• Superhot

From Digital Man@VERT to All on Mon Mar 19 17:51:59 2018
    There's a "Free for Gold" game on Xbox Live right now (for Xbox One) called "Superhot". At first glance, it's sort of a strange time-warping first-person shooter against robots in an all-white virtual world.

However, I think there's more to this game. The main menu UI looks like a DOS shell (so-called piOS) displayed on 4:3 CRT. Within this shell there are menu options that looks like DOS files you can "execute" or "view" (e.g. ASCI/ANSI "art" and animations). One of the "files" brings you into to "GuruCHAT" where you can observe an IRC or BBS-style chat in progress. https://www.videogamesblogger.com/2016/02/26/superhot-secrets-locations-guide.h tm

As you probably know, Synchronet has had an AI-chat feature called "Guru Chat" since 1991. Coincidence?

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #27:
    HTTP = Hypertext Transfer Protocol
    Norco, CA WX: 71.3øF, 22.0% humidity, 0 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Mon Mar 19 22:00:12 2018
    Re: Superhot
    By: Digital Man to All on Mon Mar 19 2018 12:51 pm

There's a "Free for Gold" game on Xbox Live right now (for Xbox One) called "Superhot". At first glance, it's sort of a strange time-warping first-person shooter against robots in an all-white virtual world.

oh i had a friend tell me about that game a while back. it's supposed to be pretty fun.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Kj4HBV@VERT/MACBETH to Digital Man on Tue Mar 20 01:15:14 2018

As you probably know, Synchronet has had an AI-chat feature called "Guru Chat" since 1991. Coincidence?

digital man

Man I gotta say... I've had many a chats with the Guru back in the 1990s. Hahaha! Your software is etched into my youth. The very first BBS I ever dialed into (thanks brother) was The Guardian BBS from Alabama. All I had was an external 9600 baud modem even though they were up to 14400 by then. Bama was the SysOp. Synchronet was the software. What a time to be alive!

I'll stop blabbing now. Memories!

-Ethan

---
    þ Synchronet þ MACBETH
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Kj4HBV on Tue Mar 20 00:10:22 2018
    By: Kj4HBV to Digital Man on Mon Mar 19 2018 08:15 pm

Man I gotta say... I've had many a chats with the Guru back in the 1990s.

*many*?!?

Hahaha!

Yeah, somewhere there's a log of those chats. You'd better hope those don't come to light. :-)

Your software is etched into my youth. The very first BBS I ever
    dialed into (thanks brother) was The Guardian BBS from Alabama. All I had was an external 9600 baud modem even though they were up to 14400 by then. Bama was the SysOp. Synchronet was the software. What a time to be alive!

I'll stop blabbing now. Memories!

Cool. Thanks for the trip down your Memory Lane. :-)

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #17:
    David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh... and clever. Norco, CA WX: 63.6øF, 32.0% humidity, 8 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DIGITAL MAN on Mon Mar 19 23:24:00 2018
    As you probably know, Synchronet has had an AI-chat feature called "Guru Chat" >since 1991. Coincidence?

Sounds like copyright infringement to me. :D

---
    þ SLMR 2.1a þ She cried away her life since she fell off the cradle!!
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * CCO BBS * capcity2.synchro.net:26
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Kj4HBV on Tue Mar 20 14:36:09 2018
    By: Kj4HBV to Digital Man on Mon Mar 19 2018 08:15 pm

Bama was the SysOp. Synchronet was the software. What a time to be alive!

Bronco Bama? :P http://nickguerra.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/BroncoBama.jpg

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Digital Man on Thu Mar 22 00:25:37 2018

I was perusing my guru logs the other day, and had a couple users recently fooled by it. I customized mine a few years back for my daughters, and this new user was trying to explain to the Guru that she wasn't related to the sysop. :)

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Kirkman on Thu Mar 22 14:51:28 2018
    By: Kirkman to Digital Man on Wed Mar 21 2018 07:25 pm

I was perusing my guru logs the other day, and had a couple users recently fooled by it. I customized mine a few years back for my daughters, and this new user was trying to explain to the Guru that she wasn't related to the sysop. :)

:) I haven't tried the Guru much myself, so I didn't know it could be customized.

A couple years ago, I saw a video someone made based on a conversation between 2 AI chat bots that had learned a bit of human-based conversation from Twitter etc.:
    http://digg.com/video/chatbot-nightmare-conversation

Nightfox

---
  • From Hustler@VERT/DMINE to MRO on Fri Mar 23 03:02:43 2018
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Mon Mar 19 2018 05:00 pm

There's a "Free for Gold" game on Xbox Live right now (for Xbox One)
    called "Superhot". At first glance, it's sort of a strange
    virtual world.
    oh i had a friend tell me about that game a while back. it's supposed to be pretty fun.

System requirements: 20TB HD Min 12G Ram Wahoo 2873 Turbo Graphic Card HD Monitor...What am I missing?

---
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Hustler on Fri Mar 23 21:02:28 2018
    By: Hustler to MRO on Thu Mar 22 2018 10:02 pm

There's a "Free for Gold" game on Xbox Live right now (for Xbox One)
    called "Superhot". At first glance, it's sort of a strange
    virtual world.

System requirements: 20TB HD Min 12G Ram Wahoo 2873 Turbo Graphic Card HD Monitor...What am I missing?

Wat? From the interwebs, the system requirements for that game are an Intel Core 2 Quad (a fairly old processor now), 2.40GHz, 4GB RAM (far from 12GB), GeForce GTX 650 graphics card (definately not the highest-end, since the latest GeForce GTX seems to be the 1080), and 3GB of storage space. Where are you getting those system requirements you mentioned?

Nightfox

---
  • From Hustler@VERT to Nightfox on Wed Mar 28 23:50:59 2018
    By: Nightfox to Hustler on Fri Mar 23 2018 04:02 pm

System requirements: 20TB HD Min 12G Ram Wahoo 2873 Turbo Graphic
    Card HD Monitor...What am I missing?

Wat? From the interwebs, the system requirements for that game are an Intel Core 2 Quad (a fairly old processor now), 2.40GHz, 4GB RAM (far from 12GB), GeForce GTX 650 graphics card (definately not the highest-end, space. Where are you getting those system requirements you mentioned?

I was kidding. I just made them up. I have no clue what's needed. I've been
    on Twitch or whatever it's called. You can watch them play games live. Unreal. I think the name of it was Twitch? Correct me if I'm wrong. The graphics and speed of the games were unreal. Looked like a hell of a lot fun!

HusTler

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Hustler on Thu Mar 29 15:24:14 2018
    By: Hustler to Nightfox on Wed Mar 28 2018 06:50 pm

been on Twitch or whatever it's called. You can watch them play games live. Unreal. I think the name of it was Twitch? Correct me if I'm wrong. The graphics and speed of the games were unreal. Looked like a hell of a lot fun!

I've heard of Twitch but I've never used it. For video games, I tend to have more fun playing them rather than watch other people play them..

Nightfox

---
  • From Hustler@VERT/DMINE to Nightfox on Thu Mar 29 21:32:48 2018
    By: Nightfox to Hustler on Thu Mar 29 2018 10:24 am

I'm wrong. The graphics and speed of the games were unreal. Looked
    like a hell of a lot fun!

I've heard of Twitch but I've never used it. For video games, I tend to have more fun playing them rather than watch other people play them..

I just wanted to see what all the hoopala was about. I enjoy keeping up with the technology these days. That Twitch is hot stuff. I can see why it's so popular. I don't think any of them ever leave their rooms but hey..Whatever "Floats your Boat". It's a community just like BBS land. If you want to watch "Oz Man" take on "Net Man" you can go on Twitch and watch the whole match. It's sick.! I have no idea what PC's they use or internet connections they have but I was impressed with the whole thing. It's Twitch.com

HusTler

---
  • From Hawkeye@VERT/MASHBBS to Nightfox on Sat Mar 31 01:11:12 2018
    By: Nightfox to Hustler on Thu Mar 29 2018 10:24:14

I used it several times to watch ppl play a new game... decide it was nothing for me... saved me some bucks.

---
    þ Synchronet þ MASH BBS - mash4077.ddns.net
  • From dmxrob@VERT/TRMB to Hawkeye on Sat Apr 7 17:06:28 2018
    By: Hawkeye to Nightfox on Fri Mar 30 2018 08:11 pm

I used it several times to watch ppl play a new game... decide it was nothing for me... saved me some bucks.

Perhaps I come from a different era. Back in the days, we enjoyed playing games just to see if we liked them ourselves. I don't get this whole "unboxing" and "watching others play games" culture. Where is the fun in that?

dmxrob - BBSing from St. Louis, Missouri USA since 1988

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada - trmb.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to dmxrob on Sat Apr 7 21:56:45 2018
    By: dmxrob to Hawkeye on Sat Apr 07 2018 12:06 pm

Perhaps I come from a different era. Back in the days, we enjoyed playing games just to see if we liked them ourselves. I don't get this whole "unboxing" and "watching others play games" culture. Where is the fun in that?

Yeah, I prefer playing the game rather than watching someone else play it. I do think the experience of unboxing something can be cool though - Mainly unboxing something myself, but sometimes it's interesting to see an unboxing video just to see what's in the box before I purchase something.

Nightfox

---
  • From dmxrob@VERT/TRMB to Nightfox on Sun Apr 8 11:17:01 2018
    By: Nightfox to dmxrob on Sat Apr 07 2018 04:56 pm

unboxing something myself, but sometimes it's interesting to see an unboxing video just to see what's in the box before I purchase something.

I always assumed what was in the box was what was stated on the label/packaging. :-)

---
  • From HusTler@VERT/UJOINT to dmxrob on Sun Apr 8 08:46:58 2018
    By: dmxrob to Hawkeye on Sat Apr 07 2018 12:06 pm

I found it useful to observe other players and the games they played just to see the technology without paying for it.

---
    þ Synchronet þ - Running madly into the wind and screaming - bbs.ujoint.org
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to dmxrob on Sun Apr 8 22:25:39 2018
    By: dmxrob to Nightfox on Sun Apr 08 2018 06:17 am

By: Nightfox to dmxrob on Sat Apr 07 2018 04:56 pm

unboxing something myself, but sometimes it's interesting to see an unboxing video just to see what's in the box before I purchase something.

I always assumed what was in the box was what was stated on the label/packaging. :-)

'unboxing' is a buzzword for 'product demonstration'

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Hawkeye@VERT/MASHBBS to dmxrob on Mon Apr 9 18:57:00 2018
    By: dmxrob to Hawkeye on Sat Apr 07 2018 12:06:28

I'm 45 atm. The unboxing is also not for me. I don't watch others to see them playing, I just watch to see if the game is for me. The youtube reviews are so directed and not honest, Twitch you can actually see someone play it.

HAWKEYE

- MASH BBS - mash4077.ddns.net - The Netherlands -

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to dmxrob on Mon Apr 9 13:31:41 2018
    By: dmxrob to Nightfox on Sun Apr 08 2018 06:17 am

unboxing something myself, but sometimes it's interesting to see an
    unboxing video just to see what's in the box before I purchase
    something.

Well yes, but sometimes there may be other things included (or not). For instance, some electronics include a power supply, some don't, etc.. So it's good to see what extras they might include beyond just what the box says.

Nightfox

---
  • From dmxrob@VERT/TRMB to Hawkeye on Mon Apr 9 21:35:49 2018
    By: Hawkeye to dmxrob on Mon Apr 09 2018 01:57 pm

I'm 45 atm. The unboxing is also not for me. I don't watch others to see them playing, I just watch to see if the game is for me. The youtube reviews are so directed and not honest, Twitch you can actually see someone play it.

You are the same age as I, what I refer to as "still young at heart" age range.

Makes better sense now that I've heard explanations from a few folks.

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DMXROB on Tue Apr 10 00:59:00 2018
    Perhaps I come from a different era. Back in the days, we enjoyed playing >games just to see if we liked them ourselves. I don't get this whole >"unboxing" and "watching others play games" culture. Where is the fun in that?

Because you can sit and eat and get fat and not have to do anything
    yourself.

Sorry, I am in a cynical mood today. :) IMHO, I can understand watching someone set something up and to see how it works, but some of these videos
    that go on and on... it would be like being a kid and wanting to play
    outdoors and instead watching videos of someone playing outdoors. No
    thanks.

---
    þ SLMR 2.1a þ Here is a loud announcement... Silence in the studio!!
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Tue Apr 10 01:02:00 2018
    Well yes, but sometimes there may be other things included (or not). For >instance, some electronics include a power supply, some don't, etc.. So it's >good to see what extras they might include beyond just what the box says.

An RPi is a good example. Seeing what all comes with it when your order it from such-and-such company can be educational and can also help you avoid
    the frustration of getting nothing but the sbc (no noobs, no power
    connector, etc.). :)

---
    þ SLMR 2.1a þ I had another drink...Drink-a-drink-a-drink-a-drink...
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to dmxrob on Tue Apr 10 04:56:43 2018
    By: dmxrob to Hawkeye on Mon Apr 09 2018 04:35 pm

You are the same age as I, what I refer to as "still young at heart" age range.

Hey, a fellow St. Louis BBSer! Nice to see you here. What boards did you call back in the day?

--Josh

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dumas Walker on Tue Apr 10 11:38:28 2018
    By: Dumas Walker to NIGHTFOX on Mon Apr 09 2018 08:02 pm

Well yes, but sometimes there may be other things included (or not). For >>instance, some electronics include a power supply, some don't, etc.. So >>it's good to see what extras they might include beyond just what the box >>says.

Didn't Apple buyers start the unboxing video trend? Admittedly, their packaging is pretty amazing when compared to a generic electronics manufacturer.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Hustler@VERT/DMINE to dmxrob on Tue Apr 10 21:31:57 2018
    By: dmxrob to Hawkeye on Mon Apr 09 2018 04:35 pm

I'm 45 atm. The unboxing is also not for me. I don't watch others to
    see them playing, I just watch to see if the game is for me. The
    youtube reviews are so directed and not honest, Twitch you can
    actually see someone play it.

I think Twitch is another great idea exploited on the web. I wouldn't buy video game for my kids unless I saw it being played. In those days you either saw the game at relatives or at the store. I think it's pretty cool you can logon to Twitch and watch all to top games live. You can "follow" a player and get emailed when their playing. I'm sure they have the same thing for Xbox etc. It reminded my of the haydays of Quake and Doom!

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Tue Apr 10 23:54:00 2018
    Didn't Apple buyers start the unboxing video trend? Admittedly, their packaging
    is pretty amazing when compared to a generic electronics manufacturer.

Probably. :)

---
    þ SLMR 2.1a þ In his hand a moving picture of the crumbling land
  • From Captain Kiwi@VERT/BLACKSUN to Hawkeye on Wed Apr 11 17:22:32 2018
    By: Hawkeye to dmxrob on Mon Apr 09 2018 13:57:00

I'm 45 atm. The unboxing is also not for me. I don't watch others to see the playing, I just watch to see if the game is for me. The youtube reviews are directed and not honest, Twitch you can actually see someone play it.

I mostly agree. If I am unboxing something.. great. If it's someone else.. I don't care.

Watching others play a game isn't fun. I can waste my time doing plenty of other things rather than watch someone play a game that I probably won't buy anyway. The days of Blockbuster were great.. "Is this a good game? Let me pay $5 and try it out for the weekend."

My daughter watches these "Let's Play Minecraft videos." The "content creators" are so obnoxious... and how in the hell do they have 1m+ views?!?

CK

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Black Sun BBS
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Captain Kiwi on Wed Apr 11 17:42:27 2018
    By: Captain Kiwi to Hawkeye on Wed Apr 11 2018 12:22 pm

Watching others play a game isn't fun. I can waste my time doing plenty of other things rather than watch someone play a game that I probably won't buy anyway. The days of Blockbuster were great.. "Is this a good game? Let me pay $5 and try it out for the weekend."

I remember hearing about Sega having some kind of game downloading service (the Sega Channel on cable TV) for their Genesis console where you could download games for the Genesis and play them. I'm not sure exactly how that worked (and I didn't have a Genesys myself), but I thought that sounded interesting. I just looked it up now, and it looks like it used a cartridge that was an adapter for the cable channel.. I suppose it could have used a flash ROM or something and could have received data from the cable channel.

My daughter watches these "Let's Play Minecraft videos." The "content creators" are so obnoxious... and how in the hell do they have 1m+ views?!?

I've seen some people watching those too, and the commentators on those can be annoying sometimes.. Though I have heard about some people creating limited CPUs and addition machines in Minecraft, which I thought were fun/funny to watch, as I probably wouldn't build something like that myself.

Nightfox

---
  • From dmxrob@VERT/TRMB to Kirkman on Wed Apr 11 21:28:08 2018
    By: Kirkman to dmxrob on Mon Apr 09 2018 11:56 pm

Hey, a fellow St. Louis BBSer! Nice to see you here. What boards did you call back in the day?

Now you are making me think! LOL. The very first board I ever called was the MASH 4077 with my Tandy and 300bps modem. Then there was a ton of others.
    Some I can remember are Land of Oz, Fire Escape's HQ, The Batboard. I was mostly a WWIV guy, but hung around other baords a bit. Back in those days I used the handle of Mr. Microchip.

I remember at the height of the BBS era, the WWIV wars that seemed to be fought out in St. Louis. It was a fun time, a lot of great memories.

---
  • From dmxrob@VERT/TRMB to Captain Kiwi on Wed Apr 11 21:29:44 2018

I mostly agree. If I am unboxing something.. great. If it's someone else.. I don't care.

+1 to this. I still get excited when I see the mailman bringing a package.

---
  • From Hawkeye@VERT/MASHBBS to Captain Kiwi on Thu Apr 12 04:35:31 2018
    By: Captain Kiwi to Hawkeye on Wed Apr 11 2018 12:22:32

I agree.... but the truth is those content creators are getting more views than serious TV. We had a nice show here in The Netherlands which was funny and intelligent. The jokes were too difficult. 300.000 people watched it... we have a population of 17 million here. They cancelled it because too few people watched it. It was a public television broadcast. Even those watch viewing ratings only by the numbers...

My point here... those millions viewers which I also don't understand, so stupid and abnoxious, attract advertisers.... hard but the truth....

HAWKEYE

- MASH BBS - mash4077.ddns.net - The Netherlands -

---
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to dmxrob on Thu Apr 12 01:36:35 2018
    By: dmxrob to Kirkman on Wed Apr 11 2018 04:28 pm

Now you are making me think! LOL. The very first board I ever called was the MASH 4077 with my Tandy and 300bps modem. Then there was a ton of others.
    Some I can remember are Land of Oz, Fire Escape's HQ, The Batboard. I was mostly a WWIV guy, but hung around other baords a bit. Back in those days I used the handle of Mr. Microchip.

I was usually "Captain Kirk," although I went by "Kirkman" on Junk Drawer and a few others. My main hangouts were Something in the Attic, Fire Escape's, Flash, Gateway City, and a rotating cast of teen WWIV boards like Zarficle or Buffy's Playhouse or House of Texaco.

There's actually a 314 Facebook group if you're interested in reconnecting with former BBSers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4749577653/

--Josh

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to dmxrob on Thu Apr 12 01:40:42 2018

Oh, one other thing I meant to say: There's at least one BBS still running in St. Louis! Mine: guardian.synchro.net.

--Josh

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Thu Apr 12 15:25:24 2018
    By: Nightfox to Captain Kiwi on Wed Apr 11 2018 12:42 pm

I remember hearing about Sega having some kind of game downloading service (the Sega Channel on cable TV) for their Genesis console where you could download games for the Genesis and play them. I'm not sure exactly how that worked (and I didn't have a Genesys myself), but I thought that sounded interesting. I just looked it up now, and it looks like it used a cartridge that was an adapter for the cable channel.. I suppose it could have used a flash ROM or something and could have received data from the cable channel.

How big were those old 8 bit games? I can't imagine very large. Could do some sort of serial comms via audio over cable - modems without the phone line. As long as your data wasn't big, it would work.

I was on Etsy a while ago looking at something, and ran across a Timex Data-link watch. Remember those? They did data transfer using flashing lines on a monitor - didn't work with LCDs, though.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to dmxrob on Thu Apr 12 15:27:34 2018

I remember at the height of the BBS era, the WWIV wars that seemed to be fought out in St. Louis. It was a fun time, a lot of great memories.

Fun indeed. 415 (San Francisco) was Opus/Maximus on the Fido side, and Forum for the elites. 510 (East Bay) seemed to be all GAP, Telegard and later Renegade.

I have an old archive of my BBS under Maximus from 1995, wish I'd saved a copy of the Telegard incarnation from earlier. I suspect it would look pretty bad, though.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Apr 12 17:30:29 2018
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Thu Apr 12 2018 10:25 am

I remember hearing about Sega having some kind of game downloading
    service (the Sega Channel on cable TV) for their Genesis console
    where you could download games for the Genesis and play them. I'm

How big were those old 8 bit games? I can't imagine very large. Could do some sort of serial comms via audio over cable - modems without the phone line. As long as your data wasn't big, it would work.

Well the Sega Genesis was 16-bit.. But yeah, generally those games weren't too big. Offhand, I think a lot of the 8-bit console ROMs I've seen are around 128kb to about 512kb (maybe the largest at 1mb?), and for a 16-bit game console ROM, I think the biggest I've seen is around 6mb (I thought I had seen some for Super Nintendo that are around 12mb but I could be wrong).

I was on Etsy a while ago looking at something, and ran across a Timex Data-link watch. Remember those? They did data transfer using flashing lines on a monitor - didn't work with LCDs, though.

I heard about those Timex data-link watches, but I had never used one myself.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Apr 12 17:32:58 2018
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to dmxrob on Thu Apr 12 2018 10:27 am

I have an old archive of my BBS under Maximus from 1995, wish I'd saved a copy of the Telegard incarnation from earlier. I suspect it would look pretty bad, though.

It's fun to look at those old archives. I still have a backup of my RemoteAccess BBS from 2000 that I burned onto a CD-R when I took that BBS down. Sometimes I think about setting up my old BBS to run as a door from my current BBS, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I'm not really sure it would serve much purpose besides being an interesting historical reference.. And I'm not sure if anything like file transfers would work from it, if anyone were to ever try that.

Nightfox

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Thu Apr 12 19:49:31 2018
    By: Nightfox to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Apr 12 2018 12:30 pm

I heard about those Timex data-link watches, but I had never used one myself.

They were pretty cool - back before we all had the internet with us at all times and had to bring our stuff with us.

Then, the Palm Pilot came around and we crammed all of our data into 2 megs.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Thu Apr 12 19:51:23 2018
    By: Nightfox to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Apr 12 2018 12:32 pm

It's fun to look at those old archives. I still have a backup of my RemoteAccess BBS from 2000 that I burned onto a CD-R when I took that BBS down. Sometimes I think about setting up my old BBS to run as a door from my current BBS, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

It's interesting to read the echoes, remember some of the old names, and recall exactly how much echomail flowed at the height of Fidonet.

I have a copy of Fido BBS that I fire up sometimes just to remember what it was like; I used to call Tom Jennings' BBS when I started out.

---
  • From dmxrob@VERT/TRMB to Kirkman on Thu Apr 12 19:23:07 2018
    By: Kirkman to dmxrob on Wed Apr 11 2018 08:40 pm

Oh, one other thing I meant to say: There's at least one BBS still running in St. Louis! Mine: g

---
  • From dmxrob@VERT/TRMB to Kirkman on Thu Apr 12 19:23:33 2018
    By: Kirkman to dmxrob on Wed Apr 11 2018 08:40 pm

Oh, one other thing I meant to say: There's at least one BBS still running in St. Louis! Mine: guardian.synchro.net.

... and now you have +1 more user. :-)

---
  • From bgdjr@VERT/BGDCAG to Nightfox on Fri Apr 13 00:13:05 2018
    By: Nightfox to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Apr 12 2018 12:32:58

By: poindexter FORTRAN to dmxrob on Thu Apr 12 2018 10:27 am

I have an old archive of my BBS under Maximus from 1995, wish I'd saved copy of the Telegard incarnation from earlier. I suspect it would look pretty bad, though.

It's fun to look at those old archives. I still have a backup of my RemoteAccess BBS from 2000 that I burned onto a CD-R when I took that BBS do Sometimes I think about setting up my old BBS to run as a door from my curre BBS, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I'm not really sure it would serve much purpose besides being an interesting historical reference.. And not sure if anything like file transfers would work from it, if anyone were ever try that.

Nightfox

yea I still have a copy of my VBBS/VADV system from the old dialup days... may put it up one of these days for fun.

Barry Davis Jr - SysOp
    BGDCAG BBS
    telnet://bgdcag.synchro.net
    http://bgdcag.synchro.net

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Digital Man@VERT to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Apr 12 21:54:09 2018
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Thu Apr 12 2018 02:51 pm

I have a copy of Fido BBS that I fire up sometimes just to remember what it was like; I used to call Tom Jennings' BBS when I started out.

And I used to call Wayne Bell's BBS back "in the day". :-)

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #36:
    MUD = Multi-User Dungeon
    Norco, CA WX: 69.4øF, 19.0% humidity, 3 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Apr 13 17:45:00 2018
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Nightfox <=-

It's fun to look at those old archives. I still have a backup of my RemoteAccess BBS from 2000 that I burned onto a CD-R when I took that BBS down. Sometimes I think about setting up my old BBS to run as a door from my current BBS, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

It's interesting to read the echoes, remember some of the old names,
    and recall exactly how much echomail flowed at the height of Fidonet.

I have a copy of Fido BBS that I fire up sometimes just to remember
    what it was like; I used to call Tom Jennings' BBS when I started out.

I'd like to revive the old BBS too. Running it as a door under a current system sounds like an interesting route. I'd have to use DOSBox, which should be fine, because it was a single node system anyway. Would have to disable all maintenance events and the mailer, and set all echoes to read only.

... Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Chai@VERT/AMIGAC to Nightfox on Tue Apr 17 05:23:03 2018
    By: Nightfox to Captain Kiwi on Wed Apr 11 2018 12:42:27

I remember hearing about Sega having some kind of game downloading service (the Sega Channel on cable TV) for their Genesis console where you could download games for the Genesis and play them. I'm not sure exactly how that

I remember that too. I thought it was a good idea, at the time. I was a Nintendo owner, and I was never really that into Sega games. But, that definitely was a perk to owning a Sega. It seems kind of crazy now.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Amiga City - The BBS for the Amiga - more than 2,500+ files
  • From nolageek@VERT/CAPSHRIL to Captain Kiwi on Wed Apr 18 05:23:05 2018

Watching others play a game isn't fun. I can waste my time doing plenty of other things rather than watch someone play a game that I probably won't buy anyway. The days of Blockbuster were great.. "Is this a good game? Let

Well, it's not just watching them - you're usually interacting with the players, talking about the game, etc.. Lots of times I'll watch people play to learn new techniques or more about the game mechanics to help me play better myself. If you're not a gamer, then yeah, the concept of watching people play games is silly, but if you're into the games they're playing, it can be fun or interesting to see how they play.

Ng

|01-|03nolageek

---
    þ Synchronet þ Capitol Shrill BBS - Washington, DC - capitolshrill.com