• Slyedit

From HusTler@hustler@HAVENS.remove-wc-this to All on Sun Oct 11 14:55:28 2020
    From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

This is not a Synchronet Question but a question about Slyedit for Synchronet. For those of you who use Slyedit do you get "Message has been saved" on the top that stays there until you quit the editor? Is there a fix for that? It does it on all the terminal software I use. Seems like a clear screen needs to happen but I wouldn't know where to put it. ;-)

HusTler
    |13 Havens BBS
    |12 (havens.synchro.net:23)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
    --- Synchronet 3.18c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
    * Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net
    --- Synchronet 3.19c-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From deon@deon@ALTERANT.remove-11yo-this to Nightfox on Thu Jan 21 12:54:56 2021

To: Nightfox
    Howdy,

A while ago, I mentioned to you that I often hit a "SlyEdit: Input timeout reached." (and logging in as Sysop I didnt expect to be hit with any timeouts).

Lately, I've hit it a few times, which is particuarly annoying when I'm half way thorough a large messages.

I've noticed its very much random in its timing. Sometimes it would happen within seconds of composing a messages, othertimes I could leave Slyedit running for hours and it would happen. So I thought it might be a key sequence that I'm hitting.

Sure enough, I've noticed that whenever I hit CTRL-Space (I'm on a MAC - and sometimes I hit that by mistake), Slyedit aborts with "Input timeout reached".

I dont always use Syncterm - often iTerm (a MAC telnet client), and I dont think it happens in Syncterm.

So just wondering if there is a keyboard input sequence that you are not trapping that results in going to "Input timeout reached" and aborts the editor. I can pretty much do it everytime now.

...ëîåï

... Be an individualist. He who follows another is always behind.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
  • From Mortifis@mortifis@EPHRAM.remove-n75-this to deon on Thu Jan 21 00:35:17 2021

To: deon
    Howdy,

A while ago, I mentioned to you that I often hit a "SlyEdit: Input timeout reached." (and logging in as Sysop I didnt expect to be hit with any timeouts).

Lately, I've hit it a few times, which is particuarly annoying when I'm half way thorough a large messages.

I've noticed its very much random in its timing. Sometimes it would happen within seconds of composing a messages, othertimes I could leave Slyedit running for hours and it would happen. So I thought it might be a key sequence that I'm hitting.

Sure enough, I've noticed that whenever I hit CTRL-Space (I'm on a MAC - and sometimes I hit that by mistake), Slyedit aborts with "Input timeout reached".

I dont always use Syncterm - often iTerm (a MAC telnet client), and I dont think it happens in Syncterm.

So just wondering if there is a keyboard input sequence that you are not trapping that results in going to "Input timeout reached" and aborts the editor. I can pretty much do it everytime now.

...ëîåï

... if that happens in iTerm and not Syncterm (did you test other terminal clients?) perhaps it is a key binding in iTerm that SlyEdit might be expecting as an upload attachment type thingy?

~Ephram

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Realm of Dispair telnet ephram.synchro.net 2323 ssh 2222 web 82
  • From deon@deon@ALTERANT.remove-xur-this to Mortifis on Thu Jan 21 21:46:20 2021

To: Mortifis
    Re: Re: Slyedit
    By: Mortifis to deon on Thu Jan 21 2021 12:35 am

... if that happens in iTerm and not Syncterm (did you test other terminal clients?) perhaps it is a key binding in iTerm
    that SlyEdit might be expecting as an upload attachment type thingy?

Hmm.. it could well be - although I thought message upload was anything CTRL char (maybe it is CTRL-space? and hence why it aborts since iterm cannot upload).

...ëîåï

... If you've seen one REDWOOD tree, you've seen 'em all.

---
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-cb0-this to deon on Thu Jan 21 08:35:15 2021

Re: Slyedit
    By: deon to Nightfox on Thu Jan 21 2021 12:54 pm

I don't know if there are any special key sequences SlyEdit isn't trapping.. I also don't have any Apple devices to test with. I suppose I could try to find some special key sequences and try to have SlyEdit handle them.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-l3d-this to deon on Thu Jan 21 12:06:13 2021

By: deon to Mortifis on Thu Jan 21 2021 09:46 pm

By: Mortifis to deon on Thu Jan 21 2021 12:35 am

... if that happens in iTerm and not Syncterm (did you test other terminal clients?) perhaps it is a key binding in iTerm
    that SlyEdit might be expecting as an upload attachment type thingy?

Hmm.. it could well be - although I thought message upload was anything CTRL char (maybe it is CTRL-space? and hence why it aborts since iterm cannot upload).

It'd helpful to know the actual character value being sent when you hit Ctrl-Space. If you go into the user terminal settings, where it prompt you to hit backspace/delete, if you hit Ctrl-Space, what character value does it report?
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #76:
    His reserve a quiet defense, riding out the day's events, the river..Tom Sawyer Norco, CA WX: 67.3øF, 44.0% humidity, 5 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
  • From deon@deon@ALTERANT.remove-dk2-this to Digital Man on Fri Jan 22 09:33:45 2021

To: Digital Man
    By: Digital Man to deon on Thu Jan 21 2021 12:06 pm

It'd helpful to know the actual character value being sent when you hit Ctrl-Space. If you go into the user terminal settings, where it prompt you to hit backspace/delete, if you hit Ctrl-Space, what character value does it report?

So it appears to be sending NUL 0x00.

In the terminal settings pressing Ctrl-Space for the "delete" character, yielded nothing.

I got hold of a key scanning tool for the MAC, and it reports this for CTRL Space:

Key Down
    Characters:
    Unicode:0 / 0x0
    Keys:^Space
    Key Code: 49 / 0x31
    Modifiers: 262401 / 0x40101

And for comparison, the delete key shows this.

Key Down
    Characters:
    Unicode:127 / 0x7f
    Keys:(backspace symbol)
    Key Code: 51 / 0x33
    Modifiers: 256 / 0x100

So maybe ignoring a NUL character would be sufficient?

...ëîåï

... Marriage is a great institution - no family should be without it.

---
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-3o7-this to deon on Thu Jan 21 18:05:41 2021

By: deon to Digital Man on Fri Jan 22 2021 09:33 am

By: Digital Man to deon on Thu Jan 21 2021 12:06 pm

So it appears to be sending NUL 0x00.

In the terminal settings pressing Ctrl-Space for the "delete" character, yielded nothing.

I got hold of a key scanning tool for the MAC, and it reports this for CTRL Space:

Key Down
    Characters:
    Unicode:0 / 0x0
    Keys:^Space
    Key Code: 49 / 0x31
    Modifiers: 262401 / 0x40101

And for comparison, the delete key shows this.

Key Down
    Characters:
    Unicode:127 / 0x7f
    Keys:(backspace symbol)
    Key Code: 51 / 0x33
    Modifiers: 256 / 0x100

So maybe ignoring a NUL character would be sufficient?

Currently, in JS, a console.inkey() timeout looks the same as the receipt of a NUL (ASCII 0) from the user.

I just committed a change so that a script can use a new mode flag (K_NUL) to differentiate between the 2 conditions and SlyEdit could make use of that. Or he could just ignore the empty string result of console.inkey().
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #62:
    He's a restless young romantic, wants to run the big machine .. New World Man Norco, CA WX: 60.6øF, 59.0% humidity, 7 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- Synchronet 3.18c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From deon@deon@ALTERANT.remove-gzn-this to Digital Man on Fri Jan 22 14:11:18 2021

By: Digital Man to deon on Thu Jan 21 2021 06:05 pm

Currently, in JS, a console.inkey() timeout looks the same as the receipt of a NUL (ASCII 0) from the user.
    I just committed a change so that a script can use a new mode flag (K_NUL) to differentiate between the 2 conditions and SlyEdit could make use of that. Or he could just ignore the empty string result of console.inkey().

Ahh, OK, great, thanks.

I'll wait for Nightfox to make some changes (or Nightfox if you can tell me which lines to play with, I can have a go and see if this change helps - will save me having to find and learn your code :)

...ëîåï

... If you've seen one city slum, you've seen them all.

---
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-b20-this to deon on Thu Jan 21 21:39:10 2021

By: deon to Digital Man on Fri Jan 22 2021 02:11 pm

By: Digital Man to deon on Thu Jan 21 2021 06:05 pm

Ahh, OK, great, thanks.

I'll wait for Nightfox to make some changes (or Nightfox if you can tell me which lines to play with, I can have a go and see if this change helps - will save me having to find and learn your code :)

These appear to be the relevant lines, in SlyEdit.js:
    // If userInput is blank, then the input timeout was probably
    // reached, so abort.
    else if (userInput == "")
    {
    returnCode = 1; // Aborted
    continueOn = false;
    console.crlf();
    console.print("\1n\1h\1r" + EDITOR_PROGRAM_NAME + ": Input timeout reached.");
    continue;
    }
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #16:
    Karl Childers (to Doyle, re: lawn mower blade): I aim to kill you with it. Mmm. Norco, CA WX: 55.2øF, 70.0% humidity, 0 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
  • From deon@deon@ALTERANT.remove-1rh-this to Digital Man on Fri Jan 22 22:34:42 2021

By: Digital Man to deon on Thu Jan 21 2021 09:39 pm

So I had a play and didnt get anywhere. (SlyEdit uses getkey(), not inkey()).

require("sbbsdefs.js", "K_NOCRLF");

foo = console.getkey(K_NUL);
    writeln('GETKEY (K_NULL): ['+JSON.stringify(foo)+'] ('+foo.charCodeAt(0)+')'); bar = console.getkey(K_NONE);
    writeln('GETKEY (K_NONE): ['+JSON.stringify(bar)+'] ('+bar.charCodeAt(0)+')');

foo = console.inkey(K_NUL,10000);
    writeln('INKEY (K_NULL): ['+JSON.stringify(foo)+'] ('+foo.charCodeAt(0)+')'); bar = console.inkey(K_NONE,10000);
    writeln('INKEY (K_NONE): ['+JSON.stringify(bar)+'] ('+bar.charCodeAt(0)+')'); console.pause();

So I put together this script and ran it with ;exec ?testkey

And got this result:
    GETKEY (K_NULL): ["\u000d"] (13)
    GETKEY (K_NONE): ["\u000d"] (13)
    INKEY (K_NULL): [""] (NaN)
    INKEY (K_NONE): [""] (NaN)

The first 2 times I pressed CTRL-Space and nothing happened, so I pressed enter (hence the 0x0d).

The next two times, I only pressed CTRL-Space and they both yieled the same result.

Have I missed something?

...ëîåï

... The only good government.is a bad one in a hell of a fright.

---
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-lf2-this to deon on Fri Jan 22 11:30:01 2021

By: deon to Digital Man on Fri Jan 22 2021 10:34 pm

SlyEdit uses inkey() in SlyEdit_Misc.js -> getUserKey():
    // Input a key from the user
    userKey = console.inkey(pMode, inputTimeoutMS);

return userKey;
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #22:
    Karl: I don't reckon you have to go with women to be a good father to a boy. Norco, CA WX: 61.6øF, 61.0% humidity, 3 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-33i-this to deon on Fri Jan 22 11:31:24 2021

writeln('GETKEY (K_NULL): ['+JSON.stringify(foo)+'] ('+foo.charCodeAt(0)+')'); bar = console.getkey(K_NONE);

writeln('INKEY (K_NULL): ['+JSON.stringify(foo)+'] ('+foo.charCodeAt(0)+')'); bar = console.inkey(K_NONE,10000);
    writeln('INKEY (K_NONE): ['+JSON.stringify(bar)+'] ('+bar.charCodeAt(0)+')'); console.pause();

And got this result:

The first 2 times I pressed CTRL-Space and nothing happened, so I pressed enter (hence the 0x0d).

The next two times, I only pressed CTRL-Space and they both yieled the same result.

Have I missed something?

The K_NUL optoin won't do anything different with older builds of sbbs. Did you get and build the latest sbbs code from git?
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #26:
    Karl: kaiser blade, ax handle with long blade on it shaped kinda like a banana. Norco, CA WX: 61.6øF, 61.0% humidity, 3 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-y24-this to deon on Fri Jan 22 12:02:58 2021

By: Digital Man to deon on Fri Jan 22 2021 11:31 am

writeln('INKEY (K_NULL): ['+JSON.stringify(foo)+'] ('+foo.charCodeAt(0)+')'); bar = console.inkey(K_NONE,10000); writeln('INKEY (K_NONE): ['+JSON.stringify(bar)+'] ('+bar.charCodeAt(0)+')'); console.pause();

And got this result:

Have I missed something?

The K_NUL optoin won't do anything different with older builds of sbbs. Did you get and build the latest sbbs code from git?

And here's th script I used to test it:
    load("sbbsdefs.js");
    var result = console.inkey(K_NUL, 5000);
    print(typeof result);
    print(result);

I don't have a terminal handy with an obvious method of sending an ASCII NUL (0), but I certainly got different results upon timeout (as expected) when using the new K_NUL mode flag and the new sbbs.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #6:
    Karl: he should've had a chance to grow up. He would had fun some time.
    Norco, CA WX: 63.9øF, 57.0% humidity, 1 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
  • From deon@deon@ALTERANT.remove-8ji-this to Digital Man on Sat Jan 23 09:55:35 2021

By: Digital Man to deon on Fri Jan 22 2021 11:31 am

Hi

I did - running master/8b8ed2159

...ëîåï

... I want to be what I was when I started to be what I am now.

---
  • From deon@deon@ALTERANT.remove-8ji-this to Digital Man on Sat Jan 23 10:26:19 2021

By: Digital Man to deon on Fri Jan 22 2021 12:02 pm

Howdy,

I don't have a terminal handy with an obvious method of sending an ASCII NUL (0), but I certainly got different results upon timeout (as expected) when using the new K_NUL mode flag and the new sbbs.

So yes, the line you quoted userInput == "" can be changed to userInput == null, and I no longer suffer the ctrl-space abort issue.

I also tested a timeout, and it trapped correctly.

...ëîåï

... Never try to out-stubborn a cat.

---
  • From deon@deon@ALTERANT.remove-8ji-this to Digital Man on Sat Jan 23 10:04:19 2021

By: Digital Man to deon on Fri Jan 22 2021 11:30 am

SlyEdit uses inkey() in SlyEdit_Misc.js -> getUserKey():

Ahh, so it does. I was confused by the comments that talk about parameters to getkey - didnt actually read the code :( My bad.

...ëîåï

... For certain people, after fifty, litigation takes the place of sex.

---
  • From deon@deon@ALTERANT.remove-8ji-this to Digital Man on Sat Jan 23 10:15:44 2021

Ahh, OK, we are testing different things.

On *timeout*, yes I see the difference. I was testing what was received by ctrl-space, which is an empty string that passes the userInput == "".

OK, I know what to play with now.

...ëîåï

... What is the Latin for office automation?

---
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-uji-this to deon on Fri Jan 22 17:01:00 2021

By: deon to Digital Man on Sat Jan 23 2021 10:26 am

Howdy,

So yes, the line you quoted userInput == "" can be changed to userInput == null, and I no longer suffer the ctrl-space abort issue.

I also tested a timeout, and it trapped correctly.

Awesome. That's what I was intending/hoping-for. :-)
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #7:
    Cities full of hatred fear and lies, withered hearts and cruel, tormented eyes Norco, CA WX: 53.6øF, 69.0% humidity, 1 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- Synchronet 3.18c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From DesotoFireflite@desotofireflite@VALHALLA.remove-jmv-this to Nightfox on Fri Jan 28 14:11:43 2022

I've been noticing with Slyedit for sometime now, when you go to quote, it doesn't allow you to quote till the end of the message, it seems to get stuck at the end of the visable page, and repeat the same line over and over again. Is this a bug, or a buffer problem on my system. Not a big deal, as I can copy and paste the original message, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you know of a fix.

SysOp: C.G. Learn, AKA: DesotoFireflite
    Valhalla Home Services! - (Synchronet) - bbs.valhallabbs.com
    Valhalla II! - (GAP) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:24
    Valhalla III! - (RemoteAccess) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:5023
    Valhalla Home Services Web! - http://bbs.valhallabbs.com
    A Gamers Paradise - Over 150 Registered Online Game Doors!

Home Of Odin's Maze Game Server!
    Come Play Trade Wars On Valhalla's T.W.G.S!

--- Don't eat the yellow snow!
    þ Synchronet þ Valhalla Home Services þ USA þ http://valhalla.synchro.net
    --- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-bdb-this to DesotoFireflite on Fri Jan 28 12:12:21 2022

To: DesotoFireflite
    By: DesotoFireflite to Nightfox on Fri Jan 28 2022 02:11 pm

I've been noticing with Slyedit for sometime now, when you go to quote, it doesn't allow you to quote till the end of the message, it seems to get stuck at the end of the visable page, and repeat the same line over and over again. Is this a bug, or a buffer problem on my system. Not a big deal, as I can copy and paste the original message, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you know of a fix.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm able to quote to the end of the message. I haven't seen this behavior you're describing.

Nightfox

---
  • From DesotoFireflite@desotofireflite@VALHALLA.remove-rw-this to Nightfox on Fri Jan 28 16:29:09 2022

By: Nightfox to DesotoFireflite on Fri Jan 28 2022 12:12 pm

By: DesotoFireflite to Nightfox on Fri Jan 28 2022 02:11 pm

I've been noticing with Slyedit for sometime now, when you go to
    quote, it doesn't allow you to quote till the end of the message, it
    seems to get stuck at the end of the visable page, and repeat the
    same line over and over again. Is this a bug, or a buffer problem on
    my system. Not a big deal, as I can copy and paste the original
    message, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you know of a
    fix.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm able to quote to the end of the message. I haven't seen this behavior you're describing.

If it's a long message, I'm not able to quote to the end. On your message for example, if it were just a few lines longer, I would not be able to quote it all, nor see it all in the quote window. It would get to a certain point, then everytime I hit enter, it just repeats the last line I can see in the quote window like this

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm able to quote to the end of the message. I I'm not sure what you mean? I'm able to quote to the end of the message. I I'm not sure what you mean? I'm able to quote to the end of the message. I I'm not sure what you mean? I'm able to quote to the end of the message. I I'm not sure what you mean? I'm able to quote to the end of the message. I

One line for every time I hit enter, and I would have never seen

haven't seen this behavior you're describing

In the quote window. Hope this helps to explain further.

--- CAT (n.), Furry keyboard cover.
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-qa0-this to DesotoFireflite on Fri Jan 28 14:44:23 2022

By: DesotoFireflite to Nightfox on Fri Jan 28 2022 04:29 pm

If it's a long message, I'm not able to quote to the end. On your message for example, if it were just a few lines longer, I would not be able to quote it all, nor see it all in the quote window. It would get to a certain point, then everytime I hit enter, it just repeats the last line I can see in the quote window like this

One line for every time I hit enter, and I would have never seen

haven't seen this behavior you're describing

In the quote window. Hope this helps to explain further.

I've just tried to reply to a fairly long message and was able to quote the entire message. I was unable to reproduce the problem you're describing. So unfortunately it's not something I've seen, so I don't know what would be causing it or a fix. :/

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-2y1-this to DesotoFireflite on Fri Jan 28 19:05:09 2022

If it's a long message, I'm not able to quote to the end. On your message for example, if it were just a few lines longer, I would not be able to quote it all, nor see it all in the quote window. It would get to a

I logged onto your BBS and tried quoting a long message. I may have been able to reproduce it with one message, but when I tried it again, I was able to quote the whole message.

I'm wondering if your JavaScript memory settings may have something to do with this. In sbbs.ini, in the [Global] section, there is a memory setting called JavaScriptMaxBytes. I suppose one thing you could do is to increase that and see if it lets you quote more of a message. Currently, mine is set to 16M (16 megabytes).

certain point, then everytime I hit enter, it just repeats the last line I can see in the quote window like this

That's normal. Once you get to the last line of the message in the quote window, it will stop scrolling there, so if you press enter again, it will insert that line again.

Nightfox

---
  • From DesotoFireflite@desotofireflite@VALHALLA.remove-999-this to Nightfox on Sat Jan 29 07:32:57 2022

By: Nightfox to DesotoFireflite on Fri Jan 28 2022 07:05 pm

If it's a long message, I'm not able to quote to the end. On your
    message for example, if it were just a few lines longer, I would not
    be able to quote it all, nor see it all in the quote window. It
    would get to a

I logged onto your BBS and tried quoting a long message. I may have been able to reproduce it with one message, but when I tried it again, I was able to quote the whole message.

I'm wondering if your JavaScript memory settings may have something to do with this. In sbbs.ini, in the [Global] section, there is a memory setting called JavaScriptMaxBytes. I suppose one thing you could do is to increase that and see if it lets you quote more of a message. Currently, mine is set to 16M (16 megabytes).

Mine is set to 160M, I updated this file a few days ago from gethub. It did ok for quoting this morning. I just don't know, I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if it happens again. I've got a theory on what is happening, so if it does happen again, I'll check. My theory is not all of the message is getting to the node#/quotes.txt file.

certain point, then everytime I hit enter, it just repeats the last
    line I can see in the quote window like this

That I understand, and makes sense. Thanks for looking into it for me. This issue just didn't crop up since the update, it's been going on for awhile, just kept forgetting to say something, but since I've done the update, I've been in a fixit mode, and cleaning house so to speak.

That's normal. Once you get to the last line of the message in the quote window, it will stop scrolling there, so if you press enter again, it will insert that line again.

Nightfox

--- Don't eat the yellow snow!
  • From mark lewis@mark.lewis@1:3634/12.73.remove-vav-this to Nightfox on Sun Jan 30 05:16:38 2022

On 2022 Jan 28 19:05:08, you wrote to DesotoFireflite:

I'm wondering if your JavaScript memory settings may have something to do with this. In sbbs.ini, in the [Global] section, there is a memory setting
    called JavaScriptMaxBytes.

this is also set in ctrl/jsexec.ini so it is read from two different places... both should be set to the same values, really...

i think the plan is to prefer jsexec.ini over the global section of sbbs.ini and to later deprecate and eventually remove the options from sbbs.ini... i could be wrong about that, though...

i do know that jsexec.ini is realtively new in the last roughly 3 years... i remember creating it on sestar when i read discussion about it on IRC i think...

)\/(ark

"The soul of a small kitten in the body of a mighty dragon. Look on my majesty, ye mighty, and despair! Or bring me catnip. Your choice. Oooh, a shiny thing!"
    ... Ya know I could never lie.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-px5-this to mark lewis on Sun Jan 30 13:27:45 2022

To: mark lewis
    By: mark lewis to Nightfox on Sun Jan 30 2022 05:16 am

On 2022 Jan 28 19:05:08, you wrote to DesotoFireflite:

I'm wondering if your JavaScript memory settings may have something to do with this. In sbbs.ini, in the [Global] section, there is a memory setting
    called JavaScriptMaxBytes.

this is also set in ctrl/jsexec.ini so it is read from two different places... both should be set to the same values, really...

i think the plan is to prefer jsexec.ini over the global section of sbbs.ini and to later deprecate and eventually remove the options from sbbs.ini... i could be wrong about that, though...

i do know that jsexec.ini is realtively new in the last roughly 3 years... i remember creating it on sestar when i read discussion about it on IRC i think...

I have not considered removing the JS options from sbbs.ini. They're actually tunable/settable for each server/service, not just globally, if someone needed.

The jsexec.ini settings apply to jsexec and the sbbs.ini settings apply to sbbs and I can imagine scenarios where you might need them to be different.
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #28:
    We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
    Norco, CA WX: 73.2øF, 14.0% humidity, 3 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
  • From MRO@mro@BBSESINF.remove-x9b-this to mark lewis on Sun Jan 30 16:39:20 2022

i think the plan is to prefer jsexec.ini over the global section of

sbbs.ini
    and to later deprecate and eventually remove the options from sbbs.ini... i could be wrong about that, though...

i do know that jsexec.ini is realtively new in the last roughly 3

years... i
    remember creating it on sestar when i read discussion about it on IRC i think...

i still have twitlist.cfg and twitlist.ini and other old files. i'm not sure it it reads the .ini files.
    been running synchronet since 2000 so it's messy here.
    maybe i can read through 20 whatsnew files and figure out some of this confusion but i'd rather do anything else.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-w81-this to mark lewis on Mon Jan 31 11:05:08 2022

I'm wondering if your JavaScript memory settings may have something
    to do with this. In sbbs.ini, in the [Global] section, there is a
    memory setting called JavaScriptMaxBytes.

jsexec is a separate program, for running JS scripts outside of Synchronet though.. I would imagine jsexec.ini applies to that, and perhaps you might want different values for jsexec than you would for Synchronet. I could see value in having the settings for both. As far as the JS memory setting in sbbs.ini, I'm not sure but I imagine that applies per node? If so, there may be cases where you might set that lower than you'd set the memory value in jsexec.ini.

Nightfox

---