• Poltergeists breaking code while I'm off working on different chunks

From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to All on Mon May 25 20:08:02 2015
    I hope that you will forgive me a short moment of #venting; this is the second time that this has happened to me, and it's driving me completely batshit right now.

As some of you may know, I've got (what is for me) a rather large project that I'm working on in #javaScript creating a #shell for my #BBS that is #emulating a much older interface. As I've gone through this project, I've finished off some features completely (in this case the message base accessing areas-- at least for all primary/alpha features), and gone on to work in some of the other areas.

Crux of the problem: I finish working on one area, move to something that is completely isolated from it within the codebase, and come back later on to the message base or whatever, and find that it's somehow spontaneously broken. Now there is the possibility that I've forgotten some changes I made in the interim to the source file containing those tidbits, but I really don't think that this is the case. I stopped doing the things that cause those kinds of memory lapses for some time now. I know that the code I've touched in the interim doesn't mess with those routines at all, so what the hell gives?

I have located the commits in the code that I made back 'in the day' when the feature set was all working. I don't know #git very well, honestly, so I suppose that this is just a really good time to work on learning the features that can help me diagnose where this problem went wrong, run a diff on the right files, and re-merge (if that's the right terminology in this case) the changes up to my current devel so that I don't have to go through and debug all of that crap again. Seriously, though, what the hell? Is there perhaps some feature that I don't know about in git's branching model, since I've started trying to use the flow process a little bit better, that is causing me to break these as a feature, not a bug, but one that I don't understand very well? Argh. The frustration and rage, it burns.

---
    Borg Burgers: We do it our way; your way is irrelevant.
    þ Synchronet þ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS telnet://tinfoil.synchro.net
  • From Tracker1@VERT to Khelair on Wed May 27 07:31:15 2015
    I have located the commits in the code that I made back 'in the day' when the feature set was all working. I don't know #git very well, honestly, so I suppose that this is just a really good time to work on learning the

I'm not the best with git myself... when I follow a "git workflow" with short lived branches, and rebase often, I tend to have better luck... in general, unless you rebase, squash commits, and push with a --force, it's nearly impossible to lose something you've pushed to a remote repository.

Best of luck to you.
    --
    Michael J. Ryan
    http://tracker1.info/

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Tracker1 on Wed May 27 12:57:21 2015
    Re: Re: Poltergeists breaking code while I'm off working on different chun
    By: Tracker1 to Khelair on Wed May 27 2015 00:31:15

I'm not the best with git myself... when I follow a "git workflow" with shor lived branches, and rebase often, I tend to have better luck... in general, unless you rebase, squash commits, and push with a --force, it's nearly impossible to lose something you've pushed to a remote repository.

Well, I managed to look up a good tutorial on git bisect that really
    helped me get a lot closer to the point I need to restore some chunks from in my code. As much as I hate its little rituals and needing to make sure that the chicken bones form the pentagram on the right night of the moon's phase, it's got some power and usefulness behind it that make the arcane crap rather worth using, IMO. Bisect is the most powerful tool that I've found with it
    so far, and I can see that I'm going to be using it a lot more in the future. If I would've bothered to learn some more about it a few months ago it would've saved me actual weeks, if not a few months, of development time when different feature sets broke from different people's commits.
    That being said, a little bit more green level documentation would
    really be nice for it. ;)
    I'm just starting to learn about the rebasing, squashing commits, and I'm just trying to stay away from the --force tag. I commit all the time (a little bit too often-- my issues with bisect have now taught me to at least do a syntax checking run before I commit each time in order to help trackign down problems more efficiently), and I've thought about squashing some commits, but I don't think I'm going to bother with that until I know I'm at a good tagged beta version. I can see the potential for bogus there.
    Thanks for the well wishes. :) I've got the commits annotated, just need to run through and do a diff and merge some stuff up to HEAD now and I should have a copy with everything working that I've had working for quite awhile now. :) All at once this time, even! ;)
    Best wishes!

-K

---
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Khelair on Fri May 29 17:59:49 2015
    Re: Poltergeists breaking code while I'm off working on different chunks
    By: Khelair to All on Mon May 25 2015 01:08 pm

As some of you may know, I've got (what is for me) a rather large project that I'm working on in #javaScript creating a #shell for my #BBS that is #emulating a much older interface.

Khelair, quick question: Have you somehow incorporated tagging features into your BBS?

I have always thought it would be cool provide Twitter-style @ mentions, which would generate a notification when the mentioned user next logs in.

I saw all your # hashtags in the post and wondered if you were playing with something like that.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Mindless Automaton@VERT/ELDRITCH to Kirkman on Fri May 29 23:18:22 2015
    On 5/29/2015 11:59 AM, Kirkman wrote:
    By: Khelair to All on Mon May 25 2015 01:08 pm

Kh> As some of you may know, I've got (what is for me) a rather large project
    Kh> that I'm working on in #javaScript creating a #shell for my #BBS that is
    Kh> #emulating a much older interface.

I saw all your # hashtags in the post and wondered if you were playing with something like that.

Hmm.. thats interesting, I thought he was just using that as a
    substitute for saying f*ckin'.. go figure. ;P

-Mindless Automaton
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Eldritch Clockwork BBS - eldritch.darktech.org
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Kirkman on Sat May 30 01:46:23 2015
    By: Kirkman to Khelair on Fri May 29 2015 10:59:49

Khelair, quick question: Have you somehow incorporated tagging features into your BBS?

I have always thought it would be cool provide Twitter-style @ mentions, whi would generate a notification when the mentioned user next logs in.

Unfortunately I have not. The reason that they ended up in that post was because I ended up posting that on some broad swaths of social media. One of the areas was Diaspora, where hashtags rule, along with twitter.
    That isn't to say that I've not played with the idea of creating an interface that would allow the BBS to interface with twitter, diaspora, or tumblr. The one I was going to start with was Tumblr; I actually created an account on there that I was going to have random, nominated, posts from my local message group go out onto. It would've involved adding a feature by which someone nominates it for other social media enshrinement, and if another user seconds it (or a certain percentage of readers, or whatever) then the image is posted through the API. Only problem was I kind of got hung up on learning the OAuth bits of things, and the documentation that I saw really scared me. I'd love to work on something like that for Synchronet, though. It'd be a great place to draw traffic in from.
    As far as Diaspora, that's pretty much the same thing I'd do there, as well. Twitter would involve making some shortened links and harvesting as many hashtags as will fit in the limited amount along with a really brief
    summary. I think they'd be worthwhile projects, though. Right now I'm just so busy on my shell that I'm really shying away from starting any other projects that are going to be solely mine. I'd love to collaborate with someone else, though.

-D/K

---