• Star Trek Discovery

From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to All on Wed Sep 27 19:40:38 2017
    Any impressions ?

I'll watch it, but not confortable with the jj abram look of it all, hard to see it as a prequel.

---
    þ Synchronet þ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - http://mtlgeek.com/ -
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ennev on Wed Sep 27 19:43:45 2017
    Re: Star Trek Discovery
    By: Ennev to All on Wed Sep 27 2017 12:40 pm

Any impressions ?

I'll watch it, but not confortable with the jj abram look of it all, hard to see it as a prequel.

I didn't realize the premiere had aired on Sunday, so I missed it. I might have to find an alternate way to watch it.

A similar complaint about the appearance was said about Star Trek: Enterprise back in 2001 also, that it looked too modern to be a prequel. I can agree with that, but at the same time, I think modern technology plays a part in that. Naturally it might look a bit more modern due to the production. Perhaps they could put more effort into making it look pre-TOS, but on the other hand, I think technology is progressing faster in some ways than TOS had predicted. For instance, in TOS, they used communicators that seem to be only for audio communication, whereas now we already have smartphones that can do so much more.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Ennev on Wed Sep 27 23:15:13 2017

Any impressions ?

it's pretty bad and soul less.
    orville is good, kinda.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Wed Sep 27 23:16:22 2017
    By: Nightfox to Ennev on Wed Sep 27 2017 12:43 pm

I didn't realize the premiere had aired on Sunday, so I missed it. I might have to find an alternate way to watch it.

A similar complaint about the appearance was said about Star Trek: Enterprise back in 2001 also, that it looked too modern to be a prequel. I can agree with that, but at the same time, I think modern technology plays a part in that. Naturally it might look a bit more modern due to the

i didnt know it was a prequel. yes, it's way too advanced looking for that.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Nightfox on Thu Sep 28 00:16:52 2017
    A similar complaint about the appearance was said about Star Trek: Enterprise back in 2001 also, that it looked too modern to be a prequel. I can agree with that, but at the same time, I think modern technology plays
    a part in that. Naturally it might look a bit more modern due to the production. Perhaps they could put more effort into making it look
    pre-TOS, but on the other hand, I think technology is progressing faster in some ways than TOS had predicted. For instance, in TOS, they used communicators that seem to be only for audio communication, whereas now we already have smartphones that can do so much more.

I kind of agree with you in a sense, it has to look like it's from our future.

Maybe it's just that space battles look more like starters pew-pew effect that the kind of phasers we where used to even in the recent tng movies and enterprise.

It really took the JJ Abram kind of "universe" even it's it supposed to be a non-kelvin universe set in the original timeline.

Don't have a problem with Klingon look too, the budgets got better that all. But theirs tech look so much advance vs the federation where in the original tech was more on par. Maybe it just look advance but it's not. I guess we see during the rest of the season.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Ennev on Wed Sep 27 22:19:40 2017

I'll watch it and wonder how badly a full movie version of Axanar would kick its' ass.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Wed Sep 27 22:39:54 2017
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Wed Sep 27 2017 04:16 pm

i didnt know it was a prequel. yes, it's way too advanced looking for that.

Yes, Star Trek: Discovery takes place before the original series (but after the events of Enterprise, I believe).

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ennev on Wed Sep 27 22:43:25 2017
    Re: Re: Star Trek Discovery
    By: Ennev to Nightfox on Wed Sep 27 2017 05:16 pm

Don't have a problem with Klingon look too, the budgets got better that all. But theirs tech look so much advance vs the federation where in the original tech was more on par. Maybe it just look advance but it's not. I guess we see during the rest of the season.

I've seen the debate about the Klingons in Discovery. I haven't seen it yet though, so I'm not sure what to think yet. However I'd think there should be some kind of continuity with the original series, because Discovery is supposed to take place before the original series (I think it's set 10-20 years before the original series?). I'd think that would mean Klingons without the forehead ridges, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't judge it yet.. Enterprise explained the different look of the Klingons as due to genetic experimentation.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ennev on Wed Sep 27 22:48:39 2017

As a follow-up to my previous messages - I'm getting a bit tired of prequels. I'd like to see a new Star Trek series or movie that takes place either after TNG/DS9/Voyager or between the original series and Next Generation. There's about 70 years between the original series and the next generation, and it would be interesting to see something that fills a bit of that gap. We only saw the Enterprise B and C once in an official Star Trek production, and I think it would be interesting to see a TV series or some movies that center around those crews.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Thu Sep 28 04:14:26 2017
    By: Nightfox to Ennev on Wed Sep 27 2017 03:48 pm

As a follow-up to my previous messages - I'm getting a bit tired of prequels. I'd like to see a new Star Trek series or movie that takes place either after TNG/DS9/Voyager or between the original series and Next Generation. There's about 70 years between the original series and the next generation, and it would be interesting to see something that fills a bit of that gap. We only saw the Enterprise B and C once in an official Star Trek production, and I think it would be interesting to see a TV series or some movies that center around those crews.

it would be nice if they could come up with something new and original. they just cant. so they do prequels

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Ennev on Thu Sep 28 16:35:00 2017
    Ennev wrote to All <=-

@VIA: VERT/MTLGEEK
    @TZ: c12c
    Any impressions ?

I'll watch it, but not confortable with the jj abram look of it all,
    hard to see it as a prequel.

Given that it's been over 50 years in the real rowld (1966 - 2017), TV production technology has advanced dramatically, as has everyday technology (like the "communicators" we all carry around. So it is rather hard to do a prequel that both bits the timeline, visually speaking, and doesn't look out of place today. I enjoyed the show (we get on Netflix over here), and am looking forward to seeing how the events tie in with the overall Star Trek (prime) timeline.

... Luxuriantly hand-crafted from only the finest ASCII.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS in Bendigo, Australia.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Thu Sep 28 16:36:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Ennev <=-

orville is good, kinda.

I'm enjoying Orville, that's not a bad show.

... Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Ennev on Thu Sep 28 16:52:00 2017
    Ennev wrote to Nightfox <=-

I kind of agree with you in a sense, it has to look like it's from our future.

All made harder by our own rapid advance in technology over the last 50 years, far in excess of what was anticipated.

It really took the JJ Abram kind of "universe" even it's it supposed to
    be a non-kelvin universe set in the original timeline.

It does have the J.J. Abrams look, but I'll see how the storyline develops.

Don't have a problem with Klingon look too, the budgets got better that all. But theirs tech look so much advance vs the federation where in
    the original tech was more on par. Maybe it just look advance but it's not. I guess we see during the rest of the season.

Klingons themselves look good, looking forward to seeing how things progress.

... Years of development: We finally got one to work.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Thu Sep 28 22:16:00 2017
    Nightfox wrote to Ennev <=-

As a follow-up to my previous messages - I'm getting a bit tired of prequels. I'd like to see a new Star Trek series or movie that takes
    place either after TNG/DS9/Voyager or between the original series and
    Next Generation. There's about 70 years between the original series
    and the next generation, and it would be interesting to see something
    that fills a bit of that gap. We only saw the Enterprise B and C once
    in an official Star Trek production, and I think it would be
    interesting to see a TV series or some movies that center around those crews.

Yes, a few things they could do:

1. Continue Enterprise, focus on the Romulan war (which would have started in season 5 or 6 had it continued), and how that led to the Federation.

2. So as you said above and do something with the Enterprise B or C

3. Go even further into the future, somehwere in the next few centuries issues such as managing time travel (well established by the 26th century, apparently) would crop up.

... Starting a new era in tagline lunacy!
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Thu Sep 28 16:09:19 2017
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Thu Sep 28 2017 03:16 pm

1. Continue Enterprise, focus on the Romulan war (which would have started in season 5 or 6 had it continued), and how that led to the Federation.

2. So as you said above and do something with the Enterprise B or C

3. Go even further into the future, somehwere in the next few centuries issues such as managing time travel (well established by the 26th century, apparently) would crop up.

Going further into the future would be interesting. But I wouldn't mind seeing more with the DS9 or Voyager crews - perhaps some movies. Even some more movies with the TNG crew would have been good. IMO Nemesis wasn't that great, and Insurrection was just okay, but perhaps they could have gotten some different writers. I did like First Contact and Generations (I know Generations generally has its criticisms, but I liked it).

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Fri Sep 29 14:45:00 2017
    Nightfox wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Going further into the future would be interesting. But I wouldn't

Would also solve the issue of having to make the ships look more hi tech to suit current audiences. :)

mind seeing more with the DS9 or Voyager crews - perhaps some movies.
    Even some more movies with the TNG crew would have been good. IMO

Yes, perhaps a post Voyager return scenario. based out of DS9, maybe even in the Gamma Quadrant with the Dominion now somewhat friendly towards the Federation (thanks to Odo) and under threat from some other species - either something the Federation has successfully dealt with before (e.g. Borg), or a powerful species who respond better to a more concilliatory approach than the Dominion normally take, maybe something like Species 8472 or similar, who did open dialogue with the Voyager crew. Just thinking out loud. :)

Nemesis wasn't that great, and Insurrection was just okay, but perhaps they could have gotten some different writers. I did like First
    Contact and Generations (I know Generations generally has its
    criticisms, but I liked it).

Yes, I liked First Contact the most of those 4 movies, but then again, it's hard to fail when the Borg are central characters. :) Didn't mind the others though.

... Never do card tricks for the group with whom you play poker.
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Thu Sep 28 23:00:14 2017
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Fri Sep 29 2017 07:45 am

Going further into the future would be interesting. But I wouldn't

Would also solve the issue of having to make the ships look more hi tech to suit current audiences. :)

That's true. Though I think we've seen so little of the Enterprise B and C time periods that it could possibly be made to look sufficiently high-tech to satisfy audiences.
    That reminds me, one thing I thought was silly about the movie Star Trek V (The Final Frontier) was it seemed they were trying to make the Enterprise-A look almost as futuristic as the Enterprise D, with the smooth flat touch panels and hallway corridors etc. (although I think the refit Enterprise in The Motion Picture also had similar hallways).

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Fri Sep 29 18:04:00 2017

That's true. Though I think we've seen so little of the Enterprise B
    and C time periods that it could possibly be made to look sufficiently high-tech to satisfy audiences.

True, especially the C.

That reminds me, one thing I thought was silly about the movie Star
    Trek V (The Final Frontier) was it seemed they were trying to make the Enterprise-A look almost as futuristic as the Enterprise D, with the smooth flat touch panels and hallway corridors etc. (although I think
    the refit Enterprise in The Motion Picture also had similar hallways).

Yes, the refit was a big hi tech upgrade to the TOS Enterprise. I thought the Enterprise-A was meant to be pretty similar to the refit.

... Don't Panic! It's only ones and zeros.
  • From The Navigator@VERT/STARFLT to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Sep 29 05:23:03 2017
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Ennev on Wed Sep 27 2017 03:19 pm

I'll watch it and wonder how badly a full movie version of Axanar would kick its' ass.

Amen. That would be badass.

---
    þ Synchronet þ StarFlight BBS - bbs.starflightbbs.com
  • From The Navigator@VERT/STARFLT to MRO on Fri Sep 29 05:28:27 2017
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Wed Sep 27 2017 09:14 pm

it would be nice if they could come up with something new and original. they just cant. so they do prequels

I think that Discovery would have been a much better show if it had started 70-100 years after TNG/DS9/Voyager.

But that would have required imagination, experimentation, and potential for failure.

They wouldn't want to do that. Let's face it. The real reason Discovery is on CBS All Access is because they thought it would fail if they put it on regular TV.

And sadly, they're probably right. However there seem to be enough people willing to cough up $5.99/$9.99 per month to warrant putting it on streaming only.

Time will tell if it was worth the wait or not.

---
    þ Synchronet þ StarFlight BBS - bbs.starflightbbs.com
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Ennev on Fri Sep 29 17:13:59 2017

Any impressions ?

I'm willing to suspend disbelief on the production values.

But I had a harder time with some of the plot bits: The captain and first officer alone performing a mission on a planet; having to send a single person in a space suit to investigate the weird object (surely they have small probes); and the end of episode 1 (avoiding spoilers).

I liked the general feel of the first two episodes, I think there's promise. But it hasn't yet risen to more than the sum of its parts.

As far as the Klingons, no, I don't like the look. Too much like the "Uruk-hai" in the Lord of the Rings (similar to how the Remans from Nemesis were very similar to LOTR orcs). The prosthetics are also interfering with their speech. It's really muffled.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Navigator on Fri Sep 29 16:24:06 2017
    By: The Navigator to MRO on Thu Sep 28 2017 10:28 pm

I think that Discovery would have been a much better show if it had started 70-100 years after TNG/DS9/Voyager.

They already skipped about 70 years between TOS and TNG, and now I'm curious to see more of that time period in between. I'd rather they not skip large periods of time again..

They wouldn't want to do that. Let's face it. The real reason Discovery is on CBS All Access is because they thought it would fail if they put it on regular TV.

And sadly, they're probably right. However there seem to be enough people willing to cough up $5.99/$9.99 per month to warrant putting it on streaming only.

I'm not sure.. I feel like it's the opposite, that there probably aren't enough people willing to subscribe to yet another streaming service for just one show. I've seen a lot of comments online to that effect. I'd like to watch it but I'd rather not add another monthly fee on top of what I already have. I already dropped basic table TV service a couple years ago in favor of online streaming services (Amazon Prime and Netflix); the whole point was to save money. So I'm just not really willing to subscribe to yet another service for just one show. I've heard Netflix is carrying Discovery outside the US.. Would be nice if they'd carry it in the US too.

Maybe I'll just go watch The Orville..

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Kirkman on Fri Sep 29 16:26:38 2017
    By: Kirkman to Ennev on Fri Sep 29 2017 10:13 am

But I had a harder time with some of the plot bits: The captain and first officer alone performing a mission on a planet; having to send a single person in a space suit to investigate the weird object (surely they have small probes); and the end of episode 1 (avoiding spoilers).

Yeah, it seemed a bit odd for the captain & first officer to be away on a mission. Shouldn't the captain stay on the ship where it's safer? TNG did have the first officer going away on missions too though..

As far as the Klingons, no, I don't like the look. Too much like the "Uruk-hai" in the Lord of the Rings (similar to how the Remans from Nemesis were very similar to LOTR orcs). The prosthetics are also interfering with their speech. It's really muffled.

Yeah, I don't think the look of the Klingons in Discovery fit into the timeline. The TOS Klingons looked more human, and since Discovery takes place about 10 years before TOS, they should look more like the TOS Klingons at that point in time.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Kirkman on Sat Sep 30 00:24:45 2017
    By: Kirkman to Ennev on Fri Sep 29 2017 10:13 am

yeah, really. lets risk the most important people instead of the red shirt guys.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Sat Sep 30 15:36:00 2017
    Nightfox wrote to The Navigator <=-

I'm not sure.. I feel like it's the opposite, that there probably
    aren't enough people willing to subscribe to yet another streaming
    service for just one show. I've seen a lot of comments online to that effect. I'd like to watch it but I'd rather not add another monthly

This is what I was concerned about for US audiences. I'm in Australia, and we get a better deal, because Discovery airs on Netflix down here, and I'm already a Netflix subscriber (knowing Discovery was coming to Netflix did tip me over the edge :) ). I think CBS trying to use Discovery to push their own streaming service could backfire, either through increased piracy or reduced viewer numbers

fee on top of what I already have. I already dropped basic table TV service a couple years ago in favor of online streaming services
    (Amazon Prime and Netflix); the whole point was to save money. So I'm just not really willing to subscribe to yet another service for just
    one show. I've heard Netflix is carrying Discovery outside the US..
    Would be nice if they'd carry it in the US too.

This is the evil of the entertainment industry, chasing the almighty buck at all costs. They wonder why piracy is so high, yet pull these stunts on their customers. It's a bit of a reversal in that usually Australia is on the worse end of the bargain (and surprise, surprise, piracy rates here are among the highest in the world!), but in the case of Discovery, we get it on Netflix, which is already very popular over here. I suspect we'll see little piracy of Discovery in Australia, since people will simply watch it on Netflix. :)

Can't go wrong there. :)

... All those updates, and still imperfect!!!
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Sat Sep 30 15:37:00 2017
    Nightfox wrote to Kirkman <=-

Yeah, I don't think the look of the Klingons in Discovery fit into the timeline. The TOS Klingons looked more human, and since Discovery
    takes place about 10 years before TOS, they should look more like the
    TOS Klingons at that point in time.

Especially since Enterprise did explain why the TOS klingons looked so human.

... Weeds! No, that is my vineyard! Ever heard of dandelion wine?
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sat Sep 30 00:11:02 2017
    By: MRO to Kirkman on Fri Sep 29 2017 05:24 pm

yeah, really. lets risk the most important people instead of the red shirt guys.

In The Next Generation, there were many episodes where Riker (the 1st officer) went on away missions. It doesn't really make much sense to send such an important officer when you think about it. Captain Picard usually stayed on the ship though, except for a couple rare missions (from what I recall).

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Sat Sep 30 02:15:24 2017
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Sat Sep 30 2017 08:37 am

Nightfox wrote to Kirkman <=-

Yeah, I don't think the look of the Klingons in Discovery fit into the timeline. The TOS Klingons looked more human, and since Discovery takes place about 10 years before TOS, they should look more like the TOS Klingons at that point in time.

i thought the story was that they looked 'human' back in TOS, then there was some type of genetic disease that 'they dont talk about' that made them look like tng klingon

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Vk3jed on Sat Sep 30 04:27:23 2017
    Yes, perhaps a post Voyager return scenario. based out of DS9, maybe even
    in the Gamma Quadrant with the Dominion now somewhat friendly towards the Federation (thanks to Odo) and under threat from some other species -
    either something the Federation has successfully dealt with before (e.g. Borg), or a powerful species who respond better to a more concilliatory approach than the Dominion normally take, maybe something like Species 8472 or similar, who did open dialogue with the Voyager crew. Just thinking out loud. :)

Yes, I don't understand why recent attempt to revive Star Trek are prequel,
    why just not continue with the timeline as it was with tng, ds9, voyager.

Yes, I liked First Contact the most of those 4 movies, but then again, it's hard to fail when the Borg are central characters. :) Didn't mind the others though.

Maybe they just have to admit to themselves that Star Trek don't really translate to movies. 2 hrs movies every 2 years it's kind of hard to make stories where you develop characters and intrigue.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to The Navigator on Sat Sep 30 04:28:59 2017

Amen. That would be badass.

I second that motion !

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Kirkman on Sat Sep 30 04:31:49 2017

You know what stroke me the most ? How slow they where talking klingon, in movie and in the past tv series the rate of speach is so much faster and yet i'm not fluent in klingon but did catch words here and there and it look like it's the same. So i don't know why? Actors don't really master it? Make it simpliers for the geek to catch it? Was weird.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Nightfox on Sat Sep 30 04:33:29 2017

I'm not sure.. I feel like it's the opposite, that there probably aren't enough people willing to subscribe to yet another streaming service for
    just one show. I've seen a lot of comments online to that effect. I'd
    like to watch it but I'd rather not add another monthly fee on top of what
    I already have. I already dropped basic table TV service a couple years
    ago in favor of online streaming services (Amazon Prime and Netflix); the whole point was to save money. So I'm just not really willing to subscribe to yet another service for just one show. I've heard Netflix is carrying Discovery outside the US.. Would be nice if they'd carry it in the US too.

myself i just feel lucky, it's on Space channel, so I already had this channel for Doctor Who, so I see it has a freebie!

Love the Orville, was skeptical, but i love it.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Nightfox on Sat Sep 30 04:34:52 2017
    Yeah, it seemed a bit odd for the captain & first officer to be away on a mission. Shouldn't the captain stay on the ship where it's safer? TNG did have the first officer going away on missions too though..

Kirk was also very adventurous, i guess they established that rule after the original series, been losing more captains than red shirts.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Vk3jed on Sat Sep 30 04:36:48 2017

True, they did find such an elegant way to explain it all, now it's all ruined :-(

That's was a good way to prequel stuff.

Was also fun in DS9 when Worf didn't want to explain it to Dax :-D

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Sat Sep 30 19:01:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

i thought the story was that they looked 'human' back in TOS, then
    there was some type of genetic disease that 'they dont talk about' that made them look like tng klingon

Was the other way around. They normally look like they did in TNG and Enterprise, but when the attempt to use human augment DNA during the time of Enterprise went wrong, many Klingons looked more human for a while (including during TOS).

... Ignorance is the mother of research.
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sat Sep 30 05:12:57 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Sep 29 2017 05:11 pm

By: MRO to Kirkman on Fri Sep 29 2017 05:24 pm

In The Next Generation, there were many episodes where Riker (the 1st officer) went on away missions. It doesn't really make much sense to send such an important officer when you think about it. Captain Picard usually stayed on the ship though, except for a couple rare missions (from what I recall).

i guess it was more of a plot device than something that makes sense. i dont think they'd launch riker out into space in a suit, though.

also maybe they were sick of riker spending all that time in the holodeck with his naked volleyball program

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Ennev on Sat Sep 30 05:14:21 2017
    By: Ennev to Nightfox on Fri Sep 29 2017 09:33 pm

myself i just feel lucky, it's on Space channel, so I already had this channel for Doctor Who, so I see it has a freebie!

i just download it, then dont watch the whole thing.

yeah i like it. it has the right mix of comedy and space entertainment

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Sat Sep 30 05:15:21 2017
    By: Vk3jed to MRO on Sat Sep 30 2017 12:01 pm

MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

i thought the story was that they looked 'human' back in TOS, then there was some type of genetic disease that 'they dont talk about' that made them look like tng klingon

Was the other way around. They normally look like they did in TNG and Enterprise, but when the attempt to use human augment DNA during the time of Enterprise went wrong, many Klingons looked more human for a while (including during TOS).

ah, i dont like that explaination. i prefer the next generation explaination

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to MRO on Sat Sep 30 07:42:17 2017
    ah, i dont like that explaination. i prefer the next generation
    explaination

What was the next generation explanation ?

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Ennev on Sun Oct 1 04:39:00 2017
    Ennev wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Yes, I don't understand why recent attempt to revive Star Trek are prequel, why just not continue with the timeline as it was with tng,
    ds9, voyager.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Maybe they just have to admit to themselves that Star Trek don't really translate to movies. 2 hrs movies every 2 years it's kind of hard to
    make stories where you develop characters and intrigue.

True, Trek works best as a series, where plotlines can develop over a period of time.

... [COUPON] Good for one FREE Tagline! [COUPON]
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Ennev on Sun Oct 1 04:43:00 2017
    Ennev wrote to Vk3jed <=-

True, they did find such an elegant way to explain it all, now it's all ruined :-(

Yeah, a pity

That's was a good way to prequel stuff.

Was also fun in DS9 when Worf didn't want to explain it to Dax :-D

Yes, the Klingon issue was well done in both ENT and DS9.

... I don't trust trees, they just seem a bit shady.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Ennev on Sun Oct 1 04:55:00 2017

Here, we get Dr Who on free to air. ABC always screens Dr Who, they have since the early days. :)

I approached it with an open mind, but love the show now.

... Heisenberg may have slept here.
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Nightfox on Sat Sep 30 16:01:10 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Sep 29 2017 05:11 pm

So, this was actually a direct response to TOS, where Kirk, Spock,
    and McCoy were often on away missions together. Obviously that makes no sense, because aliens could capture them all, hold them for ransom, etc.

This is also one of the big plot holes in "Wrath of Khan". Why are the captain and first officer the lone two officers sent down to Ceti Alpha V to investigate the "minor energy flux reading"?

From a dramatic standpoint, it's understandable: you want your leads involved in the action. But it strains the audience's willingness to suspend disbelief.

In TNG Roddenberry made it more realistic. The captain generally stays safe on the Enterprise in his ready room, and the first officer leads away teams and handles the day-to-day, nitty-gritty stuff.

(But even then, TNG writers would sometimes make up excuses to get Picard into dramatic situations, like his experience with "theta-band carrier waves" which prompted Starfleet to make him lead a covert operation in "Chain of Command", part 2 of which is one of the best TNG episodes. I always thought the covert operation part was kind of dumb.)

--Josh

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to MRO on Sat Sep 30 16:09:22 2017
    By: MRO to Vk3jed on Fri Sep 29 2017 07:15 pm

I believe you're thinking of the DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations" episode, where Odo and company quiz Worf about the appearance of the TOS Klingons. Each one throws out a different theory, but Worf doesn't confirm any of them. He just says "We don't talk about it," basically.

But Enterprise later had a multi-episode arc involving Arik Soong and the Khan-style Augments, and a later two-part arc following up, that attempted to explain the Klingons change of appearance as the result of a virus.

--Josh

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sat Sep 30 23:03:08 2017
    By: MRO to Vk3jed on Fri Sep 29 2017 10:15 pm

Was the other way around. They normally look like they did in TNG and
    Enterprise, but when the attempt to use human augment DNA during the
    time of Enterprise went wrong, many Klingons looked more human for a
    while (including during TOS).

I don't remember The Next Generation ever addreasing why the Klingons
    looked different. Only the DS9 episode where Worf didn't want to talk about it, and genetic manipulation in Ennterprise.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Ennev on Sun Oct 1 00:53:06 2017
    By: Ennev to MRO on Sat Sep 30 2017 12:42 am

What was the next generation explanation ?

they looked fine before, then something happened that 'they dont talk about to other species' then i think it was type of genetic experiment or disease gone wrong that made them bumpy heads.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Sun Oct 1 00:53:31 2017
    By: Vk3jed to Ennev on Sat Sep 30 2017 09:39 pm

translate to movies. 2 hrs movies every 2 years it's kind of hard to make stories where you develop characters and intrigue.

True, Trek works best as a series, where plotlines can develop over a period of time.

those new startrek movies are pretty damn good though.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Kirkman on Sun Oct 1 01:01:14 2017
    By: Kirkman to MRO on Sat Sep 30 2017 09:09 am

But Enterprise later had a multi-episode arc involving Arik Soong and the Khan-style Augments, and a later two-part arc following up, that attempted to explain the Klingons change of appearance as the result of a virus.

i consider that a retcon since it was the enterprise show

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sun Oct 1 02:02:55 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Sat Sep 30 2017 04:03 pm

Was the other way around. They normally look like they did in TNG and
    Enterprise, but when the attempt to use human augment DNA during the
    time of Enterprise went wrong, many Klingons looked more human for a
    while (including during TOS).

I don't remember The Next Generation ever addreasing why the Klingons
    looked different. Only the DS9 episode where Worf didn't want to talk about it, and genetic manipulation in Ennterprise.

well i've got a pretty good memory for dumb shit and it stuck in there.
    i didnt watch the enterprise ep where it talked about klingons
    i'm pretty sure they were human like in appearance first, then something happened and they got the ridges.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sun Oct 1 06:48:05 2017
    well i've got a pretty good memory for dumb shit aI snd it stuck in there.
    i didnt watch the enterprise ep where it talked about klingons
    i'm pretty sure they were human like in appearance first, then something happened and they got the ridges.

Enterprise explained it as they had the ridfes originally and then they were doing genetic experiments with human DNA which removed their ridges for a while. They eventually got the ridges again. I don't remember the Next Generation talking about that (and I've watched the Next Gemeration several times) but I suppose maybe I just don't remember.

Nightfox

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Ennev on Sun Oct 1 05:52:23 2017

I enjoyed it, but Orville is a better show. STDs had the Klingons that I thought were pretty cool, and I love the phaser design (looks like Kirk era design), but after one episode I'm tired of hearing "Number One".

... Advertising is legalized lying.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com (Port 2323 for Nethack)
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sun Oct 1 16:39:17 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Sat Sep 30 2017 11:48 pm

well i've got a pretty good memory for dumb shit aI snd it stuck in there. i didnt watch the enterprise ep where it talked about klingons

Enterprise explained it as they had the ridfes originally and then they were doing genetic experiments with human DNA which removed their ridges for a while. They eventually got the ridges again. I don't remember the Next Generation talking about that (and I've watched the Next Gemeration several times) but I suppose maybe I just don't remember.

the eluded to it a few times in the next gen and deep space shows.

enterprise was almost like a retcon due to the time travel shit so i dont recogize it in this court!

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Mon Oct 2 15:04:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

First 2 were good as standalone movies. The messing with the timeline did spoil things a little, but as movies go they were good. The third one was OK, but it lacked something, it was more like a double length TV episode in feel.

... No user-serviceable parts inside (or outside).
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sun Oct 1 23:42:07 2017
    By: MRO to Vk3jed on Sat Sep 30 2017 05:53 pm

I think they're fun to watch, but they're part of the prequel/reboot craze which I'm getting a bit tired of. There are plenty of other things they can
    do with Star Trek that I'd rather see.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Mon Oct 2 02:25:39 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Sun Oct 01 2017 04:42 pm

By: MRO to Vk3jed on Sat Sep 30 2017 05:53 pm

I think they're fun to watch, but they're part of the prequel/reboot craze which I'm getting a bit tired of. There are plenty of other things they can do with Star Trek that I'd rather see.

Nightfox

they gave themself a lot of material to work with. they dont even have to do a federation related show. they could do a marquis show or anything.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Tue Oct 3 00:07:00 2017
    Nightfox wrote to MRO <=-

I think they're fun to watch, but they're part of the prequel/reboot
    craze which I'm getting a bit tired of. There are plenty of other
    things they can do with Star Trek that I'd rather see.

Yeah, I'm sick of all these reboots and remakes too. There's so much material ou there to put to the big screen. Finish the 2001 series (2061 and 3001 - both great books), many other shows. And for a TV series, I'd like to see something like Asimov's Foundation books turned into a TV series, or group of mini series, each miniseries focusing on a time period, then long seasons for the later books.

There's so much more material already out there that can be put into both movie and TV formats, we don't need all those reboots.

Another interesting source for a SF series would be the Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars).

... I need accurate, brief, and non-redundant information.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Tue Oct 3 00:12:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Nightfox <=-

I think they're fun to watch, but they're part of the prequel/reboot craze which I'm getting a bit tired of. There are plenty of other things they can do with Star Trek that I'd rather see.

The Marquis did end up annihilated by the Dominion (references in DS9 and Voyager). But I'd like to see something involving the Dominion. With the addition of Odo's experiences into the Great Link, the relationship between the Federation and the Dominion are likely to improve. Definitely potential there.

... Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Mon Oct 2 16:22:03 2017
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Sun Oct 01 2017 07:25 pm

I think they're fun to watch, but they're part of the prequel/reboot
    craze which I'm getting a bit tired of. There are plenty of other
    things they can do with Star Trek that I'd rather see.

they gave themself a lot of material to work with. they dont even have to do a federation related show. they could do a marquis show or anything.

Are you still referring to the new Star Trek movies, or the new Discovery show?

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Tue Oct 3 16:02:00 2017

Are you still referring to the new Star Trek movies, or the new
    Discovery show?

Thinking he was talking about where to take Trek in general.

After watching episode 3 of Discovery, all I can say is "Hrmmmmm". As a show, it was good, but not sure how they're going to work it into canon, and it's looking like it's taking a bit out of Frank Herbet's "Dune". Not going to say any more, because SPOILERS!. :)

... A triangle which has an angle of 135 degrees is called an obscene triangle --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Mon Oct 2 23:43:30 2017
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Tue Oct 03 2017 09:02 am

After watching episode 3 of Discovery, all I can say is "Hrmmmmm". As a show, it was good, but not sure how they're going to work it into canon, and it's looking like it's taking a bit out of Frank Herbet's "Dune". Not going to say any more, because SPOILERS!. :)

It's a bit difficult for me to watch Discovery now that it's only on CBS' streaming service, which I'm not subscribed to.. I could find ways to download it, but I'm not sure I'm excited to watch more of it, after the first 2 episodes.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Tue Oct 3 05:22:15 2017
    By: Vk3jed to MRO on Mon Oct 02 2017 05:12 pm

The Marquis did end up annihilated by the Dominion (references in DS9 and Voyager). But I'd like to see something involving the Dominion. With the

there were still some around. just not large groups. no idea how the cardassian situation is after ds9 ended, so dont know if the marquis are needed.

Voyager). But I'd like to see something involving the Dominion. With the addition of Odo's experiences into the Great Link, the relationship between the Federation and the Dominion are likely to improve. Definitely potential there.

yeah they missed out on a lot of stories with what went on in that quadrant of space.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Tue Oct 3 03:22:05 2017
    By: Nightfox to Ennev on Wed Sep 27 2017 03:48 pm

As a follow-up to my previous messages - I'm getting a bit tired of prequels. I'd like to see a new Star Trek series or movie that takes place either after TNG/DS9/Voyager or between the original series and Next Generation.

It would have been good timing to come out with a sequel back in the 2000s - with the actors getting older (except for Patrick Stewart, who's in a static warp bubble) they could portray themselves further on in their career.

I'd like to see Riker in command, see the change in his character as he moves to the center seat. The Federation was in dire straits after the dominion war, and Garak was one of the most entertaining characters on DS9 - would love to see what happened to him afterwards.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Nightfox on Tue Oct 3 14:36:15 2017
    Enterprise explained it as they had the ridfes originally and then they
    were doing genetic experiments with human DNA which removed their ridges
    for a while. They eventually got the ridges again. I don't remember the
    Next Generation talking about that (and I've watched the Next Gemeration several times) but I suppose maybe I just don't remember.

Your kind of close. Khan wasn't the only augment drifting in space. One ship was discovered by a Klingon ship. When they revived the crew they got overpowered by them. Imagine the shock. Klingons warrior been ass kicked by a couples of human. They realized they where genetically enhanced.

Seeing it as a "arm" race and a treat to the empire, they also decided to have augments too, but to save time because it would take years to develop they decided to short cut a bit they decided to extract some dna from the humans augments they managed to capture.

Of course it went wrong. Klingon augments would die quickly but worse the enhancement when viral and airborne. One of the side effect of the
    augmentation was the lost of ridge which was found to be shameful and a dishonour.

Doctor Phlox managed to make the new "desease" non lethal, but it would take a years for the ridge to reappear.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Tue Oct 3 16:35:10 2017
    By: Vk3jed to MRO on Mon Oct 02 2017 05:12 pm

The Marquis did end up annihilated by the Dominion (references in DS9 and

I used to always think it was "Marquis", but I learned the group is actually the "Maquis" (no 'r').

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Tue Oct 3 21:27:00 2017

It's a bit difficult for me to watch Discovery now that it's only on
    CBS' streaming service, which I'm not subscribed to.. I could find ways
    to download it, but I'm not sure I'm excited to watch more of it, after the first 2 episodes.

Yeah, at least we get it on Netflix down here.

... My computer has EMS... Won't you help?
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Wed Oct 4 15:07:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

there were still some around. just not large groups. no idea how the cardassian situation is after ds9 ended, so dont know if the marquis
    are needed.

Yeah, Cardassia was pretty much in ruins, at least 800 million dead, so anything could have happened politically after the war.

Voyager). But I'd like to see something involving the Dominion. With the addition of Odo's experiences into the Great Link, the relationship between the Federation and the Dominion are likely to improve. Definitely potential there.

yeah they missed out on a lot of stories with what went on in that quadrant of space.

Agree, I'd love to see Star Trek explore the changed relationship between the Federation and the Dominion. We have no idea how far Odo's influence actually went into the Link.

... Monday is a hard way to spend one-seventh of your life.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Wed Oct 4 15:08:00 2017

The Marquis did end up annihilated by the Dominion (references in DS9 and

I used to always think it was "Marquis", but I learned the group is actually the "Maquis" (no 'r').

Oops, that crept in. :D

... 82.6% of statistics are wrong...
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Oct 4 15:49:00 2017
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Nightfox <=-

I'd like to see Riker in command, see the change in his character as he moves to the center seat. The Federation was in dire straits after the dominion war, and Garak was one of the most entertaining characters on
    DS9 - would love to see what happened to him afterwards.

Yes, DS9 was fertile ground for a lot of new stories after the Dominion War, and Riker in command was long overdue for portrayal on TV. We've seen him develop as first officer, so the transition to captain would have been well worth exploring.

... Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought.
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Tue Oct 3 23:17:49 2017
    By: Vk3jed to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Oct 04 2017 08:49 am

Yes, DS9 was fertile ground for a lot of new stories after the Dominion War, and Riker in command was long overdue for portrayal on TV. We've seen him develop as first officer, so the transition to captain would have been well worth exploring.

I remember at least a couple times on TNG when Riker was asked why he hadn't accepted his own command yet when offered. Riker had always said he felt like it was a privilege to serve on the Enterprise or something to that effect. I figured they did that just to keep the cast of the show intact. :)

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Wed Oct 4 06:16:40 2017
    By: Vk3jed to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Oct 04 2017 08:49 am

poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Nightfox <=-

I'd like to see Riker in command, see the change in his character as he moves to the center seat. The Federation was in dire straits after the dominion war, and Garak was one of the most entertaining characters on DS9 - would love to see what happened to him afterwards.

with all this talk about startrek i download everything again. i have it on dvd but dont want to be bothered with the discs.

i think ds9 was the best startrek show for the most part.
    certainly the most human show

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Wed Oct 4 19:37:57 2017
    By: Nightfox to Vk3jed on Tue Oct 03 2017 04:17 pm

I remember at least a couple times on TNG when Riker was asked why he hadn't accepted his own command yet when offered. Riker had always said he felt like it was a privilege to serve on the Enterprise or something to that effect.

He was the Steve Young of Starfleet. Steve Young played backup QB for the 49ers behind Joe Montana and had to wait for his career to end before he could take over. He could have gone elsewhere, but he ended up leading the niners to more Super Bowls.

I suppose some might have a problem with being on the flagship of the fleet then taking command of an older, smaller, less capable ship.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Oct 5 00:28:37 2017
    I suppose some might have a problem with being on the flagship of the fleet then taking command of an older, smaller, less capable ship.

I don't know if they still have the book series on USS Titan. Thing is book
    are not cannon, but the way the franchise is driven theses day what is !

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Thu Oct 5 15:07:00 2017

I remember at least a couple times on TNG when Riker was asked why he hadn't accepted his own command yet when offered. Riker had always
    said he felt like it was a privilege to serve on the Enterprise or something to that effect. I figured they did that just to keep the
    cast of the show intact. :)

Yes, I recall those discussions on the show too. Riker would have made a great captain, with his experience under Picard.

... Through sneaky mind control tactics, marketeers have conned you again.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Thu Oct 5 15:10:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

with all this talk about startrek i download everything again. i have
    it on dvd but dont want to be bothered with the discs.

Yeah, if you have a media server, that's often the easiest way.

I like All of the Star Trek series, each for different reasons. DS9 was another show that got off to a slow start, but it really found its feet within a season or two. The latter seasons are ones I can watch over and over.

... An Elephant; A Mouse built to government specifications.
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Ennev on Thu Oct 5 13:21:07 2017
    By: Ennev to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Oct 04 2017 05:28 pm

I don't know if they still have the book series on USS Titan. Thing is book are not cannon, but the way the franchise is driven theses day what is !

I think they're still going - there's a podcast I listen to called Literary Treks, about Trek fiction authors and their books. They were talking about a Titan book that had another ship on the cover and wondered if it was a mixup.

It's canon enough that people know what the Titan looks like. :)

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Vk3jed on Thu Oct 5 13:22:13 2017
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Thu Oct 05 2017 08:07 am

Yes, I recall those discussions on the show too. Riker would have made a great captain, with his experience under Picard.

Right up until Riker took command of the Melbourne and Locutus blew them into space at Wolf 359.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Thu Oct 5 16:32:04 2017
    By: MRO to Vk3jed on Tue Oct 03 2017 11:16 pm

I was bummed when Jadzia was killed off. Ezri (her replacement) was only on the show for the last season, and I don't think that's much time to get to know a character.

I thought DS9 was pretty good, though I still feel like TNG was my favorite. The whole thing with the Bajoran religion and thir prophets on DS9 always seemed a little out there. And they thought Sisko was some kind of leader in their religion, from what I remember..

DS9 had quite a bit of story arc, which is a unique thing and was good for the show, but I also liked that TNG was more of a one-story-per-episode show where they could address a lot of different topics and themes on the show.

Nightfox

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Oct 5 19:03:52 2017
    It's canon enough that people know what the Titan looks like. :)

I've read a few simon schuster star trek book (SSSTB) a few years ago. Bought mostly TNG and corp of engineer stuff. But had few with Titan in it.

At some point they where a bit like Voyages where the shit is stuck in a
    nearby galaxy (Magelan cloud) is it not in orbit around our milky way?

But when i stopped the star trek book reading, the Borg where no more, starfleet has ship using quantum slipdrive. And Federation enemy formed a pact to try to take the federation since it's weak recovering from the Borg.

Was is nice it that in SSSTB is that they keep continuity between book. So if something happen in a TNG book it will have an influence on Titans book. So
    you don't have a situation when Picard would be dead in a book series and not in the others while it's happenning at the same stardate. No "alternative" timeline shit.

The only time stuff i'll except thoses that endup in boot strap paradox :-D

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 6 16:00:00 2017
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Right up until Riker took command of the Melbourne and Locutus blew
    them into space at Wolf 359.

Except he didn't. That was one of the commands he turned down. :P

... Direct from the Ministry of Silly Walks
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Fri Oct 6 16:18:00 2017

I was bummed when Jadzia was killed off. Ezri (her replacement) was
    only on the show for the last season, and I don't think that's much
    time to get to know a character.

Yeah, Ezri needed more time on screen (i.e. in a continuing series) to fully develop her character. Being joined without the proper training would be bound to cause complications, particularly psychological ones.

I thought DS9 was pretty good, though I still feel like TNG was my favorite. The whole thing with the Bajoran religion and thir prophets
    on DS9 always seemed a little out there. And they thought Sisko was
    some kind of leader in their religion, from what I remember..

There's pros and cons of episodic series versus strong story arcs. As for the Bajoran religion, it was interesting to see a religion that's actually based on a real presence - the Prophets being the aliens who inhabited the Bajoran Wormhole (AKA "Celestial Temple"). Sisko did turn out to be a child of the Prophets (revealed towards the end of DS9).

... OK Scotty, NOW! Detonate and energize! I mean.......
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Fri Oct 6 00:54:21 2017

he looked better when he didnt hit the all you can eat buffet every day

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Fri Oct 6 00:55:20 2017
    By: Vk3jed to MRO on Thu Oct 05 2017 08:10 am

I like All of the Star Trek series, each for different reasons. DS9 was another show that got off to a slow start, but it really found its feet within a season or two. The latter seasons are ones I can watch over and over.

also ds9 has 26 eps a year. some of these shows today bitch about getting 10 episodes shot!

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Oct 6 00:56:42 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Thu Oct 05 2017 09:32 am

I was bummed when Jadzia was killed off. Ezri (her replacement) was only on the show for the last season, and I don't think that's much time to get to know a character.

yeah, she didnt do a good job. i'm not sure why that actor left the show.

The whole thing with the Bajoran religion and thir prophets on DS9 always seemed a little out there. And they thought Sisko was some kind of leader in their religion, from what I remember..

it's because the wormhole aliens had no concept of time and he WAS a leader in the end. so that stuff was all factual.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Thu Oct 5 23:58:53 2017
    By: MRO to Vk3jed on Thu Oct 05 2017 05:54 pm

Yes, I recall those discussions on the show too. Riker would have
    made a great captain, with his experience under Picard.

YOLO.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Fri Oct 6 00:03:20 2017
    By: MRO to Vk3jed on Thu Oct 05 2017 05:55 pm

also ds9 has 26 eps a year. some of these shows today bitch about getting 10 episodes shot!

I think most shows back then had around that many episodes per year. TNG season 2 was a little shorter - I heard there was a writer's strike that year which may have contributed to that.

Also, it seemed like many shows back in the day ran for 7 seasons and sometimes more. These days, it seems that shows get canceled earlier more often. IMO Star Trek: Enterprise could have probably gone on for a few more seasons if they hadn't canceled it. I thought its season 3 was not so great but it was getting better again with season 4.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Oct 6 05:22:11 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Thu Oct 05 2017 04:58 pm

By: MRO to Vk3jed on Thu Oct 05 2017 05:54 pm

YOLO.

also, i looked better when i didnt do that

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Oct 6 05:23:36 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Thu Oct 05 2017 05:03 pm

Also, it seemed like many shows back in the day ran for 7 seasons and sometimes more. These days, it seems that shows get canceled earlier more often. IMO Star Trek: Enterprise could have probably gone on for a few more seasons if they hadn't canceled it. I thought its season 3 was not so great but it was getting better again with season 4.

i think it's better to go out on a high note than just beat the show to death.

uk shows are like that. they just reuse the actors in another show.
    banshee was great and i think if it had a ton of seasons it would have been horrible. soa and true blood were good first couple of seasons then they went aweful.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Sat Oct 7 00:30:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

LOL true. :)

... Federal Employment Principle: Confusion creates jobs.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Sat Oct 7 00:32:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

also ds9 has 26 eps a year. some of these shows today bitch about
    getting 10 episodes shot!

Most Trek did - TNG, (except season 1), DS9, Voyager (except season 1), Enterprise season 1 and 2 (3 was 24, 4 was 22), and TOS was around similar figures (some more, some less), would have to look the exact numbers up.

... Make new friends, but cherish the old ones.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Sat Oct 7 00:47:00 2017

Also, it seemed like many shows back in the day ran for 7 seasons and sometimes more. These days, it seems that shows get canceled earlier
    more often. IMO Star Trek: Enterprise could have probably gone on for
    a few more seasons if they hadn't canceled it. I thought its season 3
    was not so great but it was getting better again with season 4.

Yep, especially with the Romulan War already established (by other Trek sources) as happening not long after the point where Enterprise was cancelled (not including the last episode) in the timeline.

... I'm shocked that country managed to become a super power!
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Sat Oct 7 00:47:00 2017

LOL I never did it, besides I've remained extremely active. :)

... 'Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting' RAH.
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Nightfox on Fri Oct 6 16:48:57 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Thu Oct 05 2017 09:32 am

Yeah, that was a big loss to the show. It forced them to waste screen time trying to develop Ezri in their final season. It helped that as a Trill, all that story equity of her history with Sisko was still there, but yeah I would rather have seen payoffs for Jadzia story-wise in, then spending time getting to know a new chracter.

DS9 had quite a bit of story arc, which is a unique thing and was good for the show, but I also liked that TNG was more of a one-story-per-episode show where they could address a lot of different topics and themes on the show.

Beyond the continuing storyline, I feel like DS9 is really the only series where the characters all changed appreciably. None of them are the same at the end of the show as they were at the beginning. Some of the changes were more profound than others, particularly Sisko, Bashir, Kira, and Odo. Or Garak, perhaps the most interesting character in all of Star Trek.

In TNG, the characters more or less remain the same. Data ends up getting an emotion chip (finally) in the movies, but besides that? You could perhaps make a case for Worf. He has the longest personal arc within TNG, and goes through a lot of family stuff. But day in and day out, he's mostly the same guy on that show.

--Josh

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Nightfox on Fri Oct 6 17:01:57 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Thu Oct 05 2017 05:03 pm

IMO Star Trek: Enterprise could have probably gone on for a few
    more seasons if they hadn't canceled it. I thought its season 3 was not so great but it was getting better again with season 4.

Enterprise went off in some goofy directions with the temporal cold war, and the off-kilter portrayal of Vulcans. ENT had Vulcans wrong from the beginning, and that always bothered me.

In Season 4 they got a new producer, and they started making stories
    that I cared about. Stories that had surprising connections to the other shows (particularly TOS, but even DS9) and brought back Orions, Andorians, etc. And they found a way to fix the Vulcan story.

It's a shame they didn't get a chance to go a little farther with Manny Coto at the helm. It could have been a fantastic show, they just didn't get off to the right start.

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Fri Oct 6 16:30:48 2017
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Thu Oct 05 2017 10:23 pm

i think it's better to go out on a high note than just beat the show to death.

If that were the case, The Next Generation may have been canceled early. I think it's good it went on more than 2 seasons because it started to get a lot better with season 3.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Kirkman on Fri Oct 6 16:35:16 2017
    By: Kirkman to Nightfox on Fri Oct 06 2017 09:48 am

Beyond the continuing storyline, I feel like DS9 is really the only series where the characters all changed appreciably. None of them are the same at the end of the show as they were at the beginning. Some of the changes were more profound than others, particularly Sisko, Bashir, Kira, and Odo. Or Garak, perhaps the most interesting character in all of Star Trek.

In TNG, the characters more or less remain the same. Data ends up getting an emotion chip (finally) in the movies, but besides that? You could perhaps make a case for Worf. He has the longest personal arc within TNG, and goes through a lot of family stuff. But day in and day out, he's mostly the same guy on that show.

That's true. But perhaps that's probably part of the difference between a show with long story arcs (DS9) and a show that is more episodic like TNG. They probably had to keep the characters more consistent for TNG. I think Picard grew a bit too though, after going through being assimilated by the Borg and then freed by the crew. Also, one thing I thought was funny was that in the last season of TNG they suddenly started to do a lot more character development. One that I can think of was that we found out that when Riker was an ensign on his first assignment, he helped his captain conceal a cloaking device while the rest of the crew mutinied. I think season 7 was also where they had Beverly Crusher go stay at her grandmother's house after she died and she found there was an alien living there that she originally thought was a ghost/spirit.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Kirkman on Fri Oct 6 16:36:53 2017
    By: Kirkman to Nightfox on Fri Oct 06 2017 10:01 am

Enterprise went off in some goofy directions with the temporal cold war, and the off-kilter portrayal of Vulcans. ENT had Vulcans wrong from the beginning, and that always bothered me.

In Season 4 they got a new producer, and they started making stories
    that I cared about. Stories that had surprising connections to the other shows (particularly TOS, but even DS9) and brought back Orions, Andorians, etc. And they found a way to fix the Vulcan story.

What was wrong with the Vulcans? I don't particularly remember anything wrong. Just different, perhaps, in that the Vulcans capable of mind-melding were a minority and Vulcan society hadn't accepted them yet.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Fri Oct 6 16:38:21 2017
    By: Vk3jed to MRO on Fri Oct 06 2017 05:32 pm

also ds9 has 26 eps a year. some of these shows today bitch about
    getting 10 episodes shot!

Most Trek did - TNG, (except season 1), DS9, Voyager (except season 1),

I believe TNG's season 2 was shorter at 22 episodes. I heard there was a writer's strike that year.

Nightfox

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Kirkman on Fri Oct 6 21:01:31 2017
    It's a shame they didn't get a chance to go a little farther with Manny
    Coto at the helm. It could have been a fantastic show, they just didn't get off to the right start.

Yes, Manny Coto knew how to make "intelligent" prequel, setting the romulan war, klingon look in the 60's vs Montion picture and on, fixing the Vulcans.

There was a lot of potential there.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Nightfox on Fri Oct 6 21:05:09 2017
    What was wrong with the Vulcans? I don't particularly remember anything wrong. Just different, perhaps, in that the Vulcans capable of mind-melding were a minority and Vulcan society hadn't accepted them yet.

Vulcans until season 4 weren't following the teaching of Surak, they where
    more militaristic and control with theirs central "high command" government. They would not slow down humans and other species after this.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ennev on Fri Oct 6 19:33:10 2017
    By: Ennev to Nightfox on Fri Oct 06 2017 02:05 pm

Vulcans until season 4 weren't following the teaching of Surak, they where more militaristic and control with theirs central "high command" government. They would not slow down humans and other species after this.

I remember that.. Weren't they following the teachings of a Vulcan named T'Pau? And I don't remember offhand, did T'Pau bring back the teachings of Surak? I remember hearing that T'Pau was a Vulcan character in the Original Series (I didn't watch much of the original series). There was also a pop band in the late 80s-early 90s named T'Pau. :P

Nightfox

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Nightfox on Sat Oct 7 00:20:51 2017
    I remember that.. Weren't they following the teachings of a Vulcan named T'Pau? And I don't remember offhand, did T'Pau bring back the teachings of Surak? I remember hearing that T'Pau was a Vulcan character in the
    Original Series (I didn't watch much of the original series). There was also a pop band in the late 80s-early 90s named T'Pau. :P

Yes she was teaching Surak's and was considered a terrorist by the high command. I don't think it's been officially mentioned by yes, people are lead to think that she's the same T'Pau seen in the original series and movies. Vulcan could live that old.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Sat Oct 7 16:13:00 2017

I believe TNG's season 2 was shorter at 22 episodes. I heard there was
    a writer's strike that year.

Yeah might have been season 2, but there was definitely a shorter season of TNG, and Voyager season 1 was only 16 episodes.

... Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions...
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Sat Oct 7 16:38:00 2017
    Nightfox wrote to Ennev <=-

I remember that.. Weren't they following the teachings of a Vulcan
    named T'Pau? And I don't remember offhand, did T'Pau bring back the teachings of Surak? I remember hearing that T'Pau was a Vulcan

T'Pau was trying to bring back the teachings of Surak. V'Las was leading the Vulcans down the oppressive, militaristic path. And the Romulans had a hand in the militaristic path. You can see a theme developing, with the Romulans seeing the threat that humanity presented in interstellar relations, being the one species capable of bringing together the neighbours. And the Romulan efforts actually had the opposite effect. So it was definitely the precursors to war.

... Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers.
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ennev on Fri Oct 6 23:44:30 2017
    By: Ennev to Nightfox on Fri Oct 06 2017 05:20 pm

Yes she was teaching Surak's and was considered a terrorist by the high command. I don't think it's been officially mentioned by yes, people are lead to think that she's the same T'Pau seen in the original series and movies. Vulcan could live that old.

Speaking of Vulcans' age, considering that Spock was half human, I'm somewhat surprised Spock lived into the TNG era and was still quite active (until even the Romulan incident transporting him back in time in JJ Abrams' 2009 Star Trek). I wouldn't expect him to live as long as a full Vulcan, since he was half human.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Sat Oct 7 03:48:36 2017
    By: Vk3jed to MRO on Fri Oct 06 2017 05:47 pm

LOL I never did it, besides I've remained extremely active. :)

just got back from all you can eat crablegs and prime rib buffet.
    you are missing out

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Nightfox on Sat Oct 7 17:46:18 2017
    Speaking of Vulcans' age, considering that Spock was half human, I'm somewhat surprised Spock lived into the TNG era and was still quite active (until even the Romulan incident transporting him back in time in JJ
    Abrams' 2009 Star Trek). I wouldn't expect him to live as long as a full Vulcan, since he was half human.

I think that back then even humans seem to reach older ages like mccoy etc.
    But it's maybe just a ploy to get actor from the original series show up :-D

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Sun Oct 8 02:37:04 2017
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Sat Oct 07 2017 09:13 am

Yeah might have been season 2, but there was definitely a shorter season of TNG, and Voyager season 1 was only 16 episodes.

From what I remember, Voyager's season 1 started in January, and most TV shows start in September. They usually go until June, so the late start would explain Voyager season 1 only having 16 episodes.

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Sun Oct 8 20:58:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

just got back from all you can eat crablegs and prime rib buffet.
    you are missing out

Yum. :)

... Tagline stolen while sipping coffee.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Ennev on Sun Oct 8 21:50:00 2017

I think that back then even humans seem to reach older ages like mccoy etc. But it's maybe just a ploy to get actor from the original series
    show up :-D

Humans were said to live until around 120 in the 23rd and 24th centuries, thanks to better medical technology.

... Difference between a lawyer and a skunk? Nobody wants to hit a skunk!
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sun Oct 8 06:24:50 2017
    By: Nightfox to Vk3jed on Sat Oct 07 2017 07:37 pm

By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Sat Oct 07 2017 09:13 am

From what I remember, Voyager's season 1 started in January, and most TV shows start in September. They usually go until June, so the late start would explain Voyager season 1 only having 16 episodes.

it could be because of the UPN coming into being. voyager was one of their flagship shows.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Sun Oct 8 17:48:25 2017
    By: Vk3jed to Ennev on Sun Oct 08 2017 02:50 pm

Humans were said to live until around 120 in the 23rd and 24th centuries, thanks to better medical technology.

yeah but back in the adam and eve, noah days people lived hundreds of years!

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Mon Oct 9 15:36:00 2017

From what I remember, Voyager's season 1 started in January, and most
    TV shows start in September. They usually go until June, so the late start would explain Voyager season 1 only having 16 episodes.

I can't comment on that, because release cycles of US shows are not so well defined here, especially prior to the last few years.

... Die, my dear doctor? That's the last thing I shall do.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Mon Oct 9 15:37:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

yeah but back in the adam and eve, noah days people lived hundreds of years!

And do you have any more evidence than hearsay from a translation dozens of generations old? ;)

... Just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has changed.
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Mon Oct 9 23:21:31 2017

he was too busy boning holagrams.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Mon Oct 9 23:24:06 2017
    By: Vk3jed to MRO on Thu Oct 05 2017 08:10 am

every since i saw kate mulgroon try to flirt with conan [puke], voyager was a big turnoff to me. i wanted to like enterprise but it had too many problems.

i liked tng and ds9. i especially liked the fact that sisko hated picard due to his wife dying when picard was locutus.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Oct 9 23:26:37 2017
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Vk3jed on Thu Oct 05 2017 06:22 am

Right up until Riker took command of the Melbourne and Locutus blew them into space at Wolf 359.

yep 39 ships vs 1 borg cube. they got their asses handed to them.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Mon Oct 9 23:30:19 2017
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Mon Oct 09 2017 08:36 am

I can't comment on that, because release cycles of US shows are not so well defined here, especially prior to the last few years.

there was a new station from paramount named UPN. voyager was one of the
    shows they spawned and they hoped it would generate some pull to the network.

later upn (paramount) and WB (warner bros network) became the CW

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Mon Oct 9 23:31:01 2017
    By: Vk3jed to MRO on Mon Oct 09 2017 08:37 am

MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

yeah but back in the adam and eve, noah days people lived hundreds of years! [0m

And do you have any more evidence than hearsay from a translation dozens of generations old? ;)

i dont really give a shit one way or the other.
    maybe people really did live longer until they picked up a genetic defect.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Tue Oct 10 00:03:36 2017
    By: MRO to Vk3jed on Mon Oct 09 2017 04:21 pm

Not just holograms (which was just one time, if I remember right), but guests and people he met on Risa also.

And he still ended up getting back together and getting married to Deanna Troi..

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Tue Oct 10 00:06:18 2017
    By: MRO to Vk3jed on Mon Oct 09 2017 04:24 pm

every since i saw kate mulgroon try to flirt with conan [puke], voyager was a big turnoff to me. i wanted to like enterprise but it had too many problems.

*Mulgrew
    I always thought Voyager was a bit corny/campy, but I watched it anyway. I think it had a few good episodes.

i liked tng and ds9. i especially liked the fact that sisko hated picard due to his wife dying when picard was locutus.

I suppose an argument could be made that Picard and Locutus were 2 different people. Picard didn't really have any control over what he was doing as Locutus, since Locutus was under the control of the Borg. In the episode after that incident, when Picard went to visit his brother, Picard broke down crying and said he was trying to fight what was happening but was powerless against the Borg.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Tue Oct 10 03:44:13 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Mon Oct 09 2017 05:03 pm

By: MRO to Vk3jed on Mon Oct 09 2017 04:21 pm

Not just holograms (which was just one time, if I remember right), but guests and people he met on Risa also.

one time he got worked up by that empath that molded to the men she was around.

he made a quick run to the holodeck.
    And he still ended up getting back together and getting married to Deanna Troi..

bad writing.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Tue Oct 10 03:45:39 2017
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Mon Oct 09 2017 05:06 pm

*Mulgrew

dont care how ya spell the old bat's name. she gross.
    I suppose an argument could be made that Picard and Locutus were 2 different people. Picard didn't really have any control over what he was doing as Locutus, since Locutus was under the control of the Borg. In the episode after that incident, when Picard went to visit his brother, Picard broke down crying and said he was trying to fight what was happening but was powerless against the Borg.

they could have made decisions differently with the borg and one could argue they are partially to blame.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Wed Oct 11 03:12:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

there was a new station from paramount named UPN. voyager was one of
    the shows they spawned and they hoped it would generate some pull to
    the network.

later upn (paramount) and WB (warner bros network) became the CW

Oh, OK.as I said, I have no idea. Networks here tend to be very stable.

... And if one bad cluster should accidentally fail...
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Wed Oct 11 15:05:00 2017
    MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

maybe people really did live longer until they picked up a genetic
    defect.

I highly doubt that. In fact, given the lifespan of our nearest relatives, it's more likely our lifespans have _increased_ as we evolved.

... And if one bad cluster should accidentally fail...
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Wed Oct 11 04:58:30 2017
    By: Vk3jed to MRO on Wed Oct 11 2017 08:05 am

MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

maybe people really did live longer until they picked up a genetic defect.

I highly doubt that. In fact, given the lifespan of our nearest relatives, it's more likely our lifespans have _increased_ as we evolved.

SCIENCE LIES!

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Kirkman on Mon Oct 30 18:35:34 2017

Love Garak.

There were some interesting dialogue bits in Voyager about the fact that they were stuck, career-wise. There was little opportunity for advancement unless someone died -- Harry Kim joked that he would be the oldest ensign in Starfleet when they got back home.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Oct 30 20:22:24 2017
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Kirkman on Mon Oct 30 2017 11:35 am

There were some interesting dialogue bits in Voyager about the fact that they were stuck, career-wise. There was little opportunity for advancement unless someone died -- Harry Kim joked that he would be the oldest ensign in Starfleet when they got back home.

One of my favorite Voyager episodes was 'Timeless', when Voyager had crashed on a planet and was buried in ice and the only 2 survivors were Harry Kim and Chakotay. 15 years(?) into the future, Kim and Chakotay had made it back home, and they decided to steal a ship so they could go send a message back in time to help Voyager avoid the crash. I remember Harry Kim had become cynical as his future self. And he had recorded a message for his younger self ("from Harry Kim to Harry Kim"). I remember LeVar Burton having a cameo in that episode too as Captain LaForge in the future (he had a Galaxy-class starship).

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Oct 30 23:24:11 2017
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Kirkman on Mon Oct 30 2017 11:35 am

Love Garak.

yeah, garak was great. had a lot of surprises.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Mon Oct 30 23:25:07 2017
    By: Nightfox to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Oct 30 2017 01:22 pm

One of my favorite Voyager episodes was 'Timeless', when Voyager had crashed on a planet and was buried in ice and the only 2 survivors were Harry Kim and Chakotay. 15 years(?) into the future, Kim and Chakotay had made it back home, and they decided to steal a ship so they could go send a message

yeah, that was one of my favorites. i'll have to watch it again.

---
  • From Immortal@VERT/LIGHT to Nightfox on Tue Oct 31 00:20:00 2017
    On 10/30/17, Nightfox said the following...

One of my favorite Voyager episodes was 'Timeless', when Voyager had crashed on a planet and was buried in ice and the only 2 survivors were Harry Kim and Chakotay. 15 years(?) into the future, Kim and Chakotay
    had made it back home, and they decided to steal a ship so they could go send a message back in time to help Voyager avoid the crash. I remember Harry Kim had become cynical as his future self. And he had recorded a message for his younger self ("from Harry Kim to Harry Kim"). I
    remember LeVar Burton having a cameo in that episode too as Captain LaForge in the future (he had a Galaxy-class starship).

Timeless is one of my favorites as well. I also really enjoyed Future's End. I liked a lot of them, Voyager had a lot of good episodes.

Immortal

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Lightning BBS -- lightningbbs.com:2400
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Immortal on Tue Oct 31 00:11:48 2017
    By: Immortal to Nightfox on Mon Oct 30 2017 05:20 pm

Timeless is one of my favorites as well. I also really enjoyed Future's End. I liked a lot of them, Voyager had a lot of good episodes.

I often thought Voyager was a bit cheesy/campy, but I watched it. Aside from Timeless, some of my other favorite episodes were some that centered on the doctor (the one where he wanted to implement the Emergency Command Hologram, and the one where they visited a planet that didn't know music and they were obsessed with the doctor's singing). I also liked the episodes where they visited Fair Haven in the holodeck, and also the one where they visited the fast-spinning planet where time moved a lot faster on the planet than nearby space (Voyager was stuck near the planet for just a few hours but it ended up being a few thousand years down on the planet). I thought Future's End was good too. And also the finale episode..

Nightfox

---
  • From Br0k3n@VERT/ASIRTA to Nightfox on Fri Nov 24 22:25:52 2017
    By: Nightfox to Immortal on Mon Oct 30 2017 05:11 pm

I often thought Voyager was a bit cheesy/campy, but I watched it. Aside from Timeless, some of my other favorite episodes were some that centered on the doctor (the one where he wanted to implement the Emergency Command Hologram, and the one where they visited a planet that didn't know music and they were obsessed with the doctor's singing). I also liked the episodes where they visited Fair Haven in the holodeck, and also the one where they visited the fast-spinning planet where time moved a lot faster on the planet than nearby space (Voyager was stuck near the planet for just a few hours but it ended up being a few thousand years down on the planet). I thought Future's End was good too. And also the finale episode..

Nightfox

Sorry to interrupt the Star Trek chatter but what do you guys think about
    The Orville? I've been having a good time with it. As much as I love Star Trek I've always felt like there wasn't enough banter and bs'ing about it as a job (which was something I learned everyone does after my time in the service.) This show feels like it hits that note beautifully and it's not a bad show
    so far.

---
    þ Synchronet þ www.asirta.com + Retro Music / Games / Gear + radio.asirta.com
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to Br0k3n on Sat Nov 25 19:09:34 2017
    By: Br0k3n to Nightfox on Fri Nov 24 2017 02:25 pm

Sorry to interrupt the Star Trek chatter but what do you guys think about The Orville? I've been having a good time with it. As much as I love Star Trek I've always felt like there wasn't enough banter and bs'ing about it as a job (which was something I learned everyone does after my time in the service.) This show feels like it hits that note beautifully and it's not a bad show so far.

I honestly think The Orville is more Star Trek than Discovery is. I enjoy both shows, but The Orville, even with its comedy, has a far more familiar "Trek" feel.

DaiTengu

... I reserve my abuse for lower life forms, like Civil Servants.

---
    þ Synchronet þ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Br0k3n on Sat Nov 25 22:52:59 2017
    By: Br0k3n to Nightfox on Fri Nov 24 2017 02:25 pm

Sorry to interrupt the Star Trek chatter but what do you guys think about The Orville? I've been having a good time with it. As much as I love Star Trek I've always felt like there wasn't enough banter and bs'ing about it as a job (which was something I learned everyone does after my time in the service.) This show feels like it hits that note beautifully and it's not a bad show so far.

I've been watching The Orville and I like it. They seem to be trying to get more of a comedy effect with it, which I find amusing. Also, I noticed Robert Picardo was in the most recent episode of The Orville (he played the holographic doctor in Star Trek: Voyager), which was funny to see.

Nightfox

---
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Nightfox on Sat Jan 11 02:59:35 2020
    Re: Star Trek Picard
    By: Nightfox to Brokenmind on Wed Jan 08 2020 23:50:29

it's "not true Star Trek" or will be as bad as they think Discovery is.. I

For being such a "Bad" show, it's been renewed for a 4th season. :)
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: loybbs.net:23
    SSH: loybbs.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: loybbs.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: loybbs.net:23322
    Sound Source ]|[ - telnet: furmenservices.net:2323

... Chuck Norris put the "fist" in "pacifist".

---
    þ Synchronet þ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:23
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Lupine Furmen on Sat Jan 11 12:14:20 2020
    By: Lupine Furmen to Nightfox on Sat Jan 11 2020 02:59 am

it's "not true Star Trek" or will be as bad as they think Discovery
    is.. I

For being such a "Bad" show, it's been renewed for a 4th season. :)

I've heard Discovery was renewed for a 4th season, but season 3 hasn't even been shown yet. :P I'm not quite sure how that works..

Nightfox

---
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Nightfox on Sat Jan 11 18:07:39 2020
    By: Nightfox to Lupine Furmen on Sat Jan 11 2020 12:14:20

I've heard Discovery was renewed for a 4th season, but season 3 hasn't even been shown yet. :P I'm not quite sure how that works..

They just finished filming Season 3. Scuttlebutt that I've heard is that we will probably see it drop in like March.
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: loybbs.net:23
    SSH: loybbs.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: loybbs.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: loybbs.net:23322
    Sound Source ]|[ - telnet: furmenservices.net:2323

... When Chuck Norris crosses the street, the cars have to look both ways.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:23
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Lupine Furmen on Sun Jan 12 12:10:26 2020
    By: Lupine Furmen to Nightfox on Sat Jan 11 2020 06:07 pm

I've heard Discovery was renewed for a 4th season, but season 3
    hasn't even been shown yet. :P I'm not quite sure how that works..

They just finished filming Season 3. Scuttlebutt that I've heard is that we will probably see it drop in like March.

I don't know how they decided to renew it for a season 4 when they haven't shown season 3 yet. What if its popularity drops and a lot of people stop watching it in season 3?

Nightfox

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Mon Jan 13 06:59:00 2020
    Nightfox wrote to Lupine Furmen <=-

I don't know how they decided to renew it for a season 4 when they
    haven't shown season 3 yet. What if its popularity drops and a lot of people stop watching it in season 3?

MONEY.

They probably want to film back-to-back seasons to save production costs. Science Fiction is expensive.

They've already renewed Picard for a second season before it premiered!

... Work at a different speed
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jan 13 13:17:53 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Mon Jan 13 2020 06:59 am

I don't know how they decided to renew it for a season 4 when they
    haven't shown season 3 yet. What if its popularity drops and a lot
    of people stop watching it in season 3?

MONEY.

They probably want to film back-to-back seasons to save production costs. Science Fiction is expensive.

I suppose it could be about saving production costs. Hopefully they make that money back.

Nightfox

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Jan 14 20:24:00 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Mon Jan 13 2020 06:59 am

Nightfox wrote to Lupine Furmen <=-

I don't know how they decided to renew it for a season 4 when they haven't shown season 3 yet. What if its popularity drops and a lot of people stop watching it in season 3?

MONEY.

... Work at a different speed

Patrick Stewart is no spring chicken. I wish for him to live long and
    prosper, however I imagine his health and age are catching up with him.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Wed Jan 15 07:18:00 2020
    Moondog wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Patrick Stewart is no spring chicken. I wish for him to live long and prosper, however I imagine his health and age are catching up with him.

I hope I look and feel as good as he does at his age.

--- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Jan 25 14:57:00 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Wed Jan 15 2020 07:18 am

Patrick Stewart is no spring chicken. I wish for him to live long and prosper, however I imagine his health and age are catching up with him.

I saw a picture of Chuck Norris at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas last week. He
    is near 80, and beginning to lose some muscle mass.

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Moondog on Sat Jan 25 21:31:39 2020
    By: Moondog to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Jan 25 2020 14:57:00

I saw a picture of Chuck Norris at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas last week. He is near 80, and beginning to lose some muscle mass.

he'll be 80 on 2020 Mar 10 ;)

)\/(ark

---
    þ Synchronet þ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Moondog on Sat Jan 25 22:16:33 2020
    By: Moondog to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Jan 25 2020 02:57 pm

By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Wed Jan 15 2020 07:18 am

Patrick Stewart is no spring chicken. I wish for him to live long a prosper, however I imagine his health and age are catching up with h

I saw a picture of Chuck Norris at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas last week. He is near 80, and beginning to lose some muscle mass.

i'm sure you're right, but remember that what we see on tv isnt the same as what we see with our real eyes. the colors arent the same, and short people seem normal size and six foot people look like giants.

---
  • From Dr. What@VERT/DMINE to Moondog on Sun Jan 26 12:23:00 2020

I saw a picture of Chuck Norris at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas last
    week. He is near 80, and beginning to lose some muscle mass.

Death won't come for Chuck Norris. Chuck intimdates Death.

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to MRO on Sun Jan 26 23:08:00 2020
    By: MRO to Moondog on Sat Jan 25 2020 10:16 pm

i'm sure you're right, but remember that what we see on tv isnt the same as
    what we see with our real eyes. the colors arent the same, and short people seem normal size and six foot people look like giants.

Up close he really isn't that tall as he appears on TV. He's 5'8". Occasionally at late night one of his Total Gym or whoever's ads he does will come on, but those ads appear to be done over 5 or more years ago. last year
    I saw him at the NRAAMM in Indianapolis writing autographs at the Glock
    booth, but he was wearing a long sleeve shirt. This time he was wearing a sho rt sleeved collared shirt.

---