• SBBSECHO runs but never quits

From Diamond Dave@diamond.dave@DMINE.remove-a0s-this to All on Sat Jun 6 03:49:48 2020
    From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

Here's an interesting observation that I saw when I moved my existing BBS from a Windows 7 VM to a Windows 10 VM (build 2004, 32-bit)

When SBBSECHO is invoked by FIDOIN as an external event, it runs, unzips and tosses mail, but never exits. It just sits in the taskbar. And the next time it runs, the next one sits there, and it just continues to pile up over time.

So my question is why is it doing this and how to prevent it from doing so.

The BBS isn't calling it as a .cmd or .bat file, it calls it directly from the FIDOIN external program after BINKPOLL completes a session.

I can post an example if necessary, but it doesn't show any errors. So I'm just wondering what's different now in Win 10 instead of Win 7?

Thanks!

*** Diamond Dave ***

---
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
    * Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Diamond Dave@diamond.dave@DMINE.remove-b7z-this to All on Sat Jun 6 03:54:28 2020

Re: SBBSECHO runs but never quits
    By: Diamond Dave to All on Fri Jun 05 2020 08:49 pm

When I say External event, I meant to say Timed Event. That's what I get from doing it from memory. LOL! :)

*** Diamond Dave ***

Here's an interesting observation that I saw when I moved my existing BBS fr
    om
    a Windows 7 VM to a Windows 10 VM (build 2004, 32-bit)

When SBBSECHO is invoked by FIDOIN as an external event, it runs, unzips and tosses mail, but never exits. It just sits in the taskbar. And the next time
    it
    runs, the next one sits there, and it just continues to pile up over time.

The BBS isn't calling it as a .cmd or .bat file, it calls it directly from t
    he
    FIDOIN external program after BINKPOLL completes a session.

I can post an example if necessary, but it doesn't show any errors. So I'm j
    ust
    wondering what's different now in Win 10 instead of Win 7?

Thanks!

*** Diamond Dave ***

---
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-1029-this to Diamond Dave on Sat Jun 6 01:10:34 2020

To: Diamond Dave

Here's an interesting observation that I saw when I moved my existing BBS from a Windows 7 VM to a Windows 10 VM (build 2004, 32-bit)

When SBBSECHO is invoked by FIDOIN as an external event, it runs, unzips and tosses mail, but never exits. It just sits in the taskbar. And the next time it runs, the next one sits there, and it just continues to pile up over time.

What is your FIDOIN command-line?

Do you have the same problem with FIDOOUT events?

If you run SBBSecho from, say, Start->Run, do you have the same problem?

The BBS isn't calling it as a .cmd or .bat file, it calls it directly from the FIDOIN external program after BINKPOLL completes a session.

I can post an example if necessary, but it doesn't show any errors. So I'm just wondering what's different now in Win 10 instead of Win 7?

Do you have an sbbsecho.pif or sbbsecho.lnk file somewhere on your hard disk (configured to not close on exit) maybe?

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #66:
    SEXYZ = Synchronet External X/Y/ZMODEM file transfer protocol driver
    Norco, CA WX: 64.7øF, 75.0% humidity, 8 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From Diamond Dave@diamond.dave@DMINE.remove-bs0-this to Digital Man on Sat Jun 6 13:08:35 2020

To: Digital Man

Here are the command lines from the Fixed Events

BINKPOLL - ?binkit -p
    BINKOUT - ?binkit -p
    FIDOIN - %!sbbsecho%. -ce
    FIDOOUT - %!sbbsecho%. -ni

Not that I'm aware of.

It runs and then goes away as it should.

Do you have an sbbsecho.pif or sbbsecho.lnk file somewhere on your hard disk (configured to not close on exit) maybe?

I checked, does not appear to be any.

*** Diamond Dave ***

---
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-11mf-this to Diamond Dave on Sat Jun 6 19:03:58 2020

To: Diamond Dave
    Re: Re: SBBSECHO runs but never quits
    By: Diamond Dave to Digital Man on Sat Jun 06 2020 06:08 am

Here are the command lines from the Fixed Events

BINKPOLL - ?binkit -p
    BINKOUT - ?binkit -p
    FIDOIN - %!sbbsecho%. -ce
    FIDOOUT - %!sbbsecho%. -ni

Not that I'm aware of.

Can you try it and let us know? It would be awful strange if the 2 events didn't behave the same way since it's the same program being invoked.

Also, can you check, when FIDOIN is run and complete, does your Windows' task manager actually show sbbsecho.exe still running or is just the console window is still visible, but the program is actually no longer running?

It runs and then goes away as it should.

I checked, does not appear to be any.

Maybe try changing the command-line slightly: remove the %. or just remove the "-ce" options (it'll just import *and* export in that case). It sounds to me like Windows has decided that you don't want that window to close when the program has finished running.

digital man

Sling Blade quote #17:
    Charles Bushman: A shovel just makes too goddamned much racket.
    Norco, CA WX: 65.0øF, 76.0% humidity, 11 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs