• Freedom Train

From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to All on Sat Oct 14 20:08:06 2017
    FWIW, I finally beat Shooter Jennings' "Freedom Train" BBS game this week. Took me a couple months, but I had a lot of fun.

Since I beat it, the game has been reset. If anyone is interested in trying it, now is a good time to get in.

It's very story-driven, lots of side quests, and all sorts of cool secret thigns you can discover and do. Overall, very fun, with a handful of bugs here and there.

I hope others will check out the game -- let's support someone who actually built a big, sprawling BBS door game in the present day.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Kirkman on Sat Oct 14 20:58:06 2017
    Re: Freedom Train
    By: Kirkman to All on Sat Oct 14 2017 01:08 pm

FWIW, I finally beat Shooter Jennings' "Freedom Train" BBS game this week. Took me a couple months, but I had a lot of fun.

Since I beat it, the game has been reset. If anyone is interested in trying it, now is a good time to get in.

It's very story-driven, lots of side quests, and all sorts of cool secret thigns you can discover and do. Overall, very fun, with a handful of bugs here and there.

I hope others will check out the game -- let's support someone who actually built a big, sprawling BBS door game in the present day.

did you win bitcoins

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to MRO on Sun Oct 15 00:26:09 2017
    No, but you can actually use credits in the game to purchase digital downloads. I think I got his album "Countach", which took a long time to download using Z-modem.

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Zero Reader@VERT/ALKY to Kirkman on Sun Oct 15 03:22:00 2017
    On 10/14/17, Kirkman said the following...

FWIW, I finally beat Shooter Jennings' "Freedom Train" BBS game this
    week. Took me a couple months, but I had a lot of fun.

Have you beat From Here to Eternity yet? :-)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A31 (Raspberry Pi)
    * Origin: Alcoholiday / Est. 1995 / alco.bbs.io
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Zero Reader on Sun Oct 15 04:14:36 2017
    Re: Re: Freedom Train
    By: Zero Reader to Kirkman on Sat Oct 14 2017 08:22 pm

Have you beat From Here to Eternity yet? :-)

No. I should probably go back and play it again. I played it for a short time when it was first released.

Honestly, I found Freedom Train more compelling, which is why I stuck with it. It has own story and universe, while FHTE is more of an amalgamation of pop culture themes and characters.

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Zero Reader@VERT/ALKY to Kirkman on Sun Oct 15 19:01:00 2017
    On 10/14/17, Kirkman said the following...

Honestly, I found Freedom Train more compelling, which is why I stuck
    with it. It has own story and universe, while FHTE is more of an amalgamation of pop culture themes and characters.

They are both fun; I liked the pop culture of FHTE quite a bit. Once you get deeper into it there are some really amazing things that happen. It is sort
    of a luck of the draw though. Some months the enemies are really difficult
    and others, they aren't bad.

I have copious notes and I mapped the world out on a spreadsheet,
    heheh. That was the only way I got through it.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A31 (Raspberry Pi)
    * Origin: Alcoholiday / Est. 1995 / alco.bbs.io
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Kirkman on Mon Oct 16 16:41:44 2017
    By: Kirkman to MRO on Sat Oct 14 2017 05:26 pm

No, but you can actually use credits in the game to purchase digital downloads. I think I got his album "Countach", which took a long time to download using Z-modem.

If you quote the part of the message you're replying to, it would be a lot easier for the recipient of the message (as well as others) to follow the conversation if we know what your reply is in response to.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Lith@VERT/ASIRTA to Kirkman on Mon Oct 16 12:59:21 2017
    FWIW, I finally beat Shooter Jennings' "Freedom Train" BBS game this week. Took me a couple months, but I had a lot of
    fun.

Congrats to beating the game! Freedom Train is an amazing game.

Lith,

---
    þ Synchronet þ www.asirta.com + Retro Music / Games / Gear + radio.asirta.com
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Zero Reader on Wed Oct 18 17:01:13 2017
    Re: Re: Freedom Train
    By: Zero Reader to Kirkman on Sun Oct 15 2017 12:01 pm

I have copious notes and I mapped the world out on a spreadsheet,
    heheh. That was the only way I got through it.

Yeah, you definitely need notes to get through Freedom Train. Some of the puzzles at the end require information you may have come across earlier.

What I love about it is the number of side quests/puzzles. I solved many of the ones I encountered, but not all, so I could definitely see playing it again to try to finish those (or find new ones I might not have come across).

--Josh

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Nightfox on Wed Oct 18 17:02:37 2017
    By: Nightfox to Kirkman on Mon Oct 16 2017 09:41 am

If you quote the part of the message you're replying to, it would be a lot easier for the recipient of the message (as well as others) to follow the conversation if we know what your reply is in response to.

That is my usual practice, but I was writing from a weird location in a hurry. Given that my reply immediately follows the post it was a response to, I doubt anyone will be confused.

--Josh

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Kirkman on Wed Oct 18 16:34:27 2017
    By: Kirkman to Nightfox on Wed Oct 18 2017 10:02 am

hurry. Given that my reply immediately follows the post it was a response to, I doubt anyone will be confused.

When someone does a new-message scan on the BBS, it doesn't display the previous message if the user already read it, only the new messages. So there can be room for confusion.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Kirkman on Wed Oct 18 23:20:00 2017
    By: Kirkman to Nightfox on Wed Oct 18 2017 10:02 am

follow the conversation if we know what your reply is in response to.

That is my usual practice, but I was writing from a weird location in a hurry. Given that my reply immediately follows the post it was a response to, I doubt anyone will be confused.

it's no big deal because someone can follow the thread with command keys, but your reasoning is a bit flawed because that is relative to only your system. other systems fetch msgs at different times, so what you said isnt always true.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Kirkman on Thu Oct 26 05:59:15 2017
    By: Kirkman to All on Sat Oct 14 2017 01:08 pm

Does it only run on Wildcat?

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #51:
    Sysop = System Operator
    Norco, CA WX: 79.4øF, 19.0% humidity, 0 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Digital Man on Sat Oct 28 03:41:22 2017
    By: Digital Man to Kirkman on Wed Oct 25 2017 10:59 pm

I hope others will check out the game -- let's support someone who
    actually built a big, sprawling BBS door game in the present day.

Does it only run on Wildcat?

Yeah, it's written in WC basic, if I recall correctly. I intend to write a blog post about it soon.

But for now it's closed source and only hosted on his "BCR Games Server." You can use telgate or other solutions to connect to it from your board.

I've talked with him about somehow distributing a binary or releasing the source code in the future, to make sure the games don't get lost to history if he ever pulls the plug down the road. He's amenable to it.

Believe it or not, he has at least two further BBS game projects in the works, one in heavy development now.

--Josh

---
    þ Synchronet