• Starlink + BBS

From Goose@21:1/177 to All on Mon Jun 5 20:21:13 2023
    Hi there,

does anyone use BBS or other services with Starlink ? Is it possible to get a service running with it ?

Greetings
    Goose

... What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Goosenet BBS (21:1/177)
  • From Khronos@21:2/153 to Goose on Mon Jun 5 17:17:16 2023
    Hi there,

does anyone use BBS or other services with Starlink ? Is it possible to get a service running
    with it ?

One of my voip clients uses this service to run their operations in the Bahamas.
    Most times with Starlink they are using cg nat.
    This client was able to get a public ip to their equipment, but I do not know what the requirements / cost factors were.
    Is a public ip a part of their standard offering? I don't think so, but if you get ahold of the right people for a price I'm sure you can get one.
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Cw Shack Bbs - kf4yey.com (21:2/153)
  • From Renos@21:1/111 to Khronos on Tue Jun 6 04:24:56 2023
    What's wrong with hosting the BBS on a VPS instead of paying an extra fee for a public IP?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/11/23 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Another Droid BBS # andr01d.zapto.org:9999 (21:1/111)
  • From hollowone@21:2/150 to Renos on Mon Jun 5 20:03:43 2023
    What's wrong with hosting the BBS on a VPS instead of paying an extra
    fee for a public IP?

I believe all depends on the purpose of the board and the storage required. VPSes or minimum spec that won't cost fortune usually offer very limited storage space. If all you need is message boards and games, fine, but data hoarders most likely may require some proxy to their local NAS infrastructure by some door or other customization, I assume.

But still yeah. I'd rather open up BBS via VPS on public hosting site and channel backend traffic to additional internet sites/services, It should be easier to get anti DDOS package from VPS hoster than protecting yourself at home..

But this is just a series of assumptions by a newbie, who still more consumes than runs a board.

-h1

... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a mere copy.

* Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Khronos@21:2/153 to Renos on Tue Jun 6 15:19:02 2023
    What's wrong with hosting the BBS on a VPS instead of paying an extra fee for a public IP?

Nothing is wrong with this idea at all.
    The poster asked if it was possible to host a bbs on the satellite connection itself so I responded to that specific request.
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Cw Shack Bbs - kf4yey.com (21:2/153)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to hollowone on Tue Jun 6 19:33:18 2023
    I believe all depends on the purpose of the board and the storage required. VPSes or minimum spec that won't cost fortune usually offer
    very limited storage space. If all you need is message boards and games, fine, but data hoarders most likely may require some proxy to their
    local NAS infrastructure by some door or other customization, I assume.

I'm guessing I'm not the first to say this, but "minimum spec" seems basically _perfect_ for BBSs, since requirements are as minimal as you want them to be.

Though, yeah, I guess I do tend to want to have more files and message retention than probably people would have ever considered back in the 1980s.

But, that said, I imagine a lot of people want to play with the hardware themselves, in a way that's just not there with a VPS.

For me, VPS just makes more sense. Or at least did when my situation was unstable. But at this point, I have my BBS on a VPS, and it'd be more effort to change things again, and not really much of a point.

But if I were trying to run a BBS on 1980s hardware, obviously, no VPS option.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Khronos on Tue Jun 6 14:39:00 2023
    Khronos wrote to Goose <=-

One of my voip clients uses this service to run their operations in the Bahamas. Most times with Starlink they are using cg nat.
    This client was able to get a public ip to their equipment, but I do
    not know what the requirements / cost factors were. Is a public ip a
    part of their standard offering? I don't think so, but if you get ahold
    of the right people for a price I'm sure you can get one.

T-Mobile and Verizon offer static IP service for their hotspots, which
    usually have CGNAT. I'm sure Starlink has something similar. Otherwise,
    you could use a cloudflare tunnel to get packets to the other end of
    the Starlink network.

... The city devours the land, the people devour the city...
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Renos@21:1/111 to Khronos on Wed Jun 7 05:14:11 2023
    Yes, indeed.
    I wanted to offer an idea in case OP was indeed looking for an easy way to host a BBS.

• From Renos@21:1/111 to Adept on Wed Jun 7 20:06:11 2023
    But if I were trying to run a BBS on 1980s hardware, obviously, no VPS opt

Hello Adept.
    I saw an interesting project the other day on how to run an 80s BBS on emulated hardware using Vice:

https://adamwhitney.net/commodore-emulator-bbs/

Renos

• From hollowone@21:2/150 to Adept on Thu Jun 8 21:01:53 2023

unstable. But at this point, I have my BBS on a VPS, and it'd be more effort to change things again, and not really much of a point.

I started one on VPS quite recently. I keep it disconnected and not announced as I don't want to publish anything vanilla to the public, but yeah. I think if something is about to fail, VPS is easier to test it does not.

-h1

... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a mere copy.

* Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)