• Re: Linux

From Dennisk@VERT/EOTLBBS to Vk3jed on Wed Aug 19 04:15:00 2020
    Vk3jed wrote to Dennisk <=-

On 08-17-20 21:59, Dennisk wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I just found that I stil have yum installed!

Haha is it actual yum or a symlink to dnf?

It's a symlink to dnf!

Yeah, the availability of apt repos and version specificity has
    definitely kept me in the Debian camp in recent years.

Perhaps not worth moving on for you then?

At this time, no, but if there's something I intend to use heavily that requires Red Hat/Fedora, or at least strongly prefers a RH flavoured distro, then I will seriously consider Fedora over CentOS.

Cool. If any questions, let me know.

... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Dennisk on Wed Aug 19 20:32:00 2020
    On 08-18-20 21:15, Dennisk wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Haha is it actual yum or a symlink to dnf?

It's a symlink to dnf!

Haha that'll definitely work. :D

At this time, no, but if there's something I intend to use heavily that requires Red Hat/Fedora, or at least strongly prefers a RH flavoured distro, then I will seriously consider Fedora over CentOS.

Cool. If any questions, let me know.

OK, will do. I'm pretty distro agnostic, it depends more on the workload than anything else. :)

... Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
    þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Atroxi@VERT to Dennisk on Wed Aug 19 05:02:00 2020
    Dennisk wrote to Atroxi <=-

Atroxi wrote to Dennisk <=-

Dennisk wrote to MRO <=-

MRO wrote to Dennisk <=-

Re: Re: Linux
    By: Dennisk to MRO on Mon Aug 10 2020 08:50 pm

boot things out the window far too often.

why is windows so hard for you? they designed it so even idiots wont
    have problems with it. ---

Idiots may not have problems with it, but anyone who isn't one, will.

if someone is smart enough, they will be smart enough not to have problems. ---

I don't think it works quite like that. Some people are too smart, and end up creating problems they didn't need to.

Yeah, I remember years ago when I really wanted to customize the crap
    out of the Windows 7 box, with all those custom aero stuff and
    aesthetic stuff that only a nerd teenager would care about. I went into
    a dive of modifying system files to the point of breaking my system
    just because I wanted to change the way it works. Then, I found
    GNU/Linux and it blew my mind how I can actually build a custom system from the ground up instead of stripping one away and making it custom (though still not quite).

Being able to compile the kernel, and choose what goes into it was something that surprised me. It was one of the first things I tried to customise! (After selecting the window manager I wanted). I borked the system a few times, but my compiled kernel did run faster and leaner.
    I mostly customize the GUI (I use FVWM, which allows for some heavy customisation, more than any other WM I've used), the shell,
    streamlining things, and changing some niggly defaults that don't suit
    me and adding things I think are missing (like a shutdown/reboot
    button) on the XDM login screen, disabling pulseaudio, adding the -CK kernel patch, adding scripts, etc,

Oh yes. What a thrill doing something like that is. A few months ago I dived head-first into Gentoo and suddenly a whole world of customization was opened to me. I never imagined how these small tweaks would actually be beneficial on the long run but it did. Sadly, the amount of time compiling packages really took a toll on me, haha! And I feel like I'm not yet smart enough to deal with stuff or maybe I'm just lazy to give up a weekend to just learn the stuff.

Right now I've pretty much integrated my whole setup around using bspwm and terminal applications. It's surprising to me actually how little that I need to have to be able to use my computer productively (or not, haha!). Most of the time I'm just writing stuff and that's done through vim and I either compile it to LaTeX or groff. Other than that, most of the stuff that I have are scripts that I wrote to manage the system's functions like using dmenu as a power menu, display menu, mount menu, etc. I think right now the only thing that I'm missing is the ability to do spreadsheets, and while libreoffice does that I would like to do spreadsheets in the commandline.

occasionally using my own copy of a binary instead of the distro one
    (I try to avoid this, because its a headache during updates).

Oh man. It IS a pain.

... Backup not found: (A)bort (R)etry (P)anic
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Dennisk@VERT/EOTLBBS to Atroxi on Tue Aug 25 04:55:00 2020

Dennisk wrote to Atroxi <=-

Dennisk wrote to MRO <=-

MRO wrote to Dennisk <=-

Re: Re: Linux
    By: Dennisk to MRO on Mon Aug 10 2020 08:50 pm

boot things out the window far too often.

why is windows so hard for you? they designed it so even idiots wont
    have problems with it. ---

Idiots may not have problems with it, but anyone who isn't one, will.

if someone is smart enough, they will be smart enough not to have problems. ---

I don't think it works quite like that. Some people are too smart, and end up creating problems they didn't need to.

Yeah, I remember years ago when I really wanted to customize the crap
    out of the Windows 7 box, with all those custom aero stuff and
    aesthetic stuff that only a nerd teenager would care about. I went into
    a dive of modifying system files to the point of breaking my system
    just because I wanted to change the way it works. Then, I found
    GNU/Linux and it blew my mind how I can actually build a custom system from the ground up instead of stripping one away and making it custom (though still not quite).

Being able to compile the kernel, and choose what goes into it was something that surprised me. It was one of the first things I tried to customise! (After selecting the window manager I wanted). I borked the system a few times, but my compiled kernel did run faster and leaner.
    I mostly customize the GUI (I use FVWM, which allows for some heavy customisation, more than any other WM I've used), the shell,
    streamlining things, and changing some niggly defaults that don't suit
    me and adding things I think are missing (like a shutdown/reboot
    button) on the XDM login screen, disabling pulseaudio, adding the -CK kernel patch, adding scripts, etc,

Oh yes. What a thrill doing something like that is. A few months ago I dived head-first into Gentoo and suddenly a whole world of
    customization was opened to me. I never imagined how these small tweaks would actually be beneficial on the long run but it did. Sadly, the
    amount of time compiling packages really took a toll on me, haha! And I feel like I'm not yet smart enough to deal with stuff or maybe I'm just lazy to give up a weekend to just learn the stuff.

Right now I've pretty much integrated my whole setup around using bspwm and terminal applications. It's surprising to me actually how little
    that I need to have to be able to use my computer productively (or not, haha!). Most of the time I'm just writing stuff and that's done through vim and I either compile it to LaTeX or groff. Other than that, most of the stuff that I have are scripts that I wrote to manage the system's functions like using dmenu as a power menu, display menu, mount menu,
    etc. I think right now the only thing that I'm missing is the ability
    to do spreadsheets, and while libreoffice does that I would like to do spreadsheets in the commandline.

occasionally using my own copy of a binary instead of the distro one
    (I try to avoid this, because its a headache during updates).

Oh man. It IS a pain.

I like groff/nroff. I have some reports that I generate, and instead of using Office productivity programs, I write a program in D to parse some CSV files, and some text explanations I put in two text files, and insert the results of the CSV files as tables into a groff template. (Its a financial report). All I then have to do, is fill in a couple of CSV files, download two more, type text comments in two files, and run a script, and I have a formatted PDF report.

Another one I do, I did in Open Office, but I found it fidgety (and awkward). So again, a simple CSV file or two, gnuplot and groff, and the report is generated, a PDF with a report and graphs and tables. Sure, it took longer to set up, but once done, I generate the reports in no time. Consistently and fast. In the long run, I save time. If there is some other function I need, I can quickly write it up in the programming language of my choice (or use the unix tools).

FVWM makes things even easiser, as that Window Manager has its own scripting language and ability to create forms, so I can generate these with a keypress from my Window Manager, bringing up a form, where I can fill a few details to enter.

... "42? 7 and a half million years and all you can come up with is 42?!"
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com