• Rush - Alex Lifeson antics

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to All on Mon Dec 2 01:20:03 2013
    Alex Lifeson (the guitarist of the band Rush) has been known to occasionally act a bit silly during parts of some of their tours. I've seen Rush in
    concert twice - One of which was their 2002 Vapor Trails tour. During that concert, there was a section of the show where they were jamming (playing no song in particular), and Alex Lifeson started off on a story for the audience, starting out by saying "I'd like to tell you about the time when I was
    attacked by a sandwich.." His story went on for several minutes before they went onto their next song. Good times.. However, I don't think any of Alex's such antics have appeared in any official Rush concert video release.

There are some bootleg Rush videos posted online - I found this page with some examples of Alex Lifeson's "Live Rants": http://www.rushisaband.com/livevideos.php?subid=58

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Maynard James@VERT/STARR to Nightfox on Mon Dec 2 14:28:12 2013
    Re: Rush - Alex Lifeson antics
    By: Nightfox to All on Sun Dec 01 2013 07:20 pm

Their drummer is very talented! It's what got me into drums, his inhuman skill to play.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Solomon's Temple *telnet://wm.myftp.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Maynard James on Mon Dec 2 14:44:10 2013
    By: Maynard James to Nightfox on Mon Dec 02 2013 08:28:12

Their drummer is very talented! It's what got me into drums, his inhuman skill to play.

Yes, he is a very talented drummer - Definitely one of the best. I enjoy watching his drum solos, on his drum set which surrounds him and rotates depending on which ones he wants to play (and still be able to face the audience).

Nightfox

---
  • From Maynard James@VERT/STARR to Nightfox on Wed Dec 4 10:33:10 2013
    By: Nightfox to Maynard James on Mon Dec 02 2013 08:44 am

Yes, he is a very talented drummer - Definitely one of the best. I enjoy watching his drum solos, on his drum set which surrounds him and rotates depending on which ones he wants to play (and still be able to face the audience).

It looks like he is watering his lawn with a hose pipe. Well the way his arms stay in one place, normally I can only see the stick bounce with very little wrist movement. It's like he's a robot or something. He has some kind of inhuman ability to play drums. Hell, I think their whole band is probably one of the more talented rock bands playing still to this day.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Solomon's Temple *telnet://wm.myftp.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Maynard James on Fri Dec 6 02:08:13 2013
    By: Maynard James to Nightfox on Wed Dec 04 2013 04:33:10

some kind of inhuman ability to play drums. Hell, I think their whole
    band is probably one of the more talented rock bands playing still to
    this day.

I agree. They're one of the best bands around, and they keep on playing.

Nightfox

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Fri Dec 6 12:52:43 2013
    By: Nightfox to Maynard James on Thu Dec 05 2013 08:08 pm

I agree. They're one of the best bands around, and they keep on playing.

They make the most decibels per band member out there.

<low> Mormon Tabernacle Choir
    <med> Chicago
    <high> Death Metal
    <off the chain> RUSH

Honorable mention to Genesis, but they used to use an additional drummer.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Dec 7 03:21:34 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Nightfox on Fri Dec 06 2013 06:52:43

They make the most decibels per band member out there.

<low> Mormon Tabernacle Choir
    <med> Chicago
    <high> Death Metal
    <off the chain> RUSH

Contrary to what some might say, much of my favorite Rush music was released in the 80s (with some exceptions for some of their 70s and 90s works). Their 80s work might not have been as loud as their other work, but I think it had a distinct good sound to it - Songs such as Tom Sawyer (and much of their Moving Pictures album), New World man, Middletown Dreams, and others from their Signals and Power Windows albums. Counterparts (1993) was one of my favorite Rush albums though - but was probably the last Rush album that I really liked in its entirety.

Honorable mention to Genesis, but they used to use an additional
    drummer.

Genesis was indeed a great band. Phil Collins stands out as a favorite musician of mine who played in Genesis.

Nightfox

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Sat Dec 7 12:54:04 2013
    By: Nightfox to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Dec 06 2013 09:21 pm

Contrary to what some might say, much of my favorite Rush music was released in the 80s (with some exceptions for some of their 70s and 90s works). Their 80s work might not have been as loud as their other work, but I think it had a distinct good sound to it - Songs such as Tom Sawyer (and much of their Moving Pictures album), New World man, Middletown

Oh, MAN.

Being a kid, listening to Moving Pictures in my bedroom back home, lights off, big ol' KOSS can headphones blaring at excessive volume.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Dec 7 14:37:32 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Nightfox on Sat Dec 07 2013 06:54:04

90s works). Their 80s work might not have been as loud as their
    other work, but I think it had a distinct good sound to it - Songs
    such as Tom Sawyer (and much of their Moving Pictures album), New
    World man, Middletown

Oh, MAN.

Being a kid, listening to Moving Pictures in my bedroom back home, lights off, big ol' KOSS can headphones blaring at excessive volume.

I was similar - Moving Pictures was one of my favorite albums to listen to as a kid on my Walkman..

Nightfox

---
  • From Allen Scofield@VERT/PHARCYDE to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Dec 7 20:43:44 2013
    Moving Pictures was my first RUSH album (cassette) and I wore it out in short order. I finally upgraded to a CD a few years ago.

I still remember the first time I heard "Tom Sawyer" on the radio. Twas late at night and I was in bed listening to the radio. I was hooked!

I had a set of SounDesign headphones I used to listen to....too loud of course :) Lights off and great tunes was, and still is, the way to go!
    Thanks!
    Allen Scofield

... The government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem.

---
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Allen Scofield on Sat Jan 11 22:44:10 2014
    By: Allen Scofield to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Dec 07 2013 02:43 pm

Moving Pictures was my first RUSH album (cassette) and I wore it out in short order. I finally upgraded to a CD a few years ago.

I still remember the first time I heard "Tom Sawyer" on the radio. Twas late at night and I was in bed listening to the radio. I was hooked!

I had a set of SounDesign headphones I used to listen to....too loud of course :) Lights off and great tunes was, and still is, the way to go!

My alias aside, Moving Pictures was a pivotal album for me, as a music fan and a drummer. I'd still have to list it as my all-time #1 favorite Rush album, for
    a long list of reasons, but the *feeling* I get, the memories that coming "rushing" back, when I listen to it, is high on that list. It's a very visceral
    experience, probably like most people get when then listen to the music of their youth. It makes you feel young all-over again and I can remember where I was, what I was doing at the time, the first time I heard each song.

I have on my to-do list, to over-dub my own drums to the entire Moving Pictures
    album with HD (1280x720x30) video and post to youtube (one song at a time, as is the fashion).

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGzwepklHQ, but without Neil's drums
    in the background (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snzvowmvKQY)
    and at a higher video resolution.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #65:
    Synchronet was conceived of and mostly developed in southern California.
    Norco, CA WX: 57.6øF, 61.0% humidity, 0 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From bcw142@VERT/FATCATS to Digital Man on Wed Jan 15 14:37:07 2014
    By: Digital Man to Allen Scofield on Sat Jan 11 2014 22:44:10

My favorite was always 2012, I do like Tom Sawyer and Moving Pictures in general. It might be #2 on my list ;) I do like Rush in general, it's amazing what they do with mostly just the three of them. I'll have to check out the youtube.

---
    þ Synchronet þ fatcats bbs - fatcatsbbs.com
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to bcw142 on Wed Jan 15 08:26:17 2014
    By: bcw142 to Digital Man on Wed Jan 15 2014 02:37 pm

Moving Pictures was my first RUSH album (cassette) and I wore it out
    in short order. I finally upgraded to a CD a few years ago.

My favorite was always 2012,

Give or take 100 years... :)

---
  • From Ascii Express@VERT/DMINE to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Jan 18 17:14:55 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to bcw142 on Wed Jan 15 2014 08:26 am

Cool to see all the Rush memories. I got into them in high school also, the first band I actually decided to like on my own that I didn't hear on the radio etc. So they have a special place for me. If I had to pick a favorite album I might also pick Moving Pictures, though Hemispheres and A Farewell to Kings have some epic tracks as well.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Arcade Master@VERT/LIMITS to Ascii Express on Mon Jan 20 18:47:00 2014
    Re: Rush - Alex Lifeson antic
    By: Ascii Express to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Jan 18 2014 05:14 pm

By: Poindexter Fortran to bcw142 on Wed Jan 15 2014 08:26 am

Cool to see all the Rush memories. I got into them in high school also, the first band I actually decided to like on my own that I didn't hear on the ra etc. So they have a special place for me. If I had to pick a favorite album might also pick Moving Pictures, though Hemispheres and A Farewell to Kings have some epic tracks as well.

Farewell to Kings is definately one of the best albums!

Arcade Master

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Outer Limit's (Alpha Site) limits.darktech.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Sun Jan 26 14:47:33 2014
    By: Digital Man to Allen Scofield on Sat Jan 11 2014 22:44:10

My alias aside, Moving Pictures was a pivotal album for me, as a music
    fan and a drummer. I'd still have to list it as my all-time #1 favorite Rush album, for a long list of reasons, but the *feeling* I get, the memories that coming "rushing" back, when I listen to it, is high on
    that list. It's a very visceral experience, probably like most people
    get when then listen to the music of their youth. It makes you feel
    young all-over again and I can remember where I was, what I was doing at the time, the first time I heard each song.

I have the same feeling about Moving Pictures. That album had a uniquely good sound, and I think all of the songs on the album are good (although Vital Signs is probably my least favorite from Moving Pictures). I also have fond memories of the time in my life when I first heard Moving Pictures (which was how I was introduced to Rush).

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGzwepklHQ, but without
    Neil's drums in the background (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snzvowmvKQY)

Those are cool. Nice drumming. Looks like a pretty nice drum set you have too. Also, how do you remove Neil's drums from the audio?

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to bcw142 on Sun Jan 26 14:55:18 2014
    By: bcw142 to Digital Man on Wed Jan 15 2014 14:37:07

My favorite was always 2012, I do like Tom Sawyer and Moving Pictures in general. It might be #2 on my list ;) I do like Rush in general, it's amazing what they do with mostly just the three of them. I'll have to check out the youtube.

I've always felt like Moving Pictures was my favorite Rush album (followed closely by Counterparts), but it's hard to decide because I also like many of Rush's other songs from various albums. Power Windows, Presto, Hold Your Fire, and Grace Under Pressure have some other of my favorite Rush songs. I'm not quite as into their 70s or late 90s-2000s stuff but I like some of it.

Rush has changed their sound several times over their career, and while I see how that's a good thing, I also don't like it at the same time. I really liked Rush's stuff from the 80s up to and including Counterparts, but when Test For Echo came out, I just couldn't really get into it. I felt similarly about Vapor Trails and some of their 2000s albums. It's like they had turned into a different band. But I'm sure the change from their 70s sound to their 80s sound came as a similar shock to some of their 70s fans though..

Nightfox

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nightfox on Mon Jan 27 15:07:56 2014
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Sun Jan 26 2014 02:47 pm

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGzwepklHQ, but without Neil's drums in the background (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snzvowmvKQY)

Those are cool. Nice drumming. Looks like a pretty nice drum set you have too.

Thanks!

Also, how do you remove Neil's drums from the audio?

See this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDAqOaoP9Ew

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #45:
    Synchronet External X/Y/ZMODEM protocol driver (SEXYZ) was introduced in 2005. Norco, CA WX: 66.9øF, 52.0% humidity, 5 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Mon Jan 27 19:55:06 2014
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Mon Jan 27 2014 15:07:56

Also, how do you remove Neil's drums from the audio?

See this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDAqOaoP9Ew

That's pretty cool. I didn't know about multi-track OGG files before or that you could rip them from Guitar Hero. Audacity is a nice piece of software too. I used it once to reduce hiss from a cassette recording that I made on my PC, and I think it did a fairly good job of removing hiss while keeping the sound quality of the recording fairly good.

Nightfox

---