• Updates

From Charon@VERT/THERIVER to Dreamer on Mon Jan 20 11:52:12 2014
    This is a silly questions, since I have been out of bbs'ing so long, but is there a way to upload a bbs ad that is already made?

I remember that I used to be able to do so, with WWIV, but since running Synchronet, I have no clue...

I have a friend who set up a bbs, and he has a few adds that he would like to make it around..

Thanks in advanced for the help!

Arcade Master

---
    þ Synchronet þ The River Styx - riverstyx.darktech.org
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Charon on Mon Jan 20 23:47:44 2014
    Re: Updates
    By: Charon to Dreamer on Mon Jan 20 2014 11:52 am

This is a silly questions, since I have been out of bbs'ing so long, but is there a way to upload a bbs ad that is already made?

I remember that I used to be able to do so, with WWIV, but since running Synchronet, I have no clue...

In Synchronet, you hit Ctrl-Z to enable raw input mode, then post a message and
    use the "ASCII upload" feature of your terminal program to send the file.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #1:
    Synchronet version 2 for DOS and OS/2 was released to the public domain in 1997.
    Norco, CA WX: 66.4øF, 14.0% humidity, 6 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Charon on Tue Jan 21 12:41:36 2014
    Hello Charon,

On 20 Jan 14 11:52, Charon wrote to Dreamer:

This is a silly questions, since I have been out of bbs'ing so long,
    but is there a way to upload a bbs ad that is already made?

I remember that I used to be able to do so, with WWIV, but since
    running Synchronet, I have no clue...

As well as what Digital Man said, you can also use the 'smbutil' feature to post text files to your message base. Take a look at the wiki or just run 'smbutil' in the exec folder for options and other execution details.

Regards,
    Nick

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
    * Origin: Dark Sorrow | darksorrow.us (723:1/701)
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Charon on Tue Jan 21 20:29:41 2014
    By: Charon to Dreamer on Mon Jan 20 2014 11:52:12

Upload to where?

With Synchronet, you can make a script that will read a text ad and post the ad in message areas, but if you want to upload your ad to a certain section of a BBS, you might need to be more specific in your question. Depending on where you want your ad to go, I'm sure some amount of scripting could be made to handle it. Perhaps if you make a file area for BBS ads and let people upload ads there, you could make a script that will copy the ads to some section on your BBS - if that's what you're looking for.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Access Denied on Tue Jan 21 20:30:45 2014
    By: Access Denied to Charon on Tue Jan 21 2014 12:41:36

As well as what Digital Man said, you can also use the 'smbutil' feature to post text files to your message base. Take a look at the wiki or just run 'smbutil' in the exec folder for options and other execution details.

That might be better than my solution of using a custom JavaScript script to post BBS ads to various message areas.. Built-in tools FTW. ;)

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Charon on Tue Jan 21 22:29:12 2014
    By: Charon to Dreamer on Mon Jan 20 2014 11:52 am

yeah you can do it with smbutil

smbutil -i -c -fNAMEITSFROM -sSUBJECT ...etc

check out the help for smbutil

OH, i was thinking about automatic posting.

yes, you can do it via smbutil or entering raw mode.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Charon@VERT/THERIVER to Nightfox on Wed Jan 22 16:05:13 2014
    By: Nightfox to Charon on Tue Jan 21 2014 20:29:41

By: Charon to Dreamer on Mon Jan 20 2014 11:52:12

This is a silly questions, since I have been out of bbs'ing so long, bu is there a way to upload a bbs ad that is already made?

Upload to where?

With Synchronet, you can make a script that will read a text ad and post the in message areas, but if you want to upload your ad to a certain section of BBS, you might need to be more specific in your question. Depending on wher you want your ad to go, I'm sure some amount of scripting could be made to handle it. Perhaps if you make a file area for BBS ads and let people uploa ads there, you could make a script that will copy the ads to some section on your BBS - if that's what you're looking for.

Nightfox

I am just wanting to post a BBS ad, via message bases. So, instead of constantly typing the AD, I would just upload it.

Thanks,

Charon
    riverstyx.darktech.org

---
    þ Synchronet þ The River Styx - riverstyx.darktech.org
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Charon on Thu Jan 23 01:40:31 2014
    By: Charon to Nightfox on Wed Jan 22 2014 04:05 pm

I am just wanting to post a BBS ad, via message bases. So, instead of constantly typing the AD, I would just upload it.

Thanks,

Charon

use smbutil

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::