• Thanks!

From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to HEMO on Sat Jun 19 16:50:00 2021
    Hemo,
    Thanks for pointing out the USER=0 thing. That seems to have fixed half of
    my problems. I am able to receive messages now for the echos (and email)
    if they are address to @capitolcityonline.net. I am still having issues
    with @capcity2.synchro.net bouncing emails. I will have to ask DM about
    that. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * I was a tall person before I used PKZIP...!

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Dumas Walker on Sun Jun 20 14:51:53 2021
    Dumas wrote:
    Hemo,
    Thanks for pointing out the USER=0 thing. That seems to have fixed half of my problems. I am able to receive messages now for the echos (and email)
    with @capcity2.synchro.net bouncing emails. I will have to ask DM about that. :)

There is no MX entry for capcity2.synchro.net - In your dyndns setup you need to send an MX if you want Vert to relay email to you.

$ dig -t mx eotlbbs.synchro.net +short
    0 endofthelinebbs.com.
    $ dig -t mx capcity2.synchro.net +short
    $

That'll probably fix your issue.

---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DIGITAL MAN on Sun Jun 20 15:52:00 2021
    Thanks for pointing out the USER=0 thing. That seems to have fixed half of my problems. I am able to receive messages now for the echos (and email)
    with @capcity2.synchro.net bouncing emails. I will have to ask DM about that. :)

Good morning!

I seem to be having issues receiving email that is routed to a capcity2.synchro.net address. The ISP I am sending them from is returning
    the error below. It appears that the ISP is generating the error. I have
    also included the headers on the returned message. I have had 3 or 4
    returned, and one of my users was also complaining about sending mail from another email service that was not arriving here.

I thought it might be on this end, but I am able to send/receive emails
    using my no-ip reflector address and, thanks to hemo, I am now receiving list traffic also. So my port (587) is open and receiving traffic. I am also
    able to telnet to 'capcity2.synchro.net 587' and get a response.

Thanks!

===

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

mike.powell@capcity2.synchro.net
    host capcity2.synchro.net [67.131.57.133]
    retry timeout exceeded

Reporting-MTA: dns; fbsmtp.iglou.com

Action: failed
    Final-Recipient: rfc822;mike.powell@capcity2.synchro.net
    Remote-MTA: dns; capcity2.synchro.net

Return-path: <ccoky@iglou.com>
    Received: from rdsmtp.iglou.com ([192.107.41.63]:60499)
    by fbsmtp.iglou.com with esmtpa (Exim MTA/8.19.3)
    (envelope-from <ccoky@iglou.com>)
    id 1luQuE-00Enz5-Sj by authid <igloumta> with igloumta_auth
    for mike.powell@capcity2.synchro.net; Fri, 18 Jun 2021 22:40:22 -0400 Received: from mailrx1.iglou.com ([192.107.41.50]:37152 helo=mail.iglou.com)
    by rdsmtp.iglou.com with esmtpa (Exim MTA/8.19.3)
    id 1luN9x-00Eh9o-Cx by authid <igloumta> with igloumta_auth
    for mike.powell@capcity2.synchro.net; Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:40:21 -0400 Received: from host-067-131-057-133.dhcp.fewpb.net ([67.131.57.133]:58588 helo=h
    by mailrx1.iglou.com with esmtpa (Exim MTA/8.19.3)
    id 1luN9x-0002lX-2A by authid <ccoky@iglou.com> with dovecot_login
    for mike.powell@capcity2.synchro.net; Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:40:21 -0400

* SLMR 2.1a * Bartenders DO IT on the rocks..

---
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Dumas Walker on Mon Jun 21 11:05:37 2021
    Dumas wrote:
    I seem to be having issues receiving email that is routed to a capcity2.synchro.net address. The ISP I am sending them from is returning the error below. It appears that the ISP is generating the error. I have also included the headers on the returned message. I have had 3 or 4 returned, and one of my users was also complaining about sending mail from another email service that was not arriving here.

I thought it might be on this end, but I am able to send/receive emails
    using my no-ip reflector address and, thanks to hemo, I am now receiving list traffic also. So my port (587) is open and receiving traffic. I am also able to telnet to 'capcity2.synchro.net 587' and get a response.

Port 587 is the submission port, it's where users submit emails to the server. Server to server communication takes part on port 25, usually which isn't
    open, in your case.

$ telnet 67.131.57.133 25
    Trying 67.131.57.133...

---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NELGIN on Mon Jun 21 21:43:00 2021
    Port 587 is the submission port, it's where users submit emails to the server.
    Server to server communication takes part on port 25, usually which isn't open, in your case.

$ telnet 67.131.57.133 25
    Trying 67.131.57.133...

587 is the alternate for 25 for people whose ISP blocks 25.
    That is how it works with no-ip, and how it was working with synchro.net.

http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:vert_mx?s[]=587

* SLMR 2.1a * Must Go - Some Jehovahs witnesses need shouting at.

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NELGIN on Mon Jun 21 21:48:00 2021
    There is no MX entry for capcity2.synchro.net - In your dyndns setup you need to send an MX if you want Vert to relay email to you.

$ dig -t mx eotlbbs.synchro.net +short
    0 endofthelinebbs.com.
    $ dig -t mx capcity2.synchro.net +short
    $

Per http://wiki.synchro.net/module:dyndns

"If no hostname is specified, then an MX record pointing back
    to your hostname will be created."

So I have never specified one on my dyndns event command line.

That makes me think something (that is not (yet) documented in the
    wiki) might have changed at synchro.net that has removed my MX record, OR something got clobbered on this end.

Now, per http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:vert_mx, I *do* need to add the following to my dyndns event:

-mx mail.synchro.net

I have done that so we will see what happens.

* SLMR 2.1a * Bartenders DO IT on the rocks..

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Digital Man on Mon Jun 21 22:35:57 2021
    A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

retry timeout exceeded

Thanks to Nelgin and some wiki reading, I got this error straightened out. However, I am not getting the following error:

host mail.synchro.net [71.95.196.36]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<mike.powell@capcity2.synchro.net>:
    553 Relaying through this server requires authentication. Please authenticate before sending.

Thanks!
    #

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Dumas Walker on Tue Jun 22 21:21:44 2021
    Re: *.synchro.net bouncing
    By: Dumas Walker to DIGITAL MAN on Sun Jun 20 2021 08:52 am

if they are address to @capitolcityonline.net. I am still having issues with @capcity2.synchro.net bouncing emails. I will have to ask DM about that. :)

Good morning!

I seem to be having issues receiving email that is routed to a capcity2.synchro.net address. The ISP I am sending them from is returning the error below. It appears that the ISP is generating the error. I have also included the headers on the returned message. I have had 3 or 4 returned, and one of my users was also complaining about sending mail from another email service that was not arriving here.

I thought it might be on this end, but I am able to send/receive emails using my no-ip reflector address and, thanks to hemo, I am now receiving list traffic also. So my port (587) is open and receiving traffic. I am also
    able to telnet to 'capcity2.synchro.net 587' and get a response.

You need to have/use TCP port 25 to receive SMTP mail directly to your BBS.
    TCP Port 587 is for SMTP "submissions" which is slightly different. http://wiki.synchro.net/faq:tcpip#receive_mail
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #22:
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    Norco, CA WX: 85.6øF, 41.0% humidity, 6 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Dumas Walker on Tue Jun 22 21:25:09 2021
    Re: Re: *.synchro.net bouncing
    By: Dumas Walker to Digital Man on Mon Jun 21 2021 03:35 pm

retry timeout exceeded

Thanks to Nelgin and some wiki reading, I got this error straightened out. However, I am not getting the following error:

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<mike.powell@capcity2.synchro.net>:
    553 Relaying through this server requires authentication. Please authenticate before sending.

I have not set up relaying of SMTP mail for capcity2.synchro.net through Vert (mail.synchro.net). Was a request made?
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #67:
    SCFG = Synchronet Configuration Utility
    Norco, CA WX: 84.4øF, 43.0% humidity, 8 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DIGITAL MAN on Wed Jun 23 20:43:00 2021

I have not set up relaying of SMTP mail for capcity2.synchro.net through Vert ail.synchro.net). Was a request made?

Yes, it would have been quite a while ago. I am pretty sure it used to
    work, but I don't know how long ago it stopped.

* SLMR 2.1a * Go ahead, back up to the RAM disk. I dare you!

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Dumas Walker on Fri Jun 25 00:38:16 2021
    Re: Re: *.synchro.net bouncin
    By: Dumas Walker to DIGITAL MAN on Wed Jun 23 2021 01:43 pm

I have not set up relaying of SMTP mail for capcity2.synchro.net through Vert ail.synchro.net). Was a request made?

Yes, it would have been quite a while ago. I am pretty sure it used to work, but I don't know how long ago it stopped.

I found no evidence of any mail exchange (incoming relay of mail) support for capcity2.synchro.net requested. I added the alias to my mail server so you can now use mail.synchro.net as the MX for capcity2.synchro.net. I'm not sure what is meant by "used to work" in this context, but Vertrauen was never configured as a mail exchange for capcity2.
    --
    digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #1:
    Nigel Tufnel: These go to eleven.
    Norco, CA WX: 77.9øF, 49.0% humidity, 14 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DIGITAL MAN on Fri Jun 25 22:43:00 2021
    Yes, it would have been quite a while ago. I am pretty sure it used to work, but I don't know how long ago it stopped.

I found no evidence of any mail exchange (incoming relay of mail) support for pcity2.synchro.net requested. I added the alias to my mail server so you can n
    use mail.synchro.net as the MX for capcity2.synchro.net. I'm not sure what is
    eant by "used to work" in this context, but Vertrauen was never configured as mail exchange for capcity2.

Used to work as in I was able to receive mail via capcity2.synchro.net. I
    will take your word for it, though, as my memory may deceive me. Thanks for adding it!

* SLMR 2.1a * Look maw, kitty goes POP when ya plug er in da waal.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Dumas Walker on Sat Jun 26 23:31:33 2021
    Re: Re: *.synchro.net bouncin
    By: Dumas Walker to DIGITAL MAN on Fri Jun 25 2021 03:43 pm

I found no evidence of any mail exchange (incoming relay of mail) support for pcity2.synchro.net requested. I added the alias to my mail server so you can n
    use mail.synchro.net as the MX for capcity2.synchro.net. I'm not sure what is
    eant by "used to work" in this context, but Vertrauen was never configured as mail exchange for capcity2.

Used to work as in I was able to receive mail via capcity2.synchro.net. I will take your word for it, though, as my memory may deceive me. Thanks for adding it!

In that case, your system must've been able to receive SMTP connections (and mail) on TCP port 25 at that time.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #22:
    Karl: I don't reckon you have to go with women to be a good father to a boy. Norco, CA WX: 87.3øF, 38.0% humidity, 9 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Tracker1@VERT/TRN to Dumas Walker on Sun Jun 27 20:41:37 2021
    On 6/25/2021 12:43 PM, Dumas Walker wrote:

Used to work as in I was able to receive mail via capcity2.synchro.net. I will take your word for it, though, as my memory may deceive me. Thanks for adding it!

Could be that you used to be able to receive SMTP connections on port
    25, without an MX entry mail relays will usually default to the HOST
    entry (A/AAAA record) for the domain/subdomain.
    --
    Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com