• SuperBAJA

From Amcleod@VERT to PistolGrip on Fri Jul 28 15:45:21 2000
    RE: mail_send
    BY: PistolGrip to Amcleod on Fri Jul 28 2000 02:21 pm

Of course, nobody is interested in programming Command Shells, Modules, e the SuperBAJA language (or whatever it's name is) with WHILE/DO/FOR loops subroutine calls, arrays, records, structures, etc, etc. So I don't actu work on the BAJAPP program very much. Because after all, I am no longer SysOp myself, so there is no real motivation for me to do so.

Yes, I understand your point(s). And I agree that a SuperBAJA would only be minmimal usefullness at this time. But, in the future there could be some possibilities opened up with the Linux version of SBBS. Maybe then the PERL BAJAPP could actually be very useful?? :)

Well, one of the advantages of doing this in perl is that it should be 100% portable to Linux. Sure, you could do it in C/C++ as well, but then C/C++ isn't quite as flexible in chewing up a buncha source code and spitting it out in a different form as Perl is (IMHO). And we're not writing 25,000-line BAJA programs are we? So we don't need the improved efficiency of C/C++ to make it run fast enough...

Some months ago I exchanged some messages with DM on the usefulness of a class of BAJA op. such as PEEK/POOK/EXEC_BUF and I think I convinced DM that these were useful additions to BAJA. If/when he adds them to the BBS there is every possibility that he will enhance the BAJA compiler to utilize them in fundamentally powerful new ways. And I will probably find my interest in the SuperBAJA idea reawakened too.

Er... POKE, not POOK! :)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net