• Locked down BBS?

From Dennisk@dennisk@3:633/416.remove-h0c-this to All on Fri May 15 17:00:00 2020
    From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

I just want to know how easy is it, or if it is possible, to configure Synchronet in such a way that it is effectively a private meeting space.

My vision is this, a BBS style system, which is accessibly by SSH only, which is invite only. You cannot just log in and create a new account, there must be one created for you by a Sysop. A personal online meeting space, which isn't owned or hosted by some third party like Facebook. Obviously, being text based, its limited, but there are advantages, which is ease of setup and no barrier to entry and DOORs. Also, I don't want it on the web, or indexed by Google. There isn't a need or desire for that because its just for the people who are involved in it.

At the moments, groups use a heterogenous approach, they might have an email list, a website, a FB group (open and/or closed), chat by FB messenger or whatever but a BBS style system could serve multiple needs in one space.

Can Synchronet be secured in this manner easily and reliably? I could just block all other open ports except SSH, but this seems unsatisfactory.

... Dennis Katsonis
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    * Origin: Mind's Eye BBS - mindseye.ddns.net - Australia (3:633/416)
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
    * Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-gqp-this to Dennisk on Fri May 15 01:10:29 2020

To: Dennisk
    Re: Locked down BBS?
    By: Dennisk to All on Fri May 15 2020 10:00 am

Can Synchronet be secured in this manner easily and reliably? I could just block all other open ports except SSH, but this seems unsatisfactory.

Yes.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #21:
    So when you're playing you feel like a preserved moose on stage?
    Norco, CA WX: 70.9øF, 55.0% humidity, 5 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-hcj-this to Dennisk on Fri May 15 19:32:00 2020

On 05-15-20 10:00, Dennisk wrote to All <=-

Can Synchronet be secured in this manner easily and reliably? I could just block all other open ports except SSH, but this seems
    unsatisfactory.

You can shut down the services you don't want ans also disable the gues user and prevent new user signups. I tested the latter on a test system and wasn't even able to create the sysop account on a new installation. :)

... We have just enough religion to hate, but not enough to love - J. Swift
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From calcmandan@calcmandan@DIGDIST.remove-mso-this to Tony Langdon on Fri May 15 13:00:00 2020

To: Tony Langdon
    Tony Langdon wrote to Dennisk <=-

On 05-15-20 10:00, Dennisk wrote to All <=-

Can Synchronet be secured in this manner easily and reliably? I could just block all other open ports except SSH, but this seems
    unsatisfactory.

You can shut down the services you don't want ans also disable the gues user and prevent new user signups. I tested the latter on a test
    system and wasn't even able to create the sysop account on a new installation. :)

Now that's what you talk about locked down. So private that not even the sysop can join without an invite.

haha

... We have just enough religion to hate, but not enough to love - J. Swift === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au
    (3:633/410)
    = Synchronet = Vertrauen = Home of Synchronet = [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

... Visit me at gopher://gcpp.world
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Dennisk@dennisk@MINDSEYE.remove-11uh-this to Digital Man on Fri May 15 20:04:00 2020

To: Digital Man
    Digital Man wrote to Dennisk <=-

Yes.

digital man

Thank you. The Mystic documentation made it clear that you could have that kind of set up. I was just wondering about Synchronet, before I invest time in setting it up.

... Dennis Katsonis
    þ Synchronet þ Mind's Eye - mindseye.ddns.net - Melbourne Australia
  • From Tony Langdon@tony.langdon@3:633/410.remove-100k-this to calcmandan on Sat May 16 01:50:00 2020

To: calcmandan
    On 05-15-20 06:00, calcmandan wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

You can shut down the services you don't want ans also disable the gues user and prevent new user signups. I tested the latter on a test
    system and wasn't even able to create the sysop account on a new installation. :)

Now that's what you talk about locked down. So private that not even
    the sysop can join without an invite.

Yeah, I was experimenting, as I am looking at creating a closed BBS for a local radio club. Call that a success. :)

... Error reading FAT Table...Try Skinny one ? (Y/N)
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From DaiTengu@daitengu@ENSEMBLE.remove-nv4-this to Dennisk on Fri May 15 18:21:17 2020

I just want to know how easy is it, or if it is possible, to configure Synchronet in such a way that it is effectively a private meeting space.

My vision is this, a BBS style system, which is accessibly by SSH only, which is invite only. You cannot just log in and create a new account, there must be one created for you by a Sysop. A personal online meeting space, which isn't owned or hosted by some third party like Facebook. Obviously, being text based, its limited, but there are advantages, which is ease of setup and no barrier to entry and DOORs. Also, I don't want it on the web, or indexed by Google. There isn't a need or desire for that because its just for the people who are involved in it.

It should be pretty simple. you can disable services you don't want running in the config, disallow new users, or, alternatively, require new users to know a password in order to create an account.

DaiTengu

... Do something unusual today. Pay a bill.

---
    þ Synchronet þ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From Dennisk@dennisk@MINDSEYE.remove-ef3-this to DaiTengu on Sun May 17 03:19:00 2020

To: DaiTengu
    DaiTengu wrote to Dennisk <=-

It should be pretty simple. you can disable services you don't want running in the config, disallow new users, or, alternatively, require
    new users to know a password in order to create an account.

DaiTengu

Got it set up and running. With Mystic, disabling services seems more explicit, but blocking the ports ought to do it for any server.

... Dennis Katsonis
    þ Synchronet þ Mind's Eye - mindseye.ddns.net - Melbourne Australia