• Discovery or Microsoft?

From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to All on Thu Apr 4 14:18:24 2019
    So which are you enjoying more, the conversation about Star Trek and how this could TOTALLY be <spoiler>a Borg origin story</spoiler> or chatting about ancient video manipulation tools?

Sorry, I haven't read the last 20+ posts, but the topic seems off.

At any rate, I'm not following the episodes count closely, but are we nearing the end of the season or a break in the season?

-A.
    --
    Android8675@ShodansCore

... May you live all the days of your life.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Android8675 on Thu Apr 4 16:07:06 2019
    Re: Discovery or Microsoft?
    By: Android8675 to All on Thu Apr 04 2019 07:18 am

So which are you enjoying more, the conversation about Star Trek and how this could TOTALLY be <spoiler>a Borg origin story</spoiler> or chatting about ancient video manipulation tools?

Topics tend to drift, and people often don't bother to change the subjects when replying to messages.

Also, is that really a spoiler about a possible Borg origin story? That seems more like speculation than a spoiler, unless you actually have some inside information about what the writers are planning..

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to Nightfox on Thu Apr 4 20:16:36 2019
    By: Nightfox to Android8675 on Thu Apr 04 2019 09:07 am

Also, is that really a spoiler about a possible Borg origin story? That seems more like speculation than a spoiler, unless you actually have some inside information about what the writers are planning..

Nah, that seems like a stretch even though the image of the "nanites" going into his bloodstream were very reminiscent of the Voyage episode where they showed them entering the bloodstream of victims. But, with Guinan being over 600 years old, and her family's first encounter with the Borg being around 2260, and Discovery taking place in 2255 (lots of web searching for timelines, etc.), this could be the great "maybe" of the series.

Okay, now this is giving me a freakin' headache.

Dream Master

---
    þ Synchronet þ Caught in a Dream - caughtinadream.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dream Master on Thu Apr 4 23:02:04 2019
    By: Dream Master to Nightfox on Thu Apr 04 2019 01:16 pm

Also, is that really a spoiler about a possible Borg origin story?
    That seems more like speculation than a spoiler, unless you actually
    have some inside information about what the writers are planning..

Nah, that seems like a stretch even though the image of the "nanites" going into his bloodstream were very reminiscent of the Voyage episode where they showed them entering the bloodstream of victims. But, with Guinan being over 600 years old, and her family's first encounter with the Borg being around 2260, and Discovery taking place in 2255 (lots of web searching for timelines, etc.), this could be the great "maybe" of the series.

I thought the Borg were older than that. Guinan herself had once said the Borg had been around for "thousands of centuries".

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Android8675 on Fri Apr 5 04:24:05 2019

how long have you been here.

having an off topic has been a dovenet tradition. we have carried the same topic and talked about something entirely different for almost a year at times.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Android8675 on Fri Apr 5 16:35:00 2019

So which are you enjoying more, the conversation about Star Trek and how thi could TOTALLY be <spoiler>a Borg origin story</spoiler> or chatting about ancient video manipulation tools?

At any rate, I'm not following the episodes count closely, but are we nearin the end of the season or a break in the season?

-A.
    --
    Android8675@ShodansCore

... May you live all the days of your life.

Regarding the Borg, there was a Voyager episode where they found an alien
    from a long deceased race (like a thousand or so years) that remembers the
    Borg being around before he went into stasis. His species once ruled the Delta quadrant, and Neelix said his species name is synonymous with the word "foolish."

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to Nightfox on Fri Apr 5 17:08:06 2019
    By: Nightfox to Dream Master on Thu Apr 04 2019 04:02 pm

I thought the Borg were older than that. Guinan herself had once said the Borg had been around for "thousands of centuries".

She was always vague about that. This whole "timeline" playing could be a critical factor in the Borg creation. Then again, Star Trek is reinventing itself... why not have a little fun and make humanity the cause for the creation of the Borg.

Dream Master

---
    þ Synchronet þ Caught in a Dream - caughtinadream.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dream Master on Fri Apr 5 20:12:03 2019
    By: Dream Master to Nightfox on Fri Apr 05 2019 10:08 am

I thought the Borg were older than that. Guinan herself had once said
    the Borg had been around for "thousands of centuries".

She was always vague about that. This whole "timeline" playing could be a critical factor in the Borg creation. Then again, Star Trek is reinventing itself... why not have a little fun and make humanity the cause for the creation of the Borg.

I've heard some theories that V'Ger (from Star Trek: The Motion Picture) was how the Borg originated. That origin could be humanity as the cause for the creation of the Borg.

Nightfox

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Sat Apr 6 02:22:00 2019
    By: Nightfox to Dream Master on Fri Apr 05 2019 01:12 pm

By: Dream Master to Nightfox on Fri Apr 05 2019 10:08 am

I thought the Borg were older than that. Guinan herself had once said
    the Borg had been around for "thousands of centuries".

She was always vague about that. This whole "timeline" playing could be critical factor in the Borg creation. Then again, Star Trek is reinvent itself... why not have a little fun and make humanity the cause for the creation of the Borg.

I've heard some theories that V'Ger (from Star Trek: The Motion Picture) was how the Borg originated. That origin could be humanity as the cause for the creation of the Borg.

Nightfox

While ironic, that would make the Borg aware of Earth and I would've imagined they would've checked it out much sooner. That nitpick also applies to 7 of
    9. Supposedly, neither the Alpha quadrant or the Borg had any exposure to
    each other before Q intervened, however 7's parent's ship (and parents) would've provided knowledge to the Borg of the Alpha quadrant.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dream Master on Sat Apr 6 15:47:00 2019
    Dream Master wrote to Nightfox <=-

She was always vague about that. This whole "timeline" playing could
    be a critical factor in the Borg creation. Then again, Star Trek is reinventing itself... why not have a little fun and make humanity the cause for the creation of the Borg.

They can always go all timey-wimey and have them forced back in time
    sometime in the disco timeline.

... State the problem as clearly as possible
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.51
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Sun Apr 7 22:17:52 2019
    By: Moondog to Nightfox on Fri Apr 05 2019 07:22 pm

I've heard some theories that V'Ger (from Star Trek: The Motion
    Picture) was how the Borg originated. That origin could be humanity
    as the cause for the creation of the Borg.

While ironic, that would make the Borg aware of Earth and I would've imagined they would've checked it out much sooner. That nitpick also applies to 7 of 9. Supposedly, neither the Alpha quadrant or the Borg had any exposure to each other before Q intervened, however 7's parent's ship (and parents) would've provided knowledge to the Borg of the Alpha quadrant.

That's true.. I don't think V'Ger would be a valid origin for the Borg. And except for time travel, that would make the Borg fairly young, which would contradict other information in Star Trek canon.

Nightfox

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Nightfox on Tue Apr 9 17:29:04 2019

This AI seems quite powerful, nanites that take control of people. My first thought is that seems a bit advanced for Borg, but then everything on Discovery looks/feels a lot more "advanced", that's just TV magic.

My prediction...

This AI almost achieves its end goal, but at the last moment the red angel shows up and somehow is able to trick the AI and switch places with it.

The time crystal pulls the AI into the far future (+950 years, deep space, away from Earth) where it's either trapped in the dead timeline, OR it ends up in the ST:TNG timeline and thus The Borg is born.

At some point the AI will take all of Section 31's ships and compress them into cubes.

Only thing I'm hoping for now, is that Capt Pike can >avoid< his inevitable fate.

--
    Android8675@ShodansCore

---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Android8675 on Tue Apr 9 20:13:19 2019
    By: Android8675 to Nightfox on Tue Apr 09 2019 10:29 am

My prediction...

This AI almost achieves its end goal, but at the last moment the red angel shows up and somehow is able to trick the AI and switch places with it.

The time crystal pulls the AI into the far future (+950 years, deep space, away from Earth) where it's either trapped in the dead timeline, OR it ends up in the ST:TNG timeline and thus The Borg is born.

I had almost forgotten the time crystal thing.. I don't remember specifically where the time crystal has come in. All this time travel in the plot gets confusing sometimes, and it kinda reminds me of the temporal cold war, Crewman Daniels, & stuff along those lines they had in Star Trek: Enterprise.

Nightfox

---