• Anonymous subs

From nolageek@nolageek@CAPSHRIL.remove-1c9-this to All on Thu Apr 30 07:22:53 2020
    From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

I've noticed that on subs that I have configured as Anonymous that most third party readers either show the poster's name, or they've started showing posts as Anonymous after some particular post number. (Which makes me think that maybe it was after I set it as Anonymous.) For example, I noticed today that DDMessageReader only shows the last two or three posts as from Anonymous - and when using DDMessageLister none of them show as Anonymous. EChickens reader doesn't show anything as Anonymous.

Could this be improved in some way so that if a sub is configured as Anonymous then Synchronet returns all posts as by Anonymous instead of leaving this up to the reader? Maybe as sysop I see the name, but some kind of indication that it's Anon, like the name in parenthesis?

|01-|03nolageek

---
    þ Synchronet þ Capitol Shrill BBS - Washington, DC - capitolshrill.com
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.112
    * Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-11c3-this to nolageek on Thu Apr 30 08:28:07 2020

To: nolageek
    Re: Anonymous subs
    By: nolageek to All on Thu Apr 30 2020 12:22 am

I've noticed that on subs that I have configured as Anonymous that most third party readers either show the poster's name, or they've started showing posts as Anonymous after some particular post number. (Which makes me think that maybe it was after I set it as Anonymous.) For example, I noticed today that DDMessageReader only shows the last two or three posts as from Anonymous - and when using DDMessageLister none of them show as Anonymous. EChickens reader doesn't show anything as Anonymous.

Unfortunately, infrequently-used features (such as anonymous sub-boards) don't get the test-coverage, so problems like that go unnoticed or unreported for years, sometimes decades. echicken is here, so hopefully he can address the issue (or I will).

I think DDMessageReader sounds like it's doing the right thing. When a sub-board is marked as anonymous, that means that *newly* posted messages will be posted anonymously (though the sysop/sub-op can still see who actually posted the message). Changing a sub-board to anonymous doesn't change the attributes of previously posted messages. It is technically possible to go back and change the attributes of previously posted messages (e.g. to add the "Anonymous" attribute), but I don't think anyone has ever expressed a desire to do that.

Could this be improved in some way so that if a sub is configured as Anonymous then Synchronet returns all posts as by Anonymous instead of leaving this up to the reader? Maybe as sysop I see the name, but some kind of indication that it's Anon, like the name in parenthesis?

The internal/stock methods of reading messages display the "Anonymous" attribute to the sysop along with the original poster's name.

User's with the 'A' exemption can *always* post on a sub-board anonymous so long as the sub-board is configure to allow it. That's why *each* message carries its own anonymous attribute.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #58:
    POP3 = Post Office Protocol version 3
    Norco, CA WX: 61.6øF, 93.0% humidity, 0 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
  • From echicken@echicken@ECBBS.remove-ck6-this to nolageek on Thu Apr 30 17:14:08 2020

By: nolageek to All on Thu Apr 30 2020 00:22:53

EChickens reader doesn't show anything as Anonymous.

I would highly recommend not using that. I forgot it existed, haven't worked on it in years, and don't plan on going back to it.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-lfl-this to nolageek on Thu Apr 30 18:12:58 2020

By: nolageek to All on Thu Apr 30 2020 12:22 am

I've noticed that on subs that I have configured as Anonymous that most third party readers either show the poster's name, or they've started showing posts as Anonymous after some particular post number. (Which makes me think that maybe it was after I set it as Anonymous.) For example, I noticed today that DDMessageReader only shows the last two or three posts as from Anonymous - and when using DDMessageLister none of them show as Anonymous.

I am the developer & maintainer of DDMessageReader, and there is no longer a 'DDMsgLister'.. My old message lister became my message reader (it has all the same functionality, plus the scrollable reader interface). So there's no reason to use my old message lister anymore. My old lister probably does not pay attention to the anonymous settings, and I beleive I only added that when it became the 'reader'.

It has been a while since I implemented the anonymous functionality in my reader, but it's very possible that showing messages as anonymous only works after you set the sub-board for anonymous posts.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-lfl-this to echicken on Thu Apr 30 18:14:29 2020

To: echicken
    By: echicken to nolageek on Thu Apr 30 2020 10:14 am

I would highly recommend not using that. I forgot it existed, haven't worked on it in years, and don't plan on going back to it.

I remember trying your reader and thought it was interesting that it had a threaded list view..

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-o7-this to echicken on Thu Apr 30 19:04:46 2020

To: echicken
    By: echicken to nolageek on Thu Apr 30 2020 10:14 am

By: nolageek to All on Thu Apr 30 2020 00:22:53

oh, I assumed he was referring to the web forum interface.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #59:
    REP = QWK Reply
    Norco, CA WX: 73.9øF, 69.0% humidity, 0 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.112
  • From nolageek@nolageek@CAPSHRIL.remove-chp-this to Nightfox on Mon May 4 06:36:17 2020

To: Nightfox
    By: Nightfox to nolageek on Thu Apr 30 2020 11:12 am

I've noticed that on subs that I have configured as Anonymous that
    most third party readers either show the poster's name, or they've
    I am the developer & maintainer of DDMessageReader, and there is no longer a 'DDMsgLister'.. My old message lister became my message reader (it has

My mistake, I am actually using DDMessageReader - and when using the list view I see the usernames of the people that have posted Anonymous message - even the ones that show up as Anonymous when reading their messages.

|01-|03nolageek

---
    þ Synchronet þ Capitol Shrill BBS - Washington, DC - capitolshrill.com