• Re: First Computer That R

From Moondog@moondog@CAVEBBS.remove-1ck-this to Nightfox on Mon Feb 7 09:38:00 2022
    From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

To: Nightfox
    Re: Re: First Computer That R
    By: Nightfox to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Feb 06 2022 02:44 pm

Re: Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Sat Feb 05 2022 12:38 pm

I can't resist computers that clients offered me. I was given a little toaster-looking HP Pavilion, circa 2004. It was a couple of years old, when all computers had to have CD cubbies and clear doors over the opti drives and two-tone cases with wings, and proprietary speakers that hun off of a monitor in a matching two-tone scheme. That thing had 512mb of RAM, a 500 mhz celeron and ATA-33 drives. But, it ran the BBS perfectly for the next 7 years.

PCs with proprietary parts always bugged me. In early high school, I had a
    inside it, and I saw it had a riser board for the expansion cards to be ins

Nightfox

Riser cards have been around since the 8088 days. The sound card/ modem you mentioned had a voicemail feature and software to use it as an answering machine. I had a winmodem which came with similar software.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
    --- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
    * Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net
    --- Synchronet 3.19c-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Dumas Walker@dumas.walker@CAPCITY2.remove-1gi-this to NIGHTFOX on Tue Feb 8 16:42:00 2022

To: NIGHTFOX
    PCs with proprietary parts always bugged me.

I bought a very early, used Dell pentium for the HD (it was cheaper to buy
    the used PC than to get a HD that size at the time!) and also tried using
    it for a while as a homemade router. It had a daughterboard in it. The
    thing I cannot remember now was whether or not that daughterboard held the peripheral cards, or if it held the CPU.

At any rate for a while they were also bad about having proprietary parts,
    like in the PCs they made to try to "compete" with the MAC... they were a monitor and PC in one case.

I have to admit, I may be thinking of Digital, though. In the mist of time
    I get those confused. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Gimme three chili dogs and a malt.

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP --- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-hwd-this to Dumas Walker on Tue Feb 8 15:30:41 2022

To: Dumas Walker
    By: Dumas Walker to NIGHTFOX on Tue Feb 08 2022 04:42 pm

At any rate for a while they were also bad about having proprietary parts, like in the PCs they made to try to "compete" with the MAC... they were a monitor and PC in one case.

I have to admit, I may be thinking of Digital, though. In the mist of time I get those confused. :)

I remember seeing some Windows PCs like that in the late 90s & early 2000s. In the late 90s, there was one particular Windows PC I remember seeing in stores that was an all-in-one that used translucent blue & white plastic and looked a lot like Apple's new iMac at the time. I remember hearing Apple sued that company because their PCs looked too much like their iMac, and they won, and the company making those PCs had to stop selling them.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Xerxes@xerxes@KN6Q.remove-inx-this to Nightfox on Wed Feb 9 09:16:34 2022

To: Nightfox
    By: Nightfox to Dumas Walker on Tue Feb 08 2022 03:30 pm

In the late 90s, there was one particular Windows PC I remember seeing in stores that was an all-in-one that used translucent blue & white plastic and looked a lot like Apple's new iMac at the time. I remember hearing Apple sued that company because their PCs looked too much like their iMac, and they won, and the company making those PCs had to stop selling them.

Yes! It was an eMachines, and yes, Apple sued them and they had to stop selling them...

---
    þ Synchronet þ Desert Rats Sanctuary --- https://bbs.kn6q.org
  • From Andre@andre@1:154/70.remove-kfk-this to Xerxes on Wed Feb 9 10:00:17 2022

To: Xerxes
    Yes! It was an eMachines, and yes, Apple sued them and they had to stop selling them...

Helping take eMachines off the shelves should solidify Apple's place as the most ethical company in history.

- Andre
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
    * Origin: Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org (1:154/70)
  • From MRO@mro@BBSESINF.remove-gb-this to Xerxes on Wed Feb 9 14:11:35 2022

To: Xerxes
    By: Xerxes to Nightfox on Wed Feb 09 2022 09:16 am

and looked a lot like Apple's new iMac at the time. I remember hearing Apple sued that company because their PCs looked too much like their iMac, and they won, and the company making those PCs had to stop selling them.

they settled the case. apple did copyright the look and style of the imac. apple was probably going to just bankrupt them in the courts.

i see on wikipedia that gateway released an all in one called th one. my coworker bought one of those.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Dumas Walker@dumas.walker@CAPCITY2.remove-yzq-this to NIGHTFOX on Wed Feb 9 16:20:00 2022

To: NIGHTFOX
    At any rate for a while they were also bad about having proprietary parts
    like in the PCs they made to try to "compete" with the MAC... they were a
    monitor and PC in one case.

I have to admit, I may be thinking of Digital, though. In the mist of tim
    I get those confused. :)

I remember seeing some Windows PCs like that in the late 90s & early 2000s. I
    the late 90s, there was one particular Windows PC I remember seeing in stores at was an all-in-one that used translucent blue & white plastic and looked a l
    like Apple's new iMac at the time. I remember hearing Apple sued that compan
    because their PCs looked too much like their iMac, and they won, and the compa
    making those PCs had to stop selling them.

This would have been in 1994, which was before the iMac (I think). These
    were more "boringly" packaged units in plain beige cases. I think I also remember those PCs that looked like they were knocking off the look of the iMac, but don't think I ever saw one firsthand. I wonder who made them?

Looks like Xerxes answered that question. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * "Tryin' is the first step towards failure." - Homer

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP --- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From Dumas Walker@dumas.walker@CAPCITY2.remove-yzq-this to XERXES on Wed Feb 9 16:21:00 2022

To: XERXES
    In the late 90s, there was one particular Windows PC I remember seeing in stores that was an all-in-one that used translucent blue & white plastic an
    looked a lot like Apple's new iMac at the time. I remember hearing Apple sued that company because their PCs looked too much like their iMac, and they won, and the company making those PCs had to stop selling them.

Yes! It was an eMachines, and yes, Apple sued them and they had to stop sellin
    them...

I have one of the "regular looking" emachines in my old PC collection.
    Used to be my sister's. It was a pretty good performer until the version
    of Windows on it got old.

* SLMR 2.1a * A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. -J.Springfield

---
  • From Nightfox@nightfox@DIGDIST.remove-2az-this to Dumas Walker on Wed Feb 9 16:52:21 2022

To: Dumas Walker
    By: Dumas Walker to NIGHTFOX on Wed Feb 09 2022 04:20 pm

I remember seeing some Windows PCs like that in the late 90s & early
    2000s. I the late 90s, there was one particular Windows PC I remember
    seeing in stores at was an all-in-one that used translucent blue &
    white plastic and looked a l like Apple's new iMac at the time. I
    remember hearing Apple sued that compan because their PCs looked too
    much like their iMac, and they won, and the compa making those PCs had
    to stop selling them.

This would have been in 1994, which was before the iMac (I think). These were more "boringly" packaged units in plain beige cases. I think I also remember those PCs that looked like they were knocking off the look of the iMac, but don't think I ever saw one firsthand. I wonder who made them?

No, it wasn't 1994. It was in the late 90s, when Apple had started making the newer translucent iMacs. As someone else mentioned, it was eMachines. I looked it up, and it was the eMachines eOne, which they were selling in 1999:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMachines_eOne

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com