 /year you can add on Automatic Commercial Skip:

https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-premium-service/

You don't HAVE to get these subscriptions, it'll show you guide data that it gets over-the-air if you don't. The subscription also enables out-of-home streaming.

Jay

... ((((( (((( ((( (( ( In Stereo Where Available ) )) ))) )))) )))))

• From Warpslide@21:3/110.1 to Spectre on Fri Oct 14 22:51:46 2022
    *** Quoting Spectre from a message to Atreyu ***

That my friend is a bit harsh...

It's kind of true. You can just tell when it's a Canadian show based on the quality of production. A lot of US movies & TV shows are filmed in Canada due to the tax breaks (a lot of Gotham was filmed in my city), and those look awesome. A Canadian show filmed in the same city just isn't the same.

Just look at the "official" video of when Charles was declared King of
    Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/accession-proclamation-king-charles-1.6578457

It might as well have been produced by the AV club of a high school in
    Ottawa.

The only two shows that actually seem kind of higher budget is Big Brother Canada & The Great Canadian Baking show, those are actually pretty good quality.

Jay

... I don't have any solution, but I certainly admire the problem

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Warpslide on Sat Oct 15 16:06:00 2022
    It might as well have been produced by the AV club of a high school in Ottawa.

Maybe it was... the only film crew available :P

It's kind of true. You can just tell when it's a Canadian show based on the quality of production. A lot of US movies & TV shows are filmed
    in Canada due to the tax breaks (a lot of Gotham was filmed in my
    city), and those look awesome. A Canadian show filmed in the same
    city just isn't the same.

Perhaps I'm confusing filmed in Canada, with local production in Canada.
    Never thought about it that hard, and don't think I've actually come across Canadian production. What comes to mind is a raft of series that were
    located in Canada... some of Stargate? I forget now. I have recollections of
    a lot being done there though.

Spec