• Text browsers

From calcmandan@calcmandan@DIGDIST.remove-8ki-this to All on Mon May 4 20:52:00 2020
    From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

I've been interested in diskshop's lynx browser and thought how cool it is. While it's still a work-in-progress, I was wondering how hard it would be to make a door out of lynx or any other text browser?

Daniel Traechin

... Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.112
    * Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-tj1-this to calcmandan on Mon May 4 22:03:38 2020

To: calcmandan
    Re: Text browsers
    By: calcmandan to All on Mon May 04 2020 01:52 pm

I've been interested in diskshop's lynx browser and thought how cool it is. While it's still a work-in-progress, I was wondering how hard it would be to make a door out of lynx or any other text browser?

I wonder if Synchronet's cioxtrn could be used to set up Lynx as a door: wiki.synchro.net/howto:cioxtrn
    I don't see a download link there, but I have it for download on my BBS: http://www.digitaldistortionbbs.com/?page=002-files.xjs&dir=syncutil

Nightfox

---
  • From Ragnarok@ragnarok@DOCKSUD.remove-ehf-this to calcmandan on Tue May 5 04:15:27 2020

El 4/5/20 a las 17:52, calcmandan escribió:
    I prefer links over lynx , but i dont known if will work under door environment, also if you give aes to your users, you must ensure
    filesystem access/actions with -anonymous parameter.

Daniel Traechin

.... Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
    � Synchronet � Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

---
    ï¿­ Synchronet ï¿­ Dock Sud BBS TLD 24 HS - bbs.docksud.com.ar
  • From calcmandan@calcmandan@DIGDIST.remove-qyr-this to Nightfox on Tue May 5 06:37:00 2020

To: Nightfox
    Nightfox wrote to calcmandan <=-

Re: Text browsers
    By: calcmandan to All on Mon May 04 2020 01:52 pm

I wonder if Synchronet's cioxtrn could be used to set up Lynx as a
    door: wiki.synchro.net/howto:cioxtrn
    I don't see a download link there, but I have it for download on my
    BBS:
    http://www.digitaldistortionbbs.com/?page=002-files.xjs&dir=syncutil

That would be hella sick if it could work.

• From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-9fd-this to calcmandan on Tue May 5 03:11:11 2020

Re: Re: Text browsers
    By: calcmandan to Nightfox on Mon May 04 2020 11:37 pm

I've been interested in diskshop's lynx browser and thought how cool
    it is. While it's still a work-in-progress, I was wondering how hard
    it would be to make a door out of lynx or any other text browser?

I wonder if Synchronet's cioxtrn could be used to set up Lynx as a
    door: wiki.synchro.net/howto:cioxtrn
    I don't see a download link there, but I have it for download on my
    BBS:
    http://www.digitaldistortionbbs.com/?page=002-files.xjs&dir=syncutil

That would be hella sick if it could work.

I go back and forth on setting up internet-related things on a BBS. These days, most BBSes are available on the internet, which means users already have their own internet access, so I don't really see a whole lot of point in setting up something like a web browser on a BBS (even if it is text-based). Back in the mid-90s though, having some kind of internet access on a BBS was a lot more useful, since some people didn't have internet access yet.

Nightfox

---
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From calcmandan@calcmandan@DIGDIST.remove-gy0-this to Ragnarok on Tue May 5 09:24:00 2020

To: Ragnarok
    Ragnarok wrote to calcmandan <=-

El 4/5/20 a las 17:52, calcmandan escribi¢:
    I prefer links over lynx , but i dont known if will work under door environment, also if you give aes to your users, you must ensure filesystem access/actions with -anonymous parameter.

I'll be sure to let my sysop know.

• From calcmandan@calcmandan@DIGDIST.remove-5p8-this to Nightfox on Tue May 5 12:18:00 2020

I go back and forth on setting up internet-related things on a BBS.
    These days, most BBSes are available on the internet, which means users already have their own internet access, so I don't really see a whole
    lot of point in setting up something like a web browser on a BBS (even
    if it is text-based). Back in the mid-90s though, having some kind of internet access on a BBS was a lot more useful, since some people
    didn't have internet access yet.

Valid point I look at it from the perspective of the other user. Many people of rural america still rely on dialup and some bbs' still offer dialup nodes. There are those behind corporate proxies who could also benefit from a telnet/ssh connection since many basic configurations, that i've noticed, don't proxy such connections. I'm planning on launching my own board and look to include things like lynx not just for the text based web, but also for gopher. The difficulty lies on how bookmarking will work considering it acceses the local filesystem to save them.

And then there's the cool factor. You effectively acting as a proxy.

Daniel Traechin
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-12dl-this to calcmandan on Tue May 5 05:53:34 2020

By: calcmandan to Nightfox on Tue May 05 2020 05:18 am

Valid point I look at it from the perspective of the other user. Many people of rural america still rely on dialup and some bbs' still offer dialup nodes. There are those behind corporate proxies who could also benefit from a telnet/ssh connection since many basic configurations, that i've noticed, don't proxy such connections. I'm planning on launching my own board and look to include things like lynx not just for the text based web, but also for gopher. The difficulty lies on how bookmarking will work considering it acceses the local filesystem to save them.

And then there's the cool factor. You effectively acting as a proxy.

I think there's also a bit of a risk in enabling something like that. What if someone logs into your BBS and then loads a possible malicious web site using your BBS web browser, or perhaps loads a site that might trigger ISP or even FBI bots watching internet activity? I wonder if someone could get you in trouble that way by making it look like an internet request came from your system.

Nightfox

---
  • From calcmandan@calcmandan@DIGDIST.remove-riz-this to Nightfox on Tue May 5 13:45:00 2020

I think there's also a bit of a risk in enabling something like that.
    What if someone logs into your BBS and then loads a possible malicious
    web site using your BBS web browser, or perhaps loads a site that might trigger ISP or even FBI bots watching internet activity? I wonder if someone could get you in trouble that way by making it look like an internet request came from your system.

Well, most users desiring access to questionable websites would be using TOR. And, even then, browsers like lynx don't have a huge userbase. I couldn't tell you which sort of site would trip an investigation, but if I were to venture a guess, it would be heavy on multimedia content. I couldn't see someone using lynx for something like that. Forums perhaps? Well, I've attempted to access forums on lynx before and it's unproductive if anything. It simply can't display javascript, so you spend quite some time paging down looking for content. To say nothing of logging into these sites and posting comments.

There's always some level of risk when enabling services to a user. For instance, I don't know a single BBS that doesn't provide email automatically. One can use that email to send malicious emails, conduct spear phishing, social engineering... Granted, you'd have logs to show that it isn't you, but the risk is still there.

I'm looking at hosting my own board in the near future. And, while my board will have its own unique content and theme, I want to provide services that one wouldn't normally see on a BBS.

1. Web capability with a lynx-like interface
    2. An word-processor interface similar to wordperfect and utilizing a libreoffice backend. This is a far-fetched idea but the concept hit me when I logged into vertrauen and chose 'Deuce's dropdown shell.' It is a proof-of-concept idea of an OS-like UI that can be applied to a word processor. Spreadsheets would be even harder to implement.

For the record, I'm not asking you to host a web browser on your board. I sent the message to anyone. I just wondered if it would be hard to adapt lynx into a door.

Daniel Traechin
    ... Visit me at gopher://gcpp.world
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-mqi-this to calcmandan on Tue May 5 08:05:45 2020

By: calcmandan to Nightfox on Tue May 05 2020 06:45 am

For the record, I'm not asking you to host a web browser on your board. I sent the message to anyone. I just wondered if it would be hard to adapt lynx into a door.

I know. And as I mentioned earlier, I'd probably try cioxtrn. I'm not sure if cioxtrn is available for Linux, but I believe it's available for Windows - and I imagine there's probably a Windows (command prompt) verison of Lynx too.

Nightfox

---
  • From Rampage@rampage@SESTAR.remove-f20-this to calcmandan on Tue May 5 14:59:58 2020

By: calcmandan to Nightfox on Tue May 05 2020 05:18:00

calcmandan> And then there's the cool factor. You effectively acting as
    calcmandan> a proxy.

this was cool back when but there were also societal problems that came with it... specifically, there were some people intent on causing problems on a few systems so when they were banned, they'd bypass the ban by telnet-chaining from BBS to BBS to the one they wanted to cause problems on... that could lead to the destination BBS blocking the IPs of other BBSes which could break connectivity with those other systems... so the feature/capability was removed from the default install... the feature can still be done if one knows what to do to (re)build it, though...

)\/(ark

---
    þ Synchronet þ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Gamgee@gamgee@PALANT.remove-o2-this to calcmandan on Tue May 5 14:44:00 2020

calcmandan wrote to Nightfox <=-

There's always some level of risk when enabling services to a
    user. For instance, I don't know a single BBS that doesn't
    provide email automatically.

Mine doesn't.

One can use that email to send
    malicious emails, conduct spear phishing, social engineering...
    Granted, you'd have logs to show that it isn't you, but the risk
    is still there.

Exactly. My reasoning for not offering it is..... why would I?
    What user doesn't already have an email account (and probably
    multiple email accounts)? Why does a BBS user need another email
    account through my BBS? Doesn't even really make sense to me.

My board is also not reachable via the Web. Again - why? I want
    users to "call" my board, not browse to it.

Everyone has their own ideas on what a BBS should be, eh? :-)

... Press any key to continue or any other key to quit
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From calcmandan@calcmandan@DIGDIST.remove-8xh-this to Rampage on Tue May 5 23:11:00 2020

To: Rampage
    By: Gamgee to calcmandan on Tue May 05 2020 07:44 am

Exactly. My reasoning for not offering it is..... why would I?
    What user doesn't already have an email account (and probably
    multiple email accounts)? Why does a BBS user need another email
    account through my BBS? Doesn't even really make sense to me.

Why not? For my BBS at least, who wouldn't want a @digitaldistortionbbs.com email address? :P (I'm just being silly)

My board is also not reachable via the Web. Again - why? I want
    users to "call" my board, not browse to it.

This is a new age, and I actually like that BBS software like Synchronet has adapted to the times. It gives more options for people to connect to your BBS.

Everyone has their own ideas on what a BBS should be, eh? :-)

Yep :)

Nightfox

---
  • From poison@poison@MEMTW.remove-b5u-this to Gamgee on Tue May 5 18:48:35 2020

To: Gamgee
    By: Gamgee to calcmandan on Tue May 05 2020 07:44 am

I agree. I don't allow email on my board or access to my board by web. All services are off except for telnet.

* Patrick Siglin - www.memphistw.org *
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ [bbs.memphistw.org]
  • From Paulie420@paulie420@PAULIE42.remove-pbu-this to Nightfox on Wed May 6 02:09:59 2020

By: Nightfox to calcmandan on Mon May 04 2020 08:11 pm

I go back and forth on setting up internet-related things on a BBS. These days, most BBSes are available on the internet, which means users already have their own internet access, so I don't really see a whole lot of point in setting up something like a web browser on a BBS (even if it is text-based). Back in the mid-90s though, having some kind of internet access on a BBS was a lot more useful, since some people didn't have internet access yet.

Nightfox

My local BBS is where I got my first taste of the internet... then I found the awesome TCP/IP and GRAPHICS... lol... I remember the days of checking email from a Unix prompt. I also remember thinking, screw this internet stuff - its so hard... lol...

Also, a lot of those boards actually turned into the ISPs. Hell, TBBS software kinda changed over and started selling their multi-line BBSes ISP hardware and support. Sure wish I'd of jumped in on that, there were several millionairre stories straight out of the TBBS-->ISP journey.

|08Paulie|15420
    |15M|08@|15STERM|07i|15ND
    |14AmericanPiBBS|04.com

---
    þ Synchronet þ >>>American Pi BBS @ AmericanPiBBS.com:23>>>Rockin like its 1993!>>>
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-yde-this to Paulie420 on Wed May 6 05:59:39 2020

To: Paulie420
    By: Paulie420 to Nightfox on Tue May 05 2020 07:09 pm

My local BBS is where I got my first taste of the internet... then I found the awesome TCP/IP and GRAPHICS... lol... I remember the days of checking email from a Unix prompt. I also remember thinking, screw this internet stuff - its so hard... lol...

Around 1995, I started hearing about FTP access from a local BBS before I really knew what FTP and the internet was. When I first started learning about the internet, that was right about when I was using Windows 3.1 a lot for certain tasks. I started using the internet with Windows 3.1 - Trumpet Winsock to dial into my ISP, Netscape Navigator for browsing the web, and the various other Windows-based programs for internet use.

Around that time, the web site TUCOWS came around - It stood for The Ultimate Collection Of Winsock Software. Now I believe they've changed the W to stnad for "Windows".

Nightfox

---
  • From calcmandan@calcmandan@DIGDIST.remove-z39-this to Nightfox on Wed May 6 14:06:00 2020

Nightfox wrote to Paulie420 <=-

By: Paulie420 to Nightfox on Tue May 05 2020 07:09 pm

Around 1995, I started hearing about FTP access from a local BBS before
    I really knew what FTP and the internet was. When I first started learning about the internet, that was right about when I was using
    Windows 3.1 a lot for certain tasks. I started using the internet with Windows 3.1 - Trumpet Winsock to dial into my ISP, Netscape Navigator
    for browsing the web, and the various other Windows-based programs for internet use.

Around that time, the web site TUCOWS came around - It stood for The Ultimate Collection Of Winsock Software. Now I believe they've changed the W to stnad for "Windows".

Now that takes me back! Trumpet winsock, OMG. Yeah.

We had 3.11 and I paid $86 for a full year of unlimited internet access
    with free winsock software. I used the internet to look at web pages and
    BBS's to get my messages and play games.

It was sure better than the $15/month that AOL was charging for 10 hours.
    I may be off on the numbers.

Daniel Traechin

• From Paulie420@paulie420@PAULIE42.remove-9lq-this to Nightfox on Wed May 6 15:11:09 2020

By: Nightfox to Paulie420 on Tue May 05 2020 10:59 pm

Around 1995, I started hearing about FTP access from a local BBS before I really knew what FTP and the internet was. When I first started learning about the internet, that was right about when I was using Windows 3.1 a lot for certain tasks. I started using the internet with Windows 3.1 - Trumpet Winsock to dial into my ISP, Netscape Navigator for browsing the web, and the various other Windows-based programs for internet use.

Nightfox

LOL, I'm 40, and we had a very similair path to internet. I also used TOCOWS back then; and FTP... I remember using a UNIX prompt to get around at first, and went over to my girlfriends house where her father showed me Trumpter Winsock... in the last post I confused that for TCP/IP. Yup... the rest is history, huh!!

BTW, today TUCOWS is still around... they also created TING cell phone service, which is kind of a cool thing... its like cell service sold in small chunks; only pay for what you use, with an average bill of $35. My girlfriend uses it, but its not for me as I'm a data-heavy user.

I'm still angry @ myself for dropping out of computers a little bit after that time. Went to my career, and just picked linux back up a year ago... thats why I'm so stoked about BBSes being around again. Cheers, its neat remembering about 'back in the day'...

|08Paulie|15420
    |14AmericanPiBBS|04.com|07

---
    þ Synchronet þ >>>American Pi BBS @ AmericanPiBBS.com:23>>>Rockin like its 1993!>>>
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-w8t-this to calcmandan on Wed May 6 20:35:08 2020

By: calcmandan to Nightfox on Wed May 06 2020 07:06 am

It was sure better than the $15/month that AOL was charging for 10 hours. I may be off on the numbers.

I never had my own AOL account, but I had used AOL at other peoples' houses sometimes. But I never really liked having a limited number of hours per month to use the service. I remember AOL increasing their monthly usage time, but I think they did have 10 hours once, which seems very little these days now that everyone is connected to the internet all the time. Now, I could potentially be doing something on the internet 10 hours in a single day. :P It's funny to now to remember the internet was typically used as a service we'd temporarily connect to for a little while and then disconnect.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-w8t-this to Paulie420 on Wed May 6 20:39:46 2020

By: Paulie420 to Nightfox on Wed May 06 2020 08:11 am

LOL, I'm 40, and we had a very similair path to internet. I also used TOCOWS back then; and FTP... I remember using a UNIX prompt to get around at first, and went over to my girlfriends house where her father showed me Trumpter Winsock... in the last post I confused that for TCP/IP. Yup... the rest is history, huh!!

You're the same age as me. :P I remember when ISPs often provided a UNIX shell account. I never really knew all the reasons why you'd need one, but one thing I used to do to help speed up my FTP downloads was to first log into my ISP shell account and download the file there using wget or something (which would transfer very fast) and then download it from my ISP account via FTP, which would download basically as fast as possible for me. Sometimes I noticed that downloading from FTP sites was slow even for dialup, and downloading it to my ISP space first helped a bit sometimes.

BTW, today TUCOWS is still around... they also created TING cell phone

Yep.. That's why I had mentioned they seemed to change the W from Winsock to Windows, so now it's The Ultimate Collection Of Windows Software.

I'm still angry @ myself for dropping out of computers a little bit after that time. Went to my career, and just picked linux back up a year ago... thats why I'm so stoked about BBSes being around again. Cheers, its neat remembering about 'back in the day'...

:) I've always been into computers, and my career is computer-related.

Nightfox

---
  • From HusTler@hustler@HAVENS.remove-iwo-this to Nightfox on Wed May 6 22:55:16 2020

By: Nightfox to Paulie420 on Tue May 05 2020 10:59 pm

Around that time, the web site TUCOWS came around - It stood for The Ultimate
    Collection Of Winsock Software. Now I believe they've changed the W to stnad for "Windows".

Tucows. I worked for the ISP that hosted there Web server. That server took a pounding. Even in 1996. Wow. :-)

HusTler
    Havens BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-1rv-this to HusTler on Wed May 6 23:44:30 2020

To: HusTler
    By: HusTler to Nightfox on Wed May 06 2020 03:55 pm

Tucows. I worked for the ISP that hosted there Web server. That server took a pounding. Even in 1996. Wow. :-)

I imagine they may have been using Apache?

Nightfox

---
  • From calcmandan@calcmandan@DIGDIST.remove-mkh-this to Nightfox on Thu May 7 08:15:00 2020

It was sure better than the $15/month that AOL was charging for 10 hours. I may be off on the numbers.

I never had my own AOL account, but I had used AOL at other peoples' houses sometimes. But I never really liked having a limited number of hours per month to use the service. I remember AOL increasing their monthly usage time, but I think they did have 10 hours once, which
    seems very little these days now that everyone is connected to the internet all the time. Now, I could potentially be doing something on
    the internet 10 hours in a single day. :P It's funny to now to
    remember the internet was typically used as a service we'd temporarily connect to for a little while and then disconnect.

Yeah during dialup days. I was living at home and my mom would pick up the phone and disconnect me.

I'd have to check my emails late at night.

• From alterego@alterego@ALTERANT.remove-fi9-this to Nightfox on Thu May 7 18:53:36 2020

By: Nightfox to Paulie420 on Wed May 06 2020 01:39 pm

You're the same age as me. :P I remember when ISPs often provided a UNIX shell account. I never really knew all the reasons why you'd need one,

I used to be an ISP that provided access this way.

Back then, under the covers the shell account provided you an IP connection using SLIRP - so you had a choice.

You could go shell account with a text interface (ie: ftp, lynx, irc, mail, etc), or you could run those GIU apps on your PC via an IP connection using SLIRP.

Then I discovered PPP and POP... ;)
    ...ëîå*

... Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
  • From Paulie420@paulie420@PAULIE42.remove-3rs-this to Nightfox on Thu May 7 02:56:14 2020

By: Nightfox to Paulie420 on Wed May 06 2020 01:39 pm

:) I've always been into computers, and my career is computer-related. Nightfox

Lol; I was on the path and had I staed the course I sure would have a lot less questions as of late. HA!

I know just enough for me to be a pain in the ass with my ignorance of OS knowledge... oh well, at least I'm still here... pushing buttons... trying. Regardless, it makes me smile so... I'll stick around until the boys get too pissy with me. :P

|08Paulie|15420
    |14AmericanPiBBS|04.com|07

---
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-osn-this to Nightfox on Fri May 8 00:56:00 2020

On 05-06-20 13:35, Nightfox wrote to calcmandan <=-

I never had my own AOL account, but I had used AOL at other peoples' houses sometimes. But I never really liked having a limited number of hours per month to use the service. I remember AOL increasing their monthly usage time, but I think they did have 10 hours once, which
    seems very little these days now that everyone is connected to the internet all the time. Now, I could potentially be doing something on
    the internet 10 hours in a single day. :P It's funny to now to
    remember the internet was typically used as a service we'd temporarily connect to for a little while and then disconnect.

That seems a totally foreign world now. I was lucky, I effectively had unlimited Internet through a system that a friend and I put together. The only limitation was the single phone line, meaning that I couldn't stay on all day, especially since mobile phones were rare and expensive back then - they were only a high end business tool then. But the flip side was come dinner time, I'd turn on the Internet connection and solve the telemarketing call problem.
    D

... I don't have time to wait for instant gratification.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-osn-this to calcmandan on Fri May 8 01:08:00 2020

On 05-07-20 01:15, calcmandan wrote to Nightfox <=-

Yeah during dialup days. I was living at home and my mom would pick up
    the phone and disconnect me.

Haha, I left home before starting BBSing. I culdn't afford a modem until I started working, and any BBS calls would have been long distance calls. When I left home and moved to Melbourne, BBSing became practical, and it didn't take long to get hooked! :)

Haha. I used to try and tie up the phone from dinner time, so the telemarketers couldn't get through. ;)

... Deja Tue: A feeling that yesterday was Monday ...
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-osn-this to calcmandan on Fri May 8 00:36:00 2020

On 05-06-20 07:06, calcmandan wrote to Nightfox <=-

Now that takes me back! Trumpet winsock, OMG. Yeah.

Something I hardly touched, because my Internet access was done via a Linux box acting as a router. As a result, I was more familiar with Windows for Workgroups' LAN configuration.

... "I'm sarcastic, what's your superpower?"
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-osn-this to Paulie420 on Fri May 8 00:51:00 2020

On 05-06-20 08:11, Paulie420 wrote to Nightfox <=-

I remember Tucows in the early days. :)

Nightfox

LOL, I'm 40, and we had a very similair path to internet. I also used TOCOWS back then; and FTP... I remember using a UNIX prompt to get
    around at first, and went over to my girlfriends house where her father showed me Trumpter Winsock... in the last post I confused that for
    TCP/IP. Yup... the rest is history, huh!!

Youngster. :P I'm 52 next week. ;) My first Internet account was a Unix shell account, which was quite handy in its time. I switched to PPP, using a Linux based router (in 1995-1996!), and avoided needing Trumpet Winsock. I used Windows for Workgroups, OS/2 or Windows NT, depending on what OS I had booted. :)

BTW, today TUCOWS is still around... they also created TING cell phone service, which is kind of a cool thing... its like cell service sold in small chunks; only pay for what you use, with an average bill of $35.
    My girlfriend uses it, but its not for me as I'm a data-heavy user.

I last used Tucows a couple of years ago, I think.

I'm still angry @ myself for dropping out of computers a little bit
    after that time. Went to my career, and just picked linux back up a
    year ago... thats why I'm so stoked about BBSes being around again. Cheers, its neat remembering about 'back in the day'...

I kept the computer interest up - BBSs were one reason I kept interested after I discovered coding wasn't going to be good for my mental health, a few years prior. BBSing would bring me back to computers (in the intervening years, it was all ham radio, which I still do).

... The poor man. He's completely unspoiled by failure.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-osn-this to Nightfox on Fri May 8 01:03:00 2020

On 05-06-20 13:39, Nightfox wrote to Paulie420 <=-

You're the same age as me. :P I remember when ISPs often provided a

Another kid! :D

UNIX shell account. I never really knew all the reasons why you'd need one, but one thing I used to do to help speed up my FTP downloads was

My first account was a shell account that you had to dial into using a standard terminal emulator, so FTPing a file was a 2 step process - FTP from the site using wget, lynx, ftp or whatever client, then transfer it across the modem link using sz, which of course would start a Zmodem download.

But later, when I had PPP, I did discover that trick of using the ISP's connection to download the file first, before doing the last leg with a FTP from one's shell account.

to first log into my ISP shell account and download the file there
    using wget or something (which would transfer very fast) and then
    download it from my ISP account via FTP, which would download basically
    as fast as possible for me. Sometimes I noticed that downloading from
    FTP sites was slow even for dialup, and downloading it to my ISP space first helped a bit sometimes.

That works, because of the faster response to packet loss over the long links, while the FTP from the shell account rarely has packet loss, because there's no routers to drop packets because of congestion.

:) I've always been into computers, and my career is computer-related.

I worked in IT for 15-20 years, but have been out of it for almost 10 years now. Computers remain a hobby to this day.

... "Engineering is easy, it's reading Klingon that's hard" Scotty
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-osn-this to Paulie420 on Fri May 8 01:12:00 2020

On 05-06-20 19:56, Paulie420 wrote to Nightfox <=-

I know just enough for me to be a pain in the ass with my ignorance of
    OS knowledge... oh well, at least I'm still here... pushing buttons... trying. Regardless, it makes me smile so... I'll stick around until the boys get too pissy with me. :P

It's never too late to learn (until they throw you into that wooden box ;) ).

I still like learning new things, beyond what I've already done, though these days, that's more likely to a a physical skill (again it's never too late). ;)

... Your tagline hunting license has expired. Fine: 2 packets.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Dennisk@dennisk@3:633/416.remove-nit-this to Tony Langdon on Fri May 8 05:40:00 2020

To: Tony Langdon
    Tony Langdon wrote to calcmandan <=-

Haha, I left home before starting BBSing. I culdn't afford a modem
    until I started working, and any BBS calls would have been long
    distance calls. When I left home and moved to Melbourne, BBSing became practical, and it didn't take long to get hooked! :)

Another Melbournite here. Do you remember which BBS's you used to hang out on?
    I remember calling Paranoimia, Neptune 2, The Daily Planet, Altered Reality, Mozy Swamp, Tardis BBS among others. (I still have my telix dialing directory).

Haha. I used to try and tie up the phone from dinner time, so the telemarketers couldn't get through. ;)

... Deja Tue: A feeling that yesterday was Monday ...
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au
    (3:633/410)

... Dennis Katsonis
    * Origin: Mind's Eye BBS - mindseye.ddns.net - Australia (3:633/416)
  • From calcmandan@calcmandan@DIGDIST.remove-it8-this to Tony Langdon on Thu May 7 23:24:00 2020

Tony Langdon wrote to calcmandan <=-

Haha, I left home before starting BBSing. I culdn't afford a modem
    until I started working, and any BBS calls would have been long
    distance calls. When I left home and moved to Melbourne, BBSing became practical, and it didn't take long to get hooked! :)

I came home after the Navy to attend college. Rent free baby.

Smart

Daniel Traechin

• From HusTler@hustler@HAVENS.remove-jn1-this to calcmandan on Fri May 8 05:36:32 2020

By: calcmandan to Nightfox on Thu May 07 2020 01:15 am

Yeah during dialup days. I was living at home and my mom would pick up the phone and disconnect me.

Oh man. It was the "War of the Roses" when my wife picked up the phone in my house. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and had a second line installed. I had decided to start a BBS so it worked out well. We divorced 3 years later. She couldn't compete with the BBS and all my BBS buddies. ;-)

HusTler
    Havens BBS

---
  • From HusTler@hustler@HAVENS.remove-jn1-this to alterego on Fri May 8 05:38:21 2020

To: alterego
    By: alterego to Nightfox on Thu May 07 2020 11:53 am

Back then, under the covers the shell account provided you an IP connection using SLIRP - so you had a choice.

SLIRP?? You mean SLIP right?

HusTler
    Havens BBS

---
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-9yd-this to calcmandan on Fri May 8 19:48:00 2020

On 05-07-20 16:24, calcmandan wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

I came home after the Navy to attend college. Rent free baby.

Lucky you. :)

Smart

Worked for me. ;)

... You never know which side of the bread to butter until you drop it.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-9yd-this to Dennisk on Fri May 8 19:44:00 2020

To: Dennisk
    On 05-07-20 22:40, Dennisk wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

Another Melbournite here. Do you remember which BBS's you used to hang out on?
    I remember calling Paranoimia, Neptune 2, The Daily Planet, Altered Reality, Mozy Swamp, Tardis BBS among others. (I still have my telix dialing directory).

Hmm, none of those. :) Once I started a BBS, I mainly hung out on my own - The Bridge - I did hand it to a friend after about 18 months, and he ran it (with my assitance) for several years.

... I am a Klingon, sir. I do NOT whistle while I work!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From alterego@alterego@ALTERANT.remove-mt3-this to HusTler on Sat May 9 00:29:50 2020

By: HusTler to alterego on Thu May 07 2020 10:38 pm

Nope, I mean SLIRP...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slirp
    ...ëîå*

... Running a business is about 95% people and 5% economics.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-1jz-this to HusTler on Sat May 9 03:00:00 2020

On 05-07-20 22:38, HusTler wrote to alterego <=-

By: alterego to Nightfox on Thu May 07 2020 11:53 am

SLIRP was a thing - it was a way of accessing an IP connection from a shell account that wasn't setup to do so.

... Borrow a few lines = Plagiarism. Steal *volumes* = Research.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-eq4-this to Dennisk on Sat May 9 16:35:00 2020

On 05-03-20 12:06, Dennisk wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

Don't remember The Bridge. I looked at a list of BBSs in Victoria in 1993, and there were heaps, more than I thought there were. Now there

Yes, it was online from 1992 to at least 1998, so it should be in that list. Any chance of getting a copy?

are more BBS's in Australia than there are BBS users. One forgotten

True. :)

aspect of dial up modems, was you could
    directly connect to a friend with terminal programs, chat, and send
    each other files directly.

Yes. Didn't often do it, but occasionally it was handy for small files. Anything larger than 1MB was better handled by sneakernet in most cases. :)

... My computer has EMS... Won't you help?
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From HusTler@hustler@HAVENS.remove-eq4-this to alterego on Sat May 9 05:20:26 2020

To: alterego
    By: alterego to HusTler on Fri May 08 2020 05:29 pm

Nope, I mean SLIRP...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slirp
    ...ëîå*

Wow. I would have found that useful had I known about it.

HusTler
    Havens.synchro.net

---
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-129k-this to HusTler on Sun May 10 00:37:00 2020

On 05-08-20 22:20, HusTler wrote to alterego <=-

My ISP was too quick to ban it. :(

... Dyslexic State Trooper spends all night handing out IUD's.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Dennisk@dennisk@MINDSEYE.remove-129k-this to Tony Langdon on Sat May 9 20:54:00 2020

Tony Langdon wrote to Dennisk <=-

On 05-03-20 12:06, Dennisk wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

Don't remember The Bridge. I looked at a list of BBSs in Victoria in 1993, and there were heaps, more than I thought there were. Now there

Yes, it was online from 1992 to at least 1998, so it should be in that list. Any chance of getting a copy?

You can get it here
    http://tlp.zapto.org/links/BBSFVIC.TXT

aspect of dial up modems, was you could
    directly connect to a friend with terminal programs, chat, and send
    each other files directly.

Yes. Didn't often do it, but occasionally it was handy for small
    files. Anything larger than 1MB was better handled by sneakernet in
    most cases. :)

Or "Mum-driven-car-to-friends-place-net". I only had one or two friends who had a modem which I could do with this, and having a 2400 BPS modem myself, too slow for games. I think he just liked to use Telix to chat. You could enter a sequence of commands and make the COM port your terminal, thereby giving the other person a telnet like connection to your DOS.

... My computer has EMS... Won't you help?
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au
    (3:633/410)
    = Synchronet = Vertrauen = Home of Synchronet = [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

... Dennis Katsonis
    þ Synchronet þ Mind's Eye - mindseye.ddns.net - Melbourne Australia
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-2t9-this to Dennisk on Sun May 10 03:06:00 2020

On 05-09-20 13:54, Dennisk wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

You can get it here
    http://tlp.zapto.org/links/BBSFVIC.TXT

Thanks. :)

Or "Mum-driven-car-to-friends-place-net". I only had one or two

That's just the low latency upgrade. :D I never had that one, as I had left home, but I had the DriveNet instead. :D

friends who had a modem which I could do with this, and having a 2400
    BPS modem myself, too slow for games. I think he just liked to use
    Telix to chat. You could enter a sequence of commands and make the COM port your terminal, thereby giving the other person a telnet like connection to your DOS.

Those were the days. :)

... MS-DOS=suit & tie, Macintosh=cool shades, Amiga=high heels & leather
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From HusTler@hustler@HAVENS.remove-45s-this to Tony Langdon on Sat May 9 20:10:49 2020

By: Tony Langdon to HusTler on Sat May 09 2020 05:37 pm

I was thinking the same thing. My very first internet provider was a local BBS. You would dial into the BBS. Drop to a shell and then type PPP. My next provider I used had dialer with SLIP. That was $9.99 a month for 20 hours. I'm wondering what the price would have been with SLIRP? Would an ISP even offer it? I guess I'll never know. Can't go back to 1990 unless I run into Marty Mcfly. :-)

HusTler
    Havens.synchro.net

... Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.

---
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-ufk-this to HusTler on Sun May 10 19:27:00 2020

On 05-09-20 13:10, HusTler wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

I was thinking the same thing. My very first internet provider was a local BBS. You would dial into the BBS. Drop to a shell and then type

My ISP at the time started offering PPP at the time, but it was a lot more expensive than shell access.

PPP. My next provider I used had dialer with SLIP. That was $9.99 a
    month for 20 hours. I'm wondering what the price would have been with SLIRP? Would an ISP even offer it? I guess I'll never know. Can't go
    back to 1990 unless I run into Marty Mcfly. :-)

Haha got a Delorian parked in the garage? ;)

... "Time for some thrilling heroics."
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux