• Nodeupdates for Idlers

From Node1@VERT/XBIT to All on Mon Aug 20 07:12:00 2001
    Basically, what I want to do, is to allow people who Idle while sitting in the main menu, to get updates such as messages/logon/logoff messages, etc. without having to push enter. I'm not really much of a programmer... And would appreciate any help I can get(actually I can't program..;) ). Rob suggested I post here, after posting in the Synchronet message board(web). Here's my prior post:

: : : Is there a way to be able to allow a user to sit idle at a menu, and still get node updates(messages/users logging/on/off,etc.). I know there's a sync/async command in Baja, but not sure how to implement this so that a user can just be sitting at the menu, and still get the updates without having to push enter.

: : The Private Message (Ctrl-P) menu is the only place in Synchronet where the user can sit idle and see node activity and private messages. The same thing could be done from a menu prompt with Baja using a combination if inkey and sync.

: : -Rob

:
    : really sorry rob, but I'm no programmer. I tried looking around for examples, but couldnt find any for inkey. I have the default logon major.src loaded, as : :main
    : cmd_home
    : menu major/main
    : getstr 10
    : compare_str ""
    : if_true
    : end_cmd
    : end_if
    : ungetstr
    : getkey
    : node_action node_main
    : logkey_comma

: Can someone help? I attempted to fool around with my src, but made it worse. you use, inkey and async right? Oh well. Any help is appreciated.

Post your question on the DOVE-Net/Baja Programmming conference and you're more likely to get help.

: BTW, congrats Rob on your new family member!

Thanks!

-Rob

Anyways, thanks for any help anyone can provide. I'm using the default Major.src that comes with Synchronet.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The X-BIT BBS - http://xbit.dhs.org - 1:229/880 - Oregon USA
  • From Jas Hud@VERT to Node1 on Mon Aug 20 09:57:54 2001
    RE: Nodeupdates for Idlers
    BY: Node1 to All on Mon Aug 20 2001 07:12 am

Anyways, thanks for any help anyone can provide. I'm using the default Major.src that comes with Synchronet.

well, what you'd have to do is like a loop thing, which wouldnt be so good..
    i have an "animated" main prompt that keeps up to date with the activity..
    you might want to do that yourself, but it might be too much of a pain,
    i dont think you'd want to go through the trouble of it for such a small outcome.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Node1@VERT/XBIT to Jas Hud on Mon Aug 20 21:01:00 2001
    BY: Jas Hud to Node1 on Mon Aug 20 2001 09:57 am

well, what you'd have to do is like a loop thing, which wouldnt be so good.. i have an "animated" main prompt that keeps up to date with the activity.. you might want to do that yourself, but it might be too much of a pain,
    i dont think you'd want to go through the trouble of it for such a small outcome.

Why would a loop thing not be so good? I dunno, i just need help(examples) of how to do it. I'm not a very good programmer, but I want to allow people to idle at the menu, while still recieving messages such as those sent from ctrl-p, and ability to see who's logging on/off while not having to push any keys or press enter. I'm using default major.src rightnow. I'd appreciate any help, since Majorbbs, actually had automatic screen updates, even when idle. Anyone can post an example of how I'd implement the loop? I know it deals something with sync, or async, and inkey... thats about it. Thanks for any info/solutions. I want the bbs to emulate MBBS as much as possible, since a lot of my users used to use MBBS(a lot feel MBBS is superior, but geez, it just cost too much).

---
  • From Node1@VERT/XBIT to All on Wed Aug 22 11:35:00 2001
    BY: Node1 to Jas Hud on Mon Aug 20 2001 09:01 pm

Anyways, thanks for any help anyone can provide. I'm using the defaul Major.src that comes with Synchronet.

well, what you'd have to do is like a loop thing, which wouldnt be so goo i have an "animated" main prompt that keeps up to date with the activity. you might want to do that yourself, but it might be too much of a pain,

Why would a loop thing not be so good? I dunno, i just need help(examples) how to do it. I'm not a very good programmer, but I want to allow people to idle at the menu, while still recieving messages such as those sent from ctrl-p, and ability to see who's logging on/off while not having to push any keys or press enter. I'm using default major.src rightnow. I'd appreciate help, since Majorbbs, actually had automatic screen updates, even when idle. Anyone can post an example of how I'd implement the loop? I know it deals something with sync, or async, and inkey... thats about it. Thanks for any info/solutions. I want the bbs to emulate MBBS as much as possible, since a lot of my users used to use MBBS(a lot feel MBBS is superior, but geez, it j cost too much).

If anybody can post an example of sourcecode, for how this could be done, It'd be much appreciated...Thanks..

---
  • From Jas Hud@VERT/ALKY to Node1 on Thu Aug 23 11:36:00 2001
    BY: Node1 to Jas Hud on Mon Aug 20 2001 09:01 pm

Anyways, thanks for any help anyone can provide. I'm using the defaul Major.src that comes with Synchronet.

well, what you'd have to do is like a loop thing, which wouldnt be so goo i have an "animated" main prompt that keeps up to date with the activity. you might want to do that yourself, but it might be too much of a pain,

Why would a loop thing not be so good? I dunno, i just need help(examples) how to do it. I'm not a very good programmer, but I want to allow people to idle at the menu, while still recieving messages such as those sent from ctrl-p, and ability to see who's logging on/off while not having to push any keys or press enter. I'm using default major.src rightnow. I'd appreciate help, since Majorbbs, actually had automatic screen updates, even when idle. Anyone can post an example of how I'd implement the loop? I know it deals something with sync, or async, and inkey... thats about it. Thanks for any info/solutions. I want the bbs to emulate MBBS as much as possible, since a lot of my users used to use MBBS(a lot feel MBBS is superior, but geez, it j cost too much).

im not at home with my baja docs, but here's a way to do it, i think.
    #looping prompt, to be displayed after menu cmd
    :1
    print "<[23;1H main pmt"
    inkey
    if_false
    goto 1
    end_if
    :end
    ungetkey
    # save it as a .src and put a call in your default.src to it.
    # make sure you put an esc code in there instead of <
    -jas

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alcoholiday - The kinder, gentler buzz! alcoholiday.thebbs.org