• MP3 more expensive than a CD?

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to All on Sat Apr 16 16:53:05 2016
    I came across Enya's latest album on Amazon, and I noticed they charge more for it in MP3 format than for the CD: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sky-Island-Enya/dp/B0168KQSNI/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2 I'm wondering why it would be more expensive in MP3 format, considering there is no physical media to produce and ship. I'd think you might as well buy the CD and make your own MP3s from it. I tend to still prefer buying CDs over MP3 anyway (since MP3 is lossless, and I can rip the CD to MP3 myself).

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sat Apr 16 19:45:37 2016
    Re: MP3 more expensive than a CD?
    By: Nightfox to All on Sat Apr 16 2016 12:53 pm

I came across Enya's latest album on Amazon, and I noticed they charge more for it in MP3 format than for the CD: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sky-Island-Enya/dp/B0168KQSNI/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_ 2 I'm wondering why it would be more expensive in MP3 format, considering there is no physical media to produce and ship. I'd think you might as
    well buy the CD and make your own MP3s from it. I tend to still prefer buying CDs over MP3 anyway (since MP3 is lossless, and I can rip the CD to

you should ask them

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Spacesst@VERT/SPACESST to Nightfox on Sun Apr 17 00:13:53 2016
    By: Nightfox to All on Sat Apr 16 2016 12:53:05

I came across Enya's latest album on Amazon, and I noticed they charge more for it in MP3 format than for the CD: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sky-Island-Enya/dp/B0168KQSNI/ref=sr_1_1_twi_au d_2 I'm wondering why it would be more expensive in MP3 format, considering there is no physical media to produce and ship. I'd think you might as well buy the CD and make your own MP3s from it. I tend to still prefer buying CDs over MP3 anyway (since MP3 is lossless, and I can rip the CD to MP3 myself).

because it's more popularity , they charge more !

Buy the CD and Convert it MP3 , you Save $

---
    þ Synchronet þ SpaceSST BBS Usenet Gateway
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Sun Apr 17 11:44:00 2016
    Subject: Re: MP3 more expensive than a CD?
    @MSGID: <5712B42F.64.dove-ent@freeway.apana.org.au>
    @REPLY: <57129821.2661.dove_entertai@digitaldistortionbbs.com>
    @TZ: 1258
    Nightfox wrote to All <=-

I came across Enya's latest album on Amazon, and I noticed they charge more for it in MP3 format than for the CD: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sky-Island-Enya/dp/B0168KQSNI/ref=sr_1_1_twi_ aud_2
    I'm wondering why it would be more expensive in MP3 format, considering

Sounds like charging for convenience. Considering that not only is there no physical media, but you don't need people to pack, label and dispatch them too, it sounds like a rip off (pardon the pun).

there is no physical media to produce and ship. I'd think you might as well buy the CD and make your own MP3s from it. I tend to still prefer buying CDs over MP3 anyway (since MP3 is lossless, and I can rip the CD
    to MP3 myself).

I agree, except for one thing. MP3 is _lossy_, not lossless. If it was lossless, there would be no point buying the CD, you'd simply burn your own from the MP3. ;)

... So easy, a child could do it. Child sold separately.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS in Bendigo, Australia.
  • From Allen Prunty@VERT/LIVEWIRE to Nightfox on Sun Apr 17 05:05:46 2016

I came across Enya's latest album on Amazon, and I noticed they charge more for it in MP3 format than for the CD: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sky-Island- Enya/dp/B0168KQSNI/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2 I'm wondering why it would be more expensive in MP3 format, considering there is no physical media to produce and ship. I'd think you might as well buy the CD and make your own MP3s from it. I tend to still prefer buying CDs over MP3 anyway (since MP3 is lossless, and I can rip the CD to MP3 myself).

Actually MP3 is Lossy and the CD has full fidelity. MP3 removes sounds from the inaudable sound spectrum.

The Lossless music files are .flac and .aiff and apple has there own too.

Allen

---
    þ Synchronet þ SONOS - livewirebbs.ddns.net
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Sun Apr 17 12:49:15 2016

I came across Enya's latest album on Amazon, and I noticed they charge more for it in MP3 format than for the CD:

That is weird, especially since they offer a ripping service on most new CDs. Buy the CD, download MP3s and receive the CD 2 days later with Prime.

Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Sun Apr 17 16:12:03 2016
    Re: Re: MP3 more expensive than a CD?
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Sun Apr 17 2016 07:44 am

as well buy the CD and make your own MP3s from it. I tend to still prefer buying CDs over MP3 anyway (since MP3 is lossless, and I can
    rip the CD to MP3 myself).

I agree, except for one thing. MP3 is _lossy_, not lossless. If it was lossless, there would be no point buying the CD, you'd simply burn your own from the MP3. ;)

they have/had a lossless format of mp3 but i dont think it was widely adopted.

regarding the 2 different prices, it could be that it's just the way it is.
    one price didnt get lowered yet. also prices change on amazon all the time.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Allen Prunty on Sun Apr 17 16:12:59 2016
    By: Allen Prunty to Nightfox on Sun Apr 17 2016 01:05 am

Actually MP3 is Lossy and the CD has full fidelity. MP3 removes sounds
    from the inaudable sound spectrum.

http://www.cnet.com/news/mp3hd-new-lossless-mp3-format-explained/#!

the website hosting it is not serving it anymore but you can get mp3hd toolkit or the original file in many places.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Mro on Mon Apr 18 11:16:00 2016
    Mro wrote to Vk3jed <=-

they have/had a lossless format of mp3 but i dont think it was widely adopted.

Never heard of a lossless MP3, though I know of a number of lossless audio formats, of which I seem to encounter FLAC the most often.

regarding the 2 different prices, it could be that it's just the way it is. one price didnt get lowered yet. also prices change on amazon all
    the time.

Yeah, who knows? :)

... Don't argue with he who buys ink by the gallon.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Mro on Mon Apr 18 11:29:00 2016
    Mro wrote to Allen Prunty <=-

http://www.cnet.com/news/mp3hd-new-lossless-mp3-format-explained/#!

I hadn't heard of that one before. I normally use FLAC if I want lossless compression (of audio).

... Every action has an equal and opposite government program
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Sun Apr 17 18:52:31 2016
    Re: Re: MP3 more expensive than a CD?
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Sun Apr 17 2016 07:44:00

I'm wondering why it would be more expensive in MP3 format,
    considering

Sounds like charging for convenience. Considering that not only is there no physical media, but you don't need people to pack, label and dispatch them too, it sounds like a rip off (pardon the pun).

Charging for convenience seems a little strange in this case.. Downloadable formats are very popular, so I'd think they would benefit from a sort of economy of scale - If many people want music in that format, I'd think it shouldn't have to be that expensive (more so than a physical format). Basically a case of supply and demand.

there is no physical media to produce and ship. I'd think you might
    as well buy the CD and make your own MP3s from it. I tend to still
    prefer buying CDs over MP3 anyway (since MP3 is lossless, and I can
    rip the CD to MP3 myself).

That's exactly what I was saying.. MP3 is lossy and CD is not, so I feel like I might as well buy the CD. I can convert it to MP3 myself if I want.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Allen Prunty on Sun Apr 17 18:53:21 2016
    By: Allen Prunty to Nightfox on Sun Apr 17 2016 01:05:46

Enya/dp/B0168KQSNI/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2 I'm wondering why it would be
    more expensive in MP3 format, considering there is no physical media
    to produce and ship. I'd think you might as well buy the CD and make
    your own MP3s from it. I tend to still prefer buying CDs over MP3
    anyway (since MP3 is lossless, and I can rip the CD to MP3 myself).

Actually MP3 is Lossy and the CD has full fidelity. MP3 removes sounds from the inaudable sound spectrum.

Yes, that's what I was saying, MP3 is lossy and CD is not.. I feel like I might as well buy the CD since it's cheaper, and I can convert it to MP3 myself if I want.

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Mon Apr 18 16:51:00 2016
    Nightfox wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Charging for convenience seems a little strange in this case.. Downloadable formats are very popular, so I'd think they would benefit from a sort of economy of scale - If many people want music in that format, I'd think it shouldn't have to be that expensive (more so than
    a physical format). Basically a case of supply and demand.

Well, supply is almost infinite. :)

That's exactly what I was saying.. MP3 is lossy and CD is not, so I
    feel like I might as well buy the CD. I can convert it to MP3 myself
    if I want.

I agree totally, nothing wrong with DIY, if it saves a buck. :)

... He does the work of 3 Men...Moe, Larry & Curly
  • From tbirdsradio@VERT/TBIRDS to Nightfox on Mon Apr 18 14:59:23 2016
    I came across Enya's latest album on Amazon, and I noticed
    they charge more it in MP3 format than for the CD: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sky-Island-Enya/dp/B0168KQSNI/ref=
    sr_1_1_twi_aud_ I'm wondering why it would be more expensive

Because they wanna stick it Enya? <BG>

Perhaps it's a digital booklet cost ?

-TBird's Radio Network - Great Music, Great Radio! www.tbirdsradio.com

... "Cures For Impotence." -- By Hugh G. Rection.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ´ TBIRDS BBS ´ telnet://tbirds.dyndns.org
  • From Knight@VERT/PHUNC to Nightfox on Fri Apr 22 18:17:06 2016

I came across Enya's latest album on Amazon, and I noticed they charge more for it in MP3 format than for the CD: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sky-Island- Enya/dp/B0168KQSNI/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2 I'm wondering why it would be more expensive in MP3 format, considering there is no physical media to produce and ship. I'd think you might as well buy the CD and make your own MP3s from it. I tend to still prefer buying CDs over MP3 anyway (since MP3 is lossless, and I can rip the CD to MP3 myself).

Probably since the majority of the market has moved to streaming and mp3/etc, they want to recoup some of their losses.

But this is just another example of how consumers are not seeing the value/benefit from the advances in technology.

Knight

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Phunc BBS -- Back from the dead! -- telnet to bbs.phunc.com