• Baseball stats: offensive sabermetrics

From Digital Man@VERT to All on Tue Sep 5 23:44:30 2017
    Any baseball statiticians / sabermetricians here?

I have an idea/inspiration for (what I think is a new/better) offensive metric with a working title of "realized potential at bat". I wouldn't want to duplicate existing work and I'm aware that offensive statistics are a very popular area of focus/work for new statiticians, but so far, I haven't been able to find a single metric which includes the factors of my algorithm. I've been looking at http://sabr.org/sabermetrics and the linked-to pages and documents.

In summary, my metric (RPAB) would represent the amount of realized-potential per plate appearance and average realized-potential of a player or group of players over a selected period of time (e.g. game, month, season, career). The RPAB would reflect the fact that for example, in many scenarios, a strike-out is actually a better outcome (realized-potential) than a L/GDP. The resulting metric is just a number similar to a batting average, but likely much lower on average: 1.000 would represent a perfect RPAB and MLB averages would probably be around .100.

Anyone have experience with sabermetrics want to discuss? :-)

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #92:
    Digital Man's manifesto from '96: http://wiki.synchro.net/history:manifesto Norco, CA WX: 87.6øF, 48.0% humidity, 8 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Digital Man on Wed Sep 6 20:46:38 2017
    Re: Baseball stats: offensive sabermetrics
    By: Digital Man to All on Tue Sep 05 2017 04:44 pm

I am not a sabremetrician, but I know one or two SABR members, and I know our baseball beat writers here in St. Louis.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Kirkman on Thu Sep 7 00:06:36 2017
    By: Kirkman to Digital Man on Wed Sep 06 2017 01:46 pm

By: Digital Man to All on Tue Sep 05 2017 04:44 pm

I am not a sabremetrician, but I know one or two SABR members, and I know our baseball beat writers here in St. Louis.

Cool. Just luck that you know these dudes or you work in the field? I've never met a sabremetrician or a baseball writer (that I know of).

When I'm further along, I'll likely start inquiring in the related forums, newsgroups, etc. Of course, that's when the errors (or naivete) in your algorithm is really strutinized and humility or embarassment ensues. :-)

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #17:
    DSL = Digital Subscriber Line
    Norco, CA WX: 85.5øF, 44.0% humidity, 8 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Digital Man on Fri Sep 8 11:49:53 2017
    By: Digital Man to Kirkman on Wed Sep 06 2017 05:06 pm

I am not a sabremetrician, but I know one or two SABR members, and I
    know our baseball beat writers here in St. Louis.

Cool. Just luck that you know these dudes or you work in the field? I've never met a sabremetrician or a baseball writer (that I know of).

I work at a newspaper. In fact, one of the SABR members I had in mind just died two days ago. I'm sure he would have been interested to learn about your idea once it was fully fleshed out.

--Josh

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Kirkman on Fri Sep 8 19:33:06 2017
    By: Kirkman to Digital Man on Fri Sep 08 2017 04:49 am

By: Digital Man to Kirkman on Wed Sep 06 2017 05:06 pm

I am not a sabremetrician, but I know one or two SABR members, and I
    know our baseball beat writers here in St. Louis.

I work at a newspaper. In fact, one of the SABR members I had in mind just died two days ago. I'm sure he would have been interested to learn about your idea once it was fully fleshed out.

Ah, sorry to hear that. Not about the newspaper gig, of course, that's cool. But the death of your friend. :-(

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #20:
    Michael Swindell was directly responsible for Synchronet's commercial success. Norco, CA WX: 85.2øF, 46.0% humidity, 5 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Kirkman on Sat Sep 9 00:35:48 2017
    By: Kirkman to Digital Man on Fri Sep 08 2017 04:49 am

must be a rough business to be in. do you have a backup plan?
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Digital Man on Sat Sep 9 02:33:25 2017
    By: Digital Man to Kirkman on Fri Sep 08 2017 12:33 pm

Ah, sorry to hear that. Not about the newspaper gig, of course, that's cool. But the death of your friend. :-(

Yeah, he was a great guy, the Google of sports statistics decades before Google existed.

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Mro on Sat Sep 9 02:36:01 2017
    By: Mro to Kirkman on Fri Sep 08 2017 05:35 pm

Yep, the backup plan is this old book called "How to Successfully Run a BBS for Profit". The money will be rolling in soon.

--Josh

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Kirkman on Sat Sep 9 07:16:52 2017
    By: Kirkman to Mro on Fri Sep 08 2017 07:36 pm

By: Mro to Kirkman on Fri Sep 08 2017 05:35 pm

Yep, the backup plan is this old book called "How to Successfully Run a BBS for Profit". The money will be rolling in soon.

it's too bad that newspapers are dying out, yet people still seem so dependant on news. my local paper and other big city newspapers arent doing so well and have tried various online strategies. people dont want to 'subscribe' online because they can get their news for free elsewhere.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::