• New Prerequisites

From Dumas Walker@dumas.walker@CAPCITY2.remove-elk-this to Digital Man on Wed May 13 18:43:06 2020
    From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

To: Digital Man
    Good morning,
    I have identified a couple of packages which are prerequisites for compiling synchronet on linux that you might want to add to the list:

sudo
    libcap2-bin

I recently added a new VM install for testing purposes and, upon attempting to compile sbbs I received errors regarding these two packages being missing. I sure would have assumed that sudo would be included in even a very base install of any distribution but I guess not! :)
    #

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
    * Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From echicken@echicken@ECBBS.remove-z9d-this to Dumas Walker on Wed May 13 20:10:37 2020

To: Dumas Walker
    Re: New Prerequisites
    By: Dumas Walker to Digital Man on Wed May 13 2020 11:43:06

I have identified a couple of packages which are prerequisites for compiling
    synchronet on linux that you might want to add to the list:

sudo

I guess that's ... technically a package. Are there distros out there that don't just have this present on a normal install?

libcap2-bin

That appears to already be in the 'Recommended' section of the prerequisites page. Presumably you need it when building sbbs with the 'setcap' flag, which is optional.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-40j-this to Dumas Walker on Wed May 13 17:16:14 2020

By: Dumas Walker to Digital Man on Wed May 13 2020 11:43 am

Good morning,
    I have identified a couple of packages which are prerequisites for compiling synchronet on linux that you might want to add to the list:

sudo
    libcap2-bin

Thanks, but neither of those should be required for compiling synchronet on linux.

recently added a new VM install for testing purposes and, upon attempting
    to compile sbbs I received errors regarding these two packages being missing. I sure would have assumed that sudo would be included in even a very base install of any distribution but I guess not! :)

sudo is included in the instructions for *running* Synchronet or installing packages, but you can (and I have) built sbbs without it.

the libcap stuff should be optional as well.

digital man

Sling Blade quote #15:
    Doyle Hargraves: What'cha doin' with that lawn mower blade Karl?
    Norco, CA WX: 63.7øF, 63.0% humidity, 0 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
  • From alterego@alterego@ALTERANT.remove-6ee-this to Digital Man on Thu May 14 17:08:59 2020

To: Digital Man
    By: Digital Man to Dumas Walker on Wed May 13 2020 10:16 am

Hey DM,

sudo
    libcap2-bin
    Thanks, but neither of those should be required for compiling synchronet on linux.

I did a new build yesterday that failed because I didnt have sudo installed.

Linking gcc.linux.x64.exe.release/umonitor
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/opt/sbbs/src/sbbs3/umonitor'
    sudo setcap 'cap_net_bind_service=+ep' gcc.linux.x64.exe.release/sbbs
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/opt/sbbs/src/sbbs3'

Is there something I need to trigger to stop the sudo setcap?

I build (with a clean source) using:
    make RELEASE=1 USE_DOSEMU=1 NO_X=1 JSINCLUDE=/usr/include/js JSLIB=mozjs185 SBBSDIR=/opt/sbbs install
    ...ëîå*

... Cross-country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-v53-this to alterego on Thu May 14 03:01:31 2020

To: alterego
    By: alterego to Digital Man on Thu May 14 2020 10:08 am

By: Digital Man to Dumas Walker on Wed May 13 2020 10:16 am

Hey DM,

sudo
    libcap2-bin

I did a new build yesterday that failed because I didnt have sudo installed.

Linking gcc.linux.x64.exe.release/umonitor
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/opt/sbbs/src/sbbs3/umonitor'
    sudo setcap 'cap_net_bind_service=+ep' gcc.linux.x64.exe.release/sbbs make[1]: Leaving directory '/opt/sbbs/src/sbbs3'

Is there something I need to trigger to stop the sudo setcap?

Don't include the "setcap" target on the build command-line then.

I build (with a clean source) using:
    make RELEASE=1 USE_DOSEMU=1 NO_X=1 JSINCLUDE=/usr/include/js JSLIB=mozjs185 SBBSDIR=/opt/sbbs install

Ah... you're re-running the install/GNUmakefile. And that file automatically adds "setcap" if you're on Linux. I'll give that some thought. I guess for now, just install sudo and the cap stuff. :-)

digital man

Sling Blade quote #13:
    Karl: He lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in. Norco, CA WX: 63.0øF, 67.0% humidity, 5 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-v53-this to echicken on Thu May 14 19:00:00 2020

To: echicken
    On 05-13-20 13:10, echicken wrote to Dumas Walker <=-

libcap2-bin

That appears to already be in the 'Recommended' section of the prerequisites page. Presumably you need it when building sbbs with the 'setcap' flag, which is optional.

It is listed, I saw it when I installed a test system last week.

... Oh - ah, I'm going to blow it up.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From Dumas Walker@dumas.walker@CAPCITY2.remove-2tu-this to DIGITAL MAN on Fri May 15 00:35:00 2020

To: DIGITAL MAN
    sudo
    libcap2-bin
    Thanks, but neither of those should be required for compiling synchronet on li
    x.

Well, they are. :)

Ever since I pulled my first copy of 3.18 from cvs, all compiles have asked
    for the sudo password about 2/3rds through the process. Without sudo it will stop with an error before it can ask. Without libcap2-bin, it will stop right after you enter the password.

That happens with the following make command line:

make install SYMLINK=1 USE_DOSEMU=1

I pulled the GNUmakefile for the install in question on May 13th
    (yesterday), but that is not the first time it has happened.

I don't otherwise use setcap with sbbs. There could be something in the
    config files I pulled down with it (fresh install, all stock) that might currently be pointed to use setcap, but I have not been intentionally specifying it anywhere for my compiles.

The two linux OSes in question are Ubuntu Bionic Beaver and Devuan Ascii.

* SLMR 2.1a * My wife made me join a bridge club...I jump next week.

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From Dumas Walker@dumas.walker@CAPCITY2.remove-2tu-this to ECHICKEN on Fri May 15 00:23:00 2020

To: ECHICKEN
    sudo

I guess that's ... technically a package. Are there distros out there that don
    just have this present on a normal install?

I though it would have been, but it was not there when the compile went
    looking for it.

libcap2-bin

That appears to already be in the 'Recommended' section of the prerequisites p
    e. Presumably you need it when building sbbs with the 'setcap' flag, which is tional.

It was not last I looked, although libcap2-dev was. You likely need both.
    FYI, the latest few compiles I have done require both sudo and libcap2-bin, even when I don't specify setcap flag. At some point about 2/3rds of the
    way through or so, the process pauses for you to enter your password. If
    you don't have sudo, it will stop before asking for the password. If you
    have sudo, it will bomb versy soon after you enter the password,
    complaining that setcap is not there.

I had installed the -dev package already, but needed to install -bin to get
    the setcap binary it wanted. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * */ --Tribble with a lightsaber

---
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-gqp-this to Dumas Walker on Fri May 15 01:09:40 2020

By: Dumas Walker to DIGITAL MAN on Thu May 14 2020 05:35 pm

sudo
    libcap2-bin
    Thanks, but neither of those should be required for compiling synchronet on li
    x.

Well, they are. :)

Technically, no. They're just required for the install/GNUmakefile, which is just one of the ways to initiate an get/sbbs build. sudo is only required because of the setcap call and automatic use of setcap solves a number of frequently-asked-questions on Linux.

Ever since I pulled my first copy of 3.18 from cvs, all compiles have asked for the sudo password about 2/3rds through the process. Without sudo it will stop with an error before it can ask. Without libcap2-bin, it will stop right after you enter the password.

That happens with the following make command line:

make install SYMLINK=1 USE_DOSEMU=1

I pulled the GNUmakefile for the install in question on May 13th (yesterday), but that is not the first time it has happened.

I understand. But you don't *have* to use the install/GNUmakefile to get/build sbbs. In fact, there are instructions for doing just that here:
    http://wiki.synchro.net/install:nix#non-cvs

I don't otherwise use setcap with sbbs. There could be something in the config files I pulled down with it (fresh install, all stock) that might currently be pointed to use setcap, but I have not been intentionally specifying it anywhere for my compiles.

The two linux OSes in question are Ubuntu Bionic Beaver and Devuan Ascii.

Cool. Just install sudo and setcap first.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #18:
    Sustain, listen to it. Don't hear anything. You would though were it playing. Norco, CA WX: 70.9øF, 55.0% humidity, 5 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From Dumas Walker@dumas.walker@CAPCITY2.remove-915-this to DIGITAL MAN on Fri May 15 18:44:00 2020

To: DIGITAL MAN
    I understand. But you don't *have* to use the install/GNUmakefile to get/build >bbs. In fact, there are instructions for doing just that here: >http://wiki.synchro.net/install:nix#non-cvs

But isn't the cvs method the preferred method of installation? :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Florida: when we say, "DUCK!", we don't mean Donald.

---
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-iwx-this to Dumas Walker on Sat May 16 02:27:33 2020

By: Dumas Walker to DIGITAL MAN on Fri May 15 2020 11:44 am

I understand. But you don't *have* to use the install/GNUmakefile to get/build >bbs. In fact, there are instructions for doing just that here: >http://wiki.synchro.net/install:nix#non-cvs

But isn't the cvs method the preferred method of installation? :)

It's the most common.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #52:
    Answers to Frequently Asked Questions: http://wiki.synchro.net/faq:index
    Norco, CA WX: 70.0øF, 61.0% humidity, 12 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113