• Star Trek TNG Season 6 blu-ray

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to All on Sun Feb 23 20:34:29 2014
    Are there any fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation here? Has anyone heard anything about season 6 blu-ray? I've been checking up on it every so often but have not seen any information about it. Season 5 just came out in November, but I thought they might announce season 6 and maybe a release date by now. With the past seasons on blu-ray, they've announced the release date months in advance. I hope the apparent silence about season 6 isn't a bad sign..

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Mordor@VERT to Nightfox on Mon Mar 3 21:22:48 2014
    Re: Star Trek TNG Season 6 blu-ray
    By: Nightfox to All on Sun Feb 23 2014 08:34 pm

Are there any fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation here? Has anyone heard anything about season 6 blu-ray? I've been checking up on it every so often but have not seen any information about it. Season 5 just came out in November, but I thought they might announce season 6 and maybe a release dat by now. With the past seasons on blu-ray, they've announced the release dat months in advance. I hope the apparent silence about season 6 isn't a bad sign..

Nightfox

I am a big fan of the TNG series, I have them all on DVD. But I personally wonder if it is really worth spending all that money again just to have them
    on Blue Ray? I mean, how much better can it be? Recorded in the mid 80's for VHS, then converted to DVD. I cannot think it would have improved much to
    Blue Ray if at all?

Jeff in Australia.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Mordor - casper.homeip.net
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Mordor on Mon Mar 3 09:35:03 2014
    Are there any fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation here? Has anyone heard anything about season 6 blu-ray? I've been checking up on it
    every so often but have not seen any information about it. Season 5
    just came out in November, but I thought they might announce season 6
    and maybe a release dat by now. With the past seasons on blu-ray, they've announced the release dat months in advance. I hope the
    apparent silence about season 6 isn't a bad sign..

Nightfox

I am a big fan of the TNG series, I have them all on DVD. But I personally wonder if it is really worth spending all that money again just to have
    them on Blue Ray? I mean, how much better can it be? Recorded in the mid 80's for VHS, then converted to DVD. I cannot think it would have improved much to Blue Ray if at all?

I've seen many of the episodes on DVD, and I can attest that the blu-ray versions look significantly improved. I don't think they were originally recorded in only VHS quality; they used better film stock to record it. To make the blu-ray versions, they have re-scanned the original film in high- definition and have remastered them so the colors look more vivid, and they have also re-done some of the background scenery (planets, etc.) with modern techniques so they look better - and I believe they have also done that with some of the effects. Granted, the image is not 100% perfect (there is still some grain to it), but on a high-definition TV, it does look quite a bit
    better than the DVD versions.

If you want a sample, there is a blu-ray set that costs about $15US called
    Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Next Level. It has 3 episodes, if I remember right. This is a link to it on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Generation-Level-Blu-ray/dp/B0064NLQYG

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Mordor on Mon Mar 3 21:28:28 2014
    By: Nightfox to Mordor on Mon Mar 03 2014 09:35:03

There are comparisons of the standard definition vs. blu-ray video online. A couple of examples:
    http://youtu.be/N1gklnHGq4I
    http://youtu.be/Fb_KdXgOhTk

And there is a lot more information about the blu-ray versions online besides those.

Nightfox

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Tue Mar 4 11:38:46 2014
    By: Nightfox to Mordor on Mon Mar 03 2014 09:35 am

I've seen many of the episodes on DVD, and I can attest that the blu-ray versions look significantly improved. I don't think they were originally recorded in only VHS quality; they used better film stock to record it.

Hmmm. Rumor had it that they filmed the Enterprise-D scenes in Generations in such dim lighting because the sets looked horrible on the big screen.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Poindexter Fortran on Tue Mar 4 12:46:22 2014
    I've seen many of the episodes on DVD, and I can attest that the blu-ray versions look significantly improved. I don't think they were originally recorded in only VHS quality; they used better film stock
    to record it.

Hmmm. Rumor had it that they filmed the Enterprise-D scenes in Generations in such dim lighting because the sets looked horrible on the big screen.

Well, what they did for the movie could be different from what they did for
    the TV show. However, I have Generations on blu-ray, and although I haven't watched it in a while, I remember thinking it looked pretty good. I think the Enterprise D also looks great on the blu-ray version of the TNG TV series too. It at least looks better than it did in the DVD versions.

I've also heard that they decided to destroy the Enterprise D in Generations because they didn't think the ship worked well on a big, widescreen format. I think that's just their opinion though; I liked the Enterprise D, and I think it worked fairly well in Generations.

Nightfox

---
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Nightfox on Tue Mar 4 16:15:22 2014
    By: Nightfox to Poindexter Fortran on Tue Mar 04 2014 12:46 pm

I've also heard that they decided to destroy the Enterprise D in
    Generations because they didn't think the ship worked well on a big, widescreen format. I think that's just their opinion though; I liked the Enterprise D, and I think it worked fairly well in Generations.

You have to remember how rushed Generations was. They wrapped season 7 and almost immediately began filming the movie. There wasn't time for a big redesign, which they certainly would have done if there had been more time.

The Enterprise-D sets were designed for TV: a more square format, with actors usually clustered close together.

As far as the lighting, I think that was less to hide the sets, and more to increase the dramatic look. Nicholas Meyer did the same thing on Star Trek II and Star Trek VI. In each of those films, he used the same bridge set as the film before (TMP and V), but he lit his much more darkly.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Kirkman on Tue Mar 4 21:36:08 2014
    By: Kirkman to Nightfox on Tue Mar 04 2014 16:15:22

You have to remember how rushed Generations was. They wrapped season 7
    and almost immediately began filming the movie. There wasn't time for a big redesign, which they certainly would have done if there had been
    more time.

The Enterprise-D sets were designed for TV: a more square format, with actors usually clustered close together.

I suppose I can understand that, and it does seem like the Enterprise D fits more fully in a square frame - But I don't think it did poorly on a wide screen though. I think it was fine in wide screen, and I don't think a redesign was really necessary - although I'll admit, I think the saucer crash scene was pretty awesome, and I think the Enterprise E looks fairly nice.

There have been a couple times when I've put the Generations blu-ray in and turned off the lights and just watched the saucer crash scene..

Nightfox

---
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Mordor on Wed Mar 5 02:36:28 2014
    By: Mordor to Nightfox on Mon Mar 03 2014 09:22 pm

I am a big fan of the TNG series, I have them all on DVD. But I personally wonder if it is really worth spending all that money again just to have
    them on Blue Ray? I mean, how much better can it be? Recorded in the mid 80's for VHS, then converted to DVD. I cannot think it would have improved much to Blue Ray if at all?

It was filmed on 35mm film stock... just like movies. Only the special effects
    were done for NTSC (which is better than VHS).

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Froggyme@VERT/LILLYPAD to Nightfox on Wed Mar 5 21:40:08 2014
    By: Nightfox to Mordor on Mon Mar 03 2014 09:35 am

To make the blu-ray versions, they have re-scanned the original film in high- definition and have remastered them so the colors look more vivid, and they have also re-done some of the background scenery (planets, etc.) with modern techniques so they look better - and I believe they have also done that with some of the effects. Granted, the image is not 100%

That's too bad. Kind of like how Carl Sagan's Cosmos was ruined, too.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from The Lillypad BBS - lillypad.synchro.net:2323
  • From Froggyme@VERT/LILLYPAD to Nightfox on Wed Mar 5 21:44:19 2014
    By: Nightfox to Poindexter Fortran on Tue Mar 04 2014 12:46 pm

I think the Enterprise D also looks great on the blu-ray version of the TNG TV series too. It at least looks better than it did in the DVD versions.

But is it at 60Hz 60 FPS, giving it a cheap, soap-opera like feel? I hope
    not.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from The Lillypad BBS - lillypad.synchro.net:2323
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Froggyme on Thu Mar 6 08:08:05 2014
    By: Froggyme to Nightfox on Wed Mar 05 2014 21:40:08

To make the blu-ray versions, they have re-scanned the original film
    in high- definition and have remastered them so the colors look more
    vivid, and they have also re-done some of the background scenery
    (planets, etc.) with modern techniques so they look better - and I
    believe they have also done that with some of the effects. Granted,
    the image is not 100%

That's too bad. Kind of like how Carl Sagan's Cosmos was ruined, too.

I haven't seen Carl Sagan's Cosmos, so I can't comment on that.. But I do think the blu-ray version of Star Trek: TNG looks better. If you had a high-definition TV, would you still prefer to watch a show in a low-resolution image? On a high-definition TV, the image quality of the blu-ray version is noticeably sharper. They haven't made any crazy changes like George Lucas did with Star Wars, so I don't think it has been ruined.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Froggyme on Thu Mar 6 08:09:34 2014
    By: Froggyme to Nightfox on Wed Mar 05 2014 21:44:19

I think the Enterprise D also looks great on the blu-ray version of
    the TNG TV series too. It at least looks better than it did in the
    DVD versions.

But is it at 60Hz 60 FPS, giving it a cheap, soap-opera like feel? I
    hope not.

Blu-ray does have a video standard in that regard, and I'm not sure what they could do about that..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Video

Nightfox

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Thu Mar 6 09:34:08 2014
    By: Nightfox to Froggyme on Thu Mar 06 2014 08:08 am

blu-ray version is noticeably sharper. They haven't made any crazy changes like George Lucas did with Star Wars, so I don't think it has been ruined.

Quick, someone photoshop Jar Jar Binks into a red shirt and beard, put him in Riker's place!

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Mar 6 13:02:04 2014
    blu-ray version is noticeably sharper. They haven't made any crazy changes like George Lucas did with Star Wars, so I don't think it has been ruined.

Quick, someone photoshop Jar Jar Binks into a red shirt and beard, put him in Riker's place!

Me-sa think that a bad idea..

Nightfox

---