• Computer History Museum

From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to All on Mon Mar 13 15:51:06 2017
    I took my son to the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA yesterday. We did the docent-led tour this time, and we had a great guide. He'd obviously worked in the valley in the early years and brought a nice perspective to
    the exhibits.

They had some pieces of ENIAC and UNIVAC, a room full of midrange computers, including some of the ones I worked on early on in school and in my career (A VAX 11/780, Prime 300, Microdata Reality and PDP-11 stood out)

My son liked the Apple I with "Woz" written in sharpie on the wooden case. I liked some of the early micros. I wish more of them were running.

He was impressed by the Xerox Alto, showing the WIMP interface long before Apple did it in the marketplace, and the last exhibit, an IBM 1401 computer room with raised floors, row of mag tape readers, line printers, paper TTYs, and photos of a team of a dozen people who ran the system. Realizing that computers needed a team of people to manage them 24/7 was shocking to him.

I mentioned that the primary way people interacted with the system was through paper reports. People didn't have computers at their desk, so most companies ran print jobs overnight after crunching sales numbers for the day, and had them waiting on their desk in the morning - and that printing reports was usually one person's job - that's all they did all day.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Mar 13 23:13:05 2017

I mentioned that the primary way people interacted with the system was through paper reports. People didn't have computers at their desk, so most companies ran print jobs overnight after crunching sales numbers for the day, and had them waiting on their desk in the morning - and that printing reports was usually one person's job - that's all they did all day.

It changed so much over a few years.

---
    þ Synchronet þ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - http://mtlgeek.com/ -
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Mar 15 00:55:00 2017
    I mentioned that the primary way people interacted with the system was through paper reports. People didn't have computers at their desk, so
    most companies ran print jobs overnight after crunching sales numbers
    for the day, and had them waiting on their desk in the morning - and
    that printing reports was usually one person's job - that's all they
    did all day.

I worked somewhere from 1994-1996 and that was still how it was there. We
    had an AS-400 and a "Baby 36" PC system that we ran them off of. I was the
    day person, while someone else ran the nightlies.

... 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
    --- MultiMail/IBMPcDos v0.43
    þ Synchronet þ CCO BBS * capcity2.synchro.net * 1-502-875-8938
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Wed Mar 15 02:21:33 2017
    Re: Computer History Museum
    By: Dumas Walker to Poindexter Fortran on Tue Mar 14 2017 05:55 pm

as400 is fucking awesome. i wish we went back to it at my job.
    i'm stuck with jdedwards.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Dumas Walker on Wed Mar 15 15:57:35 2017
    I worked somewhere from 1994-1996 and that was still how it was there. We had an AS-400 and a "Baby 36" PC system that we ran them off of. I was the day person, while someone else ran the nightlies.

I'm a consultant who work in banking and a lot of our customers (banks) are still using mainframes and as/400 . Sure new stuff are developed with newer technologies but legacy stuff still run on theses.

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Ennev on Thu Mar 16 01:32:00 2017
    I worked somewhere from 1994-1996 and that was still how it was there. We had an AS-400 and a "Baby 36" PC system that we ran them off of. I was the day person, while someone else ran the nightlies.
    I'm a consultant who work in banking and a lot of our customers (banks) are still using mainframes and as/400 . Sure new stuff are developed
    with newer technologies but legacy stuff still run on theses.

Oh, I wasn't "mocking" the AS/400, rather the part about most people not having a PC and getting all their info from the reports that others ran and left for them to have first thing in the morning. I was saying we were doing that in the 1990's, using the AS/400 instead of the huge, tape-driven machines. :)

I actually work with a mainframe (and COBOL) on a daily basis. But it is not
    a world of printed reports and few terminals. It is still a lot of green screens, but it is screens and online reports. Other systems use "modern" front-ends and UIs, but still have the mainframe back-ends.

... Computer Hacker wanted. Must have own axe.
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Mro on Thu Mar 16 01:36:00 2017
    as400 is fucking awesome. i wish we went back to it at my job.
    i'm stuck with jdedwards.

I did not get to use it as much as the "Baby 36." I would prefer either, as well as the mainframe I interface with now, over the oracle stuff.

... DalekDOS v(overflow): (I)Obey (V)ision impaired (E)xterminate
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Dumas Walker on Thu Mar 16 22:54:27 2017
    I actually work with a mainframe (and COBOL) on a daily basis. But it is not a world of printed reports and few terminals. It is still a lot of green screens, but it is screens and online reports. Other systems use "modern" front-ends and UIs, but still have the mainframe back-ends.

Yes, what we use here is more like the later, where the mainframe is at the back and users are on pc's with front end. Some developer would use terminal software to connect to the as/400 and older system. Mainframe mainly generate extract that are loaded with etl on modern database serve to serve bi apps for reporting etc.

---
  • From Knightmare@VERT/P99BBS to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Apr 29 15:55:41 2017
    By: Poindexter Fortran to All on Mon Mar 13 2017 08:51 am

When I went - some time ago, I reached over and touched an IMP. I thought I was gonna get kicked out. It was amazing to actually touch a peice of history.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Precinct 99 - p99bbs.homenet.org:2323 - Lewis Center, OH USA
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Knightmare on Tue May 9 15:32:03 2017
    By: Knightmare to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Apr 29 2017 08:55 am

When I went - some time ago, I reached over and touched an IMP. I thought I was gonna get kicked out. It was amazing to actually touch a peice of history.

Been watching videos of the restored PDP-1 (DEC, Programmable Data Processor-1). Some amazing stuff there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyDZjEcCgaI

(Bill Gates story...)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFLMuC5iTyc

... Every revolutionary ends up either by becoming an oppressor or a heretic.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com (Port 2323 for Nethack)
  • From Weatherman@VERT/PHARCYDE to Ennev on Sun Sep 3 18:31:15 2017
    I'm a consultant who work in banking and a lot of our customers (banks)
    are still using mainframes and as/400 . Sure new stuff are developed with newer technologies but legacy stuff still run on theses.

Same with hospitals. Many still use the AS/400 and mainframe. Even VAX/VMS.

Our mainframe will be going away in the next year or two, but there are not current plans to replace the AS/400 or VAX/VMS system.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
    * Origin: http://www.weather-station.org * Bel Air, MD -USA (723:1/100.0)
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Weatherman on Sun Sep 10 15:21:31 2017
    Re: Re: Computer History Museum
    By: Weatherman to Ennev on Sun Sep 03 2017 11:31 am

Same with hospitals. Many still use the AS/400 and mainframe. Even VAX/VMS.

Our mainframe will be going away in the next year or two, but there are not current plans to replace the AS/400 or VAX/VMS system.

I haven't worked on an AS/400 in years, but remember that they ran the web services for one of the olympics; they run their own RDBMS, can virtualize hardware nicely and they've been in development for ~30 years.

I bet most big retail shops are still running their back end processes on AS/400s.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org