• Synchronetris - Uncaught exception from bbs.xtrn_sec()

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to All on Mon Jan 6 05:25:35 2014
    Hi all,

Today I updated my files in sbbs/xtrn from the Synchronet CVS repository, and I set up Synchronetris on my BBS. I have a JavaScript command shell which calls bbs.xtrn_sec() to go into the external programs area. When I try to run Synchronetris, I get an error, apparently from bbs.xtrn_sec() (based on the reported line number in my command shell) that says "uncaught exception: socket disconnected". Does anyone know what might cause that?

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From MCMLXXIX@VERT/MDJ to Nightfox on Mon Jan 6 18:00:44 2014
    Re: Synchronetris - Uncaught exception from bbs.xtrn_sec()
    By: Nightfox to All on Sun Jan 05 2014 21:25:35

Hi all,

Today I updated my files in sbbs/xtrn from the Synchronet CVS repository, an set up Synchronetris on my BBS. I have a JavaScript command shell which cal bbs.xtrn_sec() to go into the external programs area. When I try to run Synchronetris, I get an error, apparently from bbs.xtrn_sec() (based on the reported line number in my command shell) that says "uncaught exception: soc disconnected". Does anyone know what might cause that?

that's your command shell inheriting the exception, which is actually being thrown by the game. are you running your own instance of json-service.js in services.ini? is that where the game's server.ini file is pointing?

in the event you are pointed at my server, ill check my logs to see if something went wrong.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The BRoKEN BuBBLE (bbs.thebrokenbubble.com)
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MCMLXXIX on Tue Jan 7 04:08:41 2014
    By: MCMLXXIX to Nightfox on Mon Jan 06 2014 10:00:44

that's your command shell inheriting the exception, which is actually being thrown by the game. are you running your own instance of json-service.js in services.ini? is that where the game's server.ini
    file is pointing?

I didn't know json-service.js had to be running. I followed the instructions in sysop.doc, and it does not mention json-service or configuring the game to point to a server. It simply explains how to set up tetris.js in SCFG.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MCMLXXIX on Tue Jan 7 04:16:45 2014
    By: MCMLXXIX to Nightfox on Mon Jan 06 2014 10:00:44

that's your command shell inheriting the exception, which is actually being thrown by the game. are you running your own instance of json-service.js in services.ini? is that where the game's server.ini
    file is pointing?

I am running json-service.js in my services.ini, and my server.ini for Synchronetris is pointed to localhost (I left it as the default). I get the "socket disconnected" exception even with that configuration.

Nightfox

---
  • From MCMLXXIX@VERT/MDJ to Nightfox on Tue Jan 7 17:22:22 2014
    By: Nightfox to MCMLXXIX on Mon Jan 06 2014 20:08:41

I didn't know json-service.js had to be running. I followed the instruction in sysop.doc, and it does not mention json-service or configuring the game t point to a server. It simply explains how to set up tetris.js in SCFG.

interbbs.doc has more information.. i suppose that's not a very good place for local setup instructions.. i'll ponder that today..

---
  • From MCMLXXIX@VERT/MDJ to Nightfox on Tue Jan 7 17:23:21 2014
    By: Nightfox to MCMLXXIX on Mon Jan 06 2014 20:16:45

I am running json-service.js in my services.ini, and my server.ini for Synchronetris is pointed to localhost (I left it as the default). I get the "socket disconnected" exception even with that configuration.

make sure the synchronetris section is on json-service.ini and is uncommented

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MCMLXXIX on Tue Jan 7 16:34:16 2014
    I didn't know json-service.js had to be running. I followed the instruction in sysop.doc, and it does not mention json-service or configuring the game t point to a server. It simply explains how to set up tetris.js in SCFG.

interbbs.doc has more information.. i suppose that's not a very good place for local setup instructions.. i'll ponder that today..

Yeah, I was looking at the sysop.doc that was included in the synchronetris directory. I'd think that would be the most logical place for documentation for all that is needed to set up the door game.

Nightfox

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Nightfox on Tue Jan 7 16:25:35 2014
    By: Nightfox to MCMLXXIX on Mon Jan 06 2014 08:08 pm

that's your command shell inheriting the exception, which is
    actually being thrown by the game. are you running your own instance
    of json-service.js in services.ini? is that where the game's
    server.ini file is pointing?

I didn't know json-service.js had to be running. I followed the instructions in sysop.doc, and it does not mention json-service or configuring the game to point to a server. It simply explains how to set up tetris.js in SCFG.

I don't think it does, by default netris connects to the broken bubble's server. Might try looking at the default .ini settings on the cvs server and set your board to that.

My server.ini is:

host=bbs.thebrokenbubble.com
    port=10088
    autoupdate=true

Connects and plays on TBB.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core - shodan.synchro.net:23 & :2323
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Android8675 on Tue Jan 7 21:20:11 2014
    By: Android8675 to Nightfox on Tue Jan 07 2014 08:25:35

I don't think it does, by default netris connects to the broken bubble's server. Might try looking at the default .ini settings on the cvs server and set your board to that.

This was true at one point, but is no longer the case. Pretty much every JSON-DB enabled game in the CVS defaults to looking for a JSON server at 'localhost' by default now.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From MCMLXXIX@VERT/MDJ to Nightfox on Tue Jan 7 21:54:12 2014
    By: Nightfox to MCMLXXIX on Tue Jan 07 2014 08:34:16

I didn't know json-service.js had to be running. I followed the instruction in sysop.doc, and it does not mention json-service or configuring the game t point to a server. It simply explains how to s up tetris.js in SCFG.

interbbs.doc has more information.. i suppose that's not a very good plac for local setup instructions.. i'll ponder that today..

Yeah, I was looking at the sysop.doc that was included in the synchronetris directory. I'd think that would be the most logical place for documentation for all that is needed to set up the door game.

well, the sysop.doc and interbbs.doc are carry-overs from when i was using a different type of interbbs service (a time when running locally did not require you to have a local service running)

I will update them today at some point

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MCMLXXIX on Tue Jan 7 20:16:27 2014

well, the sysop.doc and interbbs.doc are carry-overs from when i was using
    a different type of interbbs service (a time when running locally did not require you to have a local service running)

I will update them today at some point

If Synchronetris absolutely requires a server of some sort, I think sysop.doc should mention that and point sysops to the right direction to get it set up correctly - at least it should refer the sysop to interbbs.doc to continue the setup. Otherwise a sysop might not realize that there is any additional setup necessary beyond getting Synchronetris set up in SCFG.

Nightfox

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Android8675 on Wed Jan 8 00:38:47 2014
    By: Android8675 to Nightfox on Tue Jan 07 2014 08:25 am

My server.ini is:

host=bbs.thebrokenbubble.com
    port=10088
    autoupdate=true

Connects and plays on TBB.

you have to add
    cvs pollution=ON
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From MCMLXXIX@VERT/MDJ to Nightfox on Wed Jan 8 06:15:22 2014
    By: Nightfox to MCMLXXIX on Tue Jan 07 2014 12:16:27

If Synchronetris absolutely requires a server of some sort, I think sysop.do should mention that and point sysops to the right direction to get it set up correctly - at least it should refer the sysop to interbbs.doc to continue t setup. Otherwise a sysop might not realize that there is any additional set necessary beyond getting Synchronetris set up in SCFG.

settle down geronimo..

you were right, the docs were no good, i updated them.

---
  • From Bill McGarrity@VERT/TEQUILAM to MCMLXXIX on Wed Jan 8 08:42:00 2014
    MCMLXXIX wrote to Nightfox <=-

If Synchronetris absolutely requires a server of some sort, I think sysop.do should mention that and point sysops to the right direction to get it set up correctly - at least it should refer the sysop to interbbs.doc to continue t setup. Otherwise a sysop might not realize that there is any additional set necessary beyond getting Synchronetris set up in SCFG.

settle down geronimo..

you were right, the docs were no good, i updated them.

And you did good... :) Helped me get them up and running without an issue.

Thanks

Bill

Telnet: bbs.tequilamockingbirdonline.net
    IRC: irc.tequilamockingbirdonline.net Ports: 6661-6670 SSL: +6697
    Radio: radio.tequilamockingbirdonline.net:8010/live

... Motorcycles are everywhere... Look twice, save a life!!
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ TequilaMockingbird Online - TELNET: bbs.tequilamockingbirdonline.net