• Computer collection, workshop, and projects

From Me Me Big Boy@VERT to All on Fri Apr 21 05:26:23 2017
    I don't really know how to concisely explain my hobby here, but I shall begin:

I like messing with computers, old or new. I collect old computers, whether I get them from eBay, from my brothers/sister, or my school. I salvage parts on partially-broken computers to be assembled into others and put into use. I find uses for old computers - I'm using one as a test bed for PyBBS (more about that on the General board) as I develop it.

I have a few computers in my fort; I'll break the list down here.

- HP Compaq dc5700 SFF, my current computer (purchased from eBay in August 2015 for $40)
    - HP Compaq dc5100 MT, a computer a school gave to me in exchange for work in March 2014. This is the one I plan to use for PyBBS, but last time I tried booting it, the VGA didn't work. I'll mess with it later and see what's up. Maybe an integrated video failure?
    - Dell Optiplex 760 USFF, a computer the same school gave to me in June 2016 (they had no use for it, it was given to them by a local prison)
    - Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2, an old computer my parents owned that broke in 2011... we found it years later in storage. The HDD still works and we will be salvaging parts from it at some point.
    - HP Compaq Presario CQ57, a laptop my sister gave to me in December 2015. Its HDD failed while I was using it and I lost a lot of files. RIP, but I live on. Some parts may be salvageable.
    - Unknown Gateway model from the 90s that my parents used to own. I haven't opened it up yet; there are probably spiders nested in it. I'll find out eventually. There's crayon markings and stickers all over the case... so I can tell little children used it (I wasn't around when it was used so it was likely my older siblings in their infancy years >.<).
    - HP Compaq dx9500 laptop that my oldest brother bought from eBay in 2015 for $30 and gave to me later that year. It works completely, but there's no WiFi. But it's quite slow for the modern age so internet doesn't really work on it. I have no use for it right now.

I will eventually either put a use to the computers, sell them, or salvage parts, depending on the computer.

If you wanna talk about all this stuff feel free to reply or shoot me some mail.
    mmbb@PyBBS:~$ :(){ :|: & };:

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Hustler@VERT/DMINE to Me Me Big Boy on Sat Apr 29 02:46:50 2017
    Re: Computer collection, workshop, and projects
    By: Me Me Big Boy to All on Thu Apr 20 2017 10:26 pm

I like messing with computers, old or new. I collect old computers, whether I get them from eBay, from my brothers/sister, or my school. I salvage parts on partially-broken computers to be assembled into others and put into use. I find uses for old computers - I'm using one as a test bed for PyBBS (more about that on the General board) as I develop it.

I have a few computers in my fort; I'll break the list down here.

- HP Compaq dc5700 SFF, my current computer (purchased from eBay in August 2015 for $40)
    - HP Compaq dc5100 MT, a computer a school gave to me in exchange for work in March 2014. This is the one I plan to use for PyBBS, but last time I tried booting it, the VGA didn't work. I'll mess with it later and see what's up. Maybe an integrated video failure?
    - Dell Optiplex 760 USFF, a computer the same school gave to me in June 2016 (they had no use for it, it was given to them by a local prison)
    - Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2, an old computer my parents owned that broke in 2011... we found it years later in storage. The HDD still works and we will be salvaging parts from it at some point.
    - HP Compaq Presario CQ57, a laptop my sister gave to me in December 2015. Its HDD failed while I was using it and I lost a lot of files. RIP, but I live on. Some parts may be salvageable.
    - Unknown Gateway model from the 90s that my parents used to own. I haven't opened it up yet; there are probably spiders nested in it. I'll find out eventually. There's crayon markings and stickers all over the case... so I can tell little children used it (I wasn't around when it was used so it was likely my older siblings in their infancy years >.<).
    - HP Compaq dx9500 laptop that my oldest brother bought from eBay in 2015 for $30 and gave to me later that year. It works completely, but there's no WiFi. But it's quite slow for the modern age so internet doesn't really work on it. I have no use for it right now.

I will eventually either put a use to the computers, sell them, or salvage parts, depending on the computer.

If you wanna talk about all this stuff feel free to reply or shoot me some mail.
    mmbb@PyBBS:~$ :(){ :|: & };:

Since when has this SIG require a complete resume?

---
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA