• Unique e-mail addy?

From Uberhund@VERT/WASTELND to All on Mon May 28 20:49:00 2001
    Hi all,

Got a bit of a poser here. I'm trying to rewrite PG's validation by email module, and I'm attempting to dtermine if the email address that the user entered is unique . I figure that this will require parsing the user DB and doing a substring match on all the entered email addresses (sort of like the finduser function, except for netmail addresses). Can anybody point me in the right direction of something that might approximate this behavoir? I've tried looking for "example" code, but I haven't found anything that smacks of what I want to do.

Also, Does anybody know if there is any method in the Synchronet SDK that allows you to modify user data? If so, I'll just do this in c++ :)

=Uber

---
    þ Synchronet þ WasteLand BBS þ telnet://wasteland.darktech.org
  • From PistolGrip@VERT/WASTELND to Uberhund on Mon May 28 21:00:00 2001
    RE: Unique e-mail addy?
    BY: Uberhund to All on Mon May 28 2001 08:49 pm

Got a bit of a poser here. I'm trying to rewrite PG's validation by email module, and I'm attempting to dtermine if the email address that the user entered is unique . I figure that this will require parsing the user DB and doing a substring match on all the entered email addresses (sort of like the finduser function, except for netmail addresses). Can anybody point me in t right direction of something that might approximate this behavoir? I've tri looking for "example" code, but I haven't found anything that smacks of what want to do.

Easy, just open the user.dat manually and compare the email address to every record. You just have to write the code to keep track of the file position
    and record size.

Not the easiest thing to do with BAJA, but I've done it several times in various mods. Be careful to open the user.dat read-only.

I'm not going to give you the code as you are trying to copy my mod :-)

PG

---
  • From Uberhund@VERT/WASTELND to PistolGrip on Mon May 28 21:17:00 2001
    BY: PistolGrip to Uberhund on Mon May 28 2001 09:00 pm

Easy, just open the user.dat manually and compare the email address to every record. You just have to write the code to keep track of the file position and record size.

Not the easiest thing to do with BAJA, but I've done it several times in various mods. Be careful to open the user.dat read-only.

PG

I'm just desperate for something that works in win2k. :) I've got something that works in place, but I'm having trouble making it so that they are forced to enter a valid email. If its any consolation, I tried everything I could to get your mod working before I set off on my own :(

Parsing through the user.dat file doesnt really seem like my cup of tea, but I'll see what I can do :)

=Uber

---
  • From Uberhund@VERT/WASTELND to Uberhund on Mon May 28 21:33:00 2001
    BY: Uberhund to PistolGrip on Mon May 28 2001 09:17 pm

Actually, got another quick question. Is it possible to call exec (or anything equivalent to it) using a strvar instead of having to specify the string right there? If so, it would probably be pretty easy to fix the wacked command line parameters under win2k when you make an exec call...

=Uber

---
  • From PistolGrip@VERT/WASTELND to Uberhund on Mon May 28 23:03:00 2001
    BY: Uberhund to PistolGrip on Mon May 28 2001 09:17 pm

Easy, just open the user.dat manually and compare the email address to ev record. You just have to write the code to keep track of the file positi and record size.

I'm just desperate for something that works in win2k. :) I've got something that works in place, but I'm having trouble making it so that they are force to enter a valid email. If its any consolation, I tried everything I could get your mod working before I set off on my own :(

Yes, I too spent many hours buggin' telval on W2k and finally gave up and have since started the C++ version, but... it's very far from completion. Just don't have near enough time to finish it right now.

As we have both concluded the problem is something related to the way the W2K command processor interprets the SMBUTIL command line. It's either the "<" in the command line or possible some of the command line specifiers, but I'm pretty sure they are already translated before cmd.exe sees them so that
    should not be the problem. Maybe Rob has some ideas, and maybe he can even look at it now since he's got a W2K box running there.

Parsing through the user.dat file doesnt really seem like my cup of tea, b I'll see what I can do :)

Hehe... yeah the first time I did it was kinda scary but now I've got it down to a science :-)

PG

---
  • From PistolGrip@VERT/WASTELND to Uberhund on Mon May 28 23:05:00 2001
    BY: Uberhund to Uberhund on Mon May 28 2001 09:33 pm

Actually, got another quick question. Is it possible to call exec (or anyth equivalent to it) using a strvar instead of having to specify the string rig there? If so, it would probably be pretty easy to fix the wacked command li parameters under win2k when you make an exec call...

Yes, I have tried this already and it doesn't fix it. You can use something like this.

setstr "blah blah blah"
    exec "%s"

If you just use a "%s" then it tranforms into whatever the variable 'str' is.

PG

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Uberhund on Tue May 29 01:05:29 2001

Actually, got another quick question. Is it possible to call exec (or anyth equivalent to it) using a strvar instead of having to specify the string rig there? If so, it would probably be pretty easy to fix the wacked command li parameters under win2k when you make an exec call...

I don't think that is the problem with telval on Win2K.

Rob

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From PistolGrip@VERT/WASTELND to Digital Man on Tue May 29 04:18:00 2001
    BY: Digital Man to Uberhund on Tue May 29 2001 01:05 am

Actually, got another quick question. Is it possible to call exec (or an equivalent to it) using a strvar instead of having to specify the string there? If so, it would probably be pretty easy to fix the wacked command parameters under win2k when you make an exec call...

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, after the long delay Telval now works under W2K. Thanks Rob!!! :-)

I will be releasing Telval v1.6 within the next day or two. Just need to polish up a couple things.

PG

---
  • From Uberhund@VERT to Digital Man on Tue May 29 13:17:36 2001
    BY: Digital Man to Uberhund on Tue May 29 2001 01:05 am

Actually, got another quick question. Is it possible to call exec (or an equivalent to it) using a strvar instead of having to specify the string there? If so, it would probably be pretty easy to fix the wacked command parameters under win2k when you make an exec call...

Rob

Yeah, it appears to be some weirdness with cmd.exe. It manifests itself, however, whenever a command line specifier (%g, etc) is used. Once one of those is included in the string that exec receives, everything after the first argument is transmuted into a single asterisk. I've tested it fairly extensively. I'm not saying that its Sync'd or BAJA's fault, rather, I'm just looking for some sort of work-around.

=Uber

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Uberhund on Tue May 29 16:33:11 2001
    BY: Uberhund to Digital Man on Tue May 29 2001 01:17 pm

Actually, got another quick question. Is it possible to call exec (or equivalent to it) using a strvar instead of having to specify the stri there? If so, it would probably be pretty easy to fix the wacked comm parameters under win2k when you make an exec call...

Yeah, it appears to be some weirdness with cmd.exe. It manifests itself, however, whenever a command line specifier (%g, etc) is used. Once one of those is included in the string that exec receives, everything after the fir argument is transmuted into a single asterisk. I've tested it fairly extensively. I'm not saying that its Sync'd or BAJA's fault, rather, I'm ju looking for some sort of work-around.

Perhaps PistolGrip will be kind enough to fill us in on his work-around. I suspect that if the program you're executing is in the native program (OS/2) list in SCFG, the redirection still will work.

Rob

---
  • From PistolGrip@VERT/WASTELND to Digital Man on Tue May 29 23:22:00 2001
    BY: Digital Man to Uberhund on Tue May 29 2001 04:33 pm

Perhaps PistolGrip will be kind enough to fill us in on his work-around. I suspect that if the program you're executing is in the native program (OS/2) list in SCFG, the redirection still will work.

Heh... well actually it's your workaround. It ain't pretty, but it seems to work. I'm just using the batch file method we had discussed. Doing it this way works on Win9x and W2k, with or without the program (SMBUTIL) in the native program list.

I'm getting ready to dive-in a little deeper now and try to get everything buttoned-up.

Thanks for the insight Rob.

PG

---