• Re: The Fourth Industrial

From Atroxi@VERT to Dennisk on Wed Aug 19 04:50:00 2020
    Dennisk wrote to Atroxi <=-

Atroxi wrote to Dennisk <=-

I think a way around the UBI, is if automation is in place, then the nation is also a part of the member organisation, and also bears responsibility for inputs, and is part owner of the product. We would collectively own a share of everything produced by automation, because
    it is our automation doing it.

Yeah, I could see why that would work. Collective ownership, that is
    also practiced not just in paper, helps in dealing with an automated future (to be honest, it would also help now).

It could solve quite a few problems. Workers would not vote to
    offshore their jobs. They would not vote for companies to engage in
    "Woke Politics", or many of the other things that companies do, that is not in the interests of anyone. People engaged in the company would now have a right to say what the company represents. One of the awful,
    awful things that companies do, is they state they stand for this or
    that, but in reality, its just the opinion of a few in PR, and not the opinion of all those that keep the company going.

Yup, exactly. It's quite disgusting to see that actually, anything they touch dilutes, loses its meaning and becomes nothing but fodder for the marketing engine.

IT wouldn't be so bad if it were confined just to the office, but
    people in management new view themselves not just as managers of a productive task, but life coaches and people responsible for shaping society. The corporate world views itself as a replacement for Church.

Any big company nowadays goes around espousing that they value this or they value that and that they stand for this or they stand for that. I think they are already the church for most people especially with how prevalent they are in places where people usually access information. Sadly, they are a church whose words, and oftentimes only words, are motivated by how much profit they are projected to get from their "userbase" in the next quarter.

I don't know if this was real or just an edited picture but I saw once
    a picture of someone on stage of what I assume to be a facebook conference, mostly due to the font choice in the slide shown. Either
    way, it stated:

"Turn customers into fanatics
    Products into obsessions
    Employees to ambassadors
    and brands into religions."

And so they did.

I would have no trouble at all believing that slide was real. I've personally heard similar things myself, and many companies want to
    emulate Silicon Valley.
    That kind of thinking is very much in line with how people who manage companies think.

You are spot on with stating that companies are like a church, and they are taking advantage of this. I'm not even sure that company profit is even the core goal, I think it may more be self-aggrandisement and more individal, self-serving goals.

This is just plain scary. There is nothing more terrifying than an institution bloated with hubris and has an ability to realize its self-serving desires. Every day I wake up, I feel like the world is getting closer and closer to a Blade Runner-esque dystopic future.

The discussion of values should be left to the philosophers in society.
    IT doesn't bode well at all for us that it is now formulated by execs.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more on that.

... Backup not found: (A)bort (R)etry (P)anic
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net