• Doctor Who

From nolageek@VERT/CAPSHRIL to All on Tue Apr 15 17:30:46 2014
    I watched Doctor Who when I was a kid, but I look back on it now and I'm not quite sure if I understood what was really going on. I watched the 4th Doctor and the 5th Doctor mostly.

I stopped watching for years and got back into it after the reboot. I've liked all the new Doctors but I'm really looking forward to Capaldi. The last season and a half of Matt Smith was really getting bad, in my opinion - especially the writing. After Asylum of the Daleks they just seemed to get more and more contrived. I was really getting timred of the lovey-dovey stuff. I can't wait for the next season! :)

-nolageek

---
    þ Synchronet þ Capitol Shrill BBS - Washington, DC - capitolshrill.com
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to nolageek on Tue Apr 15 19:59:42 2014
    Re: Doctor Who
    By: nolageek to All on Tue Apr 15 2014 06:30 pm

liked all the new Doctors but I'm really looking forward to Capaldi. The last season and a half of Matt Smith was really getting bad, in my opinion
    - especially the writing. After Asylum of the Daleks they just seemed to
    get more and more contrived. I was really getting timred of the lovey-dovey stuff. I can't wait for the next season! :)

there certainly seemed to be something going on with that show. maybe there was something behind the scenes between the actors and producers like with ecleston. it just seemed like the acting AND the stories were dropping off.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to nolageek on Wed Apr 16 11:43:00 2014
    On 04-15-14, nolageek said the following...

I watched Doctor Who when I was a kid, but I look back on it now and I'm not quite sure if I understood what was really going on. I watched the
    4th Doctor and the 5th Doctor mostly.

I stopped watching for years and got back into it after the reboot. I'veliked all the new Doctors but I'm really looking forward to Capaldi. The last season and a half of Matt Smith was really getting bad, in my opinion - especially the writing. After Asylum of the Daleks they just seemed to get more and more contrived. I wasreally getting timred of the lovey-dovey stuff. I can't wait for the next season! :)

The word on the street is that Russel T Davis was the producer and writer of the reboot, but then the torch was passed to Stephen Moffat. Stephen Moffat took over as producer the same season that Matt Smith came on.

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A38 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX
  • From nolageek@VERT/CAPSHRIL to Mro on Wed Apr 16 15:31:44 2014
    By: Mro to nolageek on Tue Apr 15 2014 08:59 pm

there certainly seemed to be something going on with that show. maybe there was something behind the scenes between the actors and producers like with ecleston. it just seemed like the acting AND the stories were dropping off.

I think they realized he had become the dashing young "hot" doctor so they dummed down the story lines (no more multi-part episodes) so he can neatly wrap up every episode with a flip of his hair and a wave of the sonic screwdriver without confusing the audience of swooning teenages. It was always somewhat campy but they just got lazy that last season, I thought.

-nolageek

---
    þ Synchronet þ Capitol Shrill BBS - Washington, DC - capitolshrill.com
  • From Dreamer@VERT/SETXBBS to nolageek on Thu Apr 17 21:35:00 2014
    nolageek wrote to Mro <=-

By: Mro to nolageek on Tue Apr 15 2014 08:59 pm

I think they realized he had become the dashing young "hot" doctor so
    they dummed down the story lines (no more multi-part episodes) so he
    can neatly wrap up every episode with a flip of his hair and a wave of
    the sonic screwdriver without confusing the audience of swooning
    teenages. It was always somewhat campy but they just got lazy that last season, I thought.

I got the feeling they've been trying to draw in various viewers who'd
    not had much exposure to Doctor Who. It certainly worked here in the
    US...it's weird walking into bookstores and seeing entire sections of
    Doctor Who. Even weirder to find it in the grocery or convenience
    store, when I remember being the only kid, perhaps in my entire grade,
    who'd ever heard of Doctor Who, let alone watch it.

Anyhow, Smith always reminded me a little bit of the second doctor.
    Perhaps this new one will be a little more like the third. Or first.
    They could both make grown men pee their pants if they wanted to. :)

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ Sovereign State BBS
  • From bcw142@VERT/FATCATS to Gryphon on Thu Apr 24 14:05:11 2014
    Re: Re: Doctor Who
    By: Gryphon to nolageek on Wed Apr 16 2014 12:43:00

I watched Doctor Who when I was a kid, but I look back on it now and I' not quite sure if I understood what was really going on. I watched the 4th Doctor and the 5th Doctor mostly.

The word on the street is that Russel T Davis was the producer and writer of the reboot, but then the torch was passed to Stephen Moffat. Stephen Moffat took over as producer the same season that Matt Smith came on.

That isn't really a problem though, the first few years are fine. I think they're just stagnet in the writting staff, they've run out of ideas. They need new writers or a new Doctor which they now have. It should be better again, we'll just have to see.

---
    þ Synchronet þ fatcats bbs - fatcatsbbs.com