• I need your help please??

From Terminator@VERT/CHATFREE to ALL on Wed Aug 18 11:44:00 2010
    It would be something like this.

The email address that you provided us was : ptaylor2@cox.rr.com

Is this correct [Yes or No}

The program will generate a new password using the str np

copy ae _useron.netmail

Programs sends out the email message to the internet.

Can you please give me a example on how I can do this?

Is there any way to include the users password in the body of the email message?

Thank you
    Terminator

---
    þ MM 1.0 þ Unregistered þ MailMaker - Your Windows offline reader!
    þ Synchronet þ Synchronet -> Chatfree BBS bbs.chatfree.org
  • From PistolGrip@VERT/WASTELND to Terminator on Sun Aug 19 19:22:00 2001
    RE: I need your help please??
    BY: Terminator to ALL on Wed Aug 18 2010 11:44 am

copy ae _useron.netmail

This all seems very familiar to me. Have you seen or heard of TELVAL?

I'm pretty sure I already have. Other than maybe the password generation which is pretty straight-forward in any language.

Is there any way to include the users password in the body of the email message?

Sure, but why would you possibly want to do this? Then you are essentially giving the users password to EVERYBODY, in plain text. Not a good idea.

PG

---
    þ Synchronet þ WasteLand BBS þ telnet://wasteland.darktech.org
  • From Amcleod@VERT to Terminator on Sun Aug 19 18:50:23 2001

It would be something like this.

copy ae _useron.netmail

It shouldn't be too hard with the new BAJA functions to open a connection to your own SMTP server and just have a simple dialogue to generate an outgoing e-mail. Someone with a more fundamental understanding of thre new functions please confirm?

If you have it in a string-var named "np" you would just printf() it to the SMTP server as a part of the machine-generated e-mail.

Even if you can't or don't want to have a r/t dialogue with the SMTP server you could dump the text of the message to disk and then use standard tools to send it at a later time.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Amcleod@VERT to PistolGrip on Sun Aug 19 18:54:39 2001
    BY: PistolGrip to Terminator on Sun Aug 19 2001 07:22 pm

Sure, but why would you possibly want to do this? Then you are essentially giving the users password to EVERYBODY, in plain text. Not a good idea.

I think the idea is that when B1ff logs on and initiates a password-change, the password is sent to his e-mail address rather than sent back up the Telnet connection. Why, I don't know, presumably to confirm that the e-mail address is not bogus. IOW, if your e-mail address is bogus you can't get a PW therefore you can't get on.

---
  • From Jas Hud@VERT to PistolGrip on Mon Aug 20 09:54:08 2001
    BY: PistolGrip to Terminator on Sun Aug 19 2001 07:22 pm

copy ae _useron.netmail

I'm pretty sure I already have. Other than maybe the password generation wh is pretty straight-forward in any language.

PG

he obviously wants to send the user the e-mail with the cbv password,
    and a copy of the user's pw.

---
  • From Terminator@VERT/CHATFREE to PistolGrip on Mon Aug 20 11:04:00 2001
    BY: PistolGrip to Terminator on Sun Aug 19 2001 19:22:00

copy ae _useron.netmail

I'm pretty sure I already have. Other than maybe the password generation wh is pretty straight-forward in any language.

PG

Someone told me that your the programmer of telnet verify and that it was written using baja. I am in the progress of writting the same utility, but I am going to use my program so the users can run it every 90 days to verify that there email address has not changed.

I am also adding some additional features that telnet verify does not support. If you could please tell me how you included the password in the body of the email message that would help me out a lot?

Thank you
    Terminator

---
  • From Terminator@VERT/CHATFREE to Amcleod on Mon Aug 20 11:06:00 2001
    BY: Amcleod to Terminator on Sun Aug 19 2001 18:50:00

If you have it in a string-var named "np" you would just printf() it to the SMTP server as a part of the machine-generated e-mail.

Even if you can't or don't want to have a r/t dialogue with the SMTP server could dump the text of the message to disk and then use standard tools to se it at a later time.

Could you please give me example of how its done using baja and printf() to the smtp server as part of the message as its being sent to the smtp server?

Thank you
    Terminator

---
  • From Terminator@VERT/CHATFREE to Jas Hud on Mon Aug 20 15:47:00 2001
    BY: Jas Hud to PistolGrip on Mon Aug 20 2001 09:54:00

copy ae _useron.netmail
    Sure, but why would you possibly want to do this? Then you are essential giving the users password to EVERYBODY, in plain text. Not a good idea.

PG

he obviously wants to send the user the e-mail with the cbv password,
    and a copy of the user's pw.

Folkes I am not a new kid on the block with running a public bulletin board system. Running a bbs is spose to be hobby and not a job, but some nuckles heads that call your bbs like to start some problems.

Here is a good example:

About 5 years ago when I was running my bbs from the telephone line I had some problem children that decided to call my bbs and post some nasty messages in a few of my Fido Net National Echoes. A few days later I found out someone filed a Fido Net Policy4 violation against me.

The end result was that I had to send out a few messages telling the sysop, there nec that I was sorry that my one users decided to act up. So I spent a few days working on resolving this issue when I had some more important stuff that needed more urgent attention. The user account was terminated, and the individuals where told that they where not welcome back on my bbs. There phone number was blocked using one of the phone company services that I had on the line during that time period.

The bbs has been running for over 2 weeks and the users do not even ready the rules posted in the logon and when the new user file is displayed on there screen.

I will hold the users accountable when they screw up. I am working on writting a program that will force them to read the rules or they access level will be reduced to level 0 and they will be disconnected from the bbs. This is spose to be hobby, so I am not going to let it stress me out this time!

For the information that I request about how to include the users new generated password in the body of a email messages. I have decided that this is one of the best methodes because the program that I am writting will force the users to verify that they have not changed there email account during a 90 day period.

Besides being on Fidonet I also got dov.net and the internet newsgroups to deal with. So I will try make modifications to my bbs to prevent the problems before they happen.

Thank you
    Terminator

---
  • From Amcleod@VERT to Terminator on Mon Aug 20 18:03:38 2001
    BY: Terminator to Amcleod on Mon Aug 20 2001 11:06 am

If you have it in a string-var named "np" you would just printf() it to t SMTP server as a part of the machine-generated e-mail.

Could you please give me example of how its done using baja and printf() to smtp server as part of the message as its being sent to the smtp server?

Actually, you would

SPRINTF str "Your new password is: %s please remember it!\n" np
    SOCKET_WRITE sock str

at te appropriate part in your dialogue with the SMTP server. I posted a complete -- but VERY rough demo earlier today. (Of how to send e-mail, not specifically about new passwords.)

---
  • From PistolGrip@VERT/WASTELND to Terminator on Tue Aug 21 01:42:00 2001
    BY: Terminator to PistolGrip on Mon Aug 20 2001 11:04 am

Is there any way to include the users password in the body of the emai message?

Sure, but why would you possibly want to do this? Then you are essential giving the users password to EVERYBODY, in plain text. Not a good idea.

Someone told me that your the programmer of telnet verify and that it was written using baja. I am in the progress of writting the same utility, but am going to use my program so the users can run it every 90 days to verify t there email address has not changed.

I am also adding some additional features that telnet verify does not suppor If you could please tell me how you included the password in the body of the email message that would help me out a lot?

I'm not 100% sure of what 'password' you are wanting to include? Do you want to use the users' BBS password? Or do you mean a unique code or 'password' sent to each user?

I don't exactly understand why you are asking this question? If you already know how to send an email to a user, then why can't you just include the information in the email body?

You would just need to copy or generate these codes some how, pput them into variables and then print them to the email body section of your send mail routine. In Telval, I just generate a code based upon some of the USER.DAT fields and then send that to users in the body of the email.

If you can clarify your question a little better I might be able to help further.

PG

---
    þ Synchronet þ WasteLand BBS þ telnet://wasteland.darktech.org
  • From Talus01@VERT/CONCLAVE to Terminator on Tue Aug 21 08:34:00 2001
    BY: PistolGrip to Terminator on Tue Aug 21 2001 01:42 am

Okay, best I can understand, you want to send a message with a new p/w every 90 days, right? The pain there, actually won't be sending the mail, as much as changing the password. First off: I know nothing of BAJA (yet). but what you need to do is have a prog go through the entire user list and send a random p/w to their email AND change the p/w, or set it as a log on event that triggers at expire time or something like that. As I said, the changeing the p/w will be the hard part.. especially if you use a logon script, as that would give them the option to change the p/w. You could use a small database of Name, P/W that a program will verify them at log on, as well... Hmm... Wel, it loks like I need to learn a new language :-)

Good Luck,
    Talus01

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Conclave of Wizards BBS (conclave.dyndns.org)
  • From Jas Hud@VERT to Talus01 on Thu Aug 23 08:50:28 2001
    BY: Talus01 to Terminator on Tue Aug 21 2001 08:34 am

BY: PistolGrip to Terminator on Tue Aug 21 2001 01:42 am

Okay, best I can understand, you want to send a message with a new p/w every days, right? The pain there, actually won't be sending the mail, as much as changing the password. First off: I know nothing of BAJA (yet). but what you need to do is have a prog go through the entire user list and send a random to their email AND change the p/w, or set it as a log on event that triggers expire time or something like that. As I said, the changeing the p/w will be the hard part.. especially if you use a logon script, as that would give the the option to change the p/w. You could use a small database of Name, P/W th a program will verify them at log on, as well... Hmm... Wel, it loks like I need to learn a new language :-)

Good Luck,
    Talus01

that all seems like more trouble than it's worth.
    but it would be easy to change the pw when the user is online.
    just code a random pw gen, then write it into the online users pw.

---
  • From Jas Hud@VERT/ALKY to Terminator on Thu Aug 23 11:32:00 2001
    BY: Terminator to Jas Hud on Mon Aug 20 2001 03:47 pm

Folkes I am not a new kid on the block with running a public bulletin board system. Running a bbs is spose to be hobby and not a job, but some nuckles heads that call your bbs like to start some problems.

of course, and you should EXPECT IT.
    but putting in so many walls, making it such a hassle to get people to logon... going through the trouble of making people read rules...yadda yadda.
    .....WILL STOP PEOPLE FROM CAUSING PROBLEMS.. but not the way you think:
    your bbs will be such a pain in the ass that people will not CALL IT.
    even the good users that dont cause problems.

and regarding fidonet: THAT IS THE WAY CRAPPY FIDONET IS!
    you have to adhere to these VAGUE rules.
    people have even been restricted from fidonet , just because they
    repeditly request help with setting it up, and cannot benefit from
    the snide comments of fidonet users.

so, if you want to put up road blocks, your bbs will be as busy
    as a blocked road.
    if people want to cause trouble they will. you just block their IP when it happens, that's all you can really do.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alcoholiday - The kinder, gentler buzz! alcoholiday.thebbs.org
  • From Talus01@VERT/CONCLAVE to Jas Hud on Wed Aug 29 14:59:00 2001
    BY: Jas Hud to Talus01 on Thu Aug 23 2001 08:50 am

THe problem there, is that the user can then change the p/w... unless it's a log off script? Hmm.. maybe...?

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Conclave of Wizards BBS (conclave.dyndns.org)